2014 Draft/Prospects Discussion

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Flipper_336 said:
PrometheusFaulk said:
Sounds like we need to set up some spite drills for the offseason. Pierre Garçon kicks puppies.
I've got a far simpler solution. I'm going to place £100 on the Redskins every week. They're guaranteed to lose then.
There you go. Way to take one (or 100) for the team, Flip.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
All right, two preseason games have gone by, and I think that I may as well take a crack at a mock draft before the season starts for college teams across the nation. I also wanted to shed some spotlight on some players that I'm a fan of drafting. I will not be including the Josh Gordy pick, even though it apparently is an unconditional pick. The reason for that is because I have no idea what round it is in, and I won't pretend to guess. The 1a. first round pick is from Washington (hey, it's fun to dream); the other picks are ours.

1a. Taylor Lewan, OT, Michigan.

Taylor-Lewan-Michigan.jpg

Saffold will be gone after this year. I love the guy's attitude, love his talent, love his passion to be the best, but he just can't stay healthy. Barksdale is decent, but the other tackles don't inspire any confidence.

Lewan's name has popped up throughout the college ranks as being one of the few linemen to have slowed down Jadeveon Clowney, one of the best defensive linemen to have broken through the college ranks in the last ten years. Lewan has also faced guys such as Stephon Tuitt of Notre Dame and has largely held his own, if not dominated them outright. He's been a guy that I've had my eye on since his junior year, and the Jake Long comparisons that he gets are very apt.

1b. Xavier Su'a-Filo, OG, UCLA.

ncf_i_Sua-Filo1_bl_400.jpg

Another big ugly? Sure, why not? Williams and Smith are free agents after this year, and I don't think either of them are the long-term answer at left guard. Dahl is getting older and his skillset is eroding. It's time to bring in some fresh blood to the offensive line.

Su'a-Filo is a very athletic offensive guard and one of the better pass-protectors in the class. He's able to pull and get to the second level with ease, and his fluidity reminds some of Jahri Evans. He plays left tackle at UCLA, but he'll have to move to guard for the next level.

2. Ra'Shede Hageman, DT, Minnesota.

4UFOT11041212.jpg

I'll be honest: this is a bit of conjecture. But what if Langford struggles again this year? What if Cudjo's injuries linger? What if Conrath doesn't progress like we hope? We could very well be looking for another starter at defensive tackle to pair with Brockers.

Hageman is a freakish athlete at 6'6", 311 lbs., but don't think that athleticism is all he has. In his first year as a starting defensive player (he was a tight end the year before), he recorded six sacks, 7.5 tackles for a loss, and a forced fumble. Not bad for someone who was just learning the position. He should be even better in his senior year. His potential is through the roof; he could end up being another Richard Seymour-type, in my opinion.

3. Bene Benwikere, FS, San Jose State.

UCAN%20Walter%20Camp%20Bene%20Benikwere%20Big%201%20.jpg

I like our safety depth. McLeod, Daniels, Davis, Hall...they've all shown something that'll make them stick on an NFL roster.. But we still lack that ballhawking safety in the secondary. We've lacked him since O.J. Atogwe, and I think it's high time we changed that.

Enter Benwikere and his seven interceptions as a junior. He's actually been compared to our very own Trumaine Johnson, so we know what we'd get with Benwikere. He's a hard hitter who lacks tackling fundamentals, but that can be coached up. The main concern is athleticism; right now, he plays cornerback, but he's just not enough of an athlete to stay there, so he'll be a safety at the next level. Either way, adding him and Hageman would be key to making this defense a perennial mainstay in the top five.

4. Jack Mewhort, OT/OG, Ohio State.

rn_g_jackmewhort_ms_600.jpg

Barksdale, so far, has played well in relief of Saffold. Barksdale also happens to be in the last year of his contract. Even if Barksdale is brought back, you may need to replace both Smith and Williams. The Su'a-Filo pick solves the former problem at left guard. This will solve the latter problem of having a reliable swing-tackle as insurance and depth.

Mewhort was once a highly-touted recruit for Ohio State, and he sat behind Mike Adams before earning a starting job at left tackle. He was arrested for public urination (along with Jake Stoneburner, the tight end that we faced last week) and resisting arrest, so there are minor character concerns. He's also far more suited to right tackle, as he is not athletic enough to protect the blindside. However, he could potentially start at guard in his first year, and Mewhort is - overall - a very talented and intelligent offensive lineman who could excel if put in the right situation. Think Alex Boone.

5. James Wilder Jr., RB, Florida State.

Florida-St-RB-in-jail-for-violating-probation-GQ1NR58D-x-large.jpg

Let's face it: we're going to need a true power back if we're going by committee. Stacy is thickly-built, but short, Richardson and Pead are small, and Ganaway and Cunningham are no locks to make the roster. So why not roll the dice on a big talented back with a few minor issues?

