When will Barrett Jones get in the lineup?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
It'd be nice if we had more than two O-linemen play 16 games. That's only happened once in the last 8 years (2010)
Clearly, the only thing stopping our team from succeeding is the quality of play we get from the quarterback position.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Is that right?

Good lord.
That's the fact, Jack.

Memorable_Stripes.jpg

paceram

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It'd be nice if we had more than two O-linemen play 16 games. That's only happened once in the last 8 years (2010)

That sounds like a pretty amazing stat (Not a good one!)! Hopefully, the Rams OL will be able to stay healthier this season!

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
That sounds like a pretty amazing stat (Not a good one!)! Hopefully, the Rams OL will be able to stay healthier this season!
Yep. 2005 was the last time we had more than two O-linemen start all 16 games.
Because there were three.

2003 was the last time this team had an O-line play all 16 games together.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I don't have any faith in Jones becoming a starter. I never liked the pick. I think he benefitted in college from having great line mates and his intelligence allowed him to become the leader despite not being the best of the unit. Arguably he may have been the worst. Even in the SEC the Olinemen don't face NFL caliber DTs across the line. Having dominant teammates alongside you makes an enormous difference.

I would trade Jones up and up for Brandon Thomas and wait another year for Thomas to heal.

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
I don't have any faith in Jones becoming a starter. I never liked the pick. I think he benefitted in college from having great line mates and his intelligence allowed him to become the leader despite not being the best of the unit. Arguably he may have been the worst. Even in the SEC the Olinemen don't face NFL caliber DTs across the line. Having dominant teammates alongside you makes an enormous difference.

I would trade Jones up and up for Brandon Thomas and wait another year for Thomas to heal.

Not to pick on @Elmgrovegnome but this is really a comment for a number of posters who seem to already have dismissed BJones. I just don't get the hate. Sure he redshirted his rookie year, but he was as decorated as an offensive lineman can be in college, playing every position on the line including LT, and playing throuigh his foot injury for ... some ?? of his senior year (I forget when he goit it... from memory it was late in the year). This guy would have been Zach Martin of 2013 if not for his injury.

Don't we all want to see him line up a few times in the pros before we limit him to backup center for the Buffalo Bills? Like every rookie (which is really what he is), I'm anxious to see him line up and see what he can do. You never know, with his pedigree, his IQ, his football IQ and technique, he could break in anywhere on the line.

And as always, we're all still waiting anxiously for that "transformed body" photo of BJones. Heck, the dude might look like Lane Johnson now.

EP-711309507.jpg&maxw=550&maxh=818&Q=70&&updated=201302251439

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I would love for Jones to become a Pro Bowler. I feel that about all of the Rams draft picks, but it doesn't mean I think he will. Lots of players that were highly decorated in college don't pan out in the pros. Brett Rhomberg was a Rimmington award winner.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
This is what I refer to when we talk about the "offensive struggles". This OL has been decimated with injuries to the starters and their backups for several yrs straight now. I know every OL has injuries, but I'm not talking 1 or 2 starters even .. it's been 3..4..5... and quite often even the top backups get hit. There has been no real continuity on our OL and that drastically affects offensive production across the board.

It's time for this curse to end!!!

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
This is what I refer to when we talk about the "offensive struggles". This OL has been decimated with injuries to the starters and their backups for several yrs straight now. I know every OL has injuries, but I'm not talking 1 or 2 starters even .. it's been 3..4..5... and quite often even the top backups get hit. There has been no real continuity on our OL and that drastically affects offensive production across the board.

It's time for this curse to end!!!
Oh yeah? Well what are you prepared to do about it? Anyone can say "It's time for this curse to end!!!" Let's hear a plan. Are you going to Haiti to visit a Voodoo Priestess so she can take the pins out of all those Rams dolls? Take up the Wiccan religion and cast a spell? Personally go down there and give them all a pre-game aura cleaning by burning sage in the locker room?

