Worst Rams Draft ever

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The 2000 Draft was pretty horrible as well. The longest one of them stayed a Ram was 4 years, the rest were less, and didn't get much from any of them really.

Untill I looked into it I had forgotten most of that draft except for the Canidate pick. Really bad draft.
I honestly think the Canidate pick was a combination of a bad draft class and the fear Marshall Faulk would retire. There wasn't any other RB selected for quite a while, and the only really successful pick we missed out on was Marvel Smith... and we didn't need to draft a first round OT.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
1996 always comes to mind for me, too. I bought into all of it. And as Kennison had a good rookie year, and all of those other great athletes . . . but I wasn't all that savvy, either. But the "triange times" for all of those guys were awesome. Only Conwell could play, and they drafted him to be Moose Johnston and had to move him back to TE. Yeah 06 and 07 were bad, but 1996 . . . and after 1996 you could never had said to me we would win Super Bowl in 1999.

In 1999 Jim Rome, after the Rams Titans game in Tenny, said Super Bowl was going to be Rams and Titans. I thought he was nuts. He was right.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I honestly think the Canidate pick was a combination of a bad draft class and the fear Marshall Faulk would retire. There wasn't any other RB selected for quite a while, and the only really successful pick we missed out on was Marvel Smith... and we didn't need to draft a first round OT.

Was still a bad draft class regardless, no one we picked really did shit. I agree it wasnt a good draft class, Was actually really bad except for a few who we couldnt grab. Still was horrible, not even good depth.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
khl4lxw.png
That draft makes the Baby Jesus cry

Boffo97

Name
Dave
We drafted 2 TEs in the first 3 rounds :confused:
I believe the thinking at the time was that one of them was sure to work out... and that supposedly the Rams debated Klopfenstein vs. Byrd, went with Klop, then thought Byrd slid further than he should.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
In case anyone forgot how the Rams got so..... SO bad for so.... SO long.... those drafts in 06 & 07 outta be a cold, wet reminder. <shiver>

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
Also noteworthy: The great Free Agent classes that went to supplement those stellar draft classes!
Fahkir Brown, Corey Chavous, La'roi Glover, Will Witherspoon in 2006
Drew Bennet, Todd Johnson, Randy McMichael, Todd Steussie in 2007

RFIP

When they drafted Carriker as I was SCREAMING at the fucking tv to "DRAFT DARRELLE REVIS" I wanted to literally off somebody!

BTW, I'm an Aliquippa grad so I am partial to my boys; Revis, Ty Law, Sean Gilbert, Jon Baldwin, Mike Ditka, etc.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
Also noteworthy: The great Free Agent classes that went to supplement those stellar draft classes!
Fahkir Brown, Corey Chavous, La'roi Glover, Will Witherspoon in 2006
Drew Bennet, Todd Johnson, Randy McMichael, Todd Steussie in 2007
Chavous was decent, Witherspoon better than that... but the rest of that... yeah...

Drew Bennett got millions of dollars to play in 15 games, have 34 receptions out of 74 targets for 379 yards and 3 touchdowns.

Oh, and he also forced out Isaac Bruce, who went and played for the 49ers.

I'm not sure you can be more pathetic if you try.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
image.jpg

Tye Hill was the worst... He didn't deserve to even be a backup...

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Its no wonder the refrigerator of talent ran out with those drafts. Rams started with a buffet fit for a king in '99 and then tried to keep it fresh by ordering McNuggets using the draft day drive thru window.

Well my friends,i've got to time on my hands tonight!
Just for fun i went back and here's an overlook at the draft day "hits" leading up to the GSOT era starting with the 1991 draft thru the 1999 draft...along with other "hits" that didn't make it to the 1999 roster for one reason or another(FA/trade/Injury).

'91-Todd Lyght CB 1st
'91-Roman Phifer LB 2nd

'92-Sean Gilbert DT 1st
'92 Todd Kinchen WR/KR/PR 3rd

'93-Jerome Bettis RB 1st
'93-Troy Drayton TE 2nd(debatable)

'94-Isaac Bruce WR 2nd
'94-Toby Wright S 2nd
'94-Keith Lyle S 3rd

'95-Kevin Carter DE 1st

'96-Ernie Conwell TE 2nd
'96-Fred Miller OT 5th

'97-Orlando Pace OT 1st
'97-Dexter McCleon CB 2nd
'97-Ryan Tucker C 4th

'98-Grant Wistrom DE 1st
'98-Robert Holcombe RB/FB 2nd
'98-Leonard Little LB/DE 3rd
'98-Az-Zahir Hakim WR/PR 4th
'98-Roland Williams TE 4th

'99-Torry Holt WR 1st
'99-Dre Bly CB 2nd
CHAMPIONSHIP!
'91 thru '99 drafts looked pretty damn good as a collective don't they?

I'd hate to compare those nine years of drafting with the following nine years ('00 thru '08)....but fuk it. Lets do that!
'01-Ryan Pickett and M.Manumaleuna. Solid. Both went on to have quality careers elsewhere. A.Archuleta contributed to wins and losses equally IMO.
'03-Tinoisamoa,K.Curtis and S.McDonald were nice picks.
'04-Steven Jackson who piled up over 13,000 all purpose yards.
'05-R.Bartell,OJ Atogwe,R.Incognito,Ryan Fitzpatrick and Madison Hedgecock. Nice draft actually,except that none of them stayed a Ram for long enough.
'08-Chris Long
^
Wow. Did i leave anybody out?
Cheers to Les Snead and a few picks left behind by Billy Devaney. String together a few more drafts like we've had recently and we could be on to something again.

