Why do YOU think our passing offense is terrible?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
New offense, new, young offensive line, new offensive coordinator, new QB. We're not winning enough on first down for whatever reason. I'd like to see us come out off the play action straight away to open the run up early so they can't stack the box on Gurley.

Foles needs to be a bit quicker and a bit more decisive with his progressions. If he sees it just let it fly young man. He seems to go through this conscious mental "checklist" in his head which means he stares at a guy for a split second longer than he needs to. The O-line needs to give him that extra split second.

Added to that - our outside big WR threat is supposed to be Brian Quick. He's been a non-entity really. Britt is what he is. Jared Cook needs to hold onto the ball.

So its a combination of things. We'll get better but with the current personel I don't see it ever being GSOT II anytime soon. We're built to run the ball and play good defense.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
1. Not enough true play action. With Gurley in the backfield it's gonna work, it is gonna freeze LBs and safeties.
2. Not enough execution by the OL. Giving up pressures all over the joint, they need to protect better.
3. Not enough productive hot reads. Haven't looked up the Rams' productivity on blitzes but I know it's abysmal.
4. Not enough caught passes. If you gave this offense back just the drops by Cook alone it would look very different.
5. Foles. He has had his opportunities and needs to see it and capitalize on it more consistently.

1&3 are scheme, directly at the feet of Cigs.
4 is coaching, their refusal to sit Cook.
5 might be partially coaching, if they are browbeating Foles to check it down and punt it. But I do blame him and he needs to be better.
2 is just gonna take some more time. It is what it is, they're young up front.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Is it Nick Foles?

200_s.gif

Is it that our receivers cannot get open very often?
giphy.gif

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
I'd love to hear everyone's opinion.
There is no doubt that our passing offense is simply terrible. The stats prove it. What we see on game days proves it. My question to the football gods is ... why? What is the main problem, and the other little problems?

Is it Nick Foles?
Is it pass protection?
Is it play call?

What's your take on this?

Mostly, it is OL issues.
However, we need to do something about our WR's - they are not getting open consistently and when they do on occasion they drop passes too often.
Lastly, Nick has to play better when he has things fall into place too.

JMHO :)

WestCoastRam

Legend
Good news, bad news. There is not one thing in this offense that cannot be improved on for a better product on the field. Let that sink in.

Shuie3225

Starter
We need a WR that consistently wins on the outside. We have no one that can win 1 on 1 match ups.

Look at what an elite player at RB does... If we had the same outside Foles would have someone to trust..he doesn't have that.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
our #1 and #2 WRS would pass as #3 and #4 on any other NFL team

Austin is the exception, but we need two more receivers. There's no reason why we should stink this much.

Slappy967

Starter
Inconsistent play from our QB and WR. One week Files looks bad and the wide outs bail him out and this week Foles looks sharp and the wide outs have been fairly awful.

FrankenRam

Starter
Is it Nick Foles?
Is it pass protection?
Is it play call?

What's your take on this?

I'd vote for all of the above with the receivers not consistently getting open as being the most significant factor. The only one of the bunch that I'd hate to see not be on the team next year would be Austin. And I agree with others' assessment that he's better defined as a 'weapon' rather than a pure WR. But the rest of them....if they aren't here next year, you'll hear no crying from me. I'd be OK with keeping Bailey just to see if he actually can do anything.

Early in the year, I thought the OL was going to get Foles killed. But to their credit, they do seem to be approving.

I also think Foles developed a slight case of the yips early on w/ the bad OL play. As evidence, I don't think he's seeing the entire field all that well even yet, and occasionally misses open receivers because he occasionally locks on to one guy. <---- See the almost a TD catch by Cook....Foles never looked at anyone else on that play.

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
does Foles have a "go to guy" when he's in trouble or not having a good day? (danny amendola). he had faith in cook vs seattle, but thats gone (btw, where is THAT guy?). wide open the whole game. bailey makes great catches when needed.........see seattle. not sure but it seems the QB needs a guy he can trust. do any of the rams receivers come back to the ball when Foles is in trouble?
despite this, i believe with the emergence of todd gurley, some of these problems will go away as teams pay attention to the todd and tavon show

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
A few drops today. The WRs did not look good at all. The line was pretty decent this time, as was Foles.

I still think the line is a bigger problem than the WRs, but that notwithstanding we definitely need to add a new face to this group next year. Austin is a must keep. I'm unsure who to keep between the others, Hopefully the rest of the season makes it clearer.

DenverRam

Starter
Austin is the exception, but we need two more receivers. There's no reason why we should stink this much.
Rams have not taken a WR in the first round since Torry Holt, before Tavon. And tavon is the one good WR on the team. :)

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If Foles started running more and became a 3rd down threat like Aaron Rodgers would it open up more receivers? Just a thought on how to get something going to get a little separation for our receivers.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
All the more reason I think we should take a hard look at someone like Josh Gordon on a prove it contract. He'd should cost about as much as Britt and we'd get season's worth of production in a few games if he's worth it. If not, like with Titus Young, we had him in and didn't sign him.

Gordon has had a lot of time to figure out his situation and if he's ready to move on and be about being a pro, then he's the kind of game changer that could completely change the Rams O.

I mean, I'd rather we moved on from Britt and took a chance with Gordon if he passed the smell test with the Snisher and then focused on further OL improvements and Defensive depth (can't ignore maintaining that...just look at Seattle and SF for how quickly the cupboard can get bare...)

Memphis Ram

Legend
50% Pass protection
25% Receiver seperation
15% Foles
10% Cigs playcalls

Gee. I see things quite a bit differently.

50% Foles
25% Pass Protection
15% Receiver Separation
10% Cignetti's Playcalls

I don't think Foles is seeing the field very well as he misses underneath targets and backs releasing who are open quite a bit to me. Plus, he's been short on a fair share of deeper routes.

Hopefully, he improves as this team will only go as far as that improvement, IMO.

RedRam

Pro Bowler
Foles' accuracy and choice of throws is inconsistent. When the throw is on target, the ball evades capture too often. Wide receivers that cannot receive are essentially defensive backs.