Who will be the Rams' BIG FA addition?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Who will be the Rams' biggest FA acquisition?

• WR Jeffery

Votes: 12 12.4%
  • LB Hightower

Votes: 6 6.2%
  • CB Bouye

Votes: 7 7.2%
  • CB Gilmore

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • OG Zeitler

Votes: 18 18.6%
  • WR Pryor

Votes: 9 9.3%
  • WR Jackson

Votes: 19 19.6%
  • OG Lang

Votes: 9 9.3%
  • LB Perry

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • OT Whitworth

Votes: 12 12.4%

• Total voters

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
There's some cuts coming, no doubt. Kendricks IMO is gone. He doesn't fit as any sort of answer and they can trim some cap space by cutting him and bringing in another young player at the position, or even retain Harkey to ensure they have a blocking option. Dude needs to go and then bring in depth.

Pretty sure Sims is gone too, and I have a feeling Barron's a non-fit and will be traded. But either way they have plenty of cap space to add an interior OL and a wideout and still some other stuff like ILB depth etc.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
The Rams will create more cap room. New regime. The cuts are pending.

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
Mason, Sims, Kendricks, and maybe even Hayes (if he's not already a FA) come to mind. If I remember the numbers correctly, the first three alone should allow us enough cap space for Garçon's projected per annual basis. The question becomes how much do we guarantee him and in what years is it more severe. As I mentioned before, I expect one big signing, aside from Tru, and one or two middle of the line signings, with the mindset of leaving at least half our available cap for Ogeltree and more importantly, AD99.

My absolute dream would be landing Garçon and somehow trading up for Lamp in the first round. YES, TRADING UP!! I know it sounds nuts, but even if we give up a second round next year, we'll improve our oline with a perennial pro bowl guard prospect and also reduce our rookie contract obligations by one next year, leaving more money in the cap. We need to start getting quality players fast for McVay to establish this offense right away. And remember, this was the same GM who almost worked a tradeup for a third 1st round pick in the Robinson & Donald draft to pick Zack Martin, a Lamp clone.

My .02 cents

Zero

Pro Bowler
I wish there was a choice for None of the Above. IMO, it's going to be a tough sell to get a top FA to LA.
Couldn't disagree more.There are a lot of offensive players
who would love to play for McVay and the same thing can
be said about playing for Wade.The arrow is pointing up
and people around the league know this.

If we don't sign any of the tier 1 FA's I think it will be by design
or because their price tag doesn't match our assessment of value.

Zero

Pro Bowler
The Rams will create more cap room. New regime. The cuts are pending.
Cutting Barnes and Saffold would create close to
7mil in cap space.Not saying Saffold is going to
be cut,but I think it would be a consideration from
his injury history alone.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Question: been out of it for a bit (damn offseason is too long, gotta pace myself this year so I don't go nuts like last year). I thought I read that Jairus Byrd sorta flamed out in NO after being the #1 FA out of Buffalo.

I think he's still a really good FS, got bit by the injury bug a bit and he wasn't used in the same way and it hurt him (guys gotta stop ignoring the system and realize that systems matter).

Anyone think that Jairus Byrd would be a solid addition? I think Wade Philips could really get him back and as we saw in Denver, if he's got a FS who can cover and play the ball, the turnovers just ROLL in.

any thoughts?

Mackeyser

Name
Mack

Kevin Zeitler - G - Bengals
According to Draft Analyst's Tony Pauline, free agent RG Kevin Zeitler is expected to sign a deal "close to $10 million per year, if not slightly over that amount."

Steelers RG David DeCastro and Bears RG Kyle Long both make $10 million per year as the league's two highest-paid right guards. With the inflation of the salary cap and Zeitler already one of the best guards in the game, he could easily top $10 million per year. Pauline hears the Bengals aren't prepared to go that high for Zeitler. Zeitler is arguably the top offensive lineman available.

For anyone underestimating ONE OL acquisition, I have one word for you: Timmerman. *drops mic*

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Josh Gordon News:

"Suspended WR Josh Gordon will apply for reinstatement on Wednesday."

