Who will be the Rams' BIG FA addition?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Who will be the Rams' biggest FA acquisition?

• WR Jeffery

Votes: 12 12.4%
  • LB Hightower

Votes: 6 6.2%
  • CB Bouye

Votes: 7 7.2%
  • CB Gilmore

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • OG Zeitler

Votes: 18 18.6%
  • WR Pryor

Votes: 9 9.3%
  • WR Jackson

Votes: 19 19.6%
  • OG Lang

Votes: 9 9.3%
  • LB Perry

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • OT Whitworth

Votes: 12 12.4%

• Total voters

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
He was terrible and hurt last year. No thanks.
He was hurt and played 2 games and from what I saw yesterday on NFLN is 100% healed and is their highest rated OL FA.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Lol
While that acquisition is vastly under rated it also helped to have Orlando Pace manning LT

One other thing the turnaround on that OL in '99 demonstrated: a good OL needs at least a couple high end guys holding it down. And when you get into the greatest lines, it's more than two. IMO two is the entry level for what you want in a true Super Bowl contender.

That line in '99 had two elite players in Pace and Timmerman. Outside them were very average players. Gruttadauria and Nutten were both the kinds of guys who would have been backups on a lot of lines.

Looking at our line for this season it's clear that even with an addition of a FA we are going to need one of the holdovers on the roster to step up their game and become a higher end guy, i.e. playing at the level where he'd get some Pro Bowl votes at the least. And I don't think that's out of the realm of reason, either. Guys who I think are capable of that are Brown and Havenstein. Not going to include Saffold simply because I don't trust him to stay healthy unless it's a contract season.

Here's what we'd be looking at if we were to bring in Zeitler, who would step right in there at RG and solidify the right side of our line:

LT Saffold
LG Brown
C DRAFTEE
RG Zeitler
RT Havenstein

Looking at that it seems to me the key would be Brown. Even if Havenstein were to play at a mediocre/average level, as long as Brown raises the bar this line would be looking pretty good. Saffold is an average LT at best, and yeah he's gonna miss time. The draftee at Center is a big question mark just like Barnes will be if he is starting again. But overall IF Brown steps up and they bring in a strong OG and a solid draftee at center the pieces are there for a solid line.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
One other thing the turnaround on that OL in '99 demonstrated: a good OL needs at least a couple high end guys holding it down. And when you get into the greatest lines, it's more than two. IMO two is the entry level for what you want in a true Super Bowl contender.

That line in '99 had two elite players in Pace and Timmerman. Outside them were very average players. Gruttadauria and Nutten were both the kinds of guys who would have been backups on a lot of lines.

Looking at our line for this season it's clear that even with an addition of a FA we are going to need one of the holdovers on the roster to step up their game and become a higher end guy, i.e. playing at the level where he'd get some Pro Bowl votes at the least. And I don't think that's out of the realm of reason, either. Guys who I think are capable of that are Brown and Havenstein. Not going to include Saffold simply because I don't trust him to stay healthy unless it's a contract season.

Here's what we'd be looking at if we were to bring in Zeitler, who would step right in there at RG and solidify the right side of our line:

LT Saffold
LG Brown
C DRAFTEE
RG Zeitler
RT Havenstein

Looking at that it seems to me the key would be Brown. Even if Havenstein were to play at a mediocre/average level, as long as Brown raises the bar this line would be looking pretty good. Saffold is an average LT at best, and yeah he's gonna miss time. The draftee at Center is a big question mark just like Barnes will be if he is starting again. But overall IF Brown steps up and they bring in a strong OG and a solid draftee at center the pieces are there for a solid line.

I want to see what Greg Robinson can give us for his best contribution year be it at guard or tackle as our new OL coach see's fit in your mix above and we MUST improve at the Pivot position by an old vet place holder while we train up a rookie pick this year or maybe with major luck we can actually get Wichman to be our next 6-7 year center. I NEED much more than what you have posted above.

