Who to cut from the team

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
That's where we differ. I don't care what they do in the offseason, or during a bye week, or anything like that. But clowning in the locker room after a loss? Yeah, no thanks. Clowing around on the sidelines during a loss? Again, no thanks. I saw an instagram of the receivers immediately after a loss where they were posing and joking around with Stedman's kid, and off in the distance you can see Donald sitting by himself just stewing in his own juices. All kinds of ticked off. That's the appropriate response in that situation. Not taking selfies and acting as though everything's great.
I agree, there's been far too much on this team and sadly it extends far past the receivers.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Gaines rookie year was a fluke he spent majority of his time guarding the #3 receiver. He at best is a good nickle which is very important but I was never sold on getting rid of Jenkins because we had Gaines. One thing for sure though, that cornerback spot is going to be very competitive which should help all parties involved
How do you say it was a fluke? On what data? He was a starting corner his rookie season. If he wasn't guarding #1 and #2 receivers who was? Tru was out.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's where we differ. I don't care what they do in the offseason, or during a bye week, or anything like that. But clowning in the locker room after a loss? Yeah, no thanks. Clowing around on the sidelines during a loss? Again, no thanks. I saw an instagram of the receivers immediately after a loss where they were posing and joking around with Stedman's kid, and off in the distance you can see Donald sitting by himself just stewing in his own juices. All kinds of ticked off. That's the appropriate response in that situation. Not taking selfies and acting as though everything's great.

But what you're talking about happens on every sideline on every NFL team. And Stedman did almost lose his life. Britt is the best receiver on this team by a mile, Britt and Austin mixed with the new guys and a better OC and scheme can do some damage. I follow them both on social media and seeing how hard they work every offseason that's what I like. I don't think Austin is the most intelligent guy but he has been playing football his entire life and has been successful at it at every level. He has good football acumen imho. I just think neither really gets a fair chance shot with the play calling and overall ineptness of the offensive coaching staff

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
How do you say it was a fluke? On what data? He was a starting corner his rookie season. If he wasn't guarding #1 and #2 receivers who was? Tru was out.
He was only starting when they went out when Jenkins and tru was playing he was number 3. Yeah he played good when Tru went out but he was still guarding number twos and his rookie year we really didn't go against any of the top passing offenses and when we did like against the gaints he got ate up and when Dez went off when he went to that side Gaines got ate up. He is a good 3 corner but he wasn't good enough to pass on signing jenkins

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
But what you're talking about happens on every sideline on every NFL team. And Stedman did almost lose his life. Britt is the best receiver on this team by a mile, Britt and Austin mixed with the new guys and a better OC and scheme can do some damage. I follow them both on social media and seeing how hard they work every offseason that's what I like. I don't think Austin is the most intelligent guy but he has been playing football his entire life and has been successful at it at every level. He has good football acumen imho. I just think neither really gets a fair chance shot with the play calling and overall ineptness of the offensive coaching staff
I don't think that happens on every sideline, but that's a minor point. We'll have to see if they'll benefit from a new system and coaching, but I have my reservations. You're either bright enough to make it at this level, or you're not. Sadly, there are too many players to mention who never achieve the success they set out to achieve in the NFL. And it's not always because of coaching. Coaching only goes so far, as we've seen. There have been countless testimonies from players that their lack of success wasn't on coaching, but instead on execution. Will a new coach be able to make them execute in games after they've practiced flawlessly? I mean, who knows? But if you can execute in practice and then can't on game day, there's something amiss with the player.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't think that happens on every sideline, but that's a minor point. We'll have to see if they'll benefit from a new system and coaching, but I have my reservations. You're either bright enough to make it at this level, or you're not. Sadly, there are too many players to mention who never achieve the success they set out to achieve in the NFL. And it's not always because of coaching. Coaching only goes so far, as we've seen. There have been countless testimonies from players that their lack of success wasn't on coaching, but instead on execution. Will a new coach be able to make them execute in games after they've practiced flawlessly? I mean, who knows? But if you can execute in practice and then can't on game day, there's something amiss with the player.

