When does Steadman Bailey start?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

When does Bailey start at WR2?

• Season opener

Votes: 11 16.2%
  • Before the 4th game

Votes: 14 20.6%
  • By mid-season

Votes: 18 26.5%
  • 2nd half of the season

Votes: 5 7.4%
  • Not until next year

Votes: 14 20.6%
  • Never - he's WR3 or WR4

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • Never - he's a career backup

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
CoachO said:
LesBaker said:
CoachO said:
LesBaker said:
CoachO said:
Too much is being made of the "depth Chart" with this group of receivers. They ALL are gonna be counted on to play a big role in what they want to do this year. I could care less who the "starter" is. I want to see them put in situations that they all can succeed.

I agree with this but no matter how many times I have said it, and you and others say it, we still hear the #1, #2, #3 and so on thing come up. These guys are going to be used as moving, interchangeable parts based on different situations on the field. There is no true #1 or #2. I bet 4 guys get 700 yards or more each too.

My guess is that we almost never see a two wide set and that we will see 4 wide nearly as often as 3 wide. That way it allows the play calling to get really creative and it keeps the defense guessing. I think they are going to use a ton of motion too.

There is gonna be a lot of spreading the ball around this year.

Obviously, I agree with most of what you say. But unless you are including having Cook split out as part of your "3 side sets", you might be disappointed in the actual percentage they are in "two wide" sets. It certainly will NOT be "almost never".

I anticipate as many "12" personnel packages, single back, with 2 TEs, which means TWO WRs as the 3 and 4 wide sets that you seem to think they will employ.

But the point you are making is a very valid one. They will be diversified and will indeed spread the ball around ALOT.

In clear cut run situations and goal line yes for sure there won't be 3-4-5 wide sets. Unless Martz is back in town!

I meant more along the lines of the rest of the time.....they have these weapons and they are going to get as many as they can on the field.

As do I. They have been very good about getting the same mismatches they have talked about, by using 2 TE sets, with one of the (Harkey) lined up in the backfield as a FB. IT forces the defense into their base 4-3, and isolates Cook on a LB. I'll take the mismatch every time. They have also used Austin in the slot out of the "2 back" formation, and had him covered by a LB.

They are going to be able to do just about whatever they want, to dictate these types of mismatches in an assortment of formations.

I appreciate this kind of conversation, it's enjoyable.

The mis match with Cook and a LB is one that will work well for Bradford especially since we heard he is developing a good rapport with him. Now if you line up Austin in the backfield and have him motion out then you have another problem for the defense.

BS should have spent hours and hours designing new plays, I know I would have.

One thing that crossed my mind. You mention keeping defenses in a thgeir base 4/3.

What are the teams that run a 3/4 going to do to stop the type of speed they are going to encounter from Austin and Cook. Often one of the LB's is coming after the QB so that's gonna be a bad idea now. THoughts?

WvuIN02

Starter
You cannot ever put a LB on Austin. The only way teams in college had any success vs Austin and Bailey was to bracket both of them, which left other guys wide open or the running game made huge gains.

Its a huge problem since most corners are on the outside as a defenses best athletes, but the slot position changing and putting guys like Austin versus nickel backs or safeties is a massive mismatch. Versus Texas last year they tried to put Kenny Vaccaro (the top 15 pick for the Saints) on Austin and he made him look absolutely stupid.

If BS is smart, he will use Austin on sweeps in motion and put him everywhere. I cant imagine how much stress that would be for the opposing DC. As a pure wideout Bailey I think is better, but other than maybe Harvin there isnt a player in the NFL as versatile as Austin in what you can do with him. I mean, he holds the state