2014 Draft/Prospects Discussion

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Because some of us (coughMementocough) can never get enough of this. Because some of us have way too much free time on their hands. :razzed: Because some of us can't get any sleep at night and think of topics to boost their post count. :ww: Oh, and I'm very excited with the players that are coming out in a very deep and talented draft in 2014 and that we have two first round picks to take advantage of this golden opportunity and eight (maybe nine) picks to utilize at the start of the draft.

There's another pick that I'm not entirely certain about: the undisclosed pick that we received after dealing Josh Gordy to the Colts. While I'm of the belief that it's unconditional (which would give us at least nine picks, depending on compensation), I honestly can't say that I'm completely certain that it is.

Also remember that this isn't just about mock drafts and the like. If you want to share information about your college team's players, then please tell us. I would personally love to hear what you guys have to say and learn more about your players (because scouting - albeit in my spare time, and with not nearly as much knowledge as members like DR Ram and jrry - is still a learning experience for me, and it's something that I truly want to know more about).

If this thread isn't appreciated at this time (which I can understand; I'm extremely excited for the season to start as well), the mods have my permission to take it down, and I apologize for making it. Otherwise...let the fun begin!

:cheese:

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Give me Clowney and Clinton-Dix(or whoever is the best Safety) in the 1st round. That is all i want...

Memento

Name
Jemma
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Tron said:
Give me Clowney and Clinton-Dix(or whoever is the best Safety) in the 1st round. That is all i want...

Clinton-Dix is a very intriguing option at free safety; he had five interceptions while splitting time with Robert Lester last year. Lot of intriguing options at safety this year, although it's not as deep as last year's. I would personally attempt cartwheels if the Redskins sucked enough for us to pick Clowney. Lots of ways we could use a pick like that.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
Here are the top Safetys in next years draft according to Walter football:
1) Haha Clinton-Dix*, S, Alabama 5 Ints, 4 PBUs 1 FF Projected Round 1-2
2) Ed Reynolds*, S, Stanford 6 Ints, 5 PBUs Projected Round 1-2
3) Kenny Ladler, S, Vanderbilt 1 Int, 1 PBU Projected Round 2-3 (Appears to be a SS)
4) Dion Bailey*, S/OLB, USC 4 Ints, 5 PBUs Projected Round 2-3
5) Vinnie Sunseri*, S, Alabama 2 Ints, 3 PBUs Projected Round 2-3 (Appears to be a SS)

You guys on the west coast should pay some attention to the two players in red next year. Maybe the Fish goes USC again in the second round.

<a class="postlink" href="http://walterfootball.com/draft2014S.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://walterfootball.com/draft2014S.php</a>

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
albefree69 said:
Here are the top Safetys in next years draft according to Walter football:
1) Haha Clinton-Dix*, S, Alabama 5 Ints, 4 PBUs 1 FF Projected Round 1-2
2) Ed Reynolds*, S, Stanford 6 Ints, 5 PBUs Projected Round 1-2
3) Kenny Ladler, S, Vanderbilt 1 Int, 1 PBU Projected Round 2-3 (Appears to be a SS)
4) Dion Bailey*, S/OLB, USC 4 Ints, 5 PBUs Projected Round 2-3
5) Vinnie Sunseri*, S, Alabama 2 Ints, 3 PBUs Projected Round 2-3 (Appears to be a SS)

You guys on the west coast should pay some attention to the two players in red next year. Maybe the Fish goes USC again in the second round.

<a class="postlink" href="http://walterfootball.com/draft2014S.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://walterfootball.com/draft2014S.php</a>
Or #5 who is an excellent yute

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
Thordaddy posited:

I understand that we don't use the designations of FS and SS anymore but I'll be hugely disappointed if we draft another Safety whose skills would label him as a SS on another team. There are many occasions where we need a great center fielder IMO.

nighttrain

Legend
albefree69 said:
Thordaddy posited:

I understand that we don't use the designations of FS and SS anymore but I'll be hugely disappointed if we draft another Safety whose skills would label him as a SS on another team. There are many occasions where we need a great center fielder IMO.
with 4.4 speed and 6'2'' and 205 and growing, i'm gonna keep my hopes on Cody Davis til they cut him
train

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
nighttrain onboard the train:
with 4.4 speed and 6'2'' and 205 and growing, i'm gonna keep my hopes on Cody Davis til they cut him