Adam Schefter
2 hrs·
Facebook Mentions
·
This is what Josh Gordon's business manager Michael Johnson said about client and decision to apply for reinstatement: "Josh is living with me and is in the best place mentally that he has been in dating back years before entering the NFL. He has taken the proper steps to treat his issues and has followed a very strict protocol that the league and our team here has laid out for him. He's also in the best shape of his life and feels even better than he did when he had his breakout year in 2013. This will be a special year for Josh and we are all very proud of the way he has taken the necessary steps to turn his life around."

I don't care what the self-appointed NFL/Josh Gordon gurus think (even though he's one of my favorite players and I know more history about him than pretty much anyone here), he's coming back, not with the Browns, but with a new team at a low cost/high reward type of scenario. The League was set to welcome him back last year, instead he made the personal and mature decision to step away and get himself treatment. Now that he's jumped through the hoops to better himself and put himself in a better standing with the league, he's in a MUCH better position to come in and stay in the NFL.

Teams are already starting to show interest.

BOOM.

McVay has to look at all of his options, if he can pick up Gordon at a very cheap cost with performance incentives, this could very well work and be a blessing to our team. If not, we've protected ourselves via the contract we set up.

Bang for the buck and Risk v Reward, I dunno if there's a better chance to take than Gordon. Couple that with Garcon and we have a damned scary WR corps, even without Britt.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Question: been out of it for a bit (damn offseason is too long, gotta pace myself this year so I don't go nuts like last year). I thought I read that Jairus Byrd sorta flamed out in NO after being the #1 FA out of Buffalo.

I think he's still a really good FS, got bit by the injury bug a bit and he wasn't used in the same way and it hurt him (guys gotta stop ignoring the system and realize that systems matter).

Anyone think that Jairus Byrd would be a solid addition? I think Wade Philips could really get him back and as we saw in Denver, if he's got a FS who can cover and play the ball, the turnovers just ROLL in.

any thoughts?

I like the idea of bringing Byrd in, provided it's not big money. If Wade looks him in the eye and senses that he's hungry to reestablish himself, then sure bring him in for an affordable contract. I've always liked Byrd, dude just got way overpaid and put himself into a poor defensive situation.

Another guy who is like that is Mario Williams. This is the kind of move that having an elite DC like Phillips allows for. The dude would have to come in on an affordable deal, and know he's gotta play balls out.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Bang for the buck and Risk v Reward, I dunno if there's a better chance to take than Gordon. Couple that with Garcon and we have a damned scary WR corps, even without Britt.

Gordon's a piece of crap. We don't need a dude like him on this roster IMO. Pass, pass, a thousand times pass!

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I'd be pretty pumped to see Calais Campbell be the big name guy - although I know it's the other side of the ball that needs the resources.

fearsomefour

Legend
Honestly, I've become a bit numb towards the 2017 Rams season based on the TruJo franchise hit. If we were one player away from greatness, I might be OK with it, but the Rams have so many holes and depth problems, it feels like a poor move for a 4-12 team to tie up 43.5% of your payroll in 6 of 53 players, ... all defensive players except for one. His CAP hit alone could have provided up to three 2'nd tier free agents, or one top tier and one 2'nd tier. The CB position group is one of the best of the 2017 draft. Spotrac has us now listed with under $20.mil in available CAP, and we still have a draft class that needs to be signed.
I agree with Rams43, we have already paid for that so-called 'big' season free agent, and then some, ... he must be laughing all the way to the bank. With Britt & Quick gone, we can't afford to let one of the better WR's on the market slip away from us, and it is a must that we get one of them out of free agency, relying on a rookie draft pick just sets Goff back that much further. Outside of that, a couple 3'rd tier guys are likely added, and that's about that. Unless we CAP cut some vets or come up with a creative trade which is CAP friendly, it looks as if we are carrying on with Fisher's 'build thru the draft' philosophy, and for long suffering Rams fans, 2017 doesn't necessarily appear to be our turn-around year. Better coaching will make a big difference, but I have to feel without substantial upgrades to our roster, our new coaching staff will be hard-pressed to get us beyond an 8 - 8 season, although even that may be a breath of fresh air considering our enduring the previous 3 coaching staffs & personnel. jmo.
Yep.
After the home loss to SF last year, well, it's hard for me to believe things will be better.
The team had an amazing window with a great D and tons of draft picks. As many missed as hits in the draft some FA defections and where are we now?
4-12. Bad O and making a switch to a "sort of part time 3/4" on D....who knows how that will go.
Look at the roster and performance. Not optimistic at all.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Cutting Barnes and Saffold would create close to
7mil in cap space.Not saying Saffold is going to
be cut,but I think it would be a consideration from
his injury history alone.