But that's the thing though Britt has over a 1000 yards and we all know Tavon wasn't used right this year or all the touchdowns he has gotten called back. They both produce and excute but coaching are supposed to scheme and draw up game plays to put their playmakers in better position to succeed

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
But that's the thing though Britt has over a 1000 yards and we all know Tavon wasn't used right this year or all the touchdowns he has gotten called back. They both produce and excute but coaching are supposed to scheme and draw up game plays to put their playmakers in better position to succeed
Or maybe Tavon has limitations? I mean, Dante Hall was a phenomenal athlete, and I'm sure there were thousands of fans who thought he wasn't being utilized correctly, or that he could benefit from a different scheme or different utilization. Being fast is great, but route running > speed. Be honest. Do you think he's better than guys like DeSean Jackson or Steve Smith Sr., and the only thing holding him back from achieving their level of success is a coordinator?

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
He was only starting when they went out when Jenkins and tru was playing he was number 3. Yeah he played good when Tru went out but he was still guarding number twos and his rookie year we really didn't go against any of the top passing offenses and when we did like against the gaints he got ate up and when Dez went off when he went to that side Gaines got ate up. He is a good 3 corner but he wasn't good enough to pass on signing jenkins
I agree with not letting Jenkins go, no way Gaines could replace him, but for his rookie season he played his ass off. He made plays every game till he got injured. He also supported the run defense very well. I'm just saying he should be kept. He is great depth.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Every player is fair game to be cut or traded except Donald, Hekker, Goff, Gurley, Ogletree, Brockers.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree with not letting Jenkins go, no way Gaines could replace him, but for his rookie season he played his ass off. He made plays every game till he got injured. He also supported the run defense very well. I'm just saying he should be kept. He is great depth.

I definitely agree he should be kept and who knows this was basically his 2nd year so next year he should be full go

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Or maybe Tavon has limitations? I mean, Dante Hall was a phenomenal athlete, and I'm sure there were thousands of fans who thought he wasn't being utilized correctly, or that he could benefit from a different scheme or different utilization. Being fast is great, but route running > speed. Be honest. Do you think he's better than guys like DeSean Jackson or Steve Smith Sr., and they only thing holding him back from achieving their level of success is a coordinator?

Donte hall couldn't do half of what tavon does. And Tavon runs really good routes. He isn't going to be Steve smith because they are totally different players Steve smith couldn't run as a running back like Tavon like how tavon can't be as physical as Steve smith. And I think he is better than desean Jackson since he left the eagles he really haven't been doing anything

ramfan46

Pro Bowler

Everyone likes to win. I've never met a person who seriously did not enjoy winning at something. The people at the top of what they do share one thing in common IMO, they cannot stand the feeling of losing. This helps that internal drive and work ethic that takes good players to great. Can take JAGs to successful and productive careers. It feels like there is a handful of that on this current team. Need to multiply that exponentially to get back to the promise land.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Donte hall couldn't do half of what tavon does. And Tavon runs really good routes. He isn't going to be Steve smith because they are totally different players Steve smith couldn't run as a running back like Tavon like how tavon can't be as physical as Steve smith. And I think he is better than desean Jackson since he left the eagles he really haven't been doing anything
Well, I guess we'll see.

The point I was making is that Dante Hall was a super fast gadget player just like Tavon, and that neither would be able to become the types of players Steve Smith and DeSean Jackson were (are), no matter how they were utilized or who was designing their plays. Sometimes you just are what you are. Don't get me wrong, I like Tavon's playmaking ability, but I think this team (and the QB) would benefit more from a more traditional receiver with more range and better route running abilities. It's too easy to take away a deep threat in the NFL. Chris Givens is a pretty good example of that.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not going to count impending FAs. The guys I'd cut are:
Rodger Saffold
Lance Kendricks
Tim Barnes
Tre Mason
Eugene Sims

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Britt cost our rookie QB big time. He just doesn't seem like a go to guy in crunch time. And if he is one of your leaders....well remember him crashing his suped up cart. He's an Idiot.
Yeah he seems like the typical fisher guy. But it's more about the overhaul to me. Why pay britt 6 million when he's on the downside and we are rebuilding? May as well get guys like jeffery or Baldwin.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
@Florida_Ram

ahahahahahahahahahaahahah! You're pissed like me...LUV IT!

