When will Barrett Jones get in the lineup?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
In terms of cliche' draft words, "steals" and "slips" annoy me the most. If a player is drafted in a later round, then that's where he is supposed to go. If coaches and scout thought better of him, someone would have drafted him earlier.

Barrett Jones is a 4th round pick -- that's it. Something is wrong if you are drafting for starters at that point. You should be drafting for depth, hoping that a players eventually maximize their potential. A starting job shouldn't be given to him -- he has to earn it.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
In terms of cliche' draft words, "steals" and "slips" annoy me the most. If a player is drafted in a later round, then that's where he is supposed to go. If coaches and scout thought better of him, someone would have drafted him earlier.

Barrett Jones is a 4th round pick -- that's it. Something is wrong if you are drafting for starters at that point. You should be drafting for depth, hoping that a players eventually maximize their potential. A starting job shouldn't be given to him -- he has to earn it.

Barrett Jones was a 4th round pick, but he's not a 4th round talent. Situations often times determine where a player goes in the draft and Barrett Jones injury was the only thing that kept him from being a hands-down day 2 pick.

RamsOfCastamere

Barrett Jones was a 4th round pick, but he's not a 4th round talent. Situations often times determine where a player goes in the draft and Barrett Jones injury was the only thing that kept him from being a hands-down day 2 pick.

Injury history is just as important as talent. Think about Denario Alexander and his glass knees.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
Injury history is just as important as talent. Think about Denario Alexander and his glass knees.

Some injuries are much more damning than others though. Alexander's knees were held together with chewed up bubble gum.

Barrett Jones foot issues might cause him some discomfort, but he should still be able to play through them. On the flip side Danario Alexander's career is most likely over.

Jones being drafted in the 4th is much similar to the 49ers taking Brandon Thomas later than expected this year. Injuries are the only thing that kept him from being a 1st or 2nd rounder, but he'll still have that talent after his redshirt year.

RamsOfCastamere

Some injuries are much more damning than others though. Alexander's knees were held together with chewed up bubble gum.

Barrett Jones foot issues might cause him some discomfort, but he should still be able to play through them. On the flip side Danario Alexander's career is most likely over.

Jones being drafted in the 4th is much similar to the 49ers taking Brandon Thomas later than expected this year. Injuries are the only thing that kept him from being a 1st or 2nd rounder, but he'll still have that talent after his redshirt year.

My point is, talent or not, he was drafted where he should have, where other talented, injured athletes are taken, such as 4th-rounder Marcus Lattimore. You draft in this round for depth and raw talent that you hope will develop into eventually starters, but are not expecting immediate impact outside of special teams.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
I think it's fair to expect an immediate impact from Jones this season. He's that talented.

I'll be slightly disappointed if he doesn't see time in the starting lineup, maybe even start game one over Wells.

Dick84

I think it's fair to expect an immediate impact from Jones this season. He's that talented.

I'll be slightly disappointed if he doesn't see time in the starting lineup, maybe even start game one over Wells.

I don't expect it.

He's got a veteran, who when the line was healthy last year, centered a very effective line.

Wells is still pretty darn good and they already have one rookie starting on the interior. No need to rush it.

Ill be happy if Jones looks good in preseason and can perform when called upon.

If he can develop into the starting center at some point, that would be great.

paceram

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think Zac Stacy was a 5th Round pick last year and I think he turned out to be a pretty good player and I know I am probably way too optimistic and unrealistic but I would like to see all the Rams draft picks make the roster and contribute (I know - Not going to happen but with Fisher & Snead now in charge of the Draft I think we are seeing a much higher success rate with the Rams drafted players!). I don't think it is unreasonable to hope or expect a 4th round draft pick to make the final roster and even hopefully win a starting position on the Rams team or any NFL team.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
First off as others have posted let's see how Barrett Jones handles himself in pre-season and can be the swing Guard. If he outplays Barnes, he could get the call at Center early if Wells gets injured. However, right now he's the second Guard off the bench Joseph will be the first and the third center off the bench because Barnes has a few games under his belt.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
I don't expect it.

He's got a veteran, who when the line was healthy last year, centered a very effective line.

Wells is still pretty darn good and they already have one rookie starting on the interior. No need to rush it.

Ill be happy if Jones looks good in preseason and can perform when called upon.

If he can develop into the starting center at some point, that would be great.

I think Wells will get every opportunity to hold onto that starting job and I certainly won't shed a tear if he's anchoring the middle of that line to start the season.

He just needs to stay healthy and don't forget the financial benefit that they'd receive if someone did beat him out of a job.

FRO

Legend
To me Jones only position as a starter should be C. I don't see him having the power to be a OG or the athleticism to be an OT. I think C is his spot and I think he will be good at it.

Dick84

I think Wells will get every opportunity to hold onto that starting job and I certainly won't shed a tear if he's anchoring the middle of that line to start the season.

He just needs to stay healthy and don't forget the financial benefit that they'd receive if someone did beat him out of a job.

Don't forget... There's basically no financial benefit to the team on the field *this*season of someone beats Wells out.

Who are they going to use that money on?

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
Don't forget... There's basically no financial benefit to the team on the field *this*season of someone beats Wells out.

Who are they going to use that money on?

A lot of people don't realize it Dick, but teams can roll that cap space saved into the following season.

It could allow them to front load a future contract next offseason which they've been fond of doing in the past.

Dick84

A lot of people don't realize it Dick, but teams can roll that cap space saved into the following season.

It could allow them to front load a future contract next offseason which they've been fond of doing in the past.

Which is why I highlighted *this* season.

With the cap going up & current structure on Rams contracts... That savings next season isn't really something I'm overly concerned about.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
You don't need to be concerned about next season's financials, but you better bet Snead and Demoff have already begun thinking about it, especially since being able to front load a veteran free agents' deal will provide more of an opportunity to re-sign our current players in the seasons to follow.

The cap going up is nice, but with all teams getting that same financial reprieve, it's impact will be minimal as free agents demand more money.

Dick84

You don't need to be concerned about next season's financials, but you better bet Snead and Demoff have already begun thinking about it, especially since being able to front load a veteran free agents' deal will provide more of an opportunity to re-sign our current players in the seasons to follow.

The cap going up is nice, but with all teams getting that same financial reprieve, it's impact will be minimal as free agents demand more money.
Yes, I'm sure they have. That's why I'm not worried about keeping a Wells.

Sooooo... Let's stick to topic at hand.

Ain't nuttin wrong with keeping Wells... & if Jones is just a backup this season... There's nothing wrong with that either.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
Yes, I'm sure they have. That's why I'm not worried about keeping a Wells.

Sooooo... Let's stick to topic at hand.

Ain't nuttin wrong with keeping Wells... & if Jones is just a backup this season... There's nothing wrong with that either.

I agree. I think that's the most likely scenario.

Since it's been extremely rare for offensive lines in the NFL to stay healthy for a full season, I wouldn't be surprised if Jones got his shot one way or another. It'd be nice to start the same 5 guys for 16 games but unfortunately that's rarely a reality.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I agree. I think that's the most likely scenario.

Since it's been extremely rare for offensive lines in the NFL to stay healthy for a full season, I wouldn't be surprised if Jones got his shot one way or another. It'd be nice to start the same 5 guys for 16 games but unfortunately that's rarely a reality.
It'd be nice if we had more than two O-linemen play 16 games. That's only happened once in the last 8 years (2010)