Who would you want as OC?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
This is possible...but did Philbin let him go to keep his job? We know how that works sometimes. On another note Sherman's first job as an OC was with Seattle in 99...they went 9-7.

Sherman was Offensive Coordinator in name only similar to Steve Fairchild with the Rams during Mike Martz tenure in St. Louis Mike Holmgren called all the plays so his first real opportunity to call plays as an offensive coordinator was with the Phins.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
If you can come out of this draft with Amari Cooper, and a starting quality LG and C, then Mad Mike would be the best thing that could happen to the Rams (again).

If not, then Norv Turner would make Britt, Cook, Austin, Bailey, and Quick both into what they can be. Bradford would finally take that next step. Just look at what hes doing with that "small school/going to need time to adjust to the NFL" QB in Bridgewater. He's also from the Marty tree so the verbage wouldnt be too hard to adjust to.

And say what you will about Norv as a HC, but his talent as a offensive play caller is undeniable. I think he would have been a great head coach too if not for AJ Smith running the draft. Unfortunately though, I don't think we could pry him away from Minnesota unless we offered him the "assistant head coach" title and smacked him with quite a bit of money.

RamWoodie

Legend
Sherman was Offensive Coordinator in name only similar to Steve Fairchild with the Rams during Mike Martz tenure in St. Louis Mike Holmgren called all the plays so his first real opportunity to call plays as an offensive coordinator was with the Phins.
I can't agree with that. Sherman becomes HC of Green Bay and coaches them for 6 years??? NOT in name only! They had 5 consecutive winning seasons under Sherman.

If you're going to tell me he was an under study of Holmgren I'll buy that because it means Holmgren groomed the guy...but you're not the OC in name only, and compiles the record he had as HC of Green Bay! The guy went 53-27.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
I don't want to see a new offense/coordinator which will set us back another year. Lord knows I've questioned some things Shotty has done this year, but we need to continue with his offense and keep consistency. We all know there are things that need fixing, but adding a different coordinator and changing the offense will only set the offense back. Bradford's going to have a hard enough time getting back to form, and the last thing he needs to worry about is learning a new playbook. Strengthen the O-Line, bring in another QB to compete with Sam, and find ways to use our skill guys to their full potential. Shotty needs to work hard in the off-season to be creative, so our skill guys will always be a mismatch to the opposition.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
So, what gave it away, the inability to turn Austin Davis or Shaun Hill into Dan Marino? Or the inability to develop a stout run blocking O-Line?

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
Fuck Josh McDaniels.

I'm sorry but this thread made me think of him. This guy contributed to a horrible season, couldn't handle the adversity, and after we were done, had the nerve to ask to be released from the team before the NFL season was over so he could run back to Belicheat in time to get an undeserved ring. He deserved to mourn like the rest of us. That was perhaps the most cowardly thing I ever seen in football.

Sorry for the rant.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I can't agree with that. Sherman becomes HC of Green Bay and coaches them for 6 years??? NOT in name only! They had 5 consecutive winning seasons under Sherman.

If you're going to tell me he was an under study of Holmgren I'll buy that because it means Holmgren groomed the guy...but you're not the OC in name only, and compiles the record he had as HC of Green Bay! The guy went 53-27.

Not commenting on what he did in Green Bay, but he did not call the plays in Green Bay, Sherman Lewis was the offensive coordinator although Sherman was very involved. However, he did not call the plays in Seattle that is factual, he focused on the offensive line, however, he did a good job in Green Bay until his last season 4-12.

He also was Head Coach of Texas A&M and was fired was fired in Green Bay (albeit one losing season) and fired as offensive coordinator of the Miami Dolphins, IMO, there are far better options than Mike Sherman and he would be a hard sell as an offensive coordinator. You might be able to sell him as assistant head coach/offensive line, but not as Offensive Coordinator there are much better options IMO.

Bluesy

Reppin' the Rams since 2000
Name
Kyle
This is pretty OT but I thought it was interesting. I would like to see what would happen if Schotty was the OC for say the packers. An OC with a rep for being a boring bland offense and a QB with a rep for making crazy plays and being one of the best of all time. It'll never happen but it's interesting to think about.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
1. Mad Mike. No worries of him being hired away, I think he'd settle with the Rams by coming home, be the head coach of the offense, and stick around even after fixing the offense thus giving us consistency and high talent level moving forward at both coordinator positions which is huge. He'd bring out the latent WR talent to consistent production. The Rams offense would score points. He'd help this franchise pick the best QB value in this draft. No change in the offensive system. It would be scary to see what he could do with Bradford's talent level, assuming he stays healthy and returns on a redone contract. And lastly his weakness would be held in check by Fish's dogged insistence on run balance; they would be a great pair. By far the best option because Martz does field a good running game when he wants to the way he spreads the field.

