Whiners meltdown continues

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
What a waste of a bed when he went to rehab just to get a more lenient sentence from the NFL. As an alcoholic myself, I know how hard it can be to reach out and accept help. And as they say in the rooms, you have to do it for yourself, not to please the judge, commish, family, wife, kids or anyone else. Its a shame he didnt at least hire a driver, he has to be aware that he has a problem, unless he just went through the motions in rehab.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
A friend of mine is a legit alcoholic... to the point where he needs to be medically restrained and overseen if he dries out, because otherwise the shock could kill him. I've seen alcoholism cost him everything in his life - his wife divorced him, taking their two kids; his company that he started had to fold while he was in prison for violence during a drunken rampage; he's living god-kn0ws-where with god-knows-who somewhere in another state.

Addiction is very real, and very powerful. I have no idea how one can defeat it. AA certainly doesn't help.

Actually AA helps a lot, but only if one allows it to and takes advantage of the support they can get. AA alone isnt enough though, one must allow God, or whomever their higher power may be, to do for them what they cant do for themselves.

It was only by the grace of God that I never spent time in prison, many of my friends today did time for way less than the crap I did as an off the hook alcoholic/drug addict.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Nah, once a thread gets to two or three pages it's best to leave it where it is.

AA saved my life. August 27th, 1980 everything changed for the better. Once I admitted that I had addiction problems and asked for help, I turned a corner and never looked back.

One thing I can tell you all is that it took seven years of heavy drinking and drugging, burning through two marriages and losing most of my stuff, before I began to realize that I was the one with the problem and that it wasn't anyone else's fault. I suspect that Aldon Smith is in the denial stage. Maybe this last episode will finally wake him up. Some folks have to totally bottom out before reality hits them.

I met plenty of people in AA who never straightened up. One guy was a speaker who went from state to state helping other addicts. He even ran an addiction center in Scotts Valley, CA. One night he decided to get drunk again and killed two people in an accident. Most of the people I knew in that program eventually went back to their old habits.

I have serious compassion for addicts because of my own personal experiences but Aldon Smith and others like him need to be taken off the streets before they kill someone. I prefer addiction treatment to jail but whatever it takes to get people to wake up and keep the rest of us from harm.

Congratulations Prime Time!
I made that decision in my last drunken stupor on May 26, 2004 and began my new life on May 27th, 2004. It hasnt been all well and wonderful, but I havent had to drink or use since I started this new leg in my journey through life. I have seen many people come and go, but the ones that were/are doing for themselves first and making themselves available for everyone else in their lives stick around. Its a shame that some have to die for others to get the gift of sobriety.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Is that the stuff that makes you react to any alcohol in your system with violent upheaval? So sorry for you having to deal with that; amazing how alcoholism seems to be strongly genetic.

Yes, that's the stuff. Alcoholism skipped my two brothers and my son, for which I'm grateful. The genetics thing is strange because there's no rhyme or reason to it.

Congratulations Prime Time!
I made that decision in my last drunken stupor on May 26, 2004 and began my new life on May 27th, 2004. It hasnt been all well and wonderful, but I havent had to drink or use since I started this new leg in my journey through life. I have seen many people come and go, but the ones that were/are doing for themselves first and making themselves available for everyone else in their lives stick around. Its a shame that some have to die for others to get the gift of sobriety.

Congratulations. (y) I don't know why this thread has meandered away from Aldon Smith and gotten more personal but maybe someone out there needs to be reading these posts. Btw I think it's great that most people can drink a couple of beers or glasses of wine and not allow it to affect them in a negative way. But some of us are unable to do that.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Interesting thread
My biggest fear is that giving them pseudoscience that doesn't actually work makes it that much worse, because if you fail on AA, where do you turn?
See that below..Antabuse...it causes a reaction that supposedly makes it physically impossible to get drunk/drink..you throw up is what I've heard...Don't know if it works..I'm sure they have a gang of medications coming down the line to fix this...but it's truly an individual battle...you gotta be sick and tired of being sick and tired...Just like Steve Jobs /Bill Gates...bet there's a billion $$$ idea in this somewhere....If they can find a way to control guys/gals that drink destructively..

My dad was a raging alcoholic who never went to AA. Over the last year of his life he took antabuse to quit drinking.
Man, thanks for sharing bro...Never was a big drinker, but I can put a few back at my size (esp. after a terrible Sunday game...or a good Sunday game for that matter, check the chats :cheers:)..but that damn weed...LOL...

Now Aldon is either in denial, or just crazy...and the worst/funny thing about this situation...he'll probably get signed by another team in 2016...edge rushers are hard to find...The Jags or Boys would sign him today if they could, without the major media distractions/coverage and backlash from fans..

jjab360

Legend
Almost created a new thread for this LOL

49ersmonkeyspaw.png

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Good comedy. I like how Tomsula is drawn to look like Carl from Aqua Teen, but if you are gonna draw a hat on the Krapperdouche it should be a Dolphins hat.