Yes, Wilder Jr. is the son of Tampa Bay's all-time leading rusher (forgive me, Selassie). He's a powerful running back who is extremely explosive for a man his size. However, he has had some character issues stemming from an arrest, probation violation, and failing to show up to court. Whether it's immaturity or a recurrent pattern, I don't know. But what I do know - or at least, what I believe - is that Wilder Jr. is the most talented true back in this class not named Lache Seastrunk. One publication has compared him to Latavius Murray, but I personally think that Wilder Jr. is much more talented.

6. Kony Ealy, DE, Missouri.

hi-res-6581050_crop_650.jpg

Sims is likely going to be gone after this year, so we're going to need another defensive end. Why not take a local product who's been compared to Aldon Smith in terms of pure talent?

Ealy hasn't had the production as of yet, which is why he's being picked in the sixth round. Now, that'll probably change in the coming months, but right now, I can afford to dream. Ealy has a devastating mixture of size, length, speed, and strength, and he's still learning how to use pass-rushing moves effectively. At 6'5", 275 lbs., he's remarkably similar to the aforementioned Smith, and we Mizzou fans have been raving about Ealy for the longest time. If he turns out to be half as good as what Smith was, he'll be a first round pick.

7. Josh Williford, OG, LSU.

121212163602-josh-williford-p1-single-image-cut.jpg

More depth is needed for guard, and somewhere down the line, you're going to have to replace Dahl. Why not do it with a mauler?

DR Ram is the first one who pointed out Williford in the Alabama/LSU championship game, and I was immediately intrigued. So I watched more of him...and I thought that he was one of the most impressive linemen on LSU's squad. He is a road-grader who paved holes for LSU's stable of running backs to go through, and while he had minor issues in pass-protection, they weren't because of slow feet like Brandon Washington or Ty Nsekhe were for us. They were just technique issues. The main concern with Williford is, like with all big linemen, conditioning (he's 6'6", 332 lbs.). Williford has had a concussion before, so that's also a concern. If Williford fully pans out, he could reach the potential that Brandon Brooks (Texans) had when he came out.

So, thoughts? Concerns? Critiques?

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
I'll take the best OG available, unsure of who that is this year, as that is arguably the Rams weakest position heading into 2013. I don't see Williams or Smith as a long term answer, although I think Williams can best a solid stopgap. Also get me a S to line up across from TMac. I like Stew but injuries could plague his season and we'd let him walk at the end of the season; he needs to play a solid 16 to return in 2013. I like the POTENTIAL we have in guys like McLeod, Daniels, and Davis, but you can't bank on one of them being a starter in 2014. I also think RT will need to be addressed following the season as I see it highly unlikely injury prone Saffold will return after his contract year, now that we have LT locked up. Barksdale may be solid if he plays RT this year, but I'm not sure if it will be enough for the Rams to think the position is solved.

So... IMO (before the 2013 regular season) the Rams would appear to need:

MAJOR

1. LG (Get me a Warmack this year)
2. S (I'd love a guy with range for days)
3. RT (If we could have an above avg. RT for ONCE imagine the time Sam could have)

MINOR

4. DT depth behind Brock & Langford. I like Cudjo he has a lot to offer, but he isn't a huge body
5. LB depth. We don't know what Rams will do with Dunbar, & Spoon is likely a stopgap
6. OL depth. An obvious weakness heading into 2013.
7. DB/WR always can use depth in these positions. Hell maybe we can even add someone w/KR ability for ONCE

Memento

Name
Jemma
I know what you guys are thinking: "He's already thinking of a mock draft at this point in the season? Is this guy crazy?" Why, yes, I am, thank you for noticing. :ww: :razzed: But seriously, I love doing mock drafts, even in the middle of the season. I don't know if people will appreciate it at this time, but it's something that I love to do, so I hope that people will appreciate it.

Like with the last mock draft, I will not be including the Josh Gordy pick, even though it is guaranteed/undisclosed. I've looked up the Colts picks in 2014, and while it's likely that it's either a fifth or sixth round pick (since they traded away their seventh and fourth round picks, and I can't imagine them trading away their second or third for Gordy), I can't be sure. So I'll be going with eight picks instead of nine. I also won't be picking the same players I picked before; I still like them all a lot, but I wanted to go with a different scenario with other players I like. So, without further ado, here we go:

1a. (Redskins pick) Jake Matthews, OT, Texas A&M.

jake-matthews-returns-aggies.jpg

This needs no explanation. We are in dire need of a total rebuild along the entire offensive line. Nobody's job should be safe after this season is done, with the lone exceptions of Jake Long and Barrett Jones. One - if not both - of our first round picks should be along the offensive line; if not, it will be a travesty of epic proportions.

