08.08.24 Dallas Cowboys scrimmage

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Regarding Jones' knee and the potential to add a starting caliber Linebacker, there is so little currently out there in LB free agents. Some have mentioned cut-downs but those are mostly right before the start of the Regular Season, and there may not be much talent available. Of course, if any team would look to make a pre-season or early season trade, it would be the Rams and their aggressive approach to roster building.

The one player (free agent) I wonder about is former All Pro Shaquille (don't call me Darius any longer) Leonard. That guy was so freaking good before his back injury. It's been two full seasons since then, so maybe he is really done.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I have read about Nick Hampton's development in more than one article leaving me curious. We haven't gotten much from the coaches themselves but they are busy with all those rookies and 2nd-year defensive players whose impact has already been felt and are expected to be the catalyst for our defensive makeover in the post-AD era

Los Angeles Rams Unveil Secret Weapon for Their Defense’s Future​

August 11, 2024

The retirement of Aaron Donald left a significant void in the Los Angeles Rams’ defensive line. Recognized as one of the NFL’s most formidable defensive forces, Donald’s achievements included 543 tackles, 111 sacks, 24 forced fumbles, seven fumble recoveries, and 21 pass deflections over his decade-long career with the Rams.

In response to losing such a pivotal player, the Rams are currently reshaping their defense, highlighting younger talents such as Jared Verse and Byron Young. Additionally, attention is turning towards Nick Hampton, a prospect who could provide unexpected value to the team, according to Chris Trapasso from CBS Sports.

Trapasso expressed particular enthusiasm for Hampton’s development in the NFL, noting, "In a critical situational role, Hampton’s performance in his second year is what excites me the most." Despite initial concerns about his size and strength at the professional level—Hampton measured 6-foot-2 and 236 pounds at the 2023 combine—he has now had a year to acclimate to the NFL and time during the offseason to increase his physical capabilities.
Drafted 161st overall in the fifth round of the 2023 NFL Draft, Hampton’s rookie season was on the quieter side, with just four tackles in 10 games. However, his collegiate record at Appalachian State was impressive, boasting 176 total tackles, 26.5 sacks, six forced fumbles, and three fumble recoveries. He was named third-team All-Sun Belt in 2021 and first-team All-Sun Belt in 2022.

Trapasso’s confidence in Hampton stems from his explosive college performance, where he was characterized by his swift initial movement, agility around the edge, and a repertoire of sophisticated pass-rushing techniques. With added strength, Hampton is anticipated to enhance his NFL play by adding a robust power-driven approach to his existing speed.
While Hampton may not be a full-time player yet, standing alongside talents like Ernest Jones, Verse, and Young, he is poised to be a strategic playmaker in specific situations that could exploit weaknesses in opposing teams’ offenses.
It's a nice read but I wish the optimism was based more on what Hampton has shown in OTAs and since the start of Training Camp. Seem more like optimistic speculation from a sports-writer that liked Hampton coming out of college and entering the Draft.

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
We will know more about Jones's status in the coming couple of weeks. If Jones continues to struggle with that knee issue
McVay and the team will certainly address this. I can't imagine the team will accept limping into the season with any position group.
I have concern, of course, we all do but I am going to stay positive.
Whether he EJ is injured or not..... I've said this since last year....if EJ misses time, we're screwed right now. The drop off after him makes us a different team....

I'd like to see Fatukasi and Omar Speights get some run today... but even so, to me they're more guys you'd like up next to EJ.... being THE ILB ..after EJ, honestly Reeder is the only guy I'd feel slightly comfortable with.... so in other words...we need to get another ILB on this roster.

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It's a nice read but I wish the optimism was based more on what Hampton has shown in OTAs and since the start of Training Camp. Seem more like optimistic speculation from a sports-writer that liked Hampton coming out of college and entering the Draft.

Hopefully we see that he has developed especially physically (adding some pounds) today

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Regarding Jones' knee and the potential to add a starting caliber Linebacker, there is so little currently out there in LB free agents. Some have mentioned cut-downs but those are mostly right before the start of the Regular Season, and there may not be much talent available. Of course, if any team would look to make a pre-season or early season trade, it would be the Rams and their aggressive approach to roster building.

The one player (free agent) I wonder about is former All Pro Shaquille (don't call me Darius any longer) Leonard. That guy was so freaking good before his back injury. It's been two full seasons since then, so maybe he is really done.

He claims to be in good shape

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
The good news is we have time to address the EJ situation in a better manner than we would during the season.
We have to trust that McSnead is very aware of the impact that losing EJ for an extended time would have.

Oh and we get to face this guy today
IMG_5783.jpeg

LOURam85

UDFA
Williams doesn’t have an injury history. Whites doctor is the Rams team doctor. I trust that he okayed his health.

But to your point. We could say that about every position group. WR - Pula is injured, Kupp has a history.
OL -Aleric and Rob have had past injuries.

Anyone can go down at any time.
Yes but the cb is already a big ?

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame

Good call on Leonard. Is he available? And wanting to play still? I am pretty sure he is cooked from his back injury sadly. He was an outstanding player beforehand. His name was mentioned before and I voted to pass and address LB elsewhere. But the Rams opted to address other position groups instead. And we are now thin enough at LB that he might be worth a look. Maybe the time off did his body good.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Good call on Leonard. Is he available? And wanting to play still? I am pretty sure he is cooked from his back injury sadly. He was an outstanding player beforehand. His name was mentioned before and I voted to pass and address LB elsewhere. But the Rams opted to address other position groups instead. And we are now thin enough at LB that he might be worth a look. Maybe the time off did his body good.
He's a free agent but that's probably indicative of his decline.

There are lists of remaining free agents; and the LB group is not good ... in my opinion.