As far as DB's go , I just watched over 20 plus 6'2" CB's run great times and some 6'3" CB's run super fast times. It's pure insanity the talent in DB's and DL this draft has. TE's LB's and I'm satisfied with the WR's if coach is better than our past WR coach who got NOTHING out of our recievers. Shame OL with which we need the most imediate help is the thinnest group of talent this season. Spending so much on Trumaine without signing him long term seems a very bad way to use up our cap space without planning on making more space by having more upcoming cuts.

We need our third year CB to come back strong from his foot and show what he did his rookie year. Thats a MUST. Seen some mocks with us going back to back WR's. With not much space left and OL talent needed I wonder how we squeeze Garcon on the roster. This will be a rebuilding year for sure. Definately learning and transition into finding our future OL and DB's. Must get Aaron signed Long Term most importantly. So much growth needed from Jared Goff while staying healthy. Hope you guys are prayer warriors like me. We need a prayer Emoji please. Were gonna get a 2ND round CB in the 4th round with this years depth and skills at DB. :shocked: :yess:

P.S. MERLIN I think Nutten had his best season as did Grutt did for us in 99-2000. We were weakest at ORT that began to get worse and worse in Martz's no protection offense for the QB. Till we hit the St. Clair bottom. Gruttadaria signed with Cardinals for big payday the following season and we saw him tank in skills. Timmerman raised the level of play as did Orlando did. Did Nutten slide over to center or we filled that spot with who? I give Nutten kudo's for being a very good cog in our OL. Much more than I think you had him. I know Marshall had many plays where he was all skill and had no blocking. He was that good. Kurt took more hits as Bulger in two more years would start taking.

We had league MVP 3 straight years Kurt,Marshall,Kurt in the "GSOT" years. Records fell like confetti. Those awesome memories still keep me going during times like now. We did'nt protect our QB and Martz was the worst at restocking the shelves. Polley at LB from FSU worked out for at least through our 9/11 SB where refs did'nt see intentional grounding by brady in final FG drive and NO holding calls on pats "D" untill the 4th quarter they called one mugging on Marshall. If we had won that game Kurt would have never gotten his chance to shine in Arizona and maybe no HOF. So all things worked out unless you think we could have won 3 SB's before it blew up. Being a 50 plus RAMS fan is not as bad as being a Viking,Eagle,Bills,Browns,Bengals,Panthers etc...:grouphug:

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I want to see what Greg Robinson can give us for his best contribution year be it at guard or tackle as our new OL coach see's fit in your mix above and we MUST improve at the Pivot position by an old vet place holder while we train up a rookie pick this year or maybe with major luck we can actually get Wichman to be our next 6-7 year center. I NEED much more than what you have posted above.

As far as DB's go , I just watched over 20 plus 6'2" CB's run great times and some 6'3" CB's run super fast times. It's pure insanity the talent in DB's and DL this draft has. TE's LB's and I'm satisfied with the WR's if coach is better than our past WR coach who got NOTHING out of our recievers. Shame OL with which we need the most imediate help is the thinnest group of talent this season. Spending so much on Trumaine without signing him long term seems a very bad way to use up our cap space without planning on making more space by having more upcoming cuts.

We need our third year CB to come back strong from his foot and show what he did his rookie year. Thats a MUST. Seen some mocks with us going back to back WR's. With not much space left and OL talent needed I wonder how we squeeze Garcon on the roster. This will be a rebuilding year for sure. Definately learning and transition into finding our future OL and DB's. Must get Aaron signed Long Term most importantly. So much growth needed from Jared Goff while staying healthy. Hope you guys are prayer warriors like me. We need a prayer Emoji please. Were gonna get a 2ND round CB in the 4th round with this years depth and skills at DB. :shocked: :yess:

P.S. MERLIN I think Nutten had his best season as did Grutt did for us in 99-2000. We were weakest at ORT that began to get worse and worse in Martz's no protection offense for the QB. Till we hit the St. Clair bottom. Gruttadaria signed with Cardinals for big payday the following season and we saw him tank in skills. Timmerman raised the level of play as did Orlando did. Did Nutten slide over to center or we filled that spot with who? I give Nutten kudo's for being a very good cog in our OL. Much more than I think you had him. I know Marshall had many plays where he was all skill and had no blocking. He was that good. Kurt took more hits as Bulger in two more years would start taking.