What can be said about Matthews that hasn't already been said? He has the bloodlines, the tenacity, the athleticism, and the intelligence necessary to be an elite left tackle, which we haven't had since Orlando Pace. He'll start on the right side, due to Jake Long, but he will eventually be the successor when Long leaves via free agency.

1b. Ha'Sean Clinton-Dix, FS, Alabama.

Ha+Sean+Clinton+Dix+SEC+Championship+Alabama+Uz3bpTO7Sull.jpg

T.J. McDonald looks like a real gem, so long as he recovers from his leg injury. McLeod? Not as much; he's a great special teams player, but by no means should he be your starter unless something awful happens. Stewart and Giordano are likely gone, Daniels has had numerous injuries, and Davis has a lot to prove.

Ha'Sean "Haha" Clinton-Dix is known for more than his name. He's easily the best ballhawking safety in a much weaker safety class this year. In limited action last year (playing behind Robert Lester), he intercepted five passes, proving that he's the ballhawk that we desperately need.

2. Gabe Jackson, OG, Mississippi State.

DDFHVPMVXWQEEFR.20101209200948.jpg

Here we get Harvey Dahl's replacement. Dahl makes too much money at his age, and he is clearly on the decline. He, along with Wells, Shelley Smith, and Williams should be gone by the end of the year.

Enter the Gabe Jackson era. A mauler with a mean streak who is quite nimble on his feet, Jackson is not a man who will be pushed around at the next level. He will make our offensive line a pain to play against. Like with all men his size, Jackson's stamina will have to be watched, but he's a polished guard who still has a lot of potential left.

3. Arie Kouandijo, OG, Alabama.

11388189-large.jpg

I don't think I need to say much else about our offensive line. There should be at least three new starters (Barrett Jones/Tim Barnes, two draft picks; I'm done with going the expensive free agent route). In my opinion, four new young starters would not be amiss because at least then you can give them time to gel together.

Arie Kouandijo is the older brother of Cyrus Kouandijo, a potential first round pick, and he is a natural fit at left guard. Unlike Jackson, Kouandijo is a real technician and very mobile for his size. He will need to add strength for the next level, and he has had problems with injuries in the past, but he is a very talented guard who Nick Saban claimed was the second best offensive tackle he had on the roster, only behind his brother.

4. Isaiah Crowell, RB, Alabama State.

11996376-large.jpg

Our rushing attack is ranked around dead-last in the NFL. The offensive line should bear a good portion of the blame, but at some point, you need to look at the running backs we have. Richardson is a good third down back, Stacy hasn't gotten a shot, and Pead has potential, but I don't see any of them as being "the guy". It's a need that has to be addressed in this draft, even though the next draft is much more talented.

Crowell is someone that I would love to roll the dice on. He has numerous problems off the field. That much is true. He is also extremely talented, can take it to the house on any play, and has the strength and size to break tackles. And he knows that he can't afford any more issues off-the-field.

5. Charles Sawyer, CB, Ole Miss.

charles-sawyer-dui.jpg

We need help at cornerback badly. Cortland Finnegan is a great guy, but he's killing us on the field right now. Brandon McGee is a good backup, but I'd like to have someone with some safety experience as well. Just in case.

Sawyer may not be as highly touted as some other corners in the SEC, but don't let that fool you; he is every bit as good as his counterparts and then some. He's been forced around the field due to injuries to other players, playing both safety positions, cornerback, and - currently - the rover in a 4-2-5. Learning the nickleback position will be a cinch for him. He has ranked highly in pass-breakups and he had four interceptions last year as a junior, but the thing that impresses me the most is how willing he is in run-support; he almost seems to relish it. He does have a concern about a DUI, but otherwise, he's regarded as a leader on the team and a fan favorite.

6. Bruce Gaston, DT, Purdue.

Bruce-Gaston-Purdue-Boilermakers.jpg

I'll be frank: I'm not a fan of our current defensive tackle rotation. We aren't getting any real push or penetration in the run game or against the pass. Langford's been okay, but Cudjo has injury issues with his back (which some athletes never recover from) and Conrath looks like he's just a guy to me. I think that we need to address the depth at defensive tackle.

Gaston was the other guy across from Kawann Short, but there were times where he seemed even better than his second-round counterpart. He didn't have the year he wanted to have last year, but he is a natural pass-rusher who does well against the run. Purdue isn't a very good team either, and they were forced to play behind a lot due to their poor offense, which makes Gaston's statistics (84 tackles, 17.5 for a loss, four career sacks, two forced fumbles) all the more impressive.

7. Cornelius Lucas, OT, Kansas State.

20130108_mjr_su5_721.0_standard_352.0.jpg

You already heard my thoughts on the starters of the offensive line. Now we get to the depth. Joe Barksdale is a free agent this year, and there is no guarantee that we sign him. Mike Person is new to the system. Aside from those two? Nothing. Some new depth at tackle is sorely needed.

