When will Barrett Jones get in the lineup?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
seriously though, anyone have pictures of this new and improved Barrett Jones I keep hearing about?

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
The link you put up states 3-4 round.

5.22? Okay... I'll take the "high" 40 he posted, 5.6... Or we can go with the 5.46.

You'll have to refer me to the source of the 27 reps.. Can't find it.

I take "limited" from the numerous articles that have been written about him since he was drafted as well as sources like this...

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/barrett-jones?id=2539195

He's never been Zach Martin. Sorry. Martin has been projected a 1st rounder all through the draft process. Period.

Doesn't mean he won't be a solid pro... Just means he is what he is... A mid-round prospect. No more, no less.

Re: Jones 40 time, it mentions his range from 5.22 with a high of 5.56 on this page. Typically you take the lowest time, not the highest time, as you can accidentally get a bad time, you can't accidentally get a good time. Martin got 5.08 - 5.43, some tenths faster, but that's with all the time to prepare for the combine.
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=83261&draftyear=2013&genpos=C

Re: 225 reps, it mentions the 27 reps on this page. This is as compared to 29 from Martin despite Martin's much shorter arms (32 7/8 vs Jones 34 1/8).
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/archive/1632207
03/16/2013 - 2013 Alabama Pro Day: Jones, who started at four positions on the offensive line, bench-pressed 225 pounds 27 times.

Re: "limited athlete", in the link you sent, it says:
"Limited athlete who will be at his best on the inside at the next level. "
This was not said in the sense that he has questionable athleticism for a pro, but rather that he'd do better at G that T. They say that about a lot of players who play T in college but project to Gs in the pros. Otherwise, the page is GLOWING, so it's odd to me that you picked out that one phrase - that you not only skipped all the good stuff on that page, but that you took this one phrase completely out of context.

REGARDLESS, they say the same thing about Zach Martin.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1664509/zack-martin
WEAKNESSES: With less than ideal length and lateral range, Martin's NFL future may lie inside at guard, where he never played in college. The move to guard is necessary because Martin does not possess great height, arm length or foot speed. He chucks his way back (rather than sliding) for an effective if not aesthetically-pleasing form of pass protection.

and

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2012/profiles/zack-martin?id=2543480
WEAKNESSES
Lacks ideal length to stay outside in the pros -- relatively small wingspan. Not a pure road grader who rolls off flat-backed and buries defenders. Could be stressed by bigger, more powerful defensive tackles. Can improve balance and sustain on the second level. Does not have experience at guard. Could stand to bulk up in preparation for a move inside.

Martin and Jones are even virtually identical in size - 6'4 and 306 lbs (ish).