Yes the release of RS & TB would add some $$ back into the salary bank (RS about 4.2 mil. & TB approx 3 mil for a total of 7.2 mil.) I can fully understand the desire to look this way for some relief, Next season GRob's near 7 million will finally be gone & a very good chance so will RS's 7.5 million so that would leave some 14 million back into the salary cap.

With both these left side OL'ers elsewhere I sure see a need for signing a new UFA powerhouse LEFT side OL'er either OG or LT to help protect Goff's blind side. Right at the moment the options @ OLG are much better than LT so I would set my sights in that direction.

Rams have invested in drafting 3 young OG's who have started many games the last 2 seasons. Jamon Brown has started 14 games in 2 seasons mostly @ RG. Cody Wichmann has started 18 games mostly @ RG & Andrew Donnal started 6 games mostly @ RG. Sign a Ron Leary or a Kevin Zeitler for the OLG post & the other 3 young Rams to fight it out as your starting RG looks sound to me.

On the flip side both RS & TB would be our smartest & best two performing OL'ers over the last two seasons. I would not release both. The Rams do have 3 starting OG's who have started many games @ OG the last two seasons. Thus the Rams are in much better shape @ OG than @ center where TB has started the last two season.

RS has missed 16 starts & 7 parts of other games =23 out of 48 possible games. RS has also average a cost of 6.3 million a season too...costly! RS has 7 yrs in the NFL as a starter @ four OL positions by now after those 7 seasons the NFL knows what RS is capable of doing on the playing field if he is not injured.

On the flip side TB has been here since 2011 & since his arrival he has only missed 3 games do to injury. The last two seasons he had started & finished every game RS can not come close to saying that. TB injured his foot in wk #12 missed a few plays in a series & came back in to start every game from that point on with fractured bones & other foot damage till the season ended. The last 2 seasons TB has played with 6 different OG starting on both sides of him. In 2015 he had 4 rookies starting next to him at times. TB averaged only 1.5 mil a yr. these last two seasons. Most of his seasonal pay before this last contract was 600 to 700 K a season...bargain basement price. You cut TB your only OC on the roster is a 6-2 297 pound Rhaney! Not likely to be anything close to a upgrade.

Last edited:

InnovatedMind

NO MA'AM President
Name
Joe

Completely agreed!

Him smoking weed doesn't make him a piece of crap, just a kid with bad judgement. Doesn't invalidate his elite, almost other-worldly talent when he's committed and focused.

The NFL wanted him back last season, he took a hard look at himself and decided to get treatment for his problem first. That's the right decision. If he's matured and ready and you're able to acquire him for a low-risk/high reward contract... YOU AUTOMATICALLY TAKE HIM.

Screw this proud, shortsighted, illiterate fake conviction bullshit like, "he's a piece of crap because he smokes marijuana and is young and dumb". It's low risk/high reward on someone who wants to redeem himself. We're not better than him.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Completely agreed!

Him smoking weed doesn't make him a piece of crap, just a kid with bad judgement. Doesn't invalidate his elite, almost other-worldly talent when he's committed and focused.

The NFL wanted him back last season, he took a hard look at himself and decided to get treatment for his problem first. That's the right decision. If he's matured and ready and you're able to acquire him for a low-risk/high reward contract... YOU AUTOMATICALLY TAKE HIM.

