When will Barrett Jones get in the lineup?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

paceram

Pro Bowler
Maybe I am crazy (Or, just misinformed or just a bad judge of talent/character!) but I will be very surprised (And, Disappointed!) if Jones isn't starting on the Rams OL by next season.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Maybe I am crazy (Or, just misinformed or just a bad judge of talent/character!) but I will be very surprised (And, Disappointed!) if Jones isn't starting on the Rams OL by next season.
Where do you think he should play, considering this is slated to be the starting 5.

Barksdale - Saffold - Wells - Robinson - Long

Oh wait. EDIT. Did you mean 2015?

jjab360

Legend
Where do you think he should play, considering this is slated to be the starting 5.

Barksdale - Saffold - Wells - Robinson - Long

Oh wait. EDIT. Did you mean 2015?
Probably center if/when Wells goes down, or maybe he just straight up outplays him in TC/preseason.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Probably center if/when Wells goes down, or maybe he just straight up outplays him in TC/preseason.
I would agree that's probably his future position. But I don't know if he's up to the level of Wells as it relates to calling out protections or taking up for a rookie (Robinson) on his immediate left. If Wells stays healthy (and he will), I think he's the best guy for the job right now.

paceram

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Agreed! I think Jones will eventually win the Center position (Probably next season or 2015 but if Wells goes down with an injury and misses much time he might have a hard time getting his job back from Jones.).
Of course Jones still has to beat out Barnes which I will be surprised if he doesn't do that during the upcoming training camp.

SierraRam

Recreational User
When we got him, I thought he'd be our 2014 starting Center after his "Redshirt" year. It looks like he's behind Wells and Turner at C, and who knows where he's at on the Guard depth chart.. He played all 5 positions in college, but he's doesn't play before Hooey and Person at Tackle. I have to agree with Paceram, it is "disappointing."

Hopefully we're just taking our time while he learns a difficult position, and our patience pays off after Wells' tenure.

SierraRam

Recreational User
It looks like he's behind Wells and Turner at C

I meant Barnes not Turner... doh!

Dick84

I have no idea why it would be "disappointing". He's a 4th rounder who didn't play last year.
If he turns into a solid backup guard this season.. That's great. If he beats out Barnes, even better.

A contributor who could develop into a starter is about right for a 4th rounder, no?

SierraRam

Recreational User
I have no idea why it would be "disappointing". He's a 4th rounder who didn't play last year.
If he turns into a solid backup guard this season.. That's great. If he beats out Barnes, even better.

A contributor who could develop into a starter is about right for a 4th rounder, no?

He slipped to the 4th only because of his foot injury. That's why he didn't play last year..

He's a 2 time All-American, Outland and Rimington Trophy winner who is out of shape and not pushing for starting job in his 2nd year. I hope he does out work out - I loved the pick last year. He's a great kid, but the fact he isn't more involved at this point is disappointing to me. And I hope I eat my words!

jjab360

Legend
I would agree that's probably his future position. But I don't know if he's up to the level of Wells as it relates to calling out protections or taking up for a rookie (Robinson) on his immediate left. If Wells stays healthy (and he will), I think he's the best guy for the job right now.
I agree Wells is the veteran mind right now but you have to remember Jones is practically a rocket scientist, freaky smart, and he got a ton of on-the-job lessons in the toughest division in college football. Wells is clearly starting to wear down physically, I think a changing of the guard (or more precisely, the centers) could be in the very near future for that position.

Last edited:

Dick84

He slipped to the 4th only because of his foot injury. That's why he didn't play last year..

He's a 2 time All-American, Outland and Rimington Trophy winner who is out of shape and not pushing for starting job in his 2nd year. I hope he does out work out - I loved the pick last year. He's a great kid, but the fact he isn't more involved at this point is disappointing to me. And I hope I eat my words!

I would say your disappointment is based on expectations rather than investment.

Slipped or not.. He was a 4th rounder.. And even healthy, has limited athleticism.

I hope he develops into a starter, but I'm not worried yet.

CoachO

Hall of Fame

He didn't play last year, because he was not ready. Physically, he was soft, and looked in over his head. He wasn't strong enough, and regardless of his college accolades, he wasn't prepared to be a professional Offensive lineman a year ago. If everything being said is accurate, he has worked hard on his strength, and has reshaped his body.

But just standing side by side with Tim Barnes last year, anyone could see that B. Jones was not going to be in their plans. This year, we shall see, but don't sell Barnes short.

Last edited:

SierraRam

Recreational User
upload_2014-6-7_13-9-50.jpeg
Moving on...

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I agree Wells is the veteran mind right now but you have to remember Jones is practically a rocket scientist, freaky smart, and he got a ton of on-the-job lessons in the toughest division in college football. Wells is clearly starting to wear down physically, I think a changing of the guard (or more precisely, the centers) could be in the very near future for that position.
Certainly possible. But all things being equal, I'll take the guy with experience in this scheme and calling out protections. If, like you say, Wells is wearing down, then they might ease Jones into the role. I'm not saying Jones isn't a good player (truth is, I don't know), and the Lisfranc injury in his foot did keep him out of the lineup for a while, so it remains to be seen how he responds to taking a leading role in what's the most important position on the line. I have no doubts about his intelligence whatsoever. Just his experience.

Ken

Starter
Name
Ken Morris
If Jones isn't starting by the 2015 season, I'll assume he'll be nothing better than a career backup. Would like to see him pass Barnes for 2nd string this season just for the warm/fuzzy that his trajectory is still pointing up.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
You are aware that B.Jones graduated with TWO degrees..?? His intelligence is what made him as great an OL as he was in college. I think he might have a shorter learning curve than most rookie/young OL.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
You are aware that B.Jones graduated with TWO degrees..?? His intelligence is what made him as great an OL as he was in college. I think he might have a shorter learning curve than most rookie/young OL.
Yes, I'm aware of that. I already said I didn't question his intelligence, but rather his experience in comparison to Wells'.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
He's a back-up. Therefore, if you can predict injuries then you'd have a good shot at answering the main question.

Moving on, indeed.