Who to cut from the team

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He had Warner and I wouldn't say either Montana or Young were better passers than him.
Do the 2 or 3 years with Warner outweigh all the others with guys like Tony Banks? What I think he's meaning is put him with a career where you have more seasons with Warner and less with the Banks of the world and the numbers are a different discussion.

tempests

Hall of Fame
Do the 2 or 3 years with Warner outweigh all the others with guys like Tony Banks? What I think he's meaning is put him with a career where you have more seasons with Warner and less with the Banks of the world and the numbers are a different discussion.

Those late 90s teams didn't have much going for them but they didn't have an issue getting the ball into Bruce's hands. He was the first read on so many pass plays.
In 1995 with Chris Miller and Mark Rypien he caught 119 passes for 1781 yards but he never really threatened those numbers again. In 2001 with a much better supporting cast he caught 64 passes for 1106 yards and 6 TDs. Obviously not close.

Main reason is the amount of targets Bruce saw. In 1995 the Rams threw to him 199 times. In 2001 Warner only threw 103 passes in his direction, virtually half.

If you extrapolate those numbers to his 1995 targets then yes, Bruce puts up better numbers but I argue a good QB spreads the ball around and doesn't force feed it to one guy.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Cut Saffold - Sign LG Ron Leary
Cut Kendricks - sign Jack Doyle
Cut Sims - sign Dion Jordan
Cut Tim Barnes & let Demetrious Rhaney walk

Let Britt & Quick walk - sign Alshon Jeffery
Let Cam Thomas walk - sign Abry Jones
Move Greg Robinson from LT to RG - sign Matt Kalil to a short term 'prove it' deal

2017 Draft :

1) N/A
2) C/OG - Ethan Pocic, LSU or Pat Elflein, Oh.St
3) CB - Chidobe Awuzie, Co.
4a) OG - Nico Siragusa, SD.St.
4b) WR - Travin Dural, LSU (comp pick)
5) S - Jonathan Ford, Aub.
6) DE - Tarell Bashem, Oh.
7) FB - Freddie Stevenson, Fl.St.

Great choices. You have arguably 2 of the best run-blocking Interior line guys with Elflein (Center) and Siragusa (Guard). I also like Ford (Safety) to add speed to the secondary. I like Awuzie's size at CB, and I would double down in the sixth or seventh round with Des Lawrence (CB) North Carolina or Jamar Summers (CB) Connecticut. I think we need more bodies and competition at CB than we do DE.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Those late 90s teams didn't have much going for them but they didn't have an issue getting the ball into Bruce's hands. He was the first read on so many pass plays.
In 1995 with Chris Miller and Mark Rypien he caught 119 passes for 1781 yards but he never really threatened those numbers again. In 2001 with a much better supporting cast he caught 64 passes for 1106 yards and 6 TDs. Obviously not close.

Main reason is the amount of targets Bruce saw. In 1995 the Rams threw to him 199 times. In 2001 Warner only threw 103 passes in his direction, virtually half.

If you extrapolate those numbers to his 1995 targets then yes, Bruce puts up better numbers but I argue a good QB spreads the ball around and doesn't force feed it to one guy.
And the argument that I was responding to or rather the comment was very simple. You put Bruce with just Montana/Young at QB and his number are better than what they were. You put Rice with Banks and the other guys pre Warner that Bruce had and you'll see a drop in his numbers.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And the argument that I was responding to or rather the comment was very simple. You put Bruce with just Montana/Young at QB and his number are better than what they were. You put Rice with Banks and the other guys pre Warner that Bruce had and you'll see a drop in his numbers.
That's why I consider Bruce one of the top 5 receivers in the game he didn't play with a very good QB until warner and by that time you had holt and Faulk taking targets from him. That same year Jerry rice league the lead and set that record look at who was number 2 Bruce and better Qb early in his career and Bruce numbers would look a lot like rices

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
First, regarding the O-line, you want to cut Barnes, who has been durable and the only consistent performer, yet you want to keep Jamon Brown and Andrew Donnal who were much worse?