Screw this proud, shortsighted, illiterate fake conviction bullcrap like, "he's a piece of crap because he smokes marijuana and is young and dumb". It's low risk/high reward on someone who wants to redeem himself. We're not better than him.
I wouldn't call the man stupid per se. But it clearly shows a lack of judgement. Think whatever you want about the rule against smoking weed but the bottom line is it's a rule and every player is expected to abide by it as part of their collectively bargained contract. I'm not going to get in a debate about the validity of the anti weed stance the NFL and it's Union have taken because frankly I couldn't give a shit about the rule. What is relevant is the man knew if he didn't get himself straight and stop smoking weed he ran the risk of losing the chance at making a lot of money to play a game. He made the choice to keep smoking instead of playing in the NFL. He may now regret that choice but he made it and has had to deal with the consequences. Multiple times now in this mans life he's made that decision which leads many people to question his judgement and his commitment to the game. Sorry if you think it's a clear cut case in signing the guy or not but others reserve the right to be skeptical when another chance comes up for him to break the rules that he might not choose the NFL over a joint.

InnovatedMind

NO MA'AM President
Name
Joe
I wouldn't call the man stupid per se. But it clearly shows a lack of judgement. Think whatever you want about the rule against smoking weed but the bottom line is it's a rule and every player is expected to abide by it as part of their collectively bargained contract. I'm not going to get in a debate about the validity of the anti weed stance the NFL and it's Union have taken because frankly I couldn't give a crap about the rule. What is relevant is the man knew if he didn't get himself straight and stop smoking weed he ran the risk of losing the chance at making a lot of money to play a game. He made the choice to keep smoking instead of playing in the NFL. He may now regret that choice but he made it and has had to deal with the consequences. Multiple times now in this mans life he's made that decision which leads many people to question his judgement and his commitment to the game. Sorry if you think it's a clear cut case in signing the guy or not but others reserve the right to be skeptical when another chance comes up for him to break the rules that he might not choose the NFL over a joint.

As an NFL Player, you need to uphold the standards and rules of the company you work for to the highest degree. Totally agreed.

What I disagree with is people saying "He made a choice to keep smoking instead of playing in the NFL. He may now regret that choice, but he made it and has had to deal with the consequences"... People keep bringing up the past like he hasn't already paid his dues... hasn't already jumped through those hoops to get reinstated. Some of his suspensions were due to past history that he had to pay for.

You know what happened last year? The League wanted to reinstate him... you know why they didn't? Because HE CHOSE to go seek professional help to curb his addiction. To mature. You know the reasoning behind that? TO ACTUALLY HAVE AN NFL CAREER.

We'll agree to disagree... but to write him off because of his past while totally disregarding the progress that he's made, the positioning he put himself in to get reinstated and STAY in the NFL... is shortsighted and a little degrading.

He'll play again. Sorry.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
For anyone underestimating ONE OL acquisition, I have one word for you: Timmerman. *drops mic*
Lol
While that acquisition is vastly under rated it also helped to have Orlando Pace manning LT

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
As an NFL Player, you need to uphold the standards and rules of the company you work for to the highest degree. Totally agreed.

What I disagree with is people saying "He made a choice to keep smoking instead of playing in the NFL. He may now regret that choice, but he made it and has had to deal with the consequences"... People keep bringing up the past like he hasn't already paid his dues... hasn't already jumped through those hoops to get reinstated. Some of his suspensions were due to past history that he had to pay for.

You know what happened last year? The League wanted to reinstate him... you know why they didn't? Because HE CHOSE to go seek professional help to curb his addiction. To mature. You know the reasoning behind that? TO ACTUALLY HAVE AN NFL CAREER.

We'll agree to disagree... but to write him off because of his past while totally disregarding the progress that he's made, the positioning he put himself in to get reinstated and STAY in the NFL... is shortsighted and a little degrading.

He'll play again. Sorry.
I have no problem with him playing again.

But you want to brush his past under the rug and say it shouldn't have an affect on how teams and fans view him. Like it or not he did make a choice. He chose to get high instead of make millions playing for the Browns and their fans. That and his recent actions will all be weighed by any team looking to give him a contract.

The reports are he's making all the right choices lately. What happens when he stops living with his agent and has to fend for himself? Best of luck to the man. But don't expect people to all of the sudden jump for joy that he's made a couple choices you deem to be right. He still has to earn trust.