Why do YOU think our passing offense is terrible?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Alan

Legend
I rarely saw Foles under any pressure the whole game. Foles rarely threw it to the middle of the field (the only one I remember was dropped by Bailey) and he seemed to be extra careful to make sure he didn't throw any INTs. While that worked it worked against us too. He didn't seem to be throwing with any confidence.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's everything. Foles, OL, and receivers. Britt drops a deep ball and gets called for OPI. Austin fails to come up with a third down catch on the sideline. Stedman drops a third down catch in the middle of the field. OL struggles with consistency in pass pro. Foles makes multiple inaccurate throws and bad decisions.

All the components are to blame.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
See, after a game like this, it's easy to say it's all the components....because he played decently....but the protection was THERE today... @Alan @jrry32 and @Memphis Ram all make sound observations.... The constant drops, inaccuracies, and of course timing issues all make consistent play virtually impossible....Add in a line that has rarely played like it did today... I still say there's time, but it's alarming the lack of down field accuracy...balls hanging in the air, under-thrown...maybe it's just me...I've seen decent QB play...from average QB's...that can make playoff runs...we're not there just yet... And it seems this would be the game where we could convert better than 1-13 on 3rd downs...Plenty of time....

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
See, after a game like this, it's easy to say it's all the components....because he played decently....but the protection was THERE today... @Alan @jrry32 and @Memphis Ram all make sound observations.... The constant drops, inaccuracies, and of course timing issues all make consistent play virtually impossible....Add in a line that has rarely played like it did today... I still say there's time, but it's alarming the lack of down field accuracy...balls hanging in the air, under-thrown...maybe it's just me...I've seen decent QB play...from average QB's...that can make playoff runs...we're not there just yet... And it seems this would be the game where we could convert better than 1-13 on 3rd downs...Plenty of time....

I agree. Foles isn't getting the job done right now.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I stand by my earlier post in thread. There is no vertical threat or WR's who can make a play downfield. The only 2 offensive weapons on this team get the ball at the LOS. This team needs a WR who demands coverage downfield.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
There is no vertical threat or WR's who can make a play downfield.
Mojo, when they are open, the ball hangs...yeah Britt dropped one....So did Bailey...Tavon fumbled...throw them some more...all day...and he's looking for...say it with me, CHECK DOWNS!!!!! Seems as if the timing is off....everyone except the TE's....I wonder why? Probably relied on TE's too much in camp & preseason....Needs to push the PA pass downfield more...can't tell me guys weren't open today....They stacked the box...he seemed in a rush today...probably told to get rid of the ball....We still have several weeks...but our next opponent has playoff aspirations....We'll learn a lot more next Sunday.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I'm ready to start looking at QB options right now. Would be keenly interested to see what the bench can do at the position.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
At this point, I almost miss the systematic check-downs by Bradford.
Because at least we'd be moving the ball through the air. Even if it were in short increments.

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It's everything. Foles, OL, and receivers. Britt drops a deep ball and gets called for OPI. Austin fails to come up with a third down catch on the sideline. Stedman drops a third down catch in the middle of the field. OL struggles with consistency in pass pro. Foles makes multiple inaccurate throws and bad decisions.

All the components are to blame.

I can't help but agree. But listen, if YOU were the coach, HOW would you change things for the better?
Something has to be done differently. What would you do as the coach of the Rams?

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I can make a Case for Keenum.

Keenum, Keenum, Keenum...

BriansRams

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
I'm ready to start looking at QB options right now. Would be keenly interested to see what the bench can do at the position.
I'm kinda thinking take a close look at Keenum myself. Something has to change. Give Foles the Vikings game to show he's even average. If he doesn't show anything then that's 8 games where he really hasn't played well.

BriansRams

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
I'm staying the course.
That's cool. Everyone has their own opinion. But explain please, what is "the course?" (Is "the course" the worst passing offense of all 32 teams?)