Lucas is a big man (6'8", 328 lbs.) who can play either right or left tackle. He is ironically much more sound in pass-protection than run-blocking, and doesn't play with much of a mean streak...but he's incredibly gifted when it comes to sheer athleticism and strength. He just needs a good offensive line coach to coach him up, but he can be a real gem if said offensive line coach can do that.

So, thoughts?

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I'd take Clinton Dix or Dion Bailey, both are ballhawks. Just please grab any ballhawk, we need one bad.

BTW, love your draft Memento.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
That's twice I've seen Clinton-Dix mocked to us already! Like the draft - maybe have concerns about 7th round pick - the o-liner. I'm nervous about linemen that don't "play with a mean streak" after the Jason Smith debacle - I'd like a real road grader - big mean nasty and can push the d-line back. I don't care if they've got sloppy technique and get beat by finesse guys once in a while - but as he's a 7th rounder I'll give you a pass here!! :ww:

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Memento said:
Okay...I'm going to go with my top thirty-two prospects (at the moment; this is all subject to change when the season starts). Don't know if anyone's interested, but oh well:

1. Jadeveon Clowney, DE, South Carolina - Best defensive player to come out in years; the best defensive end since Julius Peppers. Complete player with very few weaknesses.

2. Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Louisville - Best quarterback in a class full of them; may go number one overall if a quarterback-needy team is picking there. Pocket-passer with mobility, much like Bradford.

3. Taylor Lewan, OT, Michigan - Best offensive tackle; would've been a top ten pick in last year's class. Fared well against Clowney in their matchup.

4. Jake Matthews, OT, Texas A&M - Would be left tackle almost anywhere else, but was blocked by Luke Joeckel. Will get his chance to shine now that his former bookend has moved on.

5. Bradley Roby, CB, Ohio State - A better cornerback than Morris Claiborne when he came out; excellent man-coverage skills. Would have been a top pick in last year's draft.

6. Marqise Lee, WR, USC - Outshone Robert Woods, who was an impressive wideout in his own right; has everything you want except size. Will be tested now that Woods has left.

7. Austin Seferian-Jenkins, TE, Washington - The closest thing you'll ever see to Jimmy Graham; past DUI shouldn't scare teams from taking him. Teams should use him solely for receiving.

8. Cyrus Kouandjio, OT, Alabama - Alabama moved Barrett Jones from left tackle to center for him, and he more than lived up to his billing. Must now block for T.J. Yeldon without Chance Warmack.

9. Tahj Boyd, QB, Clemson - More than just a running quarterback, Boyd was clutch when the bowl game was on the line. Much better passer than given credit for and should be the number two quarterback when it's all said and done.

10. Anthony Barr, OLB, UCLA - Former fullback moved to outside linebacker where he excelled. Can he repeat his performance?

11. Stephon Tuitt, DE/DT, Notre Dame - Had an impressive season with twelve sacks; at 6'6" 300, could be a defensive end or defensive tackle in a 4-3. Is adept at pass-rushing and run-stopping.

12. Louis Nix III, DT, Notre Dame - Worry about conditioning at 340 lbs., but he wreaks havoc on most plays. Was a major cog in Notre Dame's stifling defense.

13. C.J. Mosley, MLB, Alabama - Another player who may have done better had he entered the previous draft; extremely good instincts and athleticism. Will probably be first round pick, just not top fifteen.

14. Loucheiz Purifoy, CB, Florida - Dangerous athlete that Florida might use at wide receiver as well as cornerback. Very natural cornerback who reminds me of Janoris Jenkins when he played there.

15. Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson - Dynamite with the ball in his hands, but can he stay clean off the field? And how will he fare without Hopkins?

16. De'Anthony Thomas, RB/WR/weapon, Oregon - Electric player, but concerns about size (5'9", 173) are very valid. In my opinion, will be better off in Tavon Austin role.

17. Haha Clinton-Dix, FS, Alabama - Had five interceptions in limited playing time. Need to see more of his coverage, but ballhawking skills can't be denied.

18. Anthony Johnson, DT, LSU - Called "The Freak" at LSU because of athleticism. Has yet to put it together; potential linemate for Brockers?

19. Antonio Richardson, OT, Tennessee - Held his own against Clowney (i.e., didn't get beat as much), and moved top prospect Dallas Thomas to guard so he could play. Will shoot up draft boards.

20. Adrian Hubbard, OLB, Alabama - Explosive athlete off the edge; will fill role that Courtney Upshaw left behind. Massive potential.

21. Kyle Van Noy, OLB, BYU - Caught fire at the end of year; bowl game was one for the ages. Creates splash plays like his life depends on it. Could've switched Hubbard and Van Noy's spots.

22. Ifo Ekpre-Olomu, CB, Oregon - Average-sized but surprisingly physical cornerback; might not be able to get away with it in NFL. Picked off a lot of passes.

