Who do you want as our next coach?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
I agree with your post except for the Fisher not caring part. He cares IMO, but just doesn't do anything else you posted. Which is just kinda sad. He's got the heart, but not the mind.

If he cares, he doesn't show it

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
I like the Fassel idea oddly enough. I remember when Dave Toub was being tossed around back in the day when he was the Bears ST coordinator, and of course Harbaugh (the less evil one) was a ST guy before he was a HC.

Odd how the once hot Panther coordinators have dropped off the radar.

I like the idea of a guy like Kyle Shanahan. Gets by on more than just the family name unlike Schotty. The thing that impresses me about Shanahan and his old man is how they were always able to consistently make the running game work.

Outside shot, but Teryl Austin from Detroit was a hot name awhile ago, but cooled off. Might be on the rise again though with the recent success of the Lions. Had success with Baltimore as well.

Not a lot of real dark horses out there.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
If this happens, I may quit as a Rams fan.
McDaniels as HC??????? WTF??!

I'm starting to believe the Gruden rumor has some legs, but be prepared, if the Rams make a change, they will hire an offensive coach and Josh McDaniels will be on everyone's list for better or worse.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Josh McDaniels will be on everyone's list for better or worse.

I'm having a hard time with this whole topic.

For all we know, Fisher may have an extension already. We still have 6 games to play. He may not be going anywhere.

I personally still believe Fisher can lead this team with the right OC. But, I am not sure I trust him to delegate installing a new offense... which is DESPERATELY needed. The current philosophy hasn't worked for 5yrs and is insanely boring to watch... results are king and this is an entertainment product at the end of the day. Something has to change.

All that said... I think McDaniels is ripe for a 2nd chance as HC. There is some risk there, but there is NOT a better tactician than Bellicick to learn from. I'd support a flyer on a young and creative guy like that.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I personally still believe Fisher can lead this team with the right OC.

Norv Turner is taking a break from the NFL but intends to return

Sam FarmerContact Reporter

For the last 40 years, Norv Turner has been a quarterbacks coach, offensive coordinator, head coach, even a defensive backs coach. Now, he’s adjusting to his most unfamiliar role: Spectator.

Turner abruptly resigned in November as offensive coordinator of theMinnesota Vikings after the team followed a surprising 5-0 start with consecutive losses. He has yet to elaborate on why he walked away, and insists he harbors no ill will toward Coach Mike Zimmer or his staff — a good thing considering Turner’s son, Scott, remains the team’s quarterbacks coach.

“Mike and I just had different ideas about what we needed to do and how we needed to do it,” said Turner, 64, reached at his home in Del Mar. “It wasn’t going to work, so I removed myself from it.”

That has left him in the strange position of watching football at home, working on his golf swing, and putting on hold the only career he has ever known.

“I got fired with three games to go in Washington [at the end of the 2000 season], and that was weird,” he said. “But this is totally different. I’ve talked to some of my friends who have retired, and they say, ‘Retirement’s not that bad. You should make sure you give it a real good look.’ But no.”

Turner declined to play the “what-if” game or talk about any potential coaching openings, only saying he intends to return to the league. It’s tempting to play connect-the-dots and say that the offensively lacklusterRams might eventually look his way, especially in trying to develop No. 1 pick Jared Goff, but Coach Jeff Fisher has made it clear he’s not changing offensive coordinators the way he did a year ago. The Rams were one of Turner’s many coaching stops, as he oversaw their wide receivers from 1985 to 1990.

It’s worth noting that the only team that has generated fewer yards than the Rams this season is Minnesota, although the Vikings have been ravaged by injuries, losing quarterback Teddy Bridgewater, running back Adrian Peterson and both starting tackles.

Regardless, Turner has a reputation as a quarterbacks expert, helping develop such players as Troy Aikman, Philip Rivers, Brad Johnson andAlex Smith. Turner was 114-122-1 in 15 seasons as a coach, but is widely considered a top-shelf offensive coordinator.

“Norv was patient with me,” said Johnson, who played for Turner in Washington and threw for a career-best 4,005 yards in 1999. “He was patient when I couldn’t call a play in the huddle. He was patient when I got there and had to have knee surgery, and he told me to just come watch practice.

“He just had a feel for the timing of the plays, and the quarterback’s clock. He just made me a lot more decisive in the pocket.”

Instead of rigidly adhering to his offensive system and making a quarterback conform to that, Turner tailors his system to the strength of that particular quarterback, whether it was Doug Flutie in San Diego, Jay Fiedler in Miami, Brian Hoyer in Cleveland or Bridgewater in Minnesota.

“His mind is unreal as far as scheming things, but yet he had a very common-sense approach to certain things,” Rivers said of Turner. “Very early on it made me comfortable. He taught you how to read things and all that, but he wanted you to throw something if you saw it. Play by feel. We kind of hit it off from the start.”

Rivers, who played for Turner in San Diego from 2007 to 2012, called Turner “my favorite coach of all time, other than my dad. What we built over those years was a friendship forever.”

Johnson, for one, hopes Turner isn’t an NFL spectator for long.

“Coaching is in his blood, so I hope he gets back into it,” he said. “He’s so well respected by everybody. I don’t know where he’ll wind up, but he needs to be back in the game.”

http://www.latimes.com/sports/nfl/la-sp-norv-turner-farmer-20161126-story.html

Zodi

Hall of Fame
I just hope the next HC and/or OC can utilize the weapon we have in Tavon Austin. Member that game his rookie year against Indy? I member.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
It would be pretty horrifying.

