Who's Your RT?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Who Tha RT Be?

• Rob Havenstein

Votes: 101 84.2%
  • Andrew Donnal

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Joe Barksdale (Currently Unsigned)

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • Rodger Saffold

• Brandon Washington

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Garrett Reynolds

• Jamon Brown

• Other On Roster (Tell us in the thread)

• Other Not On Roster (Tell us in the thread)

• DCH after a Pizza and Beer Binge and an Extra 100 LBS

Votes: 4 3.3%

• Total voters

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I think when you see & look at the arm length of Travis Bond {TB} 35 3/8's which would give him the longest arms of all the OL'ers including GR. He just looks like a RIGHT OT!

Here's how Bond did @ the combine in comparison to our new four OL'ers.

TB ranked at the bottom in these categories...
Vert Jump 221/2 & 20 yd shuttle 4.96. TB is faster in the 40 yd dash than both Havenstein & Donnal. TB.s bench is better than all four of our rookies. TB's 3 cone time & his Broad jump beat one of our rookies Havenstein & Havenstein is really slow TB did manage to run better than Donnal & Havenstein in the 20 yd & 10 yd times.

In a quick comparison to BW to TB....Washington did much better than TB in the Bench, 20 yd shuttle, broad jump, vertical jump, 49 yd, 20 yd & 10 yd dash.

Here's a head shaker measure....our resident past dough-boy Barrett Jones has the largest hands of all our OL'ers even the very big Travis Bond.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I am going to defend Memphis here. While Bond got the majority of his work at RG last year in camp and preseason, he did also take reps at Right TACKLE. Not saying he will get much more of a look there now with the rookies all being added, but prior to that, he was a consideration.

Brandon Washington is another story. While he may show some versatility, he doesn't excel at any. Yes, he fits into the same category as guys like Barnes, in that they have kept him around, hoping he develops. But of all the guys who have been here, IMO, he shows the least amount of physicality and I rarely see him dominate the guy across from him.
Yeah but he is solid and does not make mistakes.At 6'2 Washington already has had the odds stuck against him. ---You saw Bond live,through your eyes.You really Think he can handle RT.I thought the post was about starter at RT.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I think his issue in the preseason games were "thinking too much" and not being comfortable in his assignments. That caused him to appear to be playing slow, and also was the root of his missed assignments.

He doesn't seem to have the same issues on the practice field. He is one of the most physical guys out there. I have said it before, if he figures out the mental part of his job, he could be the big surprise. If he doesn't, he won't be around long.
So which one is it Coach O ???
Are you saying he is going to play much RT ??
Where does Reynolds play ??
Then add 3 of the 4 new draft picks.I think J.Brown is going to stay on the left side.

Go look at the player position.Like I said earlier.I don't have anything against Bond as a OG.He is like the only Ram player besides B.Washington(Wickmann)listed as a pure OG.Rams said J.Brown was going to play OG,but listed as a OT.

What about S. Baker as well ???
I call total BS on T.Bond being a RT at all except maybe,maybe in mop up time.Which of course would totally be not be the case if he has a chance to start at OG !!!
Does he have a chance to start at OG.Like the poster said earlier,he could not even beat out Joesph,which in my mind has no barring on this season.

Last edited:

CoachO

Hall of Fame
So which one is it Coach O ???
Are you saying he is going to play much RT ??
Where does Reynolds play ??
Then add 3 of the 4 new draft picks.I think J.Brown is going to stay on the left side.

Go look at the player position.Like I said earlier.I don't have anything against Bond as a OG.He is like the only Ram player besides B.Washington(Wickmann)listed as a pure OG.Rams said J.Brown was going to play OG,but listed as a OT.

What about S. Baker as well ???
I call total BS on T.Bond being a RT at all except maybe,maybe in mop up time.Which of course would totally be not be the case if he has a chance to start at OG !!!
Does he have a chance to start at OG.Like the poster said earlier,he could not even beat out Joesph,which in my mind has no barring on this season.
Not sure why you are getting so worked up. I never said I thought Bond would play tackle. I mentioned that he took some reps there LAST YEAR in the OTA I attended and in training camp.

Personally I think he has the most upside at RG of anyone. Of course that is prior to me actually seeing any of the rookies first hand. And I also pointed out that it's only if he figures it out from a mental aspect. Regardless I don't understand why you feel the need to get so irritated.

