Who will be odd man out?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

lockdnram21

Legend
Last year we only kept 5 recivers. I also think this year we keep 5. I think it comes down to what Britt and Quick do between now and camp. I think they will both show up. So i think the odd man will be pettis. the first 4 weeks we probably keep Franklin or Moe untill Bailey comes back then they would go to practice squad.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
Barring injury they'll keep 6. They're not going to have Bailey for the first 4 games so they'll go with Austin, Givens, Britt, Pettis, and Quick for the first 4. At that point I doubt they'll drop somebody.

What they're not going to do is keep 5 RBs which was pretty ridiculous last season.

But I suppose Chase Reynolds is the straw that stirs the special teams drink.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Hard to tell, but it's a good problem to have.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
I don't think that only keeping 5 last year means they only keep 5 this year. Many factors involved.

lockdnram21

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hard to tell, but it's a good problem to have.

Not really as the season went on Pettis start lossing snaps to Quick and Bailey. Now factor in Britt. the 6th reciver want even see the field imo.
You also cant forget that Cook more often then not lines up in the slot

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Not really as the season went on Pettis start lossing snaps to Quick and Bailey. Now factor in Britt. the 6th reciver want even see the field imo.
You also cant forget that Cook more often then not lines up in the slot
I meant having to distinguish which of our good receivers is going to be the "odd man out" is a good problem to have.
There's nothing wrong with Pettis in terms of talent and production. So if he gets moved on, then all the other receivers must be that good.

lockdnram21

Legend
I meant having to distinguish which of our good receivers is going to be the "odd man out" is a good problem to have.
There's nothing wrong with Pettis in terms of talent and production. So if he gets moved on, then all the other receivers must be that good.

ok i understand

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
Pettis is the definition of a role player. Someone who can make the tough catch to get you that 4th and 5 late in the game is certainly worth rostering as a 5-6 WR.

I don't know about you but I certainly don't trust Quick/Britt's hands enough, nor Austin/Bailey's size to get that tough catch.

Pettis takes a lot of flack because he never developed into a solid starter, but he's got the most reliable hands on the team.

lockdnram21

Legend
Pettis is the definition of a role player. Someone who can make the tough catch to get you that 4th and 5 late in the game is certainly worth rostering as a 5-6 WR.

I don't know about you but I certainly don't trust Quick/Britt's hands enough, nor Austin/Bailey's size to get that tough catch.

Pettis takes a lot of flack because he never developed into a solid starter, but he's got the most reliable hands on the team.

i just look at how he started loosing snaps last year. dont see him in the long term plans. I also expect Quick to take the next step. He also started making catches in traffic. I also think Bailey has just as good of hands as Pettis. Bailey makes up for siz with long arms he plays bigger then he looks. If they do Keep Pettis i would be surprised if he gets 25 catches this season

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
Quick has a hard time using his best weapon, his size. You saw it at the end of the Seattle game when he couldn't get off his man in the end zone.

I hope you're right about him, but I certainly haven't seen enough that makes me feel comfortable with the ball going to him in a key situation.

I don't think Pettis gets 25 catches either. But he might make 4-5 really important ones. He'll always be an underrated situational receiver IMO.

lockdnram21

Legend
Quick has a hard time using his best weapon, his size. You saw it at the end of the Seattle game when he couldn't get off his man in the end zone.

I hope you're right about him, but I certainly haven't seen enough that makes me feel comfortable with the ball going to him in a key situation.

I don't think Pettis gets 25 catches either. But he might make 4-5 really important ones. He'll always be an underrated situational receiver IMO.

I actually thoght if the ball would have been thrown in front of Quick low he would have had a chance. i dont think that the db had anything to do with quick not catching the ball on that play. I think him and clemens just wasnt on the same page. Quick went 5o front of end zone and Clemens went to back

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
Considering Quick's previous brain farts (i.e. balls hitting him in the ass) I wouldn't be at all surprised if that was part of it.

That's another thing that's concerning. Can you trust him to run the right route? Let's hope so!

It'd sure be nice to reward the gamble of taking Quick in the 2nd.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I gotta wonder if Pettis gets cut, does he take on a bigger role with someone else. It's like the Gibson factor. Often players are a better fit for a different system. Of course Gibson was better with Sam throwing to him as it turned out. Personally, I think we keep him. If he is on the bubble, he probably gets the first four games to show his value.

lockdnram21

Legend
I gotta wonder if Pettis gets cut, does he take on a bigger role with someone else. It's like the Gibson factor. Often players are a better fit for a different system. Of course Gibson was better with Sam throwing to him as it turned out. Personally, I think we keep him. If he is on the bubble, he probably gets the first four games to show his value.

The thing is i dont think there will be enough targets to go around.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Considering Quick's previous brain farts (i.e. balls hitting him in the ass) I wouldn't be at all surprised if that was part of it.

That's another thing that's concerning. Can you trust him to run the right route? Let's hope so!

The pass to Quick's back was because he missed the hot read, not really that he ran the wrong route. Still a brain fart I know but I think Sam got the point across. Sure looked like both frustration and a teaching maneuver. Sam seemed to put a fair amount of steam on it in drilling it right into his back.

It's always the troubling thing with Quick. He flashes and then seems to just disappear. I do attribute a good amount of his second half of the season disappearing act on KC not even looking his way. Maybe that was because KC has real accuracy problems - especially on middle to deep routes. Maybe it was a total lack of trust in BQ. But I saw Quick pretty open on several plays and KC's head didn't even turn his way.

lockdnram21

Legend

it should be noted that Pettis missed that hot read to. people dont talk about it ecause Bradord didnt throw the all his way

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
The pass to Quick's back was because he missed the hot read, not really that he ran the wrong route. Still a brain fart I know but I think Sam got the point across. Sure looked like both frustration and a teaching maneuver. Sam seemed to put a fair amount of steam on it in drilling it right into his back.

It's always the troubling thing with Quick. He flashes and then seems to just disappear. I do attribute a good amount of his second half of the season disappearing act on KC not even looking his way. Maybe that was because KC has real accuracy problems - especially on middle to deep routes. Maybe it was a total lack of trust in BQ. But I saw Quick pretty open on several plays and KC's head didn't even turn his way.

You're spot on about Quick and Clemens lack of chemistry. I noticed that too.

Sam's injury not only hurt his growth in this offense, but I can't help but think how much a player like Quick would've benefited from having him out there in the second half.

I hope the offense can pick up where it left off in the HOU, JAX, CAR games prior to Sam's freak injury.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
You're spot on about Quick and Clemens lack of chemistry. I noticed that too.

Sam's injury not only hurt his growth in this offense, but I can't help but think how much a player like Quick would've benefited from having him out there in the second half.

I hope the offense can pick up where it left off in the HOU, JAX, CAR games prior to Sam's freak injury.
Me too man. Me too.