Actions speak louder than words, Redding. Do something.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Oh yeah? Well what are you prepared to do about it? Anyone can say "It's time for this curse to end!!!" Let's hear a plan. Are you going to Haiti to visit a Voodoo Priestess so she can take the pins out of all those Rams dolls? Take up the Wiccan religion and cast a spell? Personally go down there and give them all a pre-game aura cleaning by burning sage in the locker room?

Man I wish I had the answer. It just perplexes me how it gets hit so hard every single year. Every game I'm just waiting to see who goes down next..

paceram

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Not to pick on @Elmgrovegnome but this is really a comment for a number of posters who seem to already have dismissed BJones. I just don't get the hate. Sure he redshirted his rookie year, but he was as decorated as an offensive lineman can be in college, playing every position on the line including LT, and playing throuigh his foot injury for ... some ?? of his senior year (I forget when he goit it... from memory it was late in the year). This guy would have been Zach Martin of 2013 if not for his injury.

Don't we all want to see him line up a few times in the pros before we limit him to backup center for the Buffalo Bills? Like every rookie (which is really what he is), I'm anxious to see him line up and see what he can do. You never know, with his pedigree, his IQ, his football IQ and technique, he could break in anywhere on the line.

And as always, we're all still waiting anxiously for that "transformed body" photo of BJones. Heck, the dude might look like Lane Johnson now.

Totally agree! Great Post!

Dick84

Forgive me, Junkman.... This post is just junk.

He was never Zach Martin... Injury or not. He was always projected as a middle rounder because he's quite limited physically.

He has gotten stronger, apparently, and seems to be the primary backup guard.. Along with Joseph... And there's nothing wrong with that for a 4th rounder who didn't really play last year.

College is college... This is the NFL.

Boffo97

Name
Dave

To me, it's obvious.... new stadium.

And then don't build the new stadium on a Native American Burial Ground.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael

In 1999 all that they had to do was burn some sage. Why are we not burning more sage? Hell, I'll get my soon to be wife to plant a garden of it. I'll donate it to the Rams for free. Also, I'm willing to help rebury the dead Native Americans whom we desecrated somehow. I'll bring my shovel and my sage.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
Oops. Made a mistake. Nothing to see here.

Last edited:

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
Forgive me, Junkman.... This post is just junk.

He was never Zach Martin... Injury or not. He was always projected as a middle rounder because he's quite limited physically.

He has gotten stronger, apparently, and seems to be the primary backup guard.. Along with Joseph... And there's nothing wrong with that for a 4th rounder who didn't really play last year.

College is college... This is the NFL.

Jones was consistently mocked in late 1st to early 2nd rounds. I remember as high as 20 in the 1st. He dropped precipitously with the injury news. The injury made him weak (and flabby) and he didn't have a chance to do anything at the combine. Zach Martin was a draft riser, who really benefit from the post-season combine stuff to move into the middle of the 1st. Had Jones been inherently a "middle rounder", he would not have been picked in the 4th round. He'd have been picked in the 6th or 7th or been a priority free agent. Had he not been injured, he could have prepped for the combine like these other kids and perhaps made a combine / senior bowl splash like Martin to solidify a spot in the 1st.

Re: "limited athletically", he had 27 reps on the bench and ran a 5.22 40. Not bad for a 6'5 306 lb guy. "Limited athletically" is a bizarre myth.

Anyway, even with the lisfranc and the news he'd be getting surgery and missing his whole first year, he was still projected at rounds 3-4.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/archive/1632207

Dick84

The link you put up states 3-4 round.

5.22? Okay... I'll take the "high" 40 he posted, 5.6... Or we can go with the 5.46.

You'll have to refer me to the source of the 27 reps.. Can't find it.

I take "limited" from the numerous articles that have been written about him since he was drafted as well as sources like this...

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/barrett-jones?id=2539195

He's never been Zach Martin. Sorry. Martin has been projected a 1st rounder all through the draft process. Period.

Doesn't mean he won't be a solid pro... Just means he is what he is... A mid-round prospect. No more, no less.