23. Marcus Roberson, CB, Florida - Another great corner from Florida. Roberson has solid coverage skills; isn't the weapon that Purifoy is.

24. Will Sutton, DE/DT, Arizona State - Dominates the line of scrimmage, but can he overcome size? Has had minor injury problems.

25. Ed Reynolds, FS, Stanford - Definitely a ballhawk, but could definitely stand to be more physical. Not impressed with PAC 12 Championship tape.

26. David Yankey, OT, Stanford - Solid tackle, but reminds me of Riley Reiff. Faces a murderer's row of pass-rushers, so stock may drop.

27. Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M - Almost didn't put him on list. Will be drafted highly, but he's far too light to last in the NFL.

28. Quandre Diggs, CB, Texas - Yet another defensive back from Texas; ballhawking skills are great.

29. Daniel McCullers, NT, Tennessee - Conditioning certainly needs work at 370 lbs.; won't provide pass-rush. Will clog up running lanes, and is much more athletic than given credit for.

30. Gabe Jackson, OG, Mississippi State - Vastly underrated guard; has been dominant against SEC competition for numerous years. In my honest opinion, top guard in class.

31. Xavier Su'a-Filo, OG, UCLA - Returned from Mormon mission and dominated PAC 12 competition. Was quietly one of the best interior linemen in the nation.

32. Lache Seastrunk, RB, Baylor - In my opinion, the best pure running back in class. Impressive speed, good power, all-around good back.

Criticisms are definitely welcome, and I'll accept all of them. This is my first time building a big board (normally, I just pay attention to individual prospects), so I won't be perfect. So please don't hesitate to mention anything I did wrong or if you disagree with anything.
I don' no how long it took to compile the list but kudo's for the effort and by the way there are some of my fav's there 3,4,6,10,13,1415,17,18 etc....

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Well, looks like Clinton-Dix might slip now(lets hope)

He has been suspended indefinitely for rules violation

<a class="postlink" href="http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1796310-ha-ha-clinton-dix-suspended-indefinitely-by-alabama-for-rules-violation?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=programming-national" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1796 ... g-national</a>

Memento

Name
Jemma
Tron said:
Well, looks like Clinton-Dix might slip now(lets hope)

He has been suspended indefinitely for rules violation

<a class="postlink" href="http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1796310-ha-ha-clinton-dix-suspended-indefinitely-by-alabama-for-rules-violation?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=programming-national" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1796 ... g-national</a>

I'm not unduly worried about that. There's quite a few players that were suspended for rules violations in college that have turned out just fine in the NFL. I don't think he'll slip all that much, to be honest; it's not like he got arrested or anything like that.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
I have no problem taking Lewan or Matthews. Hell I'd take them both.
I would have no problem using the first 4 picks on the Oline. We're not going to win till we get the Oline fixed. I'd keep Jones and Barnes for center and let the rest go. There all on the downhill side or never going to be's.
And to the people that say you can't have 4 rooks starting I say can they be any worse than the Vets we have now.

We need a starting CB for sure. You have to have 3 starters now. Really we needed that last year but we just kept passing them by.....

Sadly it looks like WR will be a need again. Tho I want to sign the best WR in FA just to see if makes a dif.

Looks like there will be maybe 12- 15 elite players in this draft, which is a lot. After that it levels off.
We should get 1 of those for sure. We have a lot of talent but we lack elite players.

Sneed needs to pick up his game this year.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
Memento, I'm a big fan of your early season mock. I'm thinking along those lines too. I think Crowell is a good gamble pick, which we Rams fans have become accustomed to every draft with Fish. I'd love a top tackle or guard, and I agree with the philosophy of bringing in a true LT prospect like Lewan or Matthews to immediately fill RT for a few years until Long nears the end of his contract. You saw Jax & KC had the same idea w/their picks playing RT (initially). I agree though that we need a top guard too. Dahl is due another $3 mill next year plus a bonus, but I'm not sure its guaranteed (I'd release him). We haven't had a ball hawking FS since OJ, and I'd love a center field type FS to pair with TMac. CB should always be a consideration on every team. DT depth can use help as you said.

I might add a different wrinkle myself, if 2 things happen. 1. If the #2s across from Givens (Quick, Pettis, Bailey) continue to have an underwhelming season, I see no signs indicating we have a #1 caliber or even #2 caliber option in house. Givens is a decent #1, and at the very least a very good #2 on most teams. He needs help on the other side though. 2. If Sammy Watkins has another great season with no off field issues, he is my guy. He's likely a top 10 pick, but I think the kid is worth it (again, assuming he continues his ascension). To me he's a poor mans Julio Jones.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I really like your last mock. There are some real solid players there.

I'm definitely in the camp that if we don't fix the offensive line, then how can we ever even evaluate any of the other players on offense.