2. Chud. Great fit for Fisher. Might be the best option there is, however I put him below Mad Mike because he'd only be here for one year as he'd boost our offense immediately and get hired away as a head coach (I want consistency at OC with a quality guy not a garbage JAG type like Schotty). No change in system. Excellent all around production as an OC the dude should have a job no doubt about it. Problem is he won't be around long this offseason and Fish likes to ruminate on his firing/hiring decisions so to get him he will need to axe Schotty quick.

3. Scott Frost. I consider him a package deal, where you cut Bradford, fill in the OL pieces in FA, trade up for Mariota, and watch Frost light up the NFL with the Rams' receiving weapons. Another guy that you gotta get quick because he'll get some HC offers in college programs. Problem with adding him is the price for us to get Mariota may be a little higher as they'd know what we're up to immediately. Note that we could still add him without Mariota but since the two make so much sense together the Rams would free up money in FA, get younger and healthier at QB, etc I consider it a joint thing.

4. Rhett Lashlee. IMO the dude is gonna be a head coach somewhere as soon as the bowls are done so he'd have to be pursued early and hard. But I do think he's a strong option due to Snead's connection with Auburn and the creative use of the running game. He is a very smart and talented young OC, so yeah I think he's a nice fit for Fish. Best thing about him is you could draft Hundley or one of the other lesser passer type QBs in this draft and not sweat it since this guy would best-utilize the talent and we'd probably score more points than we would with Schotty.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Honestly, I don't think Schotty's God's gift to offensive coordinators but I'd like to see what the guy can do with a QB for a full season along with some healthy talent. I've actually been quite impressed with him the last two seasons given that he's had his starting QB go down in both. Last season, he scrapped his "install" offense for ground and pound and this season had to rotate between two more QBs with numerous injuries on offense.

In 2012, I thought he did a decent job with nothing at WR and nothing going with the Oline.

I'm totally fine with keeping him. If he leaves, I won't cry.

He could stand to improve somewhat as a play-caller but I think he's actually an above average one.

RamWoodie

Legend
Not commenting on what he did in Green Bay, but he did not call the plays in Green Bay, Sherman Lewis was the offensive coordinator although Sherman was very involved. However, he did not call the plays in Seattle that is factual, he focused on the offensive line, however, he did a good job in Green Bay until his last season 4-12.
Well wait a minute. Sherman's forte is, and always has been offense...so to say a guy who was an OC who becomes a HC, and then hand picks his OC makes your comment somewhat disingenuous. Sherman chose Davis...now why would you think that is?

Why did Holmgren get Sherman to Seattle in 99? He would have kept him too, except GB offered Sherman the HC job. Let's keep it real.
He also was Head Coach of Texas A&M and was fired was fired in Green Bay (albeit one losing season) and fired as offensive coordinator of the Miami Dolphins, IMO, there are far better options than Mike Sherman and he would be a hard sell as an offensive coordinator. You might be able to sell him as assistant head coach/offensive line, but not as Offensive Coordinator there are much better options IMO.
You're entitled to that opinion. I want Sherman.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
You're entitled to that opinion. I want Sherman.

Me too just a different one.
Sherman-Full-Length.jpg

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Shotty will be here as long as Fisher is

That is all

"Deal with it"

Heard the same thing last year about Walton, that there was no way he'd be fired after only one season.

I've said it before and I will again... Fish is not the guy a lot of folks believe he is. He has gone on record saying this team needs to score more points. He greenlighted the pass-happy attempt to do just that opening last season before reigning it in when it was clear it wouldn't work. He has allowed Schotty 3 seasons to get this offense rolling and this year the running game is just as inconsistent as the passing game. Fish insists on balance, because he knows the running game is required to keep a defense honest. He's right.

So I wouldn't be too quick to make the assumption that you're making. I believe Schotty should be fired, but I'm not gonna act like I know he will be, since I obviously don't know that. Fish may surprise you here.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Norv Turner cut his teeth under John Robinson and primarily, Jimmy Johnson. Not under Martyball.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Looks like Trestman's out in Chicago... though I don't know that one good season up there means he's worth tossing Schotty for him.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I feel like I'm being a Schotty apologist on this thread but there is one thing about his "regime" with the Rams and the Jets that points me in the direction that getting rid of him might not be a bad idea: in each location there seems to have been grumbling from unnamed players about his playcalling. I do think that's an indictment of him. I'd rather have a guy in the meeting rooms like a Gregg Williams where even when things don't go well, all the guys are taking about how they just need to play harder and dig into the playbook.