* like many of you, i'm sick and tired of not making the playoffs. that's why i'm seemingly being too hard on our Rams after a win. i can see the future with this current offense and it's not good.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Mojo, when they are open, the ball hangs...yeah Britt dropped one....So did Bailey...Tavon fumbled...throw them some more...all day...and he's looking for...say it with me, CHECK DOWNS!!!!! Seems as if the timing is off....everyone except the TE's....I wonder why? Probably relied on TE's too much in camp & preseason....Needs to push the PA pass downfield more...can't tell me guys weren't open today....They stacked the box...he seemed in a rush today...probably told to get rid of the ball....We still have several weeks...but our next opponent has playoff aspirations....We'll learn a lot more next Sunday.
Cheers bro, lets keep the W's rolling :cheers:

I'll give you that Foles isn't completely right or tight out there. I'm actually not a big fan of Foles. He's too slow in everything he does, but he isn't a bad QB. He's taken shots downfield so he isn't shy.
Drops everywhere. Checkdown QB....we've seen this offensive trend for the last several years with now 4 different QB's and the SAME 4 or 5 receivers drafted. Whats been static here? Off the top of my head i've only seen a few WR's since Bradford was drafted show the ability to make plays, consistently beat man coverage or find the gaps in zone:
1. Mark Clayton
2. Danario Alexander
3. Amendola
4. Brandon Lloyd
Of course these guys had warts, injuries and they weren't elite players, but i would argue that they're all better than anyone we've got right now at just plain getting fricken open and making a fricken play.

I'd stack the box too, the only threats are handing off to Gurley and throwing East/West to Tavon. Our receivers aren't a threat. They can't get open or make a one-on-one play downfield. Cook is the only guy who can manage to beat coverage and he's our TE!!!

Agree Foles needs to settle in and play better but i would be very surprised if defenses around the league were concerned about getting beat downfield by Britt, Quick, Austin or Bailey right now. I'm not hating just to hate either fellas. I consider myself more of a realist than a homer or a negative Nancy. I LOVE what Tavon is doing this year. He's a weapon, but he isn't a threat downfield. No one is. I put it mostly on the receivers we've drafted the last 5 years or so

JMO as always, but i'm right. :LOL:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I can't help but agree. But listen, if YOU were the coach, HOW would you change things for the better?
Something has to be done differently. What would you do as the coach of the Rams?

Quick for Britt, Kendricks for Cook, and try to find easier throws for Foles to make and get into a rhythm. Plus, avoid 3rd and longs/mediums as best I can.

It's a tough call. Hard to fix it when your QB is struggling and the OL can't be counted on.

RamsFan14

Starter
You guys have got to be kidding!! This is a GROUND AND POUND OFFENSE! Play good defense and run the ball, this is what Jeff Fisher wants and he's getting EXACTLY that! Foles is not being asked to do too much and that's the point. Take the short passes if you have to, hand the ball off, and setup play action. He's making most of the throws he's supposed to, I don't get what the complaining is about. If you want a top 5 QB fine complain all the way, but he's not being asked to carry the team, he's facilitating the offense. Britt dropped a beauty deep ball (which stinks), Bailey dropped a ball (wow weird saying that), ok it happens you have to play through SOME adversity. Foles missed a few throws, which honestly it's fine, he didn't turn the ball over. I will say tho, he MUST improve on 3rd down... We cannot have the defense bailing the offense out this much, and Foles must take advantage of the 3rd and short passes because honestly... the offense has been TERRIBLE on 3rd down, and a lot of the responsibility falls on him sadly. But for the most part, he's easily doing what he's supposed to: handing the ball off, protecting the ball, and being effective on play action passes. He can make the big play throws, which is nice because we NEED that to take the top off the defense, or have the defense believe we can take the top off the defense.

Alan

Legend
BriansRams needing motivation:
But explain please, what is "the course?" (Is "the course" the worst passing offense of all 32 teams?
Foles.

I understand how you feel and I feel the same. However, Keenum is not a good QB and neither is Mannion (yet I hope). Foles has been a good QB so there's the chance he'll get back there. Long term, I'll have to wait and see how the season goes. At least in this game Foles had some time to throw. IF he starts trusting his line it might boost his confidence. But even if it doesn't he's still better than the alternatives IMO.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
At this point, I almost miss the systematic check-downs by Bradford.
Because at least we'd be moving the ball through the air. Even if it were in short increments.
Do you think we've just fielded gun shy QB's the last several years?(Foles included)
I'm not buying that anymore.