With Pead in the doghouse, and until I see something from Stacy, it seems that we may need a RB, and I agree with Yamahopper that we don't appear to have a #1 WR. Quick is the only guy that can fit that bill, but he's taking a long time to get there. We should know by the end of the season on him. I like Givens as our #2.

We need a another safety, I think, as McLeod had a great opportunity, but I don't see any type of improvement as the season rolls along. I don't see him as the guy, maybe the nickel, but that's it.

You can never have too many quality corners on your team, and we are short one at the moment.

Keep it up.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My first crazy person mock thus far was posted in another thread, it had us hiring Lovie, Hue Jackson and Marinelli along with cutting Dahl, Finnegan, Wells and Langford and letting Saffold walk.

We brought in Henry Melton and Major Wright in FA. And we traded Sam Bradford to the Vikings for a 2nd and a conditional 3rd(becomes a 2nd if the Vikes win 10+ games and a 1st if they go to the SB).

Here's the draft:
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.draftnikcentral.com/dream-draft/view.cfm?id=106" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.draftnikcentral.com/dream-dr ... cfm?id=106</a>
1st - Jake Matthews OT Texas A&M
1st(Wash) - Blake Bortles QB UCF
2nd - Cedric Ogbuehi OG/OT Texas A&M
2nd(Min) - Lache Seastrunk HB Baylor
3rd - Jon Halapio OG Florida
4th - Andre Hal CB Vanderbilt
5th - Denicos Allen WLB Michigan State
6th - Aaron Donald DT Pittsburgh
7th - J.C. Copeland FB LSU

As you can see, I went heavy on the OL and offense as a whole. Offense would be ridiculously young with a likely starting line-up of:
QB: Blake Bortles
HB: Lache Seastrunk
FB: J.C. Copeland
X: Chris Givens
Z: Austin Pettis
S: Tavon Austin
Y: Jared Cook
LT: Jake Long
LG: Cedric Ogbuehi
C: Barrett Jones
RG: Jon Halapio
RT: Jake Matthews

But our defense would be stout imo with Lovie's Cover 2:
LDE: Chris Long
NT: Michael Brockers
UT: Henry Melton
RDE: Robert Quinn
WLB: Denicos Allen
MLB: James Laurinaitis
SLB: Alec Ogletree
LCB: Janoris Jenkins
RCB: Trumaine Johnson
SLCB: Brandon McGee/Andre Hal
FS: Major Wright
SS: T.J. McDonald

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
IMO, priorities are OL, DB and HB. If a quality LB is there mid draft, then get em! OL is # 1!!!

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
jrry32 said:
My first crazy person mock thus far was posted in another thread, it had us hiring Lovie, Hue Jackson and Marinelli along with cutting Dahl, Finnegan, Wells and Langford and letting Saffold walk.

We brought in Henry Melton and Major Wright in FA. And we traded Sam Bradford to the Vikings for a 2nd and a conditional 3rd(becomes a 2nd if the Vikes win 10+ games and a 1st if they go to the SB).

Here's the draft:
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.draftnikcentral.com/dream-draft/view.cfm?id=106" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.draftnikcentral.com/dream-dr ... cfm?id=106</a>
1st - Jake Matthews OT Texas A&M
1st(Wash) - Blake Bortles QB UCF
2nd - Cedric Ogbuehi OG/OT Texas A&M
2nd(Min) - Lache Seastrunk HB Baylor
3rd - Jon Halapio OG Florida
4th - Andre Hal CB Vanderbilt
5th - Denicos Allen WLB Michigan State
6th - Aaron Donald DT Pittsburgh
7th - J.C. Copeland FB LSU

As you can see, I went heavy on the OL and offense as a whole. Offense would be ridiculously young with a likely starting line-up of:
QB: Blake Bortles
HB: Lache Seastrunk
FB: J.C. Copeland
X: Chris Givens
Z: Austin Pettis
S: Tavon Austin
Y: Jared Cook
LT: Jake Long
LG: Cedric Ogbuehi
C: Barrett Jones
RG: Jon Halapio
RT: Jake Matthews

But our defense would be stout imo with Lovie's Cover 2:
LDE: Chris Long
NT: Michael Brockers
UT: Henry Melton
RDE: Robert Quinn
WLB: Denicos Allen
MLB: James Laurinaitis
SLB: Alec Ogletree
LCB: Janoris Jenkins
RCB: Trumaine Johnson
SLCB: Brandon McGee/Andre Hal
FS: Major Wright
SS: T.J. McDonald

i-feel-like-im-taking-crazy-pills.gif

As much as people don't want to admit to it, You can probably still get a first for Bradford. He's the only person I don't agree letting go out of your list though.

I'm not sure about this Bortles kid going in the first either.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ChrisW said:
I'm not sure about this Bortles kid going in the first either.

Check him out. Criminally underrated right now. Best pocket presence in CFB...by far. I thought he had 1st round tools last year. Came back and his technique has taken major steps forward. Also seems more poised.