We had league MVP 3 straight years Kurt,Marshall,Kurt in the "GSOT" years. Records fell like confetti. Those awesome memories still keep me going during times like now. We did'nt protect our QB and Martz was the worst at restocking the shelves. Polley at LB from FSU worked out for at least through our 9/11 SB where refs did'nt see intentional grounding by brady in final FG drive and NO holding calls on pats "D" untill the 4th quarter they called one mugging on Marshall. If we had won that game Kurt would have never gotten his chance to shine in Arizona and maybe no HOF. So all things worked out unless you think we could have won 3 SB's before it blew up. Being a 50 plus RAMS fan is not as bad as being a Viking,Eagle,Bills,Browns,Bengals,Panthers etc...:grouphug:

Yeah the CB talent is just stupid so it's likely we'll see one added just a matter of when. It is a need even if they sign Tru, because they cannot afford to count on Gaines and get burned again. And I like Gaines still btw too.

My point with Nutten and Gruttadauria is they were made better by guys playing at a high level. Pace on the blindside and Timmerman on the right OG spot holding things down for the three next to them. Yeah, they played well, sure. But when you're talking about makeup of good to great lines you gotta have at least a couple playing at a high level holding things together. Meaning we need another guy to step up on this line even assuming they bring in a top guy like Zeitler. And the extended point was that there are only a couple guys who might be capable of that in our holdovers (Brown & Havenstein).

I'm excited about this season, but they really gotta nail FA here as it opens. Hopeful that's what happens.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
There's a difference between earning trust and taking a low risk chance. I'm fine with signing Gordon in FA on a cheap deal. If he gets suspended, it doesn't hurt us. But I don't trust him.

And if we do sign him in FA, I'm going into the draft not counting Gordon as a member of this team. Basically, I'm going to draft as if we never signed him. If he plays, great. If he doesn't play, we're ready for that.

Until the kid puts together 16 games, I'm not buying that he will. Some can say that's unfair, but that's what he's earned. Kicked off Baylor, Kicked off Utah, suspended two games, suspended 11 games, suspended 16 games, and then suspended 16 games again. Since 2011, Gordon has played 35 of the 103 games he was eligible to play. The 68 games he missed were all due to suspensions.

I challenge anyone to convince me why I should believe this kid is going to stay on the straight and narrow.

I have no issues with the Rams taking a no risk/high reward chance on him, as long as they prepare as if he's not going to play in 2017.

I'm not saying I trust him. I'm saying that IF he's got his head squared away, then because of his past, a team could potentially get an IMMENSE talent for very little money. Because of his past, NO team will give him big dollars, even if he has a monster year.

Heck, the Rams had Titus Young in. It was clear that he wasn't even CLOSE to being about football and they let him walk. I also mentioned Gordon in addition to adding Garcon. I wouldn't expect Gordon to be the only FA WR addition.

So we kinda agree on treating him as extra rather than relying on him as a core player.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

LT Saffold
LG Brown
C DRAFTEE
RG Zeitler
RT Havenstein

I still have a hard time believing that they'll purposefully go into the year with Saffold starting at LT.

I also think we'll strongly consider Ryan Groy at Center.

KOWALSKI

Rookie
looks like garcon is on his way to san fran.
well prepare to get a terrance williams for 7 million.
and saffold as left tackle.

the niners with garcon and cousins are already better than us.

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler

In the words of Aaron a Rodgers, " r-e-l-a-x."

