Why do YOU think our passing offense is terrible?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
IMo Foles is the biggest reason at this point. I've said this from the first day of training camp. He has the arm to make all the throws. His issue is reading what the defenses are doing. When his first read is there and he can get the ball out "on time" he's fine. When he has to go thru his progressions or look to a secondary option he gets jittery in the pocket and more often than not he makes an ill advised throw (usually off his back foot) into coverage.

I also don't think he is very accurate. There have been countless throws that go down as "drops" by the receivers that are either high or behind them. One example that I can use is the last play of the Pittsburgh game. Britt has to go high to catch a pass and when he is taken to the ground the ball comes loose. Britt is tagged with a drop. Yet the throw itself was the issue.

Also I think he tends to want to throw the ball outside the numbers way too much. He hesitates to get the ball to guys going across the field. Can't count the number of times he has overthrown Austin on a basic out route. Sailing the ball over his head. But doesn't seem to want to throw the same routes to Quick. Who by the way has been on the field a whole lot more than most realize but just doesn't get the targets.

I hate to say this but I see a lot of Kellon Clemens in Foles albeit with a better arm. When he steps in to a deep dig route and completes that throw with any consistency then I may believe he can be something more. But I don't recall him even attempting one single throw on a deep crossing route all year.

The other thing I'll say. And this is on Cignetti and the scheme. Where are the slants to Britt and Quick? These big body receivers should be automatic whenever they want it maybe a first down slant on occasion? (See Fitzgerald and Floyd)!

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Do you think we've just fielded gun shy QB's the last several years?(Foles included)
I'm not buying that anymore.
No. Its not a problem you can isolate, really. Meh receivers, defensive-minded head coaches, constant turnover on the O-line, average coordinators, and youth/inexperience across the board.

For 7 years now.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Well mentioning Britt and Quick in the same sentence as Fitzgerald....
I wonder what those two guys would look like in this scheme. Being asked to run deep sideline routes and not much more. Britt is targeted at least 3 times a game but yet isn't asked to run a slant utilizing his size and strength. Say what you want about either Quick or Britt. You use them the same way Palmer uses Fitzgerald and Floyd and I think you might be shocked at the results.

Memphis Ram

Legend
IMo Foles is the biggest reason at this point. I've said this from the first day of training camp. He has the arm to make all the throws. His issue is reading what the defenses are doing. When his first read is there and he can get the ball out "on time" he's fine. When he has to go thru his progressions or look to a secondary option he gets jittery in the pocket and more often than not he makes an ill advised throw (usually off his back foot) into coverage.

I also don't think he is very accurate. There have been countless throws that go down as "drops" by the receivers that are either high or behind them. One example that I can use is the last play of the Pittsburgh game. Britt has to go high to catch a pass and when he is taken to the ground the ball comes loose. Britt is tagged with a drop. Yet the throw itself was the issue.

Also I think he tends to want to throw the ball outside the numbers way too much. He hesitates to get the ball to guys going across the field. Can't count the number of times he has overthrown Austin on a basic out route. Sailing the ball over his head. But doesn't seem to want to throw the same routes to Quick. Who by the way has been on the field a whole lot more than most realize but just doesn't get the targets.

I hate to say this but I see a lot of Kellon Clemens in Foles albeit with a better arm. When he steps in to a deep dig route and completes that throw with any consistency then I may believe he can be something more. But I don't recall him even attempting one single throw on a deep crossing route all year.

The other thing I'll say. And this is on Cignetti and the scheme. Where are the slants to Britt and Quick? These big body receivers should be automatic whenever they want it maybe a first down slant on occasion? (See Fitzgerald and Floyd)!

standing-ovation-gif.gif

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Britt is targeted at least 3 times a game but yet isn't asked to run a slant utilizing his size and strength. Say what you want about either Quick or Britt. You use them the same way Palmer uses Fitzgerald and Floyd and I think you might be shocked at the results.
Exactly.....

And good to hearing &reading ya Coach....Still don't get why people don't believe these are some of the easiest plays in the book...and set up future plays (slant & go or SLUGO) and we should be using them...every week...

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
BTW, I think there is one guy worth mentioning in the passing game thread because he doesn't get a lot of recognition for what he does. Benny Cunningham is an exceptional blocker and does so much for our passing offense. The guy goes out and does the dirty work...and he does it well. Outstanding role player.