He might not get recognition until draft season but he's a seriously good prospect.

Memento

Name
Jemma
Okay, at this point in the season, I think that another mock draft would not be amiss. Like my other two drafts, I will not include the Josh Gordy pick for the aforementioned reason. However, there's one thing that will be different: I will attempt to do trades. Yes, that's right, you heard me right: trades. As in plural. So let's get started, shall we?

1a (6th overall): TRADED to the Cleveland Browns for their two first round picks (13th and 28th overall picks, hence referred to as 1c. and 1d.) After the Brandon Weeden and RG3 debacles, it's my personal belief that the Browns are going to want to take the best quarterback that's available, not merely the best that falls to them. They've been stockpiling picks, yes, but honestly, that could be because they want to stockpile to trade up. They won't get a chance at any of the top quarterbacks if they stay at 13, even with the needs that other teams ahead of them have.

1c. (13th overall): TRADED to the Dallas Cowboys for their first and second round picks (23rd and 53rd hence referred to as 1e. and 2b. Our first second round pick will now be referred to as 2a.) We've already traded with the Cowboys with the Michael Brockers trade. In this scenario, they jump up to take a sliding Ha'sean Clinton-Dix, while we move down and snag a second round pick in the process. Win-win trade.

1b. (11th overall): Cameron Erving, OT, Florida State.

CameronErving.jpg

Quite possibly one of the more underrated tackles in this class. Everyone talks about Jake Matthews, Taylor Lewan, and Cyrus Kouandijo - and for good reason. However, don't let that fool you; Erving has the potential to be an elite left tackle as well, and his stock has officially shot through the roof after the thrashing of Clemson by Florida State. Erving is a major reason why new freshman sensation Jameis Winston had all day to throw in that game and why the running backs gashed Clemson. He kept Vic Beasley, a likely top twenty-five pick in this year's class who had nine sacks on the season, to a mere two tackles. He has some problems with technique, but all of them are correctable. What's important is that he's aggressive, physical, and athletic.

1e. (23rd overall): Ra'Shede Hageman, DT, Minnesota.

dm_130729_Hageman_Interview.jpg

Has one of the highest upsides in this year's class. Langford could very well be cut with his salary (he makes over four million, which is too much for what he does, and it increases from there). Hageman is arguably the most athletic defensive tackle in college, as he is capable of 360 dunks at 6'6", 316 lbs. But I'm not here to talk about that. I'm here because he's been getting his stats while having two offensive linemen guarding him on every snap. Hageman currently has some off-the-field baggage, according to Todd McShay (although I question McShay's credibility on this), and he'll turn 24 in August of next year. But he's surprisingly technically-sound for a guy who was a tight end only two years ago, and he looks very, very similar to J.J. Watt when he came out.

1d. (28th overall): Gabe Jackson, OG, Mississippi State.

com_120724_clow_gjackson_120725.jpg

I love Dahl's attitude, don't get me wrong. But he's on the wrong side of thirty, his overall skillset isn't what it used to be, and he's simply too expensive for what he provides. But Jackson has a mean streak of his own, and he's arguably the top right guard in this class (Cyril Richardson, to me, doesn't really carry his weight as well as Jackson does). Jackson would provide an immediate upgrade to our offensive line, even with Dahl leaving. He's powerful at the point of attack, doesn't give up any ground in the running game, and is a surprisingly sound pass-blocker.

2a. (41st overall): Loucheiz Purifoy, CB, Florida.

loucheiz-purifoy-suspended.jpg

Another Floridian cornerback with swagger? Count me in. Purifoy is even more of an explosive athlete than Jenkins is and has the skillset to be a great cornerback for a long time. A temporary suspension set him back a bit, and he was not very noticeable in the game against Missouri, but all in all, Purifoy could immediately start at cornerback and move Johnson over to free safety, solving two problems with one pick.

2b. (53rd overall): Xavier Su'a-Filo, OG, UCLA.

627686.jpg

One of my favorite linemen in this class. Su'a-Filo is a red-shirt junior who could easily be picked this highly based on what he's done at UCLA protecting Brett Hundley. Unlike Jackson, Su'a-Filo excels mostly at pass-blocking where I didn't see a single mistake made by him in that department in the PAC-12 Championship game (impressive, considering he was going up against Stanford's tough front seven). His run-blocking helped Franklin (Green Bay) go for three scores in the game, and Franklin ran directly behind Su'a-Filo on two of those plays. He would be an immediate upgrade over our left guards.