Re: draft stock... both were late 1st to 2nds throughout the year. After the senior bowl where he was awesome, I don't remember Martin being lower than 1st. Jones was 1st-2nd until the surgery was announced. Then... he started plummeting.

~~~~~~~~~

PS - the rest of that page on Barrett Jones is absolutely GLOWING. My real point in the whole thing was this - let's get some pads on the kid and see what he can do? You don't win all that hardware in college by accident!!! So I'm optimistic.

DRAFT ANALYSIS:
The long-armed Jones, a four-year starter at Alabama, won the Rimington Trophy, which is given to the best center in the country, in 2012. He projects as a long-time contributor at the NFL level.

OVERVIEW
The key to Barrett Jones’ lengthy career at Alabama has been versatility. Alabama head coach Nick Saban has compared the four year starter to NFL great Bruce Matthews, who famously played all five offensive line positions in the NFL. Jones, too, played all five offensive line positions during his four years starting at Alabama. The medical redshirt was made necessary by an injury to his right shoulder three games into his first year on campus. He then started all 14 contests at right guard as a redshirt freshman for Nick Saban's first BCS champion Tide squad in 2009. For his redshirt sophomore season, Jones earned third-team All-American honors from the Associated Press, as well as first-team All-SEC mention from league media for his play as a sophomore. He started 11 games that year, missing the final two regular season contests with a high ankle sprain. He earned third-team All-American honors from the Associated Press, as well as first-team All-SEC mention from league media for his play as a sophomore. He started 11 games that year, missing the final two regular season contests with a high ankle sprain.

Jones made the rare switch from right guard to left tackle in 2011 to replace James Carpenter, a first-round pick of the Seattle Seahawks. He handled the transition so well (while also playing left guard, right tackle and center at times) for the Bowl Championship Series champions that he received the Outland Trophy as the nation’s best “interior lineman” as well as the SEC’s Jacob Blocking Trophy, given to the league’s best lineman. He also possesses the intelligence and high character NFL offensive line coaches desire in their prospects, finishing his degree in accounting in just three years, and won the Wuerffel Trophy for his play on the field and work in the academic and community service worlds.

His final year on campus featured another move, this time to the center position. He capped the year off with another consensus selection to the All-American and All-SEC teams, as well as winning the Rimington Trophy (awarded to the nation’s top center), despite a Lisfranc injury limiting his mobility over the second half of the season.

ANALYSIS
STRENGTHS
Possesses NFL size for an interior player. Solid pass protector whether playing inside or outside, plays with a wide base, mirrors and anchors effectively by keeping his feet moving and extends his arms to stay engaged. Good hip extension in the run game. Gets correct angle to create running lane when blocking on the move, can also create space inside by moving his man out of the hole using his hands and bulk. Able to seal the tackle and then work to linebackers close to the line on combo blocks. Can reach the 3-technique defensive tackle from the center spot. Fits on second-level blocks very well in the run game. Very good football and general intelligence. Great awareness of late blitzers and twist stunts, and he gives excellent effort to reach free rushers so his quarterback stays upright.
WEAKNESSES
Limited athlete who will be at his best on the inside at the next level. Tends to stop his feet and lunge at pass rushers on the edge. Top-heavy, upright runner on pulls without great foot speed. Gets to the second level well, but can struggle tracking and adjusting to moving targets. Quicker linebackers and defensive backs jump around his lunges if he is unable to get his hands on their numbers. Inconsistent firing out of his stance and staying low on short-yardage plays. Hand placement improved in his senior season, but he has soft hands with a limp punch. Doesn’t play with a mean streak. Can get complacent and will fight for initial position, but doesn’t finish blocks and allows his man to disengage too often. Prone to making his initial block and then ball-watching instead of finding a second target. Has a lengthy injury history (but shows the toughness to play through them) and will need to check out medically.
NFL COMPARISON
Daryn Colledge
BOTTOM LINE
2012 Rimington and 2011 Outland Trophy winner has played every spot on the line while helping the Tide win three BCS championships in the last four years. Has spent most of his time on the interior, which is where he projects best in the NFL. While not the strongest or most athletic lineman, Jones’ versatility, intelligence and high character should get him penciled in at guard or center for the next decade in the NFL.

paceram

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Re: Jones 40 time, it mentions his range from 5.22 with a high of 5.56 on this page. Typically you take the lowest time, not the highest time, as you can accidentally get a bad time, you can't accidentally get a good time. Martin got 5.08 - 5.43, some tenths faster, but that's with all the time to prepare for the combine.
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=83261&draftyear=2013&genpos=C

Re: 225 reps, it mentions the 27 reps on this page. This is as compared to 29 from Martin despite Martin's much shorter arms (32 7/8 vs Jones 34 1/8).
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/archive/1632207
03/16/2013 - 2013 Alabama Pro Day: Jones, who started at four positions on the offensive line, bench-pressed 225 pounds 27 times.

Re: "limited athlete", in the link you sent, it says:
"Limited athlete who will be at his best on the inside at the next level. "
This was not said in the sense that he has questionable athleticism for a pro, but rather that he'd do better at G that T. They say that about a lot of players who play T in college but project to Gs in the pros. Otherwise, the page is GLOWING, so it's odd to me that you picked out that one phrase - that you not only skipped all the good stuff on that page, but that you took this one phrase completely out of context.

REGARDLESS, they say the same thing about Zach Martin.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1664509/zack-martin
WEAKNESSES: With less than ideal length and lateral range, Martin's NFL future may lie inside at guard, where he never played in college. The move to guard is necessary because Martin does not possess great height, arm length or foot speed. He chucks his way back (rather than sliding) for an effective if not aesthetically-pleasing form of pass protection.

and

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2012/profiles/zack-martin?id=2543480
WEAKNESSES
Lacks ideal length to stay outside in the pros -- relatively small wingspan. Not a pure road grader who rolls off flat-backed and buries defenders. Could be stressed by bigger, more powerful defensive tackles. Can improve balance and sustain on the second level. Does not have experience at guard. Could stand to bulk up in preparation for a move inside.

Martin and Jones are even virtually identical in size - 6'4 and 306 lbs (ish).

Re: draft stock... both were late 1st to 2nds throughout the year. After the senior bowl where he was awesome, I don't remember Martin being lower than 1st. Jones was 1st-2nd until the surgery was announced. Then... he started plummeting.

~~~~~~~~~

PS - the rest of that page on Barrett Jones is absolutely GLOWING. My real point in the whole thing was this - let's get some pads on the kid and see what he can do? You don't win all that hardware in college by accident!!! So I'm optimistic.

DRAFT ANALYSIS:
The long-armed Jones, a four-year starter at Alabama, won the Rimington Trophy, which is given to the best center in the country, in 2012. He projects as a long-time contributor at the NFL level.

OVERVIEW
The key to Barrett Jones’ lengthy career at Alabama has been versatility. Alabama head coach Nick Saban has compared the four year starter to NFL great Bruce Matthews, who famously played all five offensive line positions in the NFL. Jones, too, played all five offensive line positions during his four years starting at Alabama. The medical redshirt was made necessary by an injury to his right shoulder three games into his first year on campus. He then started all 14 contests at right guard as a redshirt freshman for Nick Saban's first BCS champion Tide squad in 2009. For his redshirt sophomore season, Jones earned third-team All-American honors from the Associated Press, as well as first-team All-SEC mention from league media for his play as a sophomore. He started 11 games that year, missing the final two regular season contests with a high ankle sprain. He earned third-team All-American honors from the Associated Press, as well as first-team All-SEC mention from league media for his play as a sophomore. He started 11 games that year, missing the final two regular season contests with a high ankle sprain.

