Who will be odd man out?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
I don't think Fisher is the kind of coach to write down a position and then jot down a hard number of players he will keep to play that position.
He will keep the players that best help the team. Yes you have a number but with Fisher it is a flexable number he will do what is best. My take is 6 on the final roster to start the season.

Last edited:

69superbowl

Rookie
Unless the switch is flipped and Quick gets noticeably better, him. It's his time to step up. He's got training camp and pre-season. The Rams are not good enough to carry roster baggage. Pettis is better (to date).

lockdnram21

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ok, but he isn't. He's a TE. Period.

They kept 5 WRs last year. Whether they keep 5 this year or more doesn't depend upon Cook at the TE position.

if you gone get attitude dont comment on my post

lockdnram21

Legend
Unless the switch is flipped and Quick gets noticeably better, him. It's his time to step up. He's got training camp and pre-season. The Rams are not good enough to carry roster baggage. Pettis is better (to date).

i disagree imo pettis is not better

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
I keep hoping but the reports about his mistakes, inconsistencies and the body language that follows going into the OTA's this year .... I'm starting to have my doubts. The kid seems to lack self confidence. He needs to mentally overcome mistakes if he is ever going to reach his "potential". Can't "play fast" if you constantly are letting things linger in the back of your mind.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
It's about time the Rams have some really hard decisions on cutting the roster down.
I think 5 WR after Bailey comes back. 4 RB's from the get go.
Will the team keep 6 WR's and cut a better player at another position is what it might come down to. This is what puts Pettis on the bubble, he's in his walk year so do you keep him for the year and cut a DB or OL guy with higher upside? If you keep 6 would they only be able to keep 3 TE's? Really it's looked at as WR's and TE's in one group. 9 is normal, 10 if the last guy has more talent than the last guy in another group. 24 O, 24 D 2 ST and 3 kicking unit.
The bottom guys in each position group are really going to have to excell at special teams if they want on the roster.

F. Mulder

Starter
I've said it before and I still maintain that Quick strikes me as the type of WR who, if you can get him the ball once or twice early (successfully, obviously) he can get his confidence and allow his talent to take over. I would almost ensure that one of the earliest pass plays called in a game with him in is a simple bubble screen where he can make the catch, initiate contact and be fully vested in the game. To me he is still a fragile player who gets down and/or frustrated easily so if he doesn't get targets or makes a mistake he can disappear easily the rest of the game.

I know I'm in the minority here but I still think he can become more than an underachiever but do agree this is his key year.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
What happens when WR UDFA Diontae Spencer turns out to be just as exciting as Tavon Austin.was last yr as a returner? Will the main returner come from the DB's like Greg Ried or the WR's or the RB's Tre Mason?

Memphis Ram

Legend
What happens when WR UDFA Diontae Spencer turns out to be just as exciting as Tavon Austin.was last yr as a returner? Will the main returner come from the DB's like Greg Ried or the WR's or the RB's Tre Mason?

Then trading up for Austin last year wouldn't look too good.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I have a feeling they will stick with Quick one more season. He was drafted so high, you want to be sure before you cut your ties with him. That said, I think Quick should be the odd man out. I just don't see the light bulb going on for him. He has the physical tools but not the mentality to use those tools. The aggressiveness, that want the ball more than the DB is not something that is taught. I think thats something you have or you don't. And I don't think he has it.

F. Mulder

Starter
It's about time the Rams have some really hard decisions on cutting the roster down.
I think 5 WR after Bailey comes back. 4 RB's from the get go.
Will the team keep 6 WR's and cut a better player at another position is what it might come down to. This is what puts Pettis on the bubble, he's in his walk year so do you keep him for the year and cut a DB or OL guy with higher upside? If you keep 6 would they only be able to keep 3 TE's? Really it's looked at as WR's and TE's in one group. 9 is normal, 10 if the last guy has more talent than the last guy in another group. 24 O, 24 D 2 ST and 3 kicking unit.
The bottom guys in each position group are really going to have to excell at special teams if they want on the roster.

I agree with this. For a team to TRULY grow as a more complete team you need to have roster battles between 2-3 people for the LAST spot on their respective units and these battles need between solid players not the best of the worst remaining. For too many years the last OL or other positions have been guys who didn't belong on an NFL roster. Some guys will seal their own fate with poor play but I want to see guys cut who could play in this league.

Regarding the WR, OL, and DB positions I don't want it to be a group of ok guys through and through, I want ALL the guys who make it able to play and contribute.

My worry regarding the WRs is that they end up being a meh group with little separation between the #2 and #5/6 WR? We know about Austin (at least I do) but guys like Givens, Bailey, Quick, Britt, Pettis, et. al. need to separate themselves so that you have a clearer idea on the pecking order and know who can do what when instead of constantly tinkering. Same with the OL where you get to the second-tier with guys like Barrett/Barnes, Washington, Hooey, Person, and the recent UDFA and draft picks (minus Robinson of course). Too often the last two OL spots have been held by guys who really have little or no chance if they were forced into game action IMO. I also understand that probably 2-3 DBs who make the team will be young and unproven but they NEED to be able to play and not be major liabilities or good NFL teams will tear them up as they would ANY team weakness.

