Who will be odd man out?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FRO

Legend
Pettis is the definition of a role player. Someone who can make the tough catch to get you that 4th and 5 late in the game is certainly worth rostering as a 5-6 WR.

I don't know about you but I certainly don't trust Quick/Britt's hands enough, nor Austin/Bailey's size to get that tough catch.

Pettis takes a lot of flack because he never developed into a solid starter, but he's got the most reliable hands on the team.
I trust Pettis 100 times more than Quick. He doesn't have the upside of Quick, but he has proven to be able to contribute on the field.

I think we keep 6 WRs. Last year we kept 5 RBs, no need to do that. Keep 4 RBs and 6 WRs.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Pettis to me is kind of a possession receiver and "jack of all trades, master of none" guy. I think it really depends if someone else can play that role just as effectively while providing something else. Is TJ Moe a better fit as a possession guy? Is Veltung a better super-sub/returner?

I really don't expect any of the other 4 from last season or Britt to be on the bubble. So to me Pettis is fighting for a spot with Moe, Veltung, and a few of the other guys...and it is possible none of them make it, but who knows.

lockdnram21

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
As much as were going to be running i dont think 7 receivers are needed. I count Cook as a receiver. Yhats the main reason i dont see us carrying 6 because of cook.

FRO

Legend
As much as were going to be running i dont think 7 receivers are needed. I count Cook as a receiver. Yhats the main reason i dont see us carrying 6 because of cook.
What do you do when a guy gets injured. Pettis will do more for the team than Chase Reynolds.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
well then when Bailey comes back he want dress then. i dont see them having 6 active receiver on game day

Not counting Bailey, that will be 5 through the first four games. If they don't wanna carry 6 week 5 then one can still be stored on the 53 man roster.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Count me in "it's a good problem to have" crowd as well. The only issue these guys have is lack of experience and vet leadership. Well after a solid off season, these guys will step up. For years we looked at a bunch of jags we hoped we could get by with. Now it's a matter of who we have to let go of.

FRO

Legend
me personally i would keep 5 receiver and 4 rb. cut Pettis and Reynolds. keep extra lineman and Db
I just have a hard time cutting Pettis. He is assignment sound. Has good hands. Is probably our best redzone guy. He isn't flashy and shouldn't start, but he can be a solid role guy. To be honest I would take Pettis over Quick.

lockdnram21

Legend
I just have a hard time cutting Pettis. He is assignment sound. Has good hands. Is probably our best redzone guy. He isn't flashy and shouldn't start, but he can be a solid role guy. To be honest I would take Pettis over Quick.

i wouldnt take Pettis over Quick. I also think Cook is better in red zone. I think Cook is going to be the one who breaks out this year. He looked a lot better once we were ale to run the ball. I think he will be a top 10 TE this up coming season

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
i wouldnt take Pettis over Quick. I also think Cook is better in red zone. I think Cook is going to be the one who breaks out this year. He looked a lot better once we were ale to run the ball. I think he will be a top 10 TE this up coming season

I think we might have already seen what we can expect from Cook. Cook was brought in to be a weapon in the failed spread offense. With a power running game, he's going to see less snaps as they use Kendricks and Harkey more like they did once they changed philosophies mid season.

lockdnram21

Legend
I think we might have already seen what we can expect from Cook. Cook was brought in to be a weapon in the failed spread offense. With a power running game, he's going to see less snaps as they use Kendricks and Harkey more like they did once they changed philosophies mid season.

the spread failed because we couldnt run the ball without the extra Te. I think thats why theytried to upgrade the line. i think we will be able to run the ball better without the extra te

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
Even with upgrading the line, most run heavy teams continue to use an in-line TE quite frequently.

Cook does have something of a receiver skillset so there's still going to be plenty of snaps for him to make an impact. I just don't anticipate him producing a lot more offensively than he did last year.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Ok, but he isn't. He's a TE. Period.

They kept 5 WRs last year. Whether they keep 5 this year or more doesn't depend upon Cook at the TE position.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Austin Pettis may have the best hands on the team and is a good route runner. He's also appears to be the WR Bradford trusts the most as he's a clutch complementary target. Barring an injury where he misses most of camp, I'd be shocked if Pettis doesn't make the final 53 man roster.