Last edited:

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Yeah but he is solid and does not make mistakes.At 6'2 Washington already has had the odds stuck against him. ---You saw Bond live,through your eyes.You really Think he can handle RT.I thought the post was about starter at RT.
We will agree to disagree on Washington and your assertion that he is "solid". I haven't seen it yet. And this will br his 3rd training camp with this team.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I think when you see & look at the arm length of Travis Bond {TB} 35 3/8's which would give him the longest arms of all the OL'ers including GR. He just looks like a RIGHT OT!

Here's how Bond did @ the combine in comparison to our new four OL'ers.

TB ranked at the bottom in these categories...
Vert Jump 221/2 & 20 yd shuttle 4.96. TB is faster in the 40 yd dash than both Havenstein & Donnal. TB.s bench is better than all four of our rookies. TB's 3 cone time & his Broad jump beat one of our rookies Havenstein & Havenstein is really slow TB did manage to run better than Donnal & Havenstein in the 20 yd & 10 yd times.

In a quick comparison to BW to TB....Washington did much better than TB in the Bench, 20 yd shuttle, broad jump, vertical jump, 49 yd, 20 yd & 10 yd dash.

Here's a head shaker measure....our resident past dough-boy Barrett Jones has the largest hands of all our OL'ers even the very big Travis Bond.
I think (and hope) Barrett Jones is going to surprise a lot of people this year and is going to excel at centre for the rams.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
We will agree to disagree on Washington and your assertion that he is "solid". I haven't seen it yet. And this will br his 3rd training camp with this team.
In my opinion of what I've seen Washington is.... A backup. And I've not seen as much as @CoachO and I would rather not see him take the field tbh, and if he was destined to be our starting RT / OG he would have been by now. I think if one of our many o-line rookies look to have more upside, Washington may be cut.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Washington is probably going to get cut,like you said the does not over power anyone.Then again he does not make mental mistakes & finds away to get the job done.

The day Bond plays RT is a huge step back for The Rams !! You can take Memphis's side & go to all(appreciate in site) practices you want.The post is about RIGHT TACKLE . You can put it in any context as you want.

You also said Saffold would play LT before GRob. Just saying it is predictions...Truth is ,I think I at least have a little feel for The Rams squad.Will see about Bond at RT...My post have been, he is a RG as of now.His mind & talent ???
---Then JJ is going to the Pro Bowl....which I think he or TJ McDonald will this season.....

paceram

Pro Bowler
Seems like everyone is penciling Havenstein in at RT, but camp has yet to begin, and we've got lots of candidates (for once). So... who do you think will end up taking the RT position in the regular season?

To be honest, I will be pretty disappointed if Havenstein is not the starting ORT next season! Nothing against any of the other offensive linemen but I just think Havenstein is going to have a great NFL career!

WestCoastRam

Legend
It would seem to be that the Rams would like to do nothing more than keep Saffold at guard if possible so I imagine Havenstein will be giving every chance to win the RT position. I could imagine camp starting with Saffold at RT but only for a day or two (though I think that's a relic of making guys "earn" it) and then Havenstein takes over on day three and beyond.

Think there are more question-marks on whether Brown can grab one of the starting guard spots. I could easily see a line where Reynolds and Saffold start at guard at the beginning of the year.

Not a training camp observer but in preseason last year our backup oline was pretty pathetic. I seemed to notice Washington, Bond, Person a lot and you know the old adage of noticing lineman...

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Washington is probably going to get cut,like you said the does not over power anyone.Then again he does not make mental mistakes & finds away to get the job done.

The day Bond plays RT is a huge step back for The Rams !! You can take Memphis's side & go to all(appreciate in site) practices you want.The post is about RIGHT TACKLE . You can put it in any context as you want.

You also said Saffold would play LT before GRob. Just saying it is predictions...Truth is ,I think I at least have a little feel for The Rams squad.Will see about Bond at RT...My post have been, he is a RG as of now.His mind & talent ???
---Then JJ is going to the Pro Bowl....which I think he or TJ McDonald will this season.....
I guess you only read what you want to read. What are you talking about saffold? I haven't brought him once.

And my only point about Bond was that he in fact did take reps at right TACKLE last year. If you read my entire post. I also said he took and will take the majority of his reps at RG.

Lighten up Francis. Not sure why you seem to think you're the only one in here entitled to an opinion.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We'll know a lot more once rookie camp is over and Fisher has had a chance to absorb their performances.

If he thinks Havenstein is far from ready, then I'd expect movement on the Barksdale front.

No Barksdale signed fairly rapidly, I think we know that he expects Havenstein to be ready or nearly ready at the start of the season.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I guess you only read what you want to read. What are you talking about saffold? I haven't brought him once.