That train is pretty full. :lol:

It would certainly be great if we didn't have to expend any resources at safety next year but I'm not holding my breath. Cody probably has the best chance among the UDFAs of making the team but that sez more about what we have at safety than it does about Cody. He wasn't drafted for a reason. I'll be happy if he becomes a really good ST player.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Al missing the pun

albefree69 said:
Thordaddy posited:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVjbf-dHjW0[/youtube]

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
Thordaddy only slightly underestimating my mental acuity:
Al missing the pun

I didn't miss it I just didn't have a good comeback. :lol:

It did make me want to expand my thoughts about the "(appears to be a SS)" tag I put on two of the yutes.

ljramsfan

Pro Bowler
Name
LJ
I wanna be like Jay Zymugt (sp?) and see highlights :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Memento

Name
Jemma
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Okay...I'm going to go with my top thirty-two prospects (at the moment; this is all subject to change when the season starts). Don't know if anyone's interested, but oh well:

1. Jadeveon Clowney, DE, South Carolina - Best defensive player to come out in years; the best defensive end since Julius Peppers. Complete player with very few weaknesses.

2. Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Louisville - Best quarterback in a class full of them; may go number one overall if a quarterback-needy team is picking there. Pocket-passer with mobility, much like Bradford.

3. Taylor Lewan, OT, Michigan - Best offensive tackle; would've been a top ten pick in last year's class. Fared well against Clowney in their matchup.

4. Jake Matthews, OT, Texas A&M - Would be left tackle almost anywhere else, but was blocked by Luke Joeckel. Will get his chance to shine now that his former bookend has moved on.

5. Bradley Roby, CB, Ohio State - A better cornerback than Morris Claiborne when he came out; excellent man-coverage skills. Would have been a top pick in last year's draft.

6. Marqise Lee, WR, USC - Outshone Robert Woods, who was an impressive wideout in his own right; has everything you want except size. Will be tested now that Woods has left.

7. Austin Seferian-Jenkins, TE, Washington - The closest thing you'll ever see to Jimmy Graham; past DUI shouldn't scare teams from taking him. Teams should use him solely for receiving.

8. Cyrus Kouandjio, OT, Alabama - Alabama moved Barrett Jones from left tackle to center for him, and he more than lived up to his billing. Must now block for T.J. Yeldon without Chance Warmack.

9. Tahj Boyd, QB, Clemson - More than just a running quarterback, Boyd was clutch when the bowl game was on the line. Much better passer than given credit for and should be the number two quarterback when it's all said and done.

10. Anthony Barr, OLB, UCLA - Former fullback moved to outside linebacker where he excelled. Can he repeat his performance?

11. Stephon Tuitt, DE/DT, Notre Dame - Had an impressive season with twelve sacks; at 6'6" 300, could be a defensive end or defensive tackle in a 4-3. Is adept at pass-rushing and run-stopping.

12. Louis Nix III, DT, Notre Dame - Worry about conditioning at 340 lbs., but he wreaks havoc on most plays. Was a major cog in Notre Dame's stifling defense.

13. C.J. Mosley, MLB, Alabama - Another player who may have done better had he entered the previous draft; extremely good instincts and athleticism. Will probably be first round pick, just not top fifteen.

14. Loucheiz Purifoy, CB, Florida - Dangerous athlete that Florida might use at wide receiver as well as cornerback. Very natural cornerback who reminds me of Janoris Jenkins when he played there.

15. Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson - Dynamite with the ball in his hands, but can he stay clean off the field? And how will he fare without Hopkins?

16. De'Anthony Thomas, RB/WR/weapon, Oregon - Electric player, but concerns about size (5'9", 173) are very valid. In my opinion, will be better off in Tavon Austin role.

17. Haha Clinton-Dix, FS, Alabama - Had five interceptions in limited playing time. Need to see more of his coverage, but ballhawking skills can't be denied.

18. Anthony Johnson, DT, LSU - Called "The Freak" at LSU because of athleticism. Has yet to put it together; potential linemate for Brockers?

19. Antonio Richardson, OT, Tennessee - Held his own against Clowney (i.e., didn't get beat as much), and moved top prospect Dallas Thomas to guard so he could play. Will shoot up draft boards.