Jones made the rare switch from right guard to left tackle in 2011 to replace James Carpenter, a first-round pick of the Seattle Seahawks. He handled the transition so well (while also playing left guard, right tackle and center at times) for the Bowl Championship Series champions that he received the Outland Trophy as the nation’s best “interior lineman” as well as the SEC’s Jacob Blocking Trophy, given to the league’s best lineman. He also possesses the intelligence and high character NFL offensive line coaches desire in their prospects, finishing his degree in accounting in just three years, and won the Wuerffel Trophy for his play on the field and work in the academic and community service worlds.

His final year on campus featured another move, this time to the center position. He capped the year off with another consensus selection to the All-American and All-SEC teams, as well as winning the Rimington Trophy (awarded to the nation’s top center), despite a Lisfranc injury limiting his mobility over the second half of the season.

ANALYSIS
STRENGTHS
Possesses NFL size for an interior player. Solid pass protector whether playing inside or outside, plays with a wide base, mirrors and anchors effectively by keeping his feet moving and extends his arms to stay engaged. Good hip extension in the run game. Gets correct angle to create running lane when blocking on the move, can also create space inside by moving his man out of the hole using his hands and bulk. Able to seal the tackle and then work to linebackers close to the line on combo blocks. Can reach the 3-technique defensive tackle from the center spot. Fits on second-level blocks very well in the run game. Very good football and general intelligence. Great awareness of late blitzers and twist stunts, and he gives excellent effort to reach free rushers so his quarterback stays upright.
WEAKNESSES
Limited athlete who will be at his best on the inside at the next level. Tends to stop his feet and lunge at pass rushers on the edge. Top-heavy, upright runner on pulls without great foot speed. Gets to the second level well, but can struggle tracking and adjusting to moving targets. Quicker linebackers and defensive backs jump around his lunges if he is unable to get his hands on their numbers. Inconsistent firing out of his stance and staying low on short-yardage plays. Hand placement improved in his senior season, but he has soft hands with a limp punch. Doesn’t play with a mean streak. Can get complacent and will fight for initial position, but doesn’t finish blocks and allows his man to disengage too often. Prone to making his initial block and then ball-watching instead of finding a second target. Has a lengthy injury history (but shows the toughness to play through them) and will need to check out medically.
NFL COMPARISON
Daryn Colledge
BOTTOM LINE
2012 Rimington and 2011 Outland Trophy winner has played every spot on the line while helping the Tide win three BCS championships in the last four years. Has spent most of his time on the interior, which is where he projects best in the NFL. While not the strongest or most athletic lineman, Jones’ versatility, intelligence and high character should get him penciled in at guard or center for the next decade in the NFL.

I may be eating a lot of crow (won't be the first time and certainly won't be the last time!) but I think Jones will eventually win the starting job at Center for the Rams and once he does he will hold that starting job for years to come and he will do an outstanding job for the Rams Offensive Line!

Dick84

I'm sorry, junk... The round ratings are on the pages. Up to you to decide if they mean anything.

Martin was rated a 1st rounder and was picked in the top half of the 1st round.

Jones is a 4th rounder.

Brandon Thomas had a torn ACL... His second.. And was still picked a round higher than Jones.

You use your data, I'll use mine. My expectations are based on a 4th round investment.. Which was what data I acquired said was appropriate for this player.... And is where he was picked.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
With the amount of injuries the OL has undergone the last few seasons I would imagine that Barrett Jones will see action as a starter this season.

Take a look @ what happen in 2014:
#1-Last season the Rams got one complete game from our starting ORT before our top reserve @ OT was made our starter.
#2-Next starter to go out was ORG who was replaced by Rodger Saffold.
#3-Next to go down was starting center next up reserve was Tim Barnes.
#4-Next starter to go down was @ OLT that forced an opening @ ORG for Shelley Smith to start.
#5-Then another injury to OLT caused reserve Brandon Washington into action @ OLG.

By the conclusion of the last game of the 2013 season None of the First game starters remained in the original post lineup! Five reserve OL'ers, four of which started many games. The 2012 season saw many more reserve OL'ers having to step in to cover OL only one starting OL remained in his post for the 16 games.

So what would make any Ram fan think that of the top Ram OL reserves i.e. OC-Tim Barnes, OG-Davin Joseph, OG/OC/OT Barrett Jones & OT/OG Mike person will not see starting action this season?

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I had jones as my second round draft pick of last year, IMO he was definitely in the top 10 Olinemen of that year and his versatility and intelligence pushed him up my draft board - I was well stoked when the Rams managed to get him and so low in the draft - I do believe that he is going to be an NFL star but I think for the start of the year the experience of Wells is a must at centre, especially if Long will miss a few games due to his ACL - you need experience next to Robinson...

We're in a good place with our O-line guys and its nice to see starters on our depth chart (for a change) (y)