Last edited:

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Its no wonder the refrigerator of talent ran out with those drafts. Rams started with a buffet fit for a king in '99 and then tried to keep it fresh by ordering McNuggets using the draft day drive thru window.

Well my friends,i've got to time on my hands tonight!
Just for fun i went back and here's an overlook at the draft day "hits" leading up to the GSOT era starting with the 1991 draft thru the 1999 draft...along with other "hits" that didn't make it to the 1999 roster for one reason or another(FA/trade/Injury).

'91-Todd Lyght CB 1st
'91-Roman Phifer LB 2nd

'92-Sean Gilbert DT 1st
'92 Todd Kinchen WR/KR/PR 3rd

'93-Jerome Bettis RB 1st
'93-Troy Drayton TE 2nd(debatable)

'94-Isaac Bruce WR 2nd
'94-Toby Wright S 2nd
'94-Keith Lyle S 3rd

'95-Kevin Carter DE 1st

'96-Ernie Conwell TE 2nd
'96-Fred Miller OT 5th

'97-Orlando Pace OT 1st
'97-Dexter McCleon CB 2nd
'97-Ryan Tucker C 4th

'98-Grant Wistrom DE 1st
'98-Robert Holcombe RB/FB 2nd
'98-Leonard Little LB/DE 3rd
'98-Az-Zahir Hakim WR/PR 4th
'98-Roland Williams TE 4th

'99-Torry Holt WR 1st
'99-Dre Bly CB 2nd
CHAMPIONSHIP!
'91 thru '99 drafts looked pretty damn good as a collective don't they?

I'd hate to compare those nine years of drafting with the following nine years ('00 thru '08)....but fuk it. Lets do that!
'01-Ryan Pickett and M.Manumaleuna. Solid. Both went on to have quality careers elsewhere. A.Archuleta contributed to wins and losses equally IMO.
'03-Tinoisamoa,K.Curtis and S.McDonald were nice picks.
'04-Steven Jackson who piled up over 13,000 all purpose yards.
'05-R.Bartell,OJ Atogwe,R.Incognito,Ryan Fitzpatrick and Madison Hedgecock. Nice draft actually,except that none of them stayed a Ram for long enough.
'08-Chris Long
^
Wow. Did i leave anybody out?
Cheers to Les Snead and a few picks left behind by Billy Devaney. String together a few more drafts like we've had recently and we could be on to something again.
That '98 draft looked pretty good didn't it. That was a very big part of our team. Also, though he wasn't drafted, London Fletcher was an UDFA in '98 I believe

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
That '98 draft looked pretty good didn't it. That was a very big part of our team. Also, though he wasn't drafted, London Fletcher was an UDFA in '98 I believe
You are correct. Fletcher was a '98 UDFA.

Look at the way the OLine was built...
LT Orlando Pace('97 1st rd)
G Adam Timmerman('99 FA)
C Mike Gruttadauria('96 FA) / Andy McCollum('99 FA)
G Tom Nutten('98 FA)
RT Ryan Tucker('97 4th rd) / Fred Miller('96 5th)

It's time to get back to adding pieces there.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That 2006 draft makes me sick every time I look at it.
Several of those absolute complete disasters of a draft plus coaching choices that were also complete misses gave us the worst run in Rams history. It's like we didn't even draft and lost big money. The guys picked would have failed anywhere, but we sure picked the worst of the worst. Remember as a kid, the awkward clumsy kid picked last, we somehow gravitated towards the "needs work" guys every time for a couple of years. Browns fans, I feel your pain.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
In retrospect Az in the fourth round was the steal of that draft class. What a late round addition that turned out to be eh.

Flipper_336

Starter
Name
Carl
In case anyone forgot how the Rams got so..... SO bad for so.... SO long.... those drafts in 06 & 07 outta be a cold, wet reminder. <shiver>
Throw in Jason Smith in '09 as well; he was arguably the biggest bust of them all. With one or two notable exceptions, our drafting through the first decade of this millennium has been awful. Such a contrast to the 90s drafting posted above.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
You are correct. Fletcher was a '98 UDFA.

Look at the way the OLine was built...
LT Orlando Pace('97 1st rd)
G Adam Timmerman('99 FA)
C Mike Gruttadauria('96 FA) / Andy McCollum('99 FA)
G Tom Nutten('98 FA)
RT Ryan Tucker('97 4th rd) / Fred Miller('96 5th)

It's time to get back to adding pieces there.

And then no one took the time to supplement it. Well not with any decent pieces anyway. John St. Clair was taken in 2000, and atrocious. Two other O-linemen were taken and out of the league within 2 years. One lineman in 2002, don't think Travis Scott stuck around for any length of time.
One lineman in 2003, out of the league by 2004
One lineman in 2004, gone from the Rams by 2006
Then they must've realized that shit was going to hit the fan in 2005 Alex Barron, Ritchie and Claude Terrell.
And we know the rest of the story from there on out

Apparently they just had a firm belief in the guys they had and didn't really care too much about drafting for depth. It makes those injury racked seasons in 06, 07 08 seem a bit more understandable.
I'd never really looked into this before now. I knew there were some truly shitty drafts for a decade, but :oops:

Boffo97

Name
Dave
Throw in Jason Smith in '09 as well; he was arguably the biggest bust of them all. With one or two notable exceptions, our drafting through the first decade of this millennium has been awful. Such a contrast to the 90s drafting posted above.
But with Smith, there's always that nagging question of who would you have wanted to draft instead?

If we had to do all over again, probably Crabtree. But he would have been considered a reach at that position, and hasn't played to that kind of level yet.

Possibly the worst draft class I've ever seen, at least at the top. Devaney's mistake wasn't leaving someone better on the table, but assuming a tackle was a "safe pick" in a bad draft.