20. Adrian Hubbard, OLB, Alabama - Explosive athlete off the edge; will fill role that Courtney Upshaw left behind. Massive potential.

21. Kyle Van Noy, OLB, BYU - Caught fire at the end of year; bowl game was one for the ages. Creates splash plays like his life depends on it. Could've switched Hubbard and Van Noy's spots.

22. Ifo Ekpre-Olomu, CB, Oregon - Average-sized but surprisingly physical cornerback; might not be able to get away with it in NFL. Picked off a lot of passes.

23. Marcus Roberson, CB, Florida - Another great corner from Florida. Roberson has solid coverage skills; isn't the weapon that Purifoy is.

24. Will Sutton, DE/DT, Arizona State - Dominates the line of scrimmage, but can he overcome size? Has had minor injury problems.

25. Ed Reynolds, FS, Stanford - Definitely a ballhawk, but could definitely stand to be more physical. Not impressed with PAC 12 Championship tape.

26. David Yankey, OT, Stanford - Solid tackle, but reminds me of Riley Reiff. Faces a murderer's row of pass-rushers, so stock may drop.

27. Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M - Almost didn't put him on list. Will be drafted highly, but he's far too light to last in the NFL.

28. Quandre Diggs, CB, Texas - Yet another defensive back from Texas; ballhawking skills are great.

29. Daniel McCullers, NT, Tennessee - Conditioning certainly needs work at 370 lbs.; won't provide pass-rush. Will clog up running lanes, and is much more athletic than given credit for.

30. Gabe Jackson, OG, Mississippi State - Vastly underrated guard; has been dominant against SEC competition for numerous years. In my honest opinion, top guard in class.

31. Xavier Su'a-Filo, OG, UCLA - Returned from Mormon mission and dominated PAC 12 competition. Was quietly one of the best interior linemen in the nation.

32. Lache Seastrunk, RB, Baylor - In my opinion, the best pure running back in class. Impressive speed, good power, all-around good back.

Criticisms are definitely welcome, and I'll accept all of them. This is my first time building a big board (normally, I just pay attention to individual prospects), so I won't be perfect. So please don't hesitate to mention anything I did wrong or if you disagree with anything.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Tron said:

If they feel like the O is clicking well enough to go for two defensive players with the #1's that means this team is really kicking ass and the WR's are really playing great football........so I hope you're right LOL.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
About time we got this started.

If we're looking at needs Oline would come first. If the Skins suck we might have a shot at 1 of the top Tackles. CB would be another option as would Safety. Purifoy or Clinton-Dix could be in play when the Rams pick late in the 1st.
But then again it's hard to tell what needs the Rams will have until last years draft class gets on the field.
Rams have enough talent on the roster now to be in the odd position that going BPA might yield a player of lesser upside than what they have now, but going for exact needs will hurt the overall talent level.

Nice list.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
Tron said:

Wouldn't that be a great dream:). Clowney is a beast but will be a top 5 pick.

Guess we're just going to have to get used to picking bottom of round 1 :cheese:

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
bwdenverram said:

Guess we're just going to have to get used to picking bottom of round 1 :cheese:

Well why not let the Skins suck it up so we can pick Clowney at #2 and then get a S or DT at #32 :mrgreen:

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
LesBaker said:
If they feel like the O is clicking well enough to go for two defensive players with the #1's that means this team is really kicking ass and the WR's are really playing great football........so I hope you're right LOL.

I hadn't even thought about the offense lol, i just think Clowney is a stud and right now we still need Safety help. you make a great point, hopefully we are right :)

PrometheusFaulk

Starter
I'm not meaning this a knock on Langford, but my ideal first round at this point for '14 is Timmy Jernigan and Clinton-Dix.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
Tron said:
bwdenverram said:

Well why not let the Skins suck it up so we can pick Clowney at #2 and then get a S or DT at #32 :mrgreen:

I wish the Skins were that bad for sure. Even without RGIII they wouldn't be that bad. But with 2 1st rounders again, sure does give us some options for another year. We'll get talent no matter what.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
nighttrain said:
albefree69 said:
Thordaddy posited:

train

I'm on this, I love his intangibles. I think he has immense potential. Also, whoever said that they wanted Cloney, your high. That ain't happening. Barring any major setbacks. That man child will be number 1. And we don't need a DE. I'm not a draftnit like a lot of you. But that I'm sure of.