Who do you want as our next coach?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FRO

Legend
I appreciate you adding this to your post Jrry. Good way to put it.

I realize Mike Shanahan is getting up there in age. And I will add that I haven't read this entire thread so maybe it has been asked and answered but - Anyone have thoughts on him?
Would rather give his kid a shot. I wouldn't be upset with Mike though. Think his system best suits Goff and Gurley.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Would rather give his kid a shot. I wouldn't be upset with Mike though. Think his system best suits Goff and Gurley.
Yeah. I get that. Not sure the kid is quite ready for the head role but I get it. My thought with Mike is exactly what you said. I think he would work really well with Goff and especially Gurley. It seems that the one thing you could count on with MS is that virtually any RB had a guaranteed 1000 yard season. Seems to me that Gurley would be a monster in that system.

FRO

Legend
Yeah. I get that. Not sure the kid is quite ready for the head role but I get it. My thought with Mike is exactly what you said. I think he would work really well with Goff and especially Gurley. It seems that the one thing you could count on with MS is that virtually any RB had a guaranteed 1000 yard season. Seems to me that Gurley would be a monster in that system.
Yeah Gurley would be special in that offense. I just see what Kyle got out of Matt Schaub and Matt Ryan and think he would get the same results out of Goff while running the scheme where Gurley is deadly. If he can get someone who can keep the defense where it's at, then you have a recipe for success.

I would much rather have Shanahan than Gruden or Cohwer. I don't think he'd be. Bad fit at all. I am just more inclined to give the younger guy the shot.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah Gurley would be special in that offense. I just see what Kyle got out of Matt Schaub and Matt Ryan and think he would get the same results out of Goff while running the scheme where Gurley is deadly. If he can get someone who can keep the defense where it's at, then you have a recipe for success.

I would much rather have Shanahan than Gruden or Cohwer. I don't think he'd be. Bad fit at all. I am just more inclined to give the younger guy the shot.
Rams were running ZBS last year and had some success with it. I honestly cant tell what they're running this year because the interior seemingly gets blown up on every run play.
I'd be totally on board with a an offense that features ZBS and the Shanahan's have been great at it

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I appreciate you adding this to your post Jrry. Good way to put it.

I realize Mike Shanahan is getting up there in age. And I will add that I haven't read this entire thread so maybe it has been asked and answered but - Anyone have thoughts on him?

I'd have trouble hiring him after Washington. I recognize that Snyder was as much the problem as him. But when you end up in a war with the owner and a split locker-room, it's hard to come back from that. Shanahan is a brilliant offensive mind, but if I were going that direction, I'd be more likely to go after the son and hope Papa joins him as a consultant. Unless Papa Shanahan could promise Lil Shanahan as a coach-in-waiting.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I wonder if he would sign on as OC if Kyle got a HC gig
I like Shanahan and think he can still be a great coach, but I think his HC days might be behind him
Maybe so. He's 6 years younger than Coughlin so I'm not sure about that. But give me him over Norv Craterface Turner any day and twice on Sundays. I'm not big on coaches coming out of college directly into the NFL HC role either so that narrows my list. Fox is a downward or MAYBE latter al move from Fish as far as I'm concerned. Martz had some miraculous times with the Rams but not much else and he is an awful personnel and clock management guy (and BTW - older than Shanny). Son of Chucky is probably having too much fun right now to get back into coaching but I'd be interested if nothing else just to see that mug on our sidelines - oh the theater!

To me, Shanny makes sense. But again, I really haven't delved into the nuts and bolts all that much.

@jrry32 I get what you are saying about Shanny's WA stint but I'm not sure any player holds being Snydered against any coach. We know Stan is not that kind of owner (at least we think we know) so I don't see Mike having that issue. In fact, I think it may be one of the cleanest transitions available. Respected coach. Superbowl winner. And coaches under him have done well as they moved on.

Not sure if Shanny Jr would join him as that would just be a lateral step and he'd have that whole working for daddy thing again but that would be a bonus if he did.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
@jrry32 I get what you are saying about Shanny's WA stint but I'm not sure any player holds being Snydered against any coach. We know Stan is not that kind of owner (at least we think we know) so I don't see Mike having that issue. In fact, I think it may be one of the cleanest transitions available. Respected coach. Superbowl winner. And coaches under him have done well as they moved on.

Not sure if Shanny Jr would join him as that would just be a lateral step and he'd have that whole working for daddy thing again but that would be a bonus if he did.

My concern with Shanny is that he went 48-64 in the 7 seasons he coached in the past decade (2006 to 2015) with only 1 playoff appearance and 2 winning seasons. I don't want another guy who ends up being like Fisher (past his prime).