69superbowl

Rookie
i disagree imo pettis is not better
Lockd, Quick is a physical specimen, but Pettis is a reliable receiver. Based on what we've seen from Quick, he is behind Pettis (expected given his experience). I don't think the 2014 Rams are going to abide another season of growing pains from Quick. He's a professional, time play like the high draft pick he was. Classic case of potential vs. production.

lockdnram21

Legend
Lockd, Quick is a physical specimen, but Pettis is a reliable receiver. Based on what we've seen from Quick, he is behind Pettis (expected given his experience). I don't think the 2014 Rams are going to abide another season of growing pains from Quick. He's a professional, time play like the high draft pick he was. Classic case of potential vs. production.

i think Quick is going to get more of a chance this year. I dont even consider Pettis as competition. To me hes not that good of a outside receiver. Hes better in the slot. I dont think Pettis will see the field much this year, like he did as the season progressed last season.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
i think Quick is going to get more of a chance this year. I dont even consider Pettis as competition. To me hes not that good of a outside receiver. Hes better in the slot. I dont think Pettis will see the field much this year, like he did as the season progressed last season.
You might be disappointed if that's what you're expecting. Pettis can (and does) line up in the X, Y and Z. Quick is only an outside receiver. If he can ever become the kind they drafted, then he'll have a permanent home on the outside and all of this discussion will be moot. But until he does, Pettis offers the offense more flexibility. And as the season progressed (when Bradford went down and Clemens took over), his touches and targets dropped off dramatically. Who is the QB now though? And which of the receivers does Bradford trust the most? If you're looking for first downs, Pettis has twice as many FD catches than Quick over the past two years. That's not something you abandon on the basis of potential somewhere else. One is a sure-thing. The other isn't yet.

lockdnram21

Legend
You might be disappointed if that's what you're expecting. Pettis can (and does) line up in the X, Y and Z. Quick is only an outside receiver. If he can ever become the kind they drafted, then he'll have a permanent home on the outside and all of this discussion will be moot. But until he does, Pettis offers the offense more flexibility. And as the season progressed (when Bradford went down and Clemens took over), his touches and targets dropped off dramatically. Who is the QB now though? And which of the receivers does Bradford trust the most? If you're looking for first downs, Pettis has twice as many FD catches than Quick over the past two years. That's not something you abandon on the basis of potential somewhere else. One is a sure-thing. The other isn't yet.

i never said Pettis doesnt play outside i just said imo hes not good at it. pettis snaps started to decrease before Bradford got hurt. imo if Bradford wouldnt have got hurt u would have seen more out of Quick. All im saying is between Britt, Quick,Givens,Bailey, Austin they are all ahead of Pettis in the Pecking order, and dont see it changing.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
i never said Pettis doesnt play outside i just said imo hes not good at it. pettis snaps started to decrease before Bradford got hurt. imo if Bradford wouldnt have got hurt u would have seen more out of Quick. All im saying is between Britt, Quick,Givens,Bailey, Austin they are all ahead of Pettis in the Pecking order, and dont see it changing.
Yeah, but you're wrong about that too. His stats are nearly identical no matter if it's inside or outside. I was speaking to his versatility and not so much about how he compares to Quick. And when did Quick become the standard of measure anyway? Pettis has always outperformed him up to now. If that changes this year, then great. I have no problem with that. In fact, I'm actually hoping Quick makes measureable strides. But until he does, why wouldn't you choose production over potential? That's all I'm saying.

lockdnram21

Legend
Yeah, but you're wrong about that too. His stats are nearly identical no matter if it's inside or outside. I was speaking to his versatility and not so much about how he compares to Quick. And when did Quick become the standard of measure anyway? Pettis has always outperformed him up to now. If that changes this year, then great. I have no problem with that. In fact, I'm actually hoping Quick makes measureable strides. But until he does, why wouldn't you choose production over potential? That's all I'm saying.

how am i wrong its my opinion? I wasnt comparing him to Quick at all. I pick potential over production in this case because i dont look at it as all his fault. I seen a lot of plays not made that should of been. some where because of the line not giving Clemens time, Clemens not acurrate, or just not seeing Quick. But i respect your opinion

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
how am i wrong its my opinion? I wasnt comparing him to Quick at all. I pick potential over production in this case because i dont look at it as all his fault. I seen a lot of plays not made that should of been. some where because of the line not giving Clemens time, Clemens not acurrate, or just not seeing Quick. But i respect your opinion
Let me help clear this up, because I'm not attacking you.

You said:
i never said Pettis doesnt play outside i just said imo hes not good at it.

My response was that his stats are identical inside and outside. That means he's good at both. Or, if you prefer, not good at either.

As for you not comparing him to Quick, how else would one construe this statement?
i disagree imo pettis is not better (than Quick).

But I'm not comparing them either. Pettis is a utility receiver who's proven to be very reliable. Quick is a physical specimen who should be our answer to the X or Z position and stay there for the next 8-10 years. BUT. Until he can do that, Pettis is going to get the majority of the targets because he's demonstrated that he can make the tough grab and fight for the ball in the air. His range and hands are very good. As are Quick's, but he's not nearly as physical on contested balls, so he doesn't get a lot of those opportunities.

Yet.

This should be his year. Because if it isn't, then there's something quite decidedly wrong with his game.

FRO

Legend
I agree with a lot that has been said about Quick. As far as ability, it's there. As far as aggression and mentally, that's the part that's holding him back and may never get. What seperates athletes isn't always the physical ability. Many times it's that killer instinct and aggression. That's what set Michael Jordan apart from the rest. The thing that has me excited about Britt isn't just the physical ability, but it's the report of competitiveness and intensity in OTAs. That's what Quick needs. If you watch his college stuff he is playing with attitude and confidence. When you watch him in the pros you don't see that.