And my only point about Bond was that he in fact did take reps at right TACKLE last year. If you read my entire post. I also said he took and will take the majority of his reps at RG.

Lighten up Francis. Not sure why you seem to think you're the only one in here entitled to an opinion.
--- So who is your starting lineup from day 1 on the OL ???

Long was coming off injury last year.You had Saffold playing LT.
That was a strong point of yours.
--There were a lot of posters who liked Ray Ray as a starter.You for one think Jo Dunbar gets cut,over Reynolds.
I respect your opinion ,maybe I am off base.What we do know right now is there are a lot of players on the roster.
--QB Keenan for a 7th,Mannion a 3rd rd draft choice,AD NFL experience last year.
----Stacey gone & a 1st rd RB at 10 ? Did not see that...
It will be interesting & always look forward to your post.My bad that I took it a little far. **Peace

CoachO

Hall of Fame

Long was coming off injury last year.You had Saffold playing LT.
That was a strong point of yours.
--There were a lot of posters who liked Ray Ray as a starter.You for one think Jo Dunbar gets cut,over Reynolds.
I respect your opinion ,maybe I am off base.What we do know right now is there are a lot of players on the roster.
--QB Keenan for a 7th,Mannion a 3rd rd draft choice,AD NFL experience last year.
----Stacey gone & a 1st rd RB at 10 ? Did not see that...
It will be interesting & always look forward to your post.My bad that I took it a little far. **Peace
You have a tendency to be all over the place when you post stuff like this.

As far as Long/Saffold, my comments were based on how they would come out of training camp, in the event that Long wasn't ready. Since that wasn't the case, you are putting words in my mouth. What I believed, and it never materialized, was that Robinson would NOT have started the season at LT if Long wasn't ready. So that is kind of a mute point to even discuss at this point.

As far as Armstrong, I have been very consistent with my thoughts on him. I never cared for his undisciplined style of play, and it proved to be correct.

You seem to read into things I say, when in fact I never actually said that I think Dunbar will be cut in favor of Chase Reynolds. Their individual contributions are independent of one another. What I said, is Dunbar could be at risk of making the roster, if they find someone who can fill his role as a dpeth Linebacker. He does have some value, in that he will go into training camp as the primary backup at both the SLB, and MLB positions. But, if he does in fact lose his starting job to Ayers, which is the logical thought process at this point, Dunbar does become less valuable.

Not going to even comment further on my opinion of the QB situation. My thoughts on Austin Davis are very well documented on here. That they TRADED to bring Keenum back says to me they like what he offers. At least until Mannion gets his feet under him.

Tailback

Starter
Name
Taco Jones
You're right dude. I forgot about Reynolds. He very could well be the starter week 1. We'll see who stays healthy through camp and pre-season. The good thing is...there's lots of options unlike previous years; FINALLY!

Poor Garrett Reynolds, that's some crazy amount of disrespect. As of this post, there's 17 votes for Havenstein, 0 for Reynolds... and Reynolds was brought in specifically to play RT (at the time). He's being shut out in this vote of reasonably knowledgeable Rams fans by a rookie without 1 min of NFL play... even though most of us frankly don't know Reynolds from Adam's off ox. The one and only thing we DO know, collectively and as individuals, is that we don't want Reynolds to start at RT.

CoachO

Hall of Fame

Without seeing any of new draft picks, if I were to venture a GUESS as to how they start training camp, it would be something along these lines:

LT - Robinson LG- Saffold C - Barnes RG - Reynolds RT - Havenstein

I base this off of Fisher and Boudreau's preference and track record of giving the veterans most of the first reps early on in camp.

…..

Legend
Poor Garrett Reynolds, that's some crazy amount of disrespect. As of this post, there's 17 votes for Havenstein, 0 for Reynolds... and Reynolds was brought in specifically to play RT (at the time). He's being shut out in this vote of reasonably knowledgeable Rams fans by a rookie without 1 min of NFL play... even though most of us frankly don't know Reynolds from Adam's off ox. The one and only thing we DO know, collectively and as individuals, is that we don't want Reynolds to start at RT.

Not only should we not let him start, but the fact that we even signed him as depth reeked of desperation to me. I cant believe we wasted a million bucks on him. He just wont cut it in the NFC West.

I didnt realize until today that he is the nephew of Hacksaw

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
To be honest, I will be pretty disappointed if Havenstein is not the starting ORT next season! Nothing against any of the other offensive linemen but I just think Havenstein is going to have a great NFL career!
I really hope your right.