1st Round | Pick 1, Rams Select: QB Jared Goff

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I know you don't and you were just making a point about his team but you can't expect him to have that type of record in the nfl. You would have to halve the amount of points scored. Instead of 24 and 31, it should be around 12 and 16 to expect that kind of record in the nfl.

I don't expect him to have that record in the NFL. My point was that people point to his college record to criticize him but ignore how abnormally bad his defense was.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
I noticed this look on Goff face too, It was just before the Pick was made by the Rams. I thought " He's scared because he really wants to be the #1 Pick NOT #2!" At least that's what I read into it!:D
Maybe he really wanted to be a Brown!:rolleyes:

Logy

UDFA
Name
Logy
I don't expect him to have that record in the NFL. My point was that people point to his college record to criticize him but ignore how abnormally bad his defense was.

Cal's defense gave up 45.9 points a game his freshman year and one of their opponents was a bad FCS school. In a way you can blame Goff because they may have given up fewer points if he had played both ways. The fewest points they gave up was 30 and they only held three teams to under 40. There are bad defenses and there are defenses that are biblically bad. To top it off, Goff never got to pad his stats playing against the Cal defense.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Yes. That's why i said i know you don't. (y)

T-REX

"King of the tyrant lizards"
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Cool pic
image.jpeg

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
My god people, chill.

He looked scared and alone, is anyone saying he didn't?! Wentz looked confident and supported, is anyone saying otherwise?!

I didn't like the obvious contrast, and I don't care at all what anyone thinks about it. That doesn't mean I'm trashing the kid or won't support him.

Confident and not scared:

View attachment 13372
View attachment 13373

Scared:

View attachment 13374
View attachment 13375

I guess we see what we want to see. I see Goff's look as a serious, get down to business look. I see Wentz look as "Whoa, thats cool dude". I don't see a scared look. Besides, anyone really think he didn't already know he was the pick?

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I can think of plenty of college QB that had that cockiness. Johnny Manziel, Ryan Leaf, Matt Leinert and Kerry Collins were all cocky, confident guys. I don't think it makes or breaks a kid to have it or not

Good point. I think you need a blend of humble and confident. Bradford was too humble at times. Goff doesn't have that air of cockiness it seems. But he doesn't seem overwhelmed by all of this either. Maybe he'll have that right blend.

Its not like he's stepping into something new. He's been training for years working on his craft. The only thing different is the level of competition and the system. A natural quarterback will make the adjustment.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I live that quiet confidence .... The whole I don't have to tell you I'm the best ..... Everyone knows it ....kinda thing

Yeah, my favorite saying at work is "Contrary to popular belief, I don't know everything. It just seems like it". :sneaky:

nighttrain

Legend
Rams fans just can't seem to help themselves and it gets old after a while. There's just so much negativity, we could go 3-0 to start next season with all around good performances and the overall mood of the board will be negative. It gets old reading it constantly.
been a Ram fan forever, and the all time optimist, this season i finally get to see a better than .500 team, and that has been quite a long time
train

Name
Chris
Damn am I out of it. I didn't even know they had taken NFL snaps yet!

Sorry dude, Goff looked scared. I give a crap because we aren't talking about sociable or likeable, we're talking about scared under pressure. May not mean anything in the end, but it's not what you want to see.

Having watched Goff for three years now, most recently in person throwing for the Dallas cowboys in Berkeley the guy has ice running through his viens. He wasn't scared, if anything you saw the emotion of a guy who went from winning 1 game as an 18 year old freshman to a guy who just had his name called out as the first draft pick in the NFL.

baconandbread

Super Secret Starting DT
For reference, the last 3 QBs who were drafted #1 overall:
Winston (2015)
Career record when his team holds the opposing team to 24 points or less: 18-0 (66.7% of his starts)
Career record when his team holds the opposing team to 31 points or less: 23-0 (85.2% of his starts)

Luck (2012)
Career record when his team holds the opposing team to 24 points or less: 25-1 (68.4% of his starts)
Career record when his team holds the opposing team to 31 points or less: 27-2 (76.3% of his starts)

Newton (2011)
Career record when his team holds the opposing team to 24 points or less: 7-0 (50% of his starts)
Career record when his team holds the opposing team to 31 points or less: 12-0 (85.7% of his starts)

And then there's Goff...
Career record when his team holds the opposing team to 24 points or less: 6-0 (16.2% of his starts)
Career record when his team holds the opposing team to 31 points or less: 9-2 (29.7% of his starts)

That should you that Goff's defense was anything but normal. It was abnormally terrible. His record in games where the score was between 25 and 31 points isn't as strong as the other three but he was also on a FAR worse team than all three.

Basically, the point I'm making is that the people who hold Goff's career record against him don't know what they're talking about. And Goff is about to go from having one of the worst defenses in football to having one of the best. Can't wait to see the relief that kid will feel having a HB and a defense to take pressure off of him.

True...wins and losses aren't really a quantifiable quarterback stat. You would need to look more at how he dealt with certain situations eg. 4th quarter comebacks in close games etc.

RamzFanz

Damnit
I mean. He could have had Chipotle before the draft and it was a bad batch and was trying not to crap his pants.

I've had that look of pant-crapping fear too from bad food.

I mean damn, I don't even really care much about the Rams anymore but getting so worked up with about arm chair psychoanalysis of a kid's facial expression is the funniest thing ever.

I'm a Goff fan, not really a Ram fan anymore. I should hate the pick either way. But the kid will be good.

Sure, could have been. That would be a scared look too.

Don't shart! Don't shart! Don't shart!

Goff01.JPG

Yep, that works too. I could have said, does anyone else think Goff looked like he was trying to not shit his pants? And the same mob would have shown to defend him, deny it, and accuse me of debauchery while demanding I immediately retract or leave.

I simply made an observation and the mob arrived. He looked scared and I would have prefered he didn't. Wentz looked confident and I liked it. We can all be honest about it. It probably means nothing.

The sky is not falling. To pretend someone is arm chair psychoanalyzing from observing their demeanor is disingenuous. It was a fair observation. He looked scared, Wentz didn't.

Wentz01.JPG

You know, if it were the other way around and someone observed it, I would say, yeah, I saw that too, and move on. I was fine with either pick.

Go Goff! Go Rams!

RamzFanz

Damnit
I guess we see what we want to see. I see Goff's look as a serious, get down to business look. I see Wentz look as "Whoa, thats cool dude". I don't see a scared look. Besides, anyone really think he didn't already know he was the pick?

Well, there you go, a fair observation. I disagree, but that's what happens with observations. You do not have to leave the forum and I'm not going to accuse you of anything.

I have a ton of experience with scared looks on young Marine's faces. That's scared, IMHO.

Last edited:

OregonRamsFan

All Horned Up
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think that look was, " I am a dyed in the wool niners fan about to get picked number one by the team I hate the most!" Ha ha. Go Rams!