Second, regarding the defense, you want to cut Hayes and Sims who are durable, 2 games missed between them, but keep Quinn @ 10.750 Mil per season (2017) while only playing in 9 games this past season? And his salary will be 2-Mil more than Hayes and Sims combined. I'm not suggesting cutting Quinn, but there doesn't seem to be concern in the difference in production versus Salary Cap ramifications.

Last, I'm not sure why you would list TJ MacDonald and Cody Davis, but not list Maurice Alexander? His instincts at Safety are worse than Davis and he was not good at tackling this past season.

KOWALSKI

Rookie
i would keep donald, quinn, brockers, hekker, joyner and maybe alexander
the rest needs to be traded or cut.
and fire demoff and snead.
complete rebuild, because that's what this team needs.
the whole roster is totally overrated by fans and la media.
a bad hc and a bad gm drafted a bunch of bad players. it's that simple.

Debacled

Starter
I don't see any contracts that are so terrible that they'll need to be sent packing in order to bring other guys in. FA is a crapshoot, and ditching players you are familiar with for the sake of throwing more money at other guys is a terrible policy.

The team has 44m in cap space moving forward for next season. Its not a ton, but its also not a reason to run about cutting guys for the sake of cutting them.

Knee jerk reactions are rife around these parts recently.

tempests

Hall of Fame
And the argument that I was responding to or rather the comment was very simple. You put Bruce with just Montana/Young at QB and his number are better than what they were..

And I've already said they wouldn't be. Bruce saw a lot of targets on a bad Rams team that couldn't run the ball and threw 40 times a game. That was not the 49ers.

There's nothing anywhere that says a WR has to play with HOF QBs to put up his best numbers. Josh Gordon and Deandre Hopkins are just recent examples of that.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
That's where we differ. I don't care what they do in the offseason, or during a bye week, or anything like that. But clowning in the locker room after a loss? Yeah, no thanks. Clowing around on the sidelines during a loss? Again, no thanks. I saw an instagram of the receivers immediately after a loss where they were posing and joking around with Stedman's kid, and off in the distance you can see Donald sitting by himself just stewing in his own juices. All kinds of ticked off. That's the appropriate response in that situation. Not taking selfies and acting as though everything's great.
That sort of attitude and post-game behaviour is one of the reasons I've had to switch off a lot this year - the lack of passion (or the lack of care) after a bad loss. It's almost like the guys aren't giving 100% on game day - it's the "ahh well, still getting my pay check" culture that I absolutely hate - but I'm sure that can be drummed out by a passionate fire and brimstone head coach. I just don't think we've had that recently, we've had / got nice guys at the helm and that doesn't always stoke the fire in the bellies of guys that need that extra push. I'm sure if ALL pay checks were performance and incentive based we'd see those pissed off faces after a loss.

I know that OBjr's post game antics have been ridiculed a lot, but the guy sure hates losing or missing a catch - we need that sort of fire.

I really do think that a new coach / coaches will bring a different mentality to the players.

PA Ram

Pro Bowler
Or maybe Tavon has limitations? I mean, Dante Hall was a phenomenal athlete, and I'm sure there were thousands of fans who thought he wasn't being utilized correctly, or that he could benefit from a different scheme or different utilization. Being fast is great, but route running > speed. Be honest. Do you think he's better than guys like DeSean Jackson or Steve Smith Sr., and the only thing holding him back from achieving their level of success is a coordinator?

I just feel that Tavon is a luxury. He's never going to be a core part of the team. Yes--if you already had a steady offense in place--he'd be a great spark to have. But the Rams need the basic parts first. I would seriously consider trading him for the right price. I don't know what his value is. Maybe to a team like the Falcons it would be high--considering what they already have, but I'd do it for the right price. Yes--he'd be special and exciting for an offense already built. He'd be a nice luxury for THEM. This team needs so much more first. I think he certainly HAS value and a team may bite. And this team could use the pick or picks and or player they got in return at another spot--someone who could contribute on a steady basis.