This is free agency 101. Rumors are swirling just as bad as rumors will be swirling during the last few days prior to the draft. Shit is being thrown against the wall by every media outlet so they can claim it as their respective break when something sticks. We are in great hands, trust our team and our process. We WILL be active and pull off some dandy moves, I do believe.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I wish there was a choice for None of the Above. IMO, it's going to be a tough sell to get a top FA to LA. A down team, in a far below average stadium for the next two years, with sub-par training facilities, with a tax rate 10-14% higher than most of the country are not exactly big selling points. The twinkling, dazzling lights will only get you so far. I think we'll get lower level FA's, but not too hopeful for much more. We'll see soon.

I agree. From a players standpoint there is not a lot of draw until the stadium is done.

Pryor all day! He's young and talented and shouldn't break the bank. We need to invest in the future and I don't think Garcon or Jackson have much of a future left in them.

I am not a Pryor guy, from his days when he was a PSU lean and a last minute Ohio State commit, to the free tattoos and a different car every month, to his stupid quotes about everybody kills people. No thanks, but just think if he had come into the league as a receiver, or played one in college. He left a ton of money in the dust already. If he had played receiver in college he could possibly have been a first round pick.

Kevin Zeitler - G - Bengals
According to Draft Analyst's Tony Pauline, free agent RG Kevin Zeitler is expected to sign a deal "close to $10 million per year, if not slightly over that amount."

Steelers RG David DeCastro and Bears RG Kyle Long both make $10 million per year as the league's two highest-paid right guards. With the inflation of the salary cap and Zeitler already one of the best guards in the game, he could easily top $10 million per year. Pauline hears the Bengals aren't prepared to go that high for Zeitler. Zeitler is arguably the top offensive lineman available.

In two or three years it looks like a bargain. Every year when Snead and Fisher were here it looked like the Rams didn't have the cap space to sign top free agents, and they still managed to figure it out. Ziegler would be worth it.

I doubt it'll happen due to our cap situation, but I want Donta Hightower

Again, they have ample cap room.

-- that is true . I have to think when McVay talks highly of a Ram player in public right now !! It has to hold face value. Then what does your team & players think ?? If you talk about a position it holds a totally different weight.
I think McVay is about building trust & relationships with his players. A big difference from these last 5 years.
Being a players coach is not about giving players extra time off , it's about building them into better players if men.

I think he just threw out familiar names when pressed to. At this point he would be

1. foolish to bad mouth any player
2. be locked into anyone regardless of comments made in March
3. sorry about loyalty to players he has never coached

If Barnes were cut in August, nobody on the team will be saying- "But he said Barnes was good and got his hopes up." and start a mutinee

Plus if McVay's is going to worry about hurting everyone's feelings, then they might as well have saved the money and kept Fisher.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I agree. From a players standpoint there is not a lot of draw until the stadium is done.

I am not a Pryor guy, from his days when he was a PSU lean and a last minute Ohio State commit, to the free tattoos and a different car every month, to his stupid quotes about everybody kills people. No thanks, but just think if he had come into the league as a receiver, or played one in college. He left a ton of money in the dust already. If he had played receiver in college he could possibly have been a first round pick.

In two or three years it looks like a bargain. Every year when Snead and Fisher were here it looked like the Rams didn't have the cap space to sign top free agents, and they still managed to figure it out. Ziegler would be worth it.

Again, they have ample cap room.

I think he just threw out familiar names when pressed to. At this point he would be

1. foolish to bad mouth any player
2. be locked into anyone regardless of comments made in March
3. sorry about loyalty to players he has never coached

If Barnes were cut in August, nobody on the team will be saying- "But he said Barnes was good and got his hopes up." and start a mutinee

Plus if McVay's is going to worry about hurting everyone's feelings, then they might as well have saved the money and kept Fisher.

I think McVay is telling the truth in how he is evaluating those players.
He also he wants great Rams at every position & is always going to try to upgrade & get better.

