Who do you want as our next coach?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It seems that the general consensus here is that we should move on from Jeff Fisher. I don't know what the Rams will do. Some will say that this thread is premature. You're entitled to that opinion. But this is a message board, so we might as well speculate. Here are the coaches that I'd consider leading candidates for the job along with my thoughts (in no order):
1. Anthony Lynn OC Buffalo Bills
Pros
  • Former NFL player who is reportedly incredibly respected by players in the locker-room
  • Diverse coaching tree (coached under Parcells, Del Rio, Ryan, Shanahan, and Crennel)
  • Highly successful position coach and successful thus far as an OC
Cons
  • No HC experience and very little OC experience
  • No clue what sort of staff he'd pull
My Outlook
  • I think he's a strong candidate for us because he's offensive-minded and should connect well with players. I have concerns about his lack of experience and ability to pull a top tier staff. However, he does have connections with a ton of different coaching trees, and he's done well it at every step of the way thus far as a coach.
2. Jim Bob Cooter OC Detroit Lions
Pros
  • Offensive-minded coach whose system looks amazing in Detroit
  • Experience as a player and a coach is with Quarterbacks (good for Goff)
  • Modern offensive scheme
Cons
  • Very young (32 years old)
  • No HC experience and very little OC experience
  • No clue what sort of staff he'd pull as he doesn't have a diverse coaching tree and is very young
My Outlook
  • Cooter has really taken the NFL by storm by helping Detroit to first place in the NFC North. He has Stafford playing at the highest level of his career, and his system looks highly effective. Cooter is a much easier sell here if he stuck with Gregg Williams, the defensive staff, and John Fassel (as well as his staff). That would alleviate my concerns about his ability to put together a staff.
3. Matt Patricia DC New England Patriots
Pros
  • Experience coaching both sides of the ball
  • Considered to be absolutely brilliant and has been successful as a coordinator
  • Seems highly energetic, well-liked by his players, and very enthusiastic about his job
Cons
  • No HC experience
  • Belichick's assistants have not fared well outside of New England
  • What sort of staff will he put together? (limited coaching tree)
My Outlook
  • Patricia is an interesting one. Hiring a Belichick assistant scares me, but Patricia is reportedly exceptionally brilliant. What makes him a rarity to me is that exceptionally brilliant coaches generally seem to be the types who don't connect well with players. From my observations, Patricia is very well-liked by the guys who play for him. He reminds me a lot of Mike Zimmer in the energy and passion he brings to games.
4. Todd Haley OC Pittsburgh Steelers
Pros
  • Has some success as a head coach and a lot of success as an OC
  • Runs a modern scheme that perfectly fits Goff's game
  • Comes from a very diverse coaching tree (should be able to put a good staff together)
Cons
  • Failed as a HC the first time; reportedly had issues with the players in the locker-room
  • Walked into a stable situation in Pittsburgh with a ton of offensive talent
  • He didn't play football in college or the pros
My Outlook
  • I like the scheme that Haley brings, and there's no doubt that he's a very bright offensive mind. I do have concerns about his ability to handle the locker-room. It was a struggle for him in Kansas City. He did have a playoff year in KC, but he also got fired. I'm on the fence with him. The most important thing for me with our next coaching hire is that the guys in the locker-room will play for and respect that coach.
5. Kyle Shanahan OC Atlanta Falcons
Pros
  • Long track record of success in a lot of different situations
  • Modern offense that would work well with the pieces we have
  • Should have the sufficient connections to create a great staff
Cons
  • A lot of rumors floating around that players don't like him
  • No HC experience
  • Young (36 years old)
My Outlook
  • If it were strictly Xs and Os, Shanahan would be #1 on my list because I think his scheme perfectly fits our offense. He's a brilliant coordinator. However, I'd avoid hiring him if the rumors are true. The rumors are that he's very arrogant and rubs players the wrong way. This led to players in Washington not liking him and players in Atlanta currently do not like him. I wouldn't want to take a chance on a coach who is not liked by players.
6. David Shaw HC Stanford University
Pros
  • He has 6 years of head coaching experience despite being only 44 years old
  • Successful head coach (62-17 record at Stanford)
  • Offensive-minded head coach who has shown the ability to adapt to his talent
  • Has experience in the NFL working under Jon Gruden and Brian Billick
  • Played in college for Bill Walsh and Dennis Green
  • Father coached in the NFL for over a decade
Cons
  • Has a lot of good reasons to remain at Stanford
  • Is a conservative game manager
  • Hasn't been able to win a national championship at the college level
My Outlook
  • Personally, I think David Shaw is our best option. However, I don't know that he wants to leave Stanford. What makes Shaw a strong option is that he runs a pro style offense that he adapts to his personnel, he has experience working in the NFL, he has a lot of connections in the NFL, and he's a successful head coach already at a young age. He does have a streak of Fisherness in him (tends to be very conservative with the lead), but his offensive philosophy isn't antiquated. I think he'd work well with the personnel we have.
7. Mike McCarthy HC Green Bay Packers
Pros
  • Offensive-minded HC with a Super Bowl ring
  • Known as one of the best QB developers in football
  • Modern offensive system
  • Can put together a strong staff
  • Not old for a coach who has 11 years experience and 100+ wins as a HC (53 years old)
Cons
  • Is being stubborn with his offensive system in Green Bay
  • Things seem to have gotten stale in Green Bay
  • Is a conservative game manager
  • Unlikely to be fired
My Outlook
  • Truth is that it's hard to argue with Mike McCarthy's track record. If he came available, I'd go all in on him. Unfortunately, I think he's highly unlikely to be fired despite what some rumors say.
You might notice that I didn't include a few names. I didn't include Josh McDaniels because I wouldn't consider him for the job. I think you have many of the same issues that you have with Kyle Shanahan (arrogance and disliked by players) without the track record of success in many different situations.(McDaniels has universally failed outside of NE)