Somebody is going to hire him and I guarantee you McDaniels will be at the top of every pundits list and they will make the comparison of Belichick in Cleveland and McDaniels in Denver.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Somebody is going to hire him and I guarantee you McDaniels will be at the top of every pundits list and they will make the comparison of Belichick in Cleveland and McDaniels in Denver.
I find it a bit annoying when people refer to Belechick when it comes to coaches getting a second chance. First off, Belechick reached the playoffs and secondly if the franchise didn't move to Baltimore, he might still be coaching the Browns. His record in Cleveland 45% wp is still bette than Fisher for the Rams and light years ahead of guys like McD 39% no playotfs

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Let somebody else hire him.

RamsFlash80

Pro Bowler
Im intrigued by Kyle Shanahan. Deep family coaching roots and has made Matt Ryan into a MVP looking QB. Goff has some similarities to Ryan. Im kind of backing off Shaw. Hes kind of conservative and that reminds me of Fisher. I want the exact opposite of Fisher lol. I also wouldnt mind Jim Bob Cooter. I think we need a offensive mind for our franchise QB.

FRO

Legend
1- Marvin Lewis (if fired)
2- David Shaw (if he'll leave Stanford)
3- Kyle Shanahan

That's the list. Think Shanahan is a great fit for the offense. Think Lewis and Shaw are great HCs.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
I just hope the next HC and/or OC can utilize the weapon we have in Tavon Austin. Member that game his rookie year against Indy? I member.

This x1000! Find me someone who can scheme match ups for Austin, Gurley and Britt. Why can this team never take advantage of a supposed weakness of a opponent? That's bad coaching to me.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I find it a bit annoying when people refer to Belechick when it comes to coaches getting a second chance.

Well, agree to some degree, however, his record in Cleveland after 5 years was an overall 36-44 now granted some feel in 1995 the 5-11 was somewhat unfair because of the possible move, but other Coaches have done well with second chances and even third chances....Gary Kubiak, Pete Carroll, Jack Del Rio, Tom Coughlin & Mike Shanahan for example and others not too recent like Marv Levy.

Now I understand your debate that Belichick had unforeseen circumstances that led to his dismissal in Cleveland, however, there once could make the debate that if McDaniels might have learned from his Denver experience although I do feel that short Head Coaches suffer from a Napoleon Complex.

Josh McDaniels, offensive coordinator, New England Patriots: The team's 3-1 stretch withoutTom Brady answered any lingering questions potentially had by hiring clubs. McDaniels has been a top-five candidate each of the last three years, but, according to multiple people who have spoken with him, he's intent on waiting out the right opportunity. McDaniels isn't shy about stating his love for New England and his comfort level in remaining there. Make no mistake, though: Teams are asking around and are well aware that the 40-year-old is a changed man from the 33-year-old firecracker who started hot with the Denver Broncos before burning the candle at both ends.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...coach-candidates-josh-mcdaniels-tops-the-list

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, agree to some degree, however, his record in Cleveland after 5 years was an overall 36-44 now granted some feel in 1995 the 5-11 was somewhat unfair because of the possible move, but other Coaches have done well with second chances and even third chances....Gary Kubiak, Pete Carroll, Jack Del Rio, Tom Coughlin & Mike Shanahan for example and others not too recent like Marv Levy.

Now I understand your debate that Belichick had unforeseen circumstances that led to his dismissal in Cleveland, however, there once could make the debate that if McDaniels might have learned from his Denver experience although I do feel that short Head Coaches suffer from a Napoleon Complex.

Josh McDaniels, offensive coordinator, New England Patriots: The team's 3-1 stretch withoutTom Brady answered any lingering questions potentially had by hiring clubs. McDaniels has been a top-five candidate each of the last three years, but, according to multiple people who have spoken with him, he's intent on waiting out the right opportunity. McDaniels isn't shy about stating his love for New England and his comfort level in remaining there. Make no mistake, though: Teams are asking around and are well aware that the 40-year-old is a changed man from the 33-year-old firecracker who started hot with the Denver Broncos before burning the candle at both ends.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...coach-candidates-josh-mcdaniels-tops-the-list

All of those guys were at least moderately successful with their first chance. McDaniels flamed out quickly.

I'm not saying that McDaniels is a guaranteed failure. But I am saying that I don't want him here. Because I don't believe in him.

And I have to disagree that any stretch in New England answers questions that teams have. He's still working under Belichick in his element. This isn't the first time NE did well with McDaniels at OC and a backup QB starting. They went 11-5 in 2008 with McDaniels at OC and Cassel at QB. That got McDaniels hired by Denver. Didn't stop him from blowing things up there.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
im going to look at it another way as opposed to names give me someone who had the following and ill be good

offensive minded
someone who can develop JG
someone who will keep the 4-3
someone who can gameplan for an individual opponent ....(we seem to have the same gameplan regardless of who we play)
someone who can get the most of our limited offense while leaving the D to do their Thing

and that would pretty do me a treat

Rynie

Cowboys rudeboy.
Name
Rynie
Why do some of you want retread coaches. Get a coordinator. Patricia, the DC from NE, is super smart. I think he could be a good HC, especially if he brings a good OC with him. That's who I'd be interested in.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I want to state at the outset: This is not a thread to rip Fisher in. We have enough of those already. Let's just focus on who we want moving forward. I know that we may not fire Fisher, but this is a forum. Half of the fun is speculating and playing armchair GM.
I appreciate you adding this to your post Jrry. Good way to put it.

I realize Mike Shanahan is getting up there in age. And I will add that I haven't read this entire thread so maybe it has been asked and answered but - Anyone have thoughts on him?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I appreciate you adding this to your post Jrry. Good way to put it.

I realize Mike Shanahan is getting up there in age. And I will add that I haven't read this entire thread so maybe it has been asked and answered but - Anyone have thoughts on him?
I wonder if he would sign on as OC if Kyle got a HC gig
I like Shanahan and think he can still be a great coach, but I think his HC days might be behind him