1st Round | Pick 1, Rams Select: QB Jared Goff

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Not an argument. It's what happened. They didn't draft Goff to later consider whether he was better than Keenum.

I don't even know what to say.

Goff is obviously the future and the Franchise QB.

However, the lesson supposedly learned after promoting Foles was that the lack of competition was bad and as an organization, they classified that as a mistake. Anointing a player without competition was a mistake. That's the lesson.

The day after drafting Goff, they state that the goal is for him to start the season and they are entertaining trade offers for Keenum, the only QB on the roster even remotely capable of starting week one other than Goff and the only one who will have the entire playbook fully engrained.

So, it's a mistake to not have a competition (their words)...and their not gonna have a competition.

Seems logical to call that a mistake. I'm not saying Goff wouldn't win. I'm saying not having the competition is a mistake...which is the very thing the Rams FO has repeatedly said this off-season.

By the way, if I misspell Goff, it's because the iPhone is enjoying trolling me with various auto-corrects for him...trying to get me in trouble...

MarkMyWords

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Mark
Keenum, the only QB on the roster even remotely capable of starting week one other than Goff

This sure is true. I'll be pissed if we trade Keenum. Even if Goff comes out right away completely winning the starting job, it only takes one person stepping on his foot wrong, etc... and we're screwed w/o a quality backup. We can't afford a losing streak like we had last year.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This sure is true. I'll be pissed if we trade Keenum. Even if Goff comes out right away completely winning the starting job, it only takes one person stepping on his foot wrong, etc... and we're screwed w/o a quality backup. We can't afford a losing streak like we had last year.

Didn't we draft Mannion for that purpose?

MarkMyWords

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Mark

Yeah and we'll see where he is in training camp if there are enough snaps to go around. Being from Oregon I'm certainly rooting for him but don't think he's even going to be at Keenum's level yet.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack

I dunno why we drafted him. He got aced last off-season cuz Fisher was so preoccupied with the Keenum v Davis backup battle (which was rediculous because when you look at reps and preseason game time, Keenum was the pick all along) and in the prep to get Goff ready, by necessity Mannion will get aced again.

I don't remember which very early QB it was, but in order to get him ready, that team didn't have enough snaps to properly get the backup fully up to speed. This CBA is a real problem for a lot of reasons...

Now, if Groh actually adds elements like we all hope, then Keenum's going to need reps. And we should all want him to get the reps as backups should. Which leaves Mannion at #3 grasping at air...again...worse...with no reps and no chance to compete, how can he possibly be prepared to step in and do...anything???

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I dunno why we drafted him. He got aced last off-season cuz Fisher was so preoccupied with the Keenum v Davis backup battle (which was rediculous because when you look at reps and preseason game time, Keenum was the pick all along) and in the prep to get Goff ready, by necessity Mannion will get aced again.

I don't remember which very early QB it was, but in order to get him ready, that team didn't have enough snaps to properly get the backup fully up to speed. This CBA is a real problem for a lot of reasons...

Now, if Groh actually adds elements like we all hope, then Keenum's going to need reps. And we should all want him to get the reps as backups should. Which leaves Mannion at #3 grasping at air...again...worse...with no reps and no chance to compete, how can he possibly be prepared to step in and do...anything???

He said if we trade Keenum. I was working off that assumption. We traded Keenum and Mannion is the backup.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
If they trade Keenum, I'll bet all my ROD bucks that they make Foles the backup... Without a competition... Although...I could lose that one cuz a) Fisher does like to dither over backup QBs and b) he already has lost trust in Foles. So there's a chance he'd open it up. I'd still make the bet, though...

So, I dunno. Logistically, losing Keenum would just be awful planning no matter how you slice it.

I don't see either Foles or Mannion having much of a future here, but they're just gonna let him get mop up reps and then either let him walk a la Chase Daniel or trade him in 2 years and then have no back up.

Having one QB isn't enough. Ask Rynie how just having Romo and two scrubs every year works out when he gets hurt...

RamsFlash80

Pro Bowler
Goff is a RAM! He was the QB I wanted from the start so im happy as hell! Happy days are coming to us Ram bros!
:yess::yess::yess::yay::yay::yay:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
A stat I found interesting because some people make a big deal out of Goff's career record...
Goff's career record when his team holds the opposing team to 24 points or less: 6-0

That's right. Goff's defense held a team to 24 points or less only 6 times in 3 years.

