Who would you want as OC?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Looks like Trestman's out in Chicago... though I don't know that one good season up there means he's worth tossing Schotty for him.

I hope that they wouldn't replace one pass happy coordinator for another. BTW, I was listening to Kurt Warner on the Monday night radio broadcast and he mentioned some issues with the Bears route combinations not help Cutler.

Memphis Ram

Legend
So, what gave it away, the inability to turn Austin Davis or Shaun Hill into Dan Marino? Or the inability to develop a stout run blocking O-Line?

Perhaps the first step would be to realize that he doesn't have Dan Marino or a stout run blocking OLine and not abandon the run even when it's working making the Oline look worse than they are on gameday.

Good run. Pass. Pass. Punt.
Good run. Pass. Pass. Pass. Punt.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
. Unfortunately though, I don't think we could pry him away from Minnesota unless we offered him the "assistant head coach" title and smacked him with quite a bit of money.
NFL closed that loophole. There is no "assistant HC" designation as it pertains to contract negotiations. There are only 2 designation, HC and Assistant. Cant make lateral move
Love Norv but cant get him unless they make him HC

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Heard the same thing last year about Walton, that there was no way he'd be fired after only one season.

I've said it before and I will again... Fish is not the guy a lot of folks believe he is. He has gone on record saying this team needs to score more points. He greenlighted the pass-happy attempt to do just that opening last season before reigning it in when it was clear it wouldn't work. He has allowed Schotty 3 seasons to get this offense rolling and this year the running game is just as inconsistent as the passing game. Fish insists on balance, because he knows the running game is required to keep a defense honest. He's right.

So I wouldn't be too quick to make the assumption that you're making. I believe Schotty should be fired, but I'm not gonna act like I know he will be, since I obviously don't know that. Fish may surprise you here.
Walton wasn't Fisher's first choice as a coordinator. Schotty was.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Walton wasn't Fisher's first choice as a coordinator. Schotty was.

True. But Fish had his eye on Walton before that hire due to him being one of his understudy's rising stars. I do recall him trying to interview him as a matter of fact, but was told no by the Lions or somesuch nonsense.

Either way that does not put me in position to say that Schotty is gonna be back, deal with it. Go back and look at Fish's history, the dude has no problem firing coaches. People think that because he supports his coaches publicly and keeps the media circus off of them that he lacks the sack to fire them but that is not true.

And Walton, IMO, demonstrates that. Remember he did even mention before the offseason that he had no plans to make a change. Fish is a deep thinker who takes his time and uses all information before he makes that call.

RamWoodie

Legend
Looks like Trestman's out in Chicago... though I don't know that one good season up there means he's worth tossing Schotty for him.
I wouldn't be to sure about Trestman being out. Chicago made a big mistake parting ways with Lovie Smith. I would hope they wouldn't do it again letting Trestman go...THEN...there's Cutler...

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
True. But Fish had his eye on Walton before that hire due to him being one of his understudy's rising stars. I do recall him trying to interview him as a matter of fact, but was told no by the Lions or somesuch nonsense.

Either way that does not put me in position to say that Schotty is gonna be back, deal with it. Go back and look at Fish's history, the dude has no problem firing coaches. People think that because he supports his coaches publicly and keeps the media circus off of them that he lacks the sack to fire them but that is not true.

And Walton, IMO, demonstrates that. Remember he did even mention before the offseason that he had no plans to make a change. Fish is a deep thinker who takes his time and uses all information before he makes that call.
Sure, it could happen, and we know by now not to believe Fisher if he says the sky is blue. But I haven't seen anything that indicates that Fisher shares certain Internet fans' assessment of Schotty. And that's going to be what decides it.

psxpaul

Rookie
Name
Paul
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Perhaps the first step would be to realize that he doesn't have Dan Marino or a stout run blocking OLine and not abandon the run even when it's working making the Oline look worse than they are on gameday.

Yeah, I honestly think Schotty is an average OC, who is just terrible at talent evaluation. The best example of this is probably the first few weeks of the 2012 season:
-using 4 or 5 WR sets, even though the receivers sucked
-starting Daryl Richardson over Stacy, Cunningham, and Pead
-asking Cook to block at all
-running Tavon Austin on curl routes

He eventually went back to more of a smashmouth run game approach, but it should not take the OC 4 weeks to recognize the strengths of his own players. If they bring in a new QB, are we going to have to watch Schotty try to figure out that QB's strengths and weaknesses for half the season?

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
NFL closed that loophole. There is no "assistant HC" designation as it pertains to contract negotiations. There are only 2 designation, HC and Assistant. Cant make lateral move
Love Norv but cant get him unless they make him HC

I wasn't aware. Damn you NFL.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I wouldn't be to sure about Trestman being out. Chicago made a big mistake parting ways with Lovie Smith. I would hope they wouldn't do it again letting Trestman go...THEN...there's Cutler...

I would add that Trestman is unlikely period. He represents a change of of system to the 9er flavor of WCO, so if they're gonna do that I would think his good buddy Shanahan is FAR more likely and a better fit hire as well with the practically guaranteed running game he'd bring. Well, at least I don't think Shanny has a job yet will need to look that up.