I don't know what to say? What Tavon are you watching? You know how hard it is to be a wr and average less than 10 yards per catch?
Tavon should be Tyreek Hill from KC, and Taylor Gabriel of Atl...They were drafted were Tavon should have been...and they're better players( WAY BETTER RECEIVERS). Right now...that's a shame. And we extended this type of play. That's asinine. It's the primary reason I believe Demoff & Snead are clueless. Or, they've been sent here to undermine the Rams future....Same with the Goff pick...that Saffold contract...I could go on and on...Hell, after what Quinn's been doing, I'd stop listening to any fool talking contract extensions for all but the elites...and most of those should ONLY BE DEFENSIVE PLAYERS. and we let Jenkins walk?????? Hell, by these examples, we should have kept McLeod too. I didn't dislike McLeod, just figured we could easily replace him...and we did.

Zero

Pro Bowler
It's too easy to take away a deep threat in the NFL. Chris Givens is a pretty good example of that.
With our current situation it is.Tavon has to be
part of the total package like Az used to be.
With the correct parts around him he could be a beast.
Without those compliments he is too easily stopped.

jap

Legend
Admittedly, this is just all my personal perception, but I think Austin, Britt, and Quick lack intensity. I don't doubt that they work hard, but I don't think they're really all that ticked off by failure. They have their money and their fame, and that's good enough. Some of the defense is like that too, IMO, but again -- it's all just perception. I didn't like Britt's personality, or Cook's, or Finnegan's. I don't think Austin or Quick are intelligent enough to have their courses corrected enough to see appreciable gains in their football acumen. So, it's personality to me, but also intelligence. I would really, really, really love to be in the room when they interview these guys just to see how they come across there. Maybe it's entirely a front. Like how most people answer questions for a job interview.

Isaac Bruce was capable of executing 90-degree cuts at full speed, something that only a few rare athletes could do (e.g., Gale Sayers, Barry Sanders). Tavon is capable of the same at a faster speed level. From Tavon's rookie season I was so hoping he would take full advantage of isaac's presence in training camp to work on his route running and take full advantage of his electric speed, quickness, & agility. Sadly, it is obvious that Tavon hasn't made Isaac an extreme priority as he should have. In fact, I believe Tavon's ex-roommate, Stedman Bailey, was a much more diligent student of Isaac & Torry than Tavon ever was.

There have not been much NFL receivers at the level of Isaac's completeness. He is one of the NFL's all-time best route runners. He knows how to sell routes (i.e., make defenders think he is the primary target, thereby drawing extra coverage and leaving easier one-on-one match-ups for his fellow receivers). His hands were superlative---not quite as good as Torry's, but much better than most. And he absolutely loved! to block, with a personal best of 14 pancake blocks in a single game!!!

How the hell could any Ram receiver fail to take advantage of that level of professionalism!?! If I were the head coach, sitting in with Isaac or Torry would be mandatory for every receiver on the staff. Even Marshall could teach our receivers a thing or two about route running.

Last edited:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
With our current situation it is.Tavon has to be
part of the total package like Az used to be.
With the correct parts around him he could be a beast.
Without those compliments he is too easily stopped.
Are you talking about building an offense around Tavon?

Zodi

Hall of Fame
Mark Barron. I don't see him fitting in whatever system the new staff implements, and cutting him will save $7 mil against the cap if I'm reading Spotrac.com correctly.

Mark Barron, Lance Kendricks and Tre Mason alone save us around $12 mil, for a total near $60? mil free? But I may be cap illiterate.