Who would you want as OC?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
As much as I agree with Memphis I doubt Fisher goes in that direction and I don't think Schottenheimer will be gone, but if that happens Rod Chudzinski would be my choice.

Another vote for Chud here.

Coryell disciple, very smart. Described by Ricky Proehl (who was WR coach when Chud was the OC at Carolina) as "Mike Martz without the drama." Unlike Martz though, he has no aversion to using TE's, nor does he have an aversion to ground and pound if that's what it takes to win a game. Demonstrated his ability to be a good teacher in Cam Newton's rookie year, as Cam threw for over 4000 yards. I'd have no worries with a student like Sam. The offense can be installed fairly quickly as it is purported to be much easier to learn, and I believe that Schotty's O uses some concepts from the Coryell system.

I don't think Schotty gets fired, but if he lands a HC gig somewhere and we have to replace him, this is the direction I go.

RamWoodie

Legend
I like Sherman too, but most of his success came as a head coach in GB with Tom Rossley as the OC.
jfN1sqH.png
Wouldn't that be like when Martz was HC of the Rams with Booby Jackson as OC though? The point being the OC was their under study.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Wouldn't that be like when Martz was HC of the Rams with Booby Jackson as OC though? The point being the OC was their under study.
Don't you DARE speak ill of Bobby Jackson!

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Give me Mike Sherman:
mike1217.jpg

The guy is a WC offense genius and very good with QBs. Miami let him go. I'm not sure how close Jeff Fisher has been with him, but he would be great for the offensive players the Rams have!

He was let go in Miami because they had one of the worst offenses the two years he was there. Thought previously he would be a good OC, but I think I would pass on him although what I do like about him was he was a former offensive line coach.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
When did he say that? I missed that part. I have been saying that back to when SJ was on the team. When it is 3rd and 2, with a back like Jackson the Rams should be able to convert! I wonder how he figures to accomplish that with the current assemblage of Offensive linemen that he has on the team. Has he been thinking all along that Scott Wells and Davin Joseph are going to make that happen?

Is this a ray of hope? Is he actually going to build a real power running offensive line to make his mythical power run scheme work? Please let it be!

I think the cap was what dictated Joseph and keeping Wells until his prorated signing bonus was depleted.
As far as when Fisher said that it was sometime after the Thurs. night game when we got inside the 10 twice and came away with 6 total .

IMO that we tried to trade up into the first to take a guard last year (Martin) it stands to reason we are probably going to go guard first or second round this year trade up if the value is there or down if it isn't .BUT HERE NOW ,IMO you can solve the problem by putting a guy in the backfield who can be his own blocker and we have an athlete who fits the bill, Aaron Donald ,there is precedence for doing it in Fishers coaching background, other teamm use guys like JJ Watt as a tight end , Vrable as a rec. it's not so far out of the box to give it a try ,and with the depth we have on the d-line if it limits AD's reps by two or three and it pays off it will give him another series/pat and kickoff to recoup from a run and if we JUST get him on film bowling a guy like C Campbell over his value as a decoy would be immeasurable.

wrstdude

Rookie
Do you think those figures were achieved on purpose? I think those two teams (and the 2003? Ravens) were/are successful despite their pitiful offenses. Those top 5 defenses don't hurt your success rates do they? ;)

Absolutely they were achieved on purpose. Two strong running games already existed before two limited QBs took over the reigns of their respective offenses. Gore and Lynch is where both teams made their money offensively. Also, I'm not sure where you're coming up w/ their offenses being pitiful as both were top 10 (SEA 8 SF 10).

Of course a top 5 defense will help. Not sure I said otherwise or that even they were successful ONLY because of their offense. Not many teams that have sustained playoff success are deficient in an area.

My point, which has evaded you, is that a strong running game w/ limited passing can, in fact, still score points in the NFL which is part of the recipe of winning.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Absolutely they were achieved on purpose. Two strong running games already existed before two limited QBs took over the reigns of their respective offenses. Gore and Lynch is where both teams made their money offensively. Also, I'm not sure where you're coming up w/ their offenses being pitiful as both were top 10 (SEA 8 SF 10).

Of course a top 5 defense will help. Not sure I said otherwise or that even they were successful ONLY because of their offense. Not many teams that have sustained playoff success are deficient in an area.

My point, which has evaded you, is that a strong running game w/ limited passing can, in fact, still score points in the NFL which is part of the recipe of winning.

Yep. It was Fisher's formula with the Titans and supposedly the game plan when joined the Rams.
Winning with defense and a run first offense using play-action passing. That's Auburn's offense to a "T."

wrstdude

Rookie
Yep. It was Fisher's formula with the Titans and supposedly the game plan when joined the Rams.
Winning with defense and a run first offense using play-action passing. That's Auburn's offense to a "T."

And assuming a rookie QB comes in next year it should be the game plan for the Rams too. From what I've read and the parts I've implemented at the high school level, it's fairly simple.

Alan

Legend
wrstdude thinking toe-may-toe and I'm thinking toe-mah-toe:

I'm not sure you understood my point or I just didn't make myself clear enough. Then in your next sentence you made my point or at least part of my point. I'm pretty sure they'd rather average 400 yards passing and 400 yards rushing. :LOL: But lacking the right personnel to accomplish that formidable task ("two limited QBs") they designed an offense that would best utilize what assets they did have on offense. I think we both probably agree with what I just said.

Now, did either of those two teams want/prefer to have limited QBs who were/are incapable of regularly producing 400 yards in passing offense per game? I think not. Did either of those two teams want an offense that would struggle mightily to overcome big deficits with only a top notch running game? Again, I think not.