--- We will see , but Barnes is not going to get cut. Saffold will be a Ram in 2017.
Rob Hav will start at Tackle. Higbee is going to get a lot game Reps z

There is no doubt in my mind this will happen. I think McVay is being totally standup.

McVay as a coach is not going to be afraid to tell a player how he feels.Kromer already said they are coaches amongst teachers.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Lol no they aren't. But we do have work to do

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I still have a hard time believing that they'll purposefully go into the year with Saffold starting at LT.

I also think we'll strongly consider Ryan Groy at Center.

I don't like Saffold starting anywhere on the line tbh. I didn't like his play last year, or really since his contract season for that matter. But I do think they "pencil" him in as the starter somewhere, they pretty much have to, and then let him compete to keep the job.

If I had to guess I think the LT depth chart will begin with Saffold vs everyone else, from GRob to Murphy. I expect them to open up the competition there with an eye towards finding who is behind Roger. Then it'll be Saffold>whoever there at LT to start the season.

It's just a bad year for the position all around. FA and the draft both don't really offer up solutions, so the Rams will bring in a big project type probably in the draft and add him to their holdover projects, then let Kromer do his thing through camp to find a combination that gets them through the season without Goff being killed.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I still have a hard time believing that they'll purposefully go into the year with Saffold starting at LT. I also think we'll strongly consider Ryan Groy at Center.
I really like the center Ryan Groy ideal myself.

I have no issues with Rodger Saffold being a part of the overall 2017 plan @ the LT post. prospect cadre plan but I would be very uncomfortable with Saffold as the main fix.

My first move would be to secure a LEFT OG. I keep seeing where many here like the signing of these good RIGHT OG's like Kevin Zeitler or TJ Lang or Larry Warford. I do not see the right side as the big issue. I like the earlier suggestion of a strong healthy excellent pass & run blocking Left OG Ron Leary to team him with whom ever starts @ LT.

I would prefer a much more comprehensive left side OL plan myself:
#1- Go get one good LT prospect in the draft with one of the first four selections.
#2- Weed through the other already signed OT's types like Pace Murphy, Darrell Williams, Andrew Donnal & lastly Greg Robinson to select the best one.
#3-Get Rodger Saffold to slim down from 332 pounds back down under 320 when he was our starting LT 311 pounds & compete strictly @ LT prospect.

That should give you a trio of LT's to control the LT post in 2017 along with veteran Ron Leary.

Last edited:

RamsFlash80

Pro Bowler

LT Saffold
LG Brown
C DRAFTEE
RG Zeitler
RT Havenstein

I'm with you on Zeitler. Get this man in horns.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I really like the center Ryan Groy ideal myself.

I have no issues with Rodger Saffold being a part of the overall 2017 plan @ the LT post. prospect cadre plan but I would be very uncomfortable with Saffold as the main fix.

My first move would be to secure a LEFT OG. I keep seeing where many here like the signing of these good RIGHT OG's like Kevin Zeitler or TJ Lang or Larry Warford. I do not see the right side as the big issue. I like the earlier suggestion of a strong healthy excellent pass & run blocking Left OG Ron Leary to team him with whom ever starts @ LT.

I would prefer a much more comprehensive left side OL plan myself:
#1- Go get one good LT prospect in the draft with one of the first four selections.
#2- Weed through the other already signed OT's types like Pace Murphy, Darrell Williams, Andrew Donnal & lastly Greg Robinson to select the best one.
#3-Get Rodger Saffold to slim down from 332 pounds back down under 320 when he was our starting LT 311 pounds & compete strictly @ LT prospect.

That should give you a trio of LT's to control the LT post in 2017 along with veteran Ron Leary.

T.J. Lang is a LG.(well, technically, he's played both)

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well it looks like the board favorite is Jackson. Man I hope it's not him, as the dude's a bit of a diva. All rumors point to Tampa for him, so we'll see if the board is smarter than the NFL insiders!