I didn't include Jim Schwartz because he feels like much of the same with Fisher. Schwartz is a brilliant DC, but he was too similar of a HC to his mentor, Jeff Fisher. I think we need fresh blood who has a fresh offensive approach.

I didn't include a number of coaches who are retreads in my minds because they already got shots as HC and failed. Some of them failed multiple times. These coaches include Norv Turner, Wade Phillips, Rod Marinelli, John Fox, etc.

I also didn't include coaches who are either too old (ex. Tom Coughlin) or are retired (ex. Jon Gruden). Frankly, I'm just not interesting in trying to relive the past with guys like Bill Cowher, Jon Gruden, etc.

What do you guys think? Is there anyone I missed? Who would you like to see hired?(you don't have to agree with me...maybe you want Norv Turner or Jon Gruden; everybody's opinion is welcome)

I want to state at the outset: This is not a thread to rip Fisher in. We have enough of those already. Let's just focus on who we want moving forward. I know that we may not fire Fisher, but this is a forum. Half of the fun is speculating and playing armchair GM.

SierraRam

Recreational User
I like Haley a lot, and he's not the only coach that flamed out on his first try. A guy in NE comes to mind. I'm weary of having an younger, inexperienced coach because of our lack of discipline, but his offense is fresh and exciting. Goff may thrive.

Side note: Like HOF baseball great Joe Morgan, Marshall Faulk was always hailed as the smartest player on the field. Neither got a chance to use their intelligence as a coach. Why..?

wmc540

Pro Bowler
I'd have to go with Josh McDaniels. Greg Williams would be my number 1 option though.

Last edited:

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
Tom Coughlin HC - he'll instill the discipline this team so badly needs.

Hue Jackson OC - Was good at Cincinnati. He won't be at Cleveland next year, Cincy not so good once he left.

Quinn/Singletary as DC - Quinn is great when he has pieces. won't be in Jax for long.

Fassel - ST coach. No explanation needed, our most solid coaching piece.

BONUS
Head Assistant OC and QB Coach - Mike Martz. Loves Goff and wants to coach again. Give him some power, but not enough.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Tom Coughlin HC - he'll instill the discipline this team so badly needs.

Hue Jackson OC - Was good at Cincinnati. He won't be at Cleveland next year, Cincy not so good once he left.

Quinn/Singletary as DC - Quinn is great when he has pieces. won't be in Jax for long.