When you say this "you'd have a tough time convincing most people that they haven't been successful." you need to make it clear that you're just talking about their offense because I took what you said to mean that you were talking about the teams being successful in general terms. Knowing now how I took your words, you can understand why I talked about their defenses. More on the effect of the defense on the offense later.

If you were limiting it to just their offenses being successful then I'd have to totally disagree with you and in the strongest possible terms. A team which only has a strong running game and a mediocre to crappy passing game (173 YPG passing), has to rely on frequently having good field position to be successful and even then it's a limited success IMO. How is that accomplished? Again I'll bring in the "A Great Defense is the Key to Success When You Only Have a Great running Game in the NFL" part of my argument. :) It only takes one or two runs being stuffed to stop a running game and when you start off in bad field position that's more likely to happen.

In addition, continually starting in good field position makes every offense look much better because their whole playbook is available and the offense can take more chances. I don't care where the Shehags or Whiners offense is in the statistical standings, neither of them have a top offense. You only have to look at teams like the Shegals, Patsies, Packers et cetera to see what a top offense looks like. IMO. Plus, I wasn't talking about the Hags or the Whiners when I referred to pitiful offenses because they are blessed with great Ds that make their offense look better. I was talking in general terms. Sorry for not making that clear.

Last but not least, your point didn't evade me at all. Even the way you worded it makes my point. You could have said "a strong running game w/ limited passing will, in fact, still score points in the NFL" but you said "a strong running game w/ limited passing can, in fact, still score points in the NFL." That slight change shows me that you realize how hard it is for a team to succeed with only a good running game. But yes, it CAN be successful. Is is sometimes necessary to have one? Yes. Do I purposely want to try to have a team that has to live or die with this motto "a strong running game w/ limited passing can, in fact, still score points" by hiring an OC who specializes in that? My answer is no way Jose.

That's all just my opinion of course but it's based on, wait for it...math. ;) Your odds of having success are much greater with a balanced attack. Even Martz thinks that. Now. :LOL: With the changes in the rules the pendulum has swung to the passing game being of paramount importance IMO.

Last edited:

RamWoodie

Legend
He was let go in Miami because they had one of the worst offenses the two years he was there. Thought previously he would be a good OC, but I think I would pass on him although what I do like about him was he was a former offensive line coach.
Look at the situation though. What did Miami have offensively? No matter how good of an OC you are, you gotta have talent.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Look at the situation though. What did Miami have offensively? No matter how good of an OC you are, you gotta have talent.

Agreed, but they are doing a better job this year and you could make that case for any unsuccessful offensive coordinator. That was Sherman's first opportunity as an NFL OC and it ended with his very good friend Joe Philbin letting him go so I would look to other candidates that have a far better track record. Rams already have an OC with checkered success and that is more than Sherman has experienced.

RamWoodie

Legend
Agreed, but they are doing a better job this year and you could make that case for any unsuccessful offensive coordinator. That was Sherman's first opportunity as an NFL OC and it ended with his very good friend Joe Philbin letting him go so I would look to other candidates that have a far better track record. Rams already have an OC with checkered success and that is more than Sherman has experienced.
This is possible...but did Philbin let him go to keep his job? We know how that works sometimes. On another note Sherman's first job as an OC was with Seattle in 99...they went 9-7.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I think the cap was what dictated Joseph and keeping Wells until his prorated signing bonus was depleted.
As far as when Fisher said that it was sometime after the Thurs. night game when we got inside the 10 twice and came away with 6 total .

IMO that we tried to trade up into the first to take a guard last year (Martin) it stands to reason we are probably going to go guard first or second round this year trade up if the value is there or down if it isn't .BUT HERE NOW ,IMO you can solve the problem by putting a guy in the backfield who can be his own blocker and we have an athlete who fits the bill, Aaron Donald ,there is precedence for doing it in Fishers coaching background, other teamm use guys like JJ Watt as a tight end , Vrable as a rec. it's not so far out of the box to give it a try ,and with the depth we have on the d-line if it limits AD's reps by two or three and it pays off it will give him another series/pat and kickoff to recoup from a run and if we JUST get him on film bowling a guy like C Campbell over his value as a decoy would be immeasurable.

I said it before. Start getting Sacy running along with Mason and when their is one yard to go get Zac the ball. He can get the tough yards. this is one are where I really question Schotts judgement. If he is going to run a back up the middle then it should be a pounder like Stacy.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Huh, I'd never heard that about the QB selecting rather it would be a run or a pass. I'm guessing the pass heaviness then was the QB tending to want to select pass more than run.

After all, winners always want the ball when the game is on the line...

hackman-keanu_i.jpg

I learned this in the heat of the heavy heavy Martz criticism. Every talking head on TV and Radio were busting on Martz and this tendency to throw too much. Then one day something unexpected happened. Merrel Hoge tried to explain to the other ESPN dopes what he had learned from a meeting with Martz and Hoge said that what Martz was doing was actually genius and very innovative. He went onto explain that every offensive alignment could be a run or a pass and in many cases more than one of each. The QB made the call when he went up to the line. I am guessing teams do this regularly now, if not then they should.

Lesson

Oh, really?
Brian Schottenheimer.

Unless you could think of another disciple of the Fisher tree or someone who has previously coached with Schottenheimer in NY.

From what I've seen of Fisher, his goal is to build an offense that relies heavily on the run game and to have a QB that can win games in crunch time. Think of offenses like KC's, Seattle's, SF's. Those are the offenses, IMO, that are most similar to what Fisher is trying to do.

Dr C. Hill

Rookie
Name
Doc
Chud would be my first choice, but Lashlee is intriguing as well.

With type of neanderthal football that Fisher likes to play though, your choices are going to be limited.

In a dream world I would say grab Martz, but that would/could never happen.