But hey--I'll let the new coaches decide that. Maybe they see something else entirely--and see a way to use him that results in a lot of points. But I would not be opposed to trading him--if a good deal is there. He is not untouchable in my book and this team has to find a way to fix a large part of the roster.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Reverend Ike will always be my favorite Ram.
The man caught 119 passes from a combo of an overly concussed Chris Miller and a terribly broken down Mark Rypien.
For every debate about whether or not a WR can produce without a legit QB, this should be the mike drop every time

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
First, regarding the O-line, you want to cut Barnes, who has been durable and the only consistent performer, yet you want to keep Jamon Brown and Andrew Donnal who were much worse?

Second, regarding the defense, you want to cut Hayes and Sims who are durable, 2 games missed between them, but keep Quinn @ 10.750 Mil per season (2017) while only playing in 9 games this past season? And his salary will be 2-Mil more than Hayes and Sims combined. I'm not suggesting cutting Quinn, but there doesn't seem to be concern in the difference in production versus Salary Cap ramifications.

Last, I'm not sure why you would list TJ MacDonald and Cody Davis, but not list Maurice Alexander? His instincts at Safety are worse than Davis and he was not good at tackling this past season.

Are you questioning my personnel groupings for future asap upgrades?

First, regarding the O-line... Barnes was the starting center and I would overpay for a free agent upgrade at center if there is one to be had. Meaning Barnes contract might be better removed from the books. Brown and Donnal are not centers and they're only 2nd year players that I will agree with you, were much worse at their respective positions for what ever various reasons. If the Rams couldn't get a true upgrade at center in F/A for Barnes of course he would need to be retained.

Second, Hayes and Sims are both south of 30 and not starting edge rushers in the NFL. Durability or not their contracts being removed from the books opens up a possibility for a DE free agent upgrade. Essentially getting one B+ player and losing two C+ players. If there isn't a better upgrade option, then you need keep one or both of them by default.

Third, TJ McD and Cody Davis are both UFA's (unrestricted) and free to go anywhere they want. One or both most likely will take the money and run to greener pastures or to teams that have a quicker road to the playoffs, which in return wouldn't bother me one bit to see either one of them leave. TJ's not transcendent SS and Davis is a Journeyman special teams reserve FS. I agree with you that Mo Alexander's extincts and cover skills are lacking for a starting strong SS but he's not a UFA and he did gain another year of solid experience.

Last, if you read my response to Mojo I explained why my list was also so long..

My list wasn't realistic though because obviously you could never gut a team by cutting 25 players from the previous year and logically find better players in one calendar year off-season.

My list was more of a reference sheet of the players I hope the new HC/GM regime can replace with upgrades sooner than later. Some of them might actually turn out to be better players next season and remain on the roster for another 2 or 3 years.

GO LA Rams!

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Brandon cook is just as small their hands are about the same catch radius about the same but what's the difference scheme and QB play and Tavon is more talented than Cooks.
I question if Tavon is actually a better receiver than Cooks...

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
There is a chance the new regime would seriously consider retaining Greg Williams as DC, which would make retaining Mark a priority for the defense.
I agree with you here jap...its real hard for me to understand why a LB'er who has been a starter for the Rams for 1 3/4 of two seasons of our last yrs as a starter . Has remained healthy for all 32 games! Has 234 tackles, 13 PDEF, 2 sacks, 2 INT's & 3 forced fumbles as a candidate Player to be cut???:shocking:

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Non-re-signed:
- Keenum
- Quick
- Reynolds
- McDonald (Barron takes his SS position with no Williams defense)
- Britt (don't trust that this year was anything but a contract season aberration)

Cuts:
- Saffold
- Hayes
- Sims
- Kendricks
- Donnal
- Quinn (big money, major injury woes, production much worse in recent years when on field)
- Barnes (draft a center, keep Rhaney as the backup interior swingman)

Imperative to re-sign:
- Cunningham
- Johnson

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
I would definitely cut these 3:
- Saffold
- Kendricks
- Sims

All are big money types that give us significant cap savings and frankly don't cut it in the production department.

Others like Barnes, Donnal, and Hayes will depend on the philosophy of the new regime. They could also wait until camp to make sure the replacements are better before cutting these guys.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Br00TCn.gif

He's not that bad. Could you upgrade him, sure. But you need to know for sure there is a clear upgrade. We all thought Jason Brown was an up and coming sure fire star center. We all thought Barrett Jones was the next 10 year starter.