Who to cut from the team

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Montanaramfan

Rookie
I'll start:

Quick: Too many drops. This is the NFL.
Saffold: Negative locker room attitude and lack of skills deem him expendable.
Robinson: Too many penalties, poor technique. Unless they can somehow turn him into a guard...
Donnal: Tried to catch him touching someone on a block yesterday but failed after several attempts of watching.
Kendricks: Missed several key blocks yesterday leading to Goff getting plastered. Keep drops throughout the year. Jared Cook in disguise.

Who to name captain:
Hekker

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
Cut Saffold, Robinson, Donnal, Brown, Gaines, Kendricks, and Barnes

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
Brian Quick is a UFA. No need to cut him. Just don't bring him back.

Saffold needs to be cut unless he is willing to take a large pay decrease. I'd only want him around as depth at this point, given his ability to play several positions on the line.

I'm not sure I'd cut anyone other than Saffold, to be honest. It will be hard to turn over the roster in just 1 off-season, especially without a 1st rounder. Most other players I'm taking a "wait and see" approach to see how they look under a new coach and system. Saffold is the exception due to his productivity vs salary.

Can't believe people are suggesting we cut guys like Brown and Gaines. Way too early to give up on those guys. They've both flashed, are still super cheap (under 1M currently!), and have had some injuries hamper them. Again, we don't lose much by waiting to see how they look under a new regime. This one was toxic. In Gaines case, despite his under whelming play, who does that even leave at CB?!

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
cutting Robinson would result in a huge amount of dead money, right? I'd rather try him at guard. Also, quick was on a one year deal. I'd cut:
Saffold
Barnes
Kendricks

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
Agreed with Kendricks. Should have included him in my last post. His blocking was awful this year. He also had too many drops. I still like him as a #2 TE. But he makes to much money to keep him in that role. Cut him and let Higbee take his reps.

I'd keep Barnes until we find someone else to play C. He was playing hurt all year and that showed. I definitely want to see the Rams upgrade on Barnes. But until that happens, I think we're stuck with him.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
Isn't next year the last of Robinson's rookie contract ??? If so, I'd try a move to guard and if that doesn't show promise, not pick up the 5th year...Isn't that the way it is with the new system, the 5th year is a team option ??? Help me here, I have some real blank spots sometimes...

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
cutting Robinson would result in a huge amount of dead money, right? I'd rather try him at guard. Also, quick was on a one year deal. I'd cut:
Saffold
Barnes
Kendricks
Yeah Robinson isn't a realistic cut unless the new coach comes in and sees in camp he's just so bad he's not worth a roster spot. When making cuts refer to this page. Look at the dead cap space column to the right and take that in to consideration on who will be cut.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/los-angeles-rams/cap/2017/

Taking cap hits into consideration I'll throw these names out there as straight away cuts before the draft and free agency kick in.

Tim Barnes: Yes I'm ready for your downvote/disapprove. He's an obvious spot that 99.9% of us realize we need to upgrade and has $0 cap hit saves us $3 million.

Lance Kendricks: Again no cap hit and the reasons are obvious. We saw a little bit of Goff working with Higbee towards the end of the year. And Lance had a down year on what was one of his best things and that's blocking. Saves us $4.25 million.

Roger Saffold: Again lack of production coupled with injury history and the fact that if anything this draft is good for interior linemen (from what I hear and read). Also cutting him will incur a $2 million cap hit but save us $4.222 million.

Tre Mason: Wasn't a part of this team in 2016 at all and cutting him saves the team $700k.

That's it for my cuts but in addition to this list I'm trying to trade Robert Quinn for whatever draft picks or OLine help I can get for him.

RamsFlash80

Pro Bowler
I wouldnt cut any of the recently drafted O-lineman (including Robinson). Lets see if these guys can be fixed with better coaching first.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah Robinson isn't a realistic cut unless the new coach comes in and sees in camp he's just so bad he's not worth a roster spot. When making cuts refer to this page. Look at the dead cap space column to the right and take that in to consideration on who will be cut.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/los-angeles-rams/cap/2017/

Taking cap hits into consideration I'll throw these names out there as straight away cuts before the draft and free agency kick in.

Tim Barnes: Yes I'm ready for your downvote/disapprove. He's an obvious spot that 99.9% of us realize we need to upgrade and has $0 cap hit saves us $3 million.

Lance Kendricks: Again no cap hit and the reasons are obvious. We saw a little bit of Goff working with Higbee towards the end of the year. And Lance had a down year on what was one of his best things and that's blocking. Saves us $4.25 million.

Roger Saffold: Again lack of production coupled with injury history and the fact that if anything this draft is good for interior linemen (from what I hear and read). Also cutting him will incur a $2 million cap hit but save us $4.222 million.

Tre Mason: Wasn't a part of this team in 2016 at all and cutting him saves the team $700k.

That's it for my cuts but in addition to this list I'm trying to trade Robert Quinn for whatever draft picks or OLine help I can get for him.
I agree with all of these

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I think he'll depend on two things. If we're able to add a different vet WR and his cost compared to what the new HC/OC value him at.
And a third thing. How Britt adjusts to the impending culture shock of the new HC. If we reel in a strict disciplinarian, he might not like the culture. I follow all the players on different social media platforms, and I'm not at all enthused with the level of "whatever" some of these guys display after (and during) a loss. If that 'behavior' (for lack of a better word) isn't tolerated going forward, that would be a bonus.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Too soon...

Lets see what the new coaches think...

And again, Saffold isn't on my list just yet....That sounds like cutting Kush & Reynolds in the beginning of the season.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Cut Saffold, Robinson, Donnal, Brown, Gaines, Kendricks, and Barnes
I'm with you on everyone except Gains! He has had some ups and downs, but I like him! No one on this Team is perfect, except for maybe Hekker and Donald!!(y);):D

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And a third thing. How Britt adjusts to the impending culture shock of the new HC. If we reel in a strict disciplinarian, he might not like the culture. I follow all the players on different social media platforms, and I'm not at all enthused with the level of "whatever" some of these guys display after (and during) a loss. If that 'behavior' (for lack of a better word) isn't tolerated going forward, that would be a bonus.
True and I kind of agree with Jrry in that Britt very well not be able to coexist with a HC not named Fisher.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
True and I kind of agree with Jrry in that Britt very well not be able to coexist with a HC not named Fisher.
I lean that way too, but that remains to be seen.
As you said, though, his impending contract will likely be the bigger hurdle.
Can't give Tavon that kind of coin and offer less to receivers who produce more.