3a. (71st overall): JaWuan James, OT, Tennessee.

ncf_a_james01jr_600.jpg

Our swing tackle of the future. Once a highly-touted prospect, James fell to the way-side when Dallas Thomas - and eventually Antonio Richardson - came to Tennessee. He played right tackle and immediately became one of the best linemen in the SEC. He can certainly play left tackle in a pinch, but his primary role is right tackle. James has a nasty streak the size of Texas, and is a tremendous run-blocker because of it. He will play up to the competition rather than down; there are times where he's been beat once and immediately kicks his game into another gear. Eventually, when Jake Long is released, injured, or plays out his contract (unlikely), James will be there to step in.

4a. (101st overall): Isaiah Crowell, RB, Alabama State.

nMhBn.AuSt.70.jpeg

A running back with second round potential and a sixth round head. I honestly have no faith left in Isaiah Pead, Daryl Richardson is merely an okay change-of-pace back, and I have serious questions about Cunningham's ability to stay healthy. That's where Crowell comes in. He'll give the Rams a nice one-two punch with Stacy and compliment Stacy's tendency to rack up consistent yards with his ability to take it to the house on any play. Will we eventually need another running back? Sure. Is this a gamble that could go horrifically wrong? Yes. But Crowell is extremely talented and definitely worth the risk in the fourth round.

5a. (131st overall): Bryn Renner, QB, North Carolina.

North_Carolina_Miami_Fo%288%29_t607.jpg

A competent quarterback who won't lose you games. Renner is a lot more skilled than meets the eye. He has a very accurate arm, is a good leader, and is probably one of the better quarterbacks that UNC has had. Renner is quite similar to Bradford, and could easily fill in if he goes down again.

6a. (161st overall): Bene Benwikere, CB, San Jose State.

hi-res-5621440_crop_650.jpg

Depth at cornerback/safety due to Johnson moving to safety. Benwikere is someone I've mentioned before, but he's slipped a ton. He's still the same physical ballhawk, but he had a major injury against Utah State where he was motionless on the field and had to be carted off. He currently has a concussion, and he wasn't having a very good year this year, so teams will be scared off by that, as well as his athletic shortcomings. I'd pounce in the sixth round, as you're getting a Johnson-like prospect, except more physical.

7a (191st overall): Colt Lyerla, TE, Oregon

USATSI_6602526.jpg

A guy who's even more of a gamble than Crowell. I've really soured on Jared Cook Jr. He should have to compete for his job next year after his lackadaisical effort in blocking. Lyerla was busted on cocaine charges recently, but from everything I've heard, he's not a bad guy. He merely grew up in a really troubled situation with a dysfunctional family and really needs direction at this point. He could very well go undrafted at this point, but his statistics are amazing for a guy who was primarily used to block, he's an incredible athlete, and he was projected as a first-round pick by some before his stock was derailed by off-the-field issues. Some team's going to take a chance on him, and I hope it's us because he could be our version of Jimmy Graham, albeit a lesser one.

Final Roster:

QB - Sam Bradford, Bryn Renner.

RB - Zac Stacy, Isaiah Crowell, Daryl Richardson.

WR - Brian Quick, Chris Givens, Tavon Austin, Austin Pettis, Stedman Bailey.

TE - Jared Cook Jr., Lance Kendricks, Cory Harkey, Colt Lyerla.

OL - Jake Long, Tim Barnes, Barrett Jones, Cameron Erving, Gabe Jackson, Xavier Su'a-Filo, JuWuan James, UDFA.

DE - Chris Long, Robert Quinn, William Hayes, Eugene Sims, Gerald Rivers.

DT - Michael Brockers, Ra'Shede Hageman, Jermelle Cudjo, Matt Conrath/UDFA.

LB - James Laurinaitis, Alec Ogletree, Jo-Lonn Dunbar, Ray-Ray Armstrong, Phillip Steward, Daren Bates.

CB - Janoris Jenkins, Loucheiz Purifoy, Brandon McGee, Bene Benwikere.

S - Trumaine Johnson, T.J. McDonald, Rodney McLeod, Matt Daniels, Cody Davis.

ST (Special Teams) - Greg Zuerlein, Johnny Hekker, Jake McQuaide.

Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I see a common thread and I tend to agree. This team needs to go heavy on the oline.

It's very possible Jake Long is the only returning starter (with Barksdale and B Jones possibly promoted from within).

Memento

Name
Jemma
I see a common thread and I tend to agree. This team needs to go heavy on the oline.

It's very possible Jake Long is the only returning starter (with Barksdale and B Jones possibly promoted from within).

And Barksdale is an unrestricted free agent this year (as he was released by Oakland and signed to a one-year contract by us). So, yes, we definitely need help at O-line (every position), cornerback, safety, running back, and even defensive tackle.

iced

Clinton-Dix is a very intriguing option at free safety; he had five interceptions while splitting time with Robert Lester last year. Lot of intriguing options at safety this year, although it's not as deep as last year's. I would personally attempt cartwheels if the Redskins sucked enough for us to pick Clowney. Lots of ways we could use a pick like that.

Forget it - Tampa will be drafting Clowney. Count on it .