They held teams to 31 points or less only 11 times in 3 years. Goff's record in those 11 games? 9-2.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
A stat I found interesting because some people make a big deal out of Goff's career record...
Goff's career record when his team holds the opposing team to 24 points or less: 6-0

That's right. Goff's defense held a team to 24 points or less only 6 times in 3 years.

They held teams to 31 points or less only 11 times in 3 years. Goff's record in those 11 games? 9-2.
But but but he doesn't have a winning record!!!!!

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

You'd have to halve those for the nfl because college defenses are horrible.

Leuzer

Daniel Leu
goff01-jpg.13380

What was the name of the bad guy from Tron?

God that's gonna drive me nuts.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You'd have to halve those for the nfl because college defenses are horrible.

For reference, the last 3 QBs who were drafted #1 overall:
Winston (2015)
Career record when his team holds the opposing team to 24 points or less: 18-0 (66.7% of his starts)
Career record when his team holds the opposing team to 31 points or less: 23-0 (85.2% of his starts)

Luck (2012)
Career record when his team holds the opposing team to 24 points or less: 25-1 (68.4% of his starts)
Career record when his team holds the opposing team to 31 points or less: 27-2 (76.3% of his starts)

Newton (2011)
Career record when his team holds the opposing team to 24 points or less: 7-0 (50% of his starts)
Career record when his team holds the opposing team to 31 points or less: 12-0 (85.7% of his starts)

And then there's Goff...
Career record when his team holds the opposing team to 24 points or less: 6-0 (16.2% of his starts)
Career record when his team holds the opposing team to 31 points or less: 9-2 (29.7% of his starts)

That should you that Goff's defense was anything but normal. It was abnormally terrible. His record in games where the score was between 25 and 31 points isn't as strong as the other three but he was also on a FAR worse team than all three.

Basically, the point I'm making is that the people who hold Goff's career record against him don't know what they're talking about. And Goff is about to go from having one of the worst defenses in football to having one of the best. Can't wait to see the relief that kid will feel having a HB and a defense to take pressure off of him.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Winston (2015)
Career record when his team holds the opposing team to 24 points or less: 18-0 (66.7% of his starts)
Career record when his team holds the opposing team to 31 points or less: 23-0 (85.2% of his starts)

Luck (2012)
Career record when his team holds the opposing team to 24 points or less: 25-1 (68.4% of his starts)
Career record when his team holds the opposing team to 31 points or less: 27-2 (76.3% of his starts)

Newton (2011)
Career record when his team holds the opposing team to 24 points or less: 7-0 (50% of his starts)
Career record when his team holds the opposing team to 31 points or less: 12-0 (85.7% of his starts)

And then there's Goff...
Career record when his team holds the opposing team to 24 points or less: 6-0 (16.2% of his starts)
Career record when his team holds the opposing team to 31 points or less: 9-2 (29.7% of his starts)

That should you that Goff's defense was anything but normal. It was abnormally terrible. His record in games where the score was between 25 and 31 points isn't as strong as the other three but he was also on a FAR worse team than all three.

Basically, the point I'm making is that the people who hold Goff's career record against him don't know what they're talking about. And Goff is about to go from having one of the worst defenses in football to having one of the best. Can't wait to see the relief that kid will feel having a HB and a defense to take pressure off of him.

I know you don't and you were just making a point about his team but you can't expect him to have that type of record in the nfl. You would have to halve the amount of points scored. Instead of 24 and 31, it should be around 12 and 16 to expect that kind of record in the nfl.

Logy

UDFA
Name
Logy
Winston (2015)

Luck (2012)

Newton (2011)

And then there's Goff...

As a Cal fan, 2013 and 2014 were hard to watch. No matter the down or field position, every snap by the opposition had a very real threat of going for a touchdown. 3rd and 15 from their own 5 and the draw goes 95 yards for a touchdown. When 60 percent of the defense wasn't on the preseason two deep you know its going to be a long game. When you have to Google a player number you can't identify and you find that their previous experience was in the band and you're not surprised you know it's Saturday and your a Cal fan. What made you love the team is that the offense never complained, their response was #Drop50.