My other concern is something you stated. His coaches under him have done well as they moved on. That's incredible. At the same time, it's also somewhat disconcerting. His son is about to get a head coaching job. Gary Kubiak currently has a head coaching job. The problem with that is that it will spread the assistants on the Shanahan coaching tree thin.

Does Shanahan have the ability to create a great staff when Kubiak and his son also are taking coaches out of the same pool?

One final issue is that Mike's taste in defensive coordinators has been poor. Jim Haslett was a terrible choice in Washington. He made some poor choices in Denver too. He'd need to have a damn good plan for a defensive coordinator for me to offer him the job here.

I'm not opposed to Mike. But I think there are better options. They're more riskier options, though.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I'm not opposed to Mike. But I think there are better options. They're more riskier options, though.

Go with Kyle Shanahan as Head Coach and his old man as Assistant Head Coach.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Go with Kyle Shanahan as Head Coach and his old man as Assistant Head Coach.

I'm not so sure about that one too. If Kyle becomes head coach, based on what I hear, he needs to hire assistant coaches who are skilled at dealing with the players. Because I've heard unflattering things about Kyle's relationship with players.

But I don't question his intelligence or Xs and Os knowledge.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Because I've heard unflattering things about Kyle's relationship with players.

But I don't question his intelligence or Xs and Os knowledge.

Funny same issue that a young Josh McDaniels had as well, however, I have read much of that has changed, but who truly knows?

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
If I have to hand pick right now, my first interview is Matt Patricia. My second is probably Jim Bob Cooter.

However there is this other brewing question that could come to fruition - no matter how much we all do not want to see this happen. Fish getting the hire a real OC and stay out of the way ultimatum.

If Fish were given that ultimatum; who are the top candidates for that position (other than Norv)? We can't outright hire an OC from another team - take for instance Jim Bob, a coach has to be promoted as far as I understand and they cannot just keep the same job position title. Are there any hot minded offensive assistants available?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If I have to hand pick right now, my first interview is Matt Patricia. My second is probably Jim Bob Cooter.

However there is this other brewing question that could come to fruition - no matter how much we all do not want to see this happen. Fish getting the hire a real OC and stay out of the way ultimatum.

If Fish were given that ultimatum; who are the top candidates for that position (other than Norv)? We can't outright hire an OC from another team - take for instance Jim Bob, a coach has to be promoted as far as I understand and they cannot just keep the same job position title. Are there any hot minded offensive assistants available?

If that happens (and it absolutely shouldn't), we'll have to see what head coaches are fired. For example, if San Diego goes down, Mike McCoy and Whisenhunt come available.

The guy I wanted to be our OC last year who Philadelphia signed at their QB Coach, John DeFilippo, is still a guy I'd like.

But again, if that happens (and it absolutely shouldn't), we need to send some of our offensive assistants packing. Boudreau, unfortunately, needs to go. I'd also fire the HB Coach. And Weinke has a lot to prove if he wants to keep his job.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
If that happens (and it absolutely shouldn't), we'll have to see what head coaches are fired. For example, if San Diego goes down, Mike McCoy and Whisenhunt come available.

The guy I wanted to be our OC last year who Philadelphia signed at their QB Coach, John DeFilippo, is still a guy I'd like.

But again, if that happens (and it absolutely shouldn't), we need to send some of our offensive assistants packing. Boudreau, unfortunately, needs to go. I'd also fire the HB Coach. And Weinke has a lot to prove if he wants to keep his job.

Boudreau certainly should be out as well as the running backs coach - who is new this year if I remember correctly.

I'm not ready to let go of Benny but boy have we gone through starters with him as the back up. Zac, Darryl, Tre, . . .

I don't want to see Fish get away with hiring Groh as his OC. We need someone that is going to come in and really LEAD this offense.

I remember you mentioning DeFilippo last year. I don't remember/know anything about him.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

I love Matt Patricia played football at RPI here in Upstate, NY and graduated with a degree in Aeronautical Engineering, so yes, he's a Rocket Scientist. As to Jim Bob Cooter I could not support him on name alone, sorry!

Jim Bob Cooter indicating, he's number one!
0201-prim-ben-jones-cooter-dukes-of-hazzard-now-launch2-1200x630.jpg

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Boudreau certainly should be out as well as the running backs coach - who is new this year if I remember correctly.

I'm not ready to let go of Benny but boy have we gone through starters with him as the back up. Zac, Darryl, Tre, . . .

I don't want to see Fish get away with hiring Groh as his OC. We need someone that is going to come in and really LEAD this offense.

I remember you mentioning DeFilippo last year. I don't remember/know anything about him.

He was the Browns OC in 2015. He managed to make Manziel look pretty decent and McCown look like a solid NFL starting QB. Browns fans were big fans of his. And that's saying something. Most fan-bases hate their OC, especially fans of bad teams.