RamsFan14

Starter

While I don't disagree with most of the points you've said, how on earth could you not mention the OL?! Holes were not being opened up early in the season, pass protection has been funky MOST of the season. Not to mention Foles has taken a POUNDING for most of the season (can't say that about today, which is nice). Foles is not the biggest reason IMO, rather its a combination of everyone. He has his flaws sure, but he's running Jeff Fishers offense the way Fisher wants it. Do I trust Foles to carry our team consistently? No, not at all. Can he do it? Yea he CAN, doesn't mean he will. He has much to improve on that's forsure, but the way they are asking him to run the offense, idk how you can identify him as the weak link. He's not turning the ball over, and he's taking some good shots down the field. 3rd down efficiency tho... :eek:(n):cry::(

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I can't disagree with any of this. Foles is frustrating. And he's way too quick to abandon a clean pocket...he doesn't have the mobility for that.

RamsFan14

Starter
Top 16 too much to ask? How about top 25? :unsure:o_O

I'd argue he's playing around the 16 - 20 range. Not impressive, but he's doing what he's supposed to be doing, running Jeff Fisher style football! I think he'll improve with time, then again I'm usually optimistic about this kind of stuff.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
A look at the playoff standings and it's clear we don't have a lot of wiggle room.

But I hear ya.
We'll have a little more wiggle room with a win next week. :D
What concerns me the most is the NFC South(as crazy as that sounds after last season). Carolina & Atlanta look like playoff teams, Saints have won 3 straight now and will push the Falcons & Panthers, and my pre season sleeper team the Bucs aren't terrible.

manmaderam

The one and only
Crazy thought: Why don't we trade Kenny Britt, or quick, or somebody for some draft picks and sign Hakeem Nicks for our number one

DenverRam

Starter
I wonder what those two guys would look like in this scheme. Being asked to run deep sideline routes and not much more. Britt is targeted at least 3 times a game but yet isn't asked to run a slant utilizing his size and strength. Say what you want about either Quick or Britt. You use them the same way Palmer uses Fitzgerald and Floyd and I think you might be shocked at the results.
well i guess the both of them might add up to the talent fitzgerald has at 32. .

CoachO

Hall of Fame
While I don't disagree with most of the points you've said, how on earth could you not mention the OL?! Holes were not being opened up early in the season, pass protection has been funky MOST of the season. Not to mention Foles has taken a POUNDING for most of the season (can't say that about today, which is nice). Foles is not the biggest reason IMO, rather its a combination of everyone. He has his flaws sure, but he's running Jeff Fishers offense the way Fisher wants it. Do I trust Foles to carry our team consistently? No, not at all. Can he do it? Yea he CAN, doesn't mean he will. He has much to improve on that's forsure, but the way they are asking him to run the offense, idk how you can identify him as the weak link. He's not turning the ball over, and he's taking some good shots down the field. 3rd down efficiency tho... :eek:(n):cry::(
The pass blocking isn't the issue until Foles had to look for something other than his first option. That Shen he tends to get panicky and usually bales on the pocket.

Again. If this is such a concern then the best way to minimize the negative impact is get the ball out quick. Slants and swing passes. Not five step deep fades or drag routes that force him to hold the ball.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
well i guess the both of them might add up to the talent fitzgerald has at 32. .
You're avoiding the point completely. We don't know what kind of "talent" they have because they aren't being put in the position to utilize that talent.

Again. Tell me how good Fitzgerald would be of asked to run the same routes as Britt is being asked to run and ONLY those routes.

DenverRam

Starter
Britt has been in the league for years coach. He has never done anything to even remotely show he has the talent of someone like Fitz. All i am saying.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
We just have to play better at the position. I didn't think we'd be able to make the playoffs this year, but the greatness of Gurley, the awesome defense, and the emergence of Tavon, along with the progression of the youngest OL in the league...we can make the playoffs. If our QB doesn't improve, we won't make the playoffs. It's as simple as that.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Britt has been in the league for years coach. He has never done anything to even remotely show he has the talent of someone like Fitz. All i am saying.
I never once said he is as good as..... I said I'd like to see them use him similarly. His biggest strengths are his size and physicality. Same with Quck.

And yet our OC and QB act as if they might as well be 5'8 like Austin.

DenverRam

Starter
i can agree with that, but at the same time. It doesnt matter, because i hope we draft people to replace both of them.