Fassel - ST coach. No explanation needed, our most solid coaching piece.

BONUS
Head Assistant OC and QB Coach - Mike Martz. Loves Goff and wants to coach again. Give him some power, but not enough.

Tom Coughlin is 70 years old. The man doesn't have much coaching left in him. I doubt the Browns fire Hue Jackson after one year. If they do, he jumps up on my list. Quinn is in Atlanta and has them contending. Bradley is the guy in Jacksonville. He's horrible. Steve Spagnuolo bad.

Martz has been out of coaching for years. I don't see him coming back for an assistant job.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
2. Jim Bob Cooter OC Detroit Lions

The real trouble with his hire is a little known NFL rule that requires any team with a HC named "Jim Bob" to relocate to Alabama.

6. David Shaw HC Stanford University

This would be my #1 choice out of the college ranks. I've heard he likes his gig at Stanford ... but you never know, the job in LA would be a big temptation.

7. Mike McCarthy HC Green Bay Packers

I doubt he gets fired because he's done a lot of winning and has a built-up reservoir of goodwill. But I'd be good with this hire IF he didn't bring his 3-4 defense. That would mean a total rebuild of a defense that doesn't need it.

I didn't include Jim Schwartz because he feels like much of the same with Fisher. Schwartz is a brilliant DC, but he was too similar of a HC to his mentor, Jeff Fisher. I think we need fresh blood who has a fresh offensive approach.

Now this is one where I'll disagree in part. It's true that his teams weren't always the most disciplined, and that's where there is some similarity to Fisher. On the other hand, he was more than happy to run a modern offense during his time in Detroit, and they were never shy about airing it out. So there would be a good chance he could bring in a good OC, the OC knowing he would be free to take chances. And on the defensive side of the ball, his scheme is essentially the same as Williams, so if we didn't keep Williams there wouldn't be a lot of change to the D. But given their similarity, he might also be the most likely guy to ask Williams to stick around. My preference is for an offensive guy to come in, but if we were going to grab a defensive guy, Schwartz would be my #1 choice at this point.

Last edited:

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
Shanahan is my guy. 6 out of the 9 offenses he coached were in the top 10. He has had all types of QBs and seems like he does a really good job adapting to his personnel. Goff IMO is a higher upside version of his current QB. He really does a good job using his RBs and Gurley is more talented than both of those guys. He has to be number one. He's got the pedigree and experience as a QB coach. Kroenke has to do whatever it takes to get him IMO

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Now this is one where I'll disagree in part. It's true that his teams weren't always the most disciplined, and that's where there is some similarity to Fisher. On the other hand, he was more than happy to run a modern offense during his time in Detroit, and they were never shy about airing it out. So there would be a good chance he could bring in a good OC, the OC knowing he would be free to take chances. And on the defensive side of the ball, his scheme is essentially the same as Williams, so if we didn't keep Williams there wouldn't be a lot of change to the D. But given their similarity, he might also be the most likely guy to ask Williams to stick around. My preference is for an offensive guy to come in, but if we were going to grab a defensive guy, Schwartz would be my #1 choice at this point.

That's fair. If Schwartz could find a good OC to come with him, I'd be on board.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Shanahan is my guy. 6 out of the 9 offenses he coached were in the top 10. He has had all types of QBs and seems like he does a really good job adapting to his personnel. Goff IMO is a higher upside version of his current QB. He really does a good job using his RBs and Gurley is more talented than both of those guys. He has to be number one. He's got the pedigree and experience as a QB coach. Kroenke has to do whatever it takes to get him IMO

Shanahan scares me. I don't doubt his brilliance, but if there is any truth to the rumors about his inability to get along with players, I just couldn't hire him. I don't want a coach who blows up our locker-room. We're so close.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I've been selling this guy for a few months..KNOWS how to get the last ounce of talent from his players..
i161b64.png

bluecoconuts

Legend
For the college ranks I like David Shaw... My dark horse is Tom Herman, HC for the Houston Cougars.. Offensive minded coach, was the OC for Ohio State from 2012-2014, including their National Championship.. Currently has a record of 22-3 in Houston and reports say he's extremely beloved by his players... However he's very inexperienced, hence the dark horse.

If we tap into the NFL I like Lynn and Cooter.. I also really like Sean McVay but he's extremely young (only 30)... He's really loved by his players and has done a lot of good with the Washington offense.. Currently they're the #2 offense in the league and they have a lot of no-name players instead of big stars.. He's a big risk big reward type of coach though, because if he flops he's probably going to flop hard due to being so young.

Sportsed

Pro Bowler
If Mike McCarthy became available, he'd be hands down my first preference, but highly doubt he'll be let go. I'd like someone who's been successful as a head coach, developed players, has NFL ties, has an offensive mentally, a real leader who'll hold players, coaches, and himself accountable. I'd really give serious consideration to David Shaw of Stanford, who I think can put together a very competent staff as well as get the most out of the players we have now. Shaw has sent a number of guys to the NFL during his time at Stanford------quite a few OL IIRC. He may make himself available if the right package is offered; Shaw has done an excellent job at Stanford has a proven track record of success as a head coach. If he wants to be a head coach in the NFL it's about time for him to leave.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
Shanahan scares me. I don't doubt his brilliance, but if there is any truth to the rumors about his inability to get along with players, I just couldn't hire him. I don't want a coach who blows up our locker-room. We're so close.

That is a good point, but I am a little skeptical of the sources of those rumors. Rody White complained about not getting the ball after an injury ravaged season where he was clearly on his last leg and isn't in the league now. RGIII had problems with him, but its more rare for RGIII to get along with a coach these days. Not sure what went on between him and McNabb, but that was also a guy towards the back end of his career.

On the flipside Alex Mack followed him to Atlanta and Kirk Cousins speaks highly of him.

I don't mind if he is not a players coach as long as he gets the best out of the players. Afterall Fisher is players coach and look how far that has gotten us

Last edited:

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
Matt Schaub lead the league in passing yards and made the pro bowl under Shanny. Matt freaking Schaub. Need I say more?

Schaub doesn't seem to have a problem with him either because he followed him to Atlanta to back up Matt Ryan

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Matt Schaub lead the league in passing yards and made the pro bowl under Shanny. Matt freaking Schaub. Need I say more?

Schaub doesn't seem to have a problem with him either because he followed him to Atlanta to back up Matt Ryan

I'm just telling you what I heard from some people who generally have good info.

Killgasm

Starter
Name
Alex
I'm willing to give Scott Linehan another try. He's doing a good job in Dallas.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
It seems that the general consensus here is that we should move on from Jeff Fisher. I don't know what the Rams will do.
1. Anthony Lynn OC Buffalo Bills:notworthy:
2. Jim Bob Cooter OC Detroit Lions:unsure:
3. Matt Patricia DC New England Patriots:(
4. Todd Haley OC Pittsburgh Steelers(y)
5. Kyle Shanahan OC Atlanta Falcons:D
6. David Shaw HC Stanford University:cool:
7. Mike McCarthy HC Green Bay Packers:whistle:
I want to state at the outset: This is not a thread to rip Fisher in. We have enough of those already. Let's just focus on who we want moving forward. I know that we may not fire Fisher, but this is a forum. Half of the fun is speculating and playing armchair GM.

This is a great Fantasy GM Post jrry, BUT You Are Getting ME TOO EXCITED with this subject...

I have a few favorites from your golden presumptive list but I need to do some sound, serious research like you've done before I elaborate more from your list, which I will do a complementary quality job.

A Great Detailed Informal Post by the way @jrry32 . :icare:

Also if this post and future ones like it become reality after the season ends, I can only imagine how ROD is going to blow the freak up with great insight and speculation... ROD members choosing/debating their choice of who should.....

win and be crowned in such an Epic beauty pageant of hot qualified contestants.

giphy.gif

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
Another guy I like is Mike Shula, not at the top of my list but certainly under consideration. His stock is probably down a bit after this year, but he has done a hell of job developing Cam Newton from a talented extremely raw rookie in the rookie of the year and eventually MVP. He has plenty of experience as a QB coach developing QBs at different spots , which I like when you have a young QB. He has head coaching experience and even though it was at the college ranks it was at nations most demanding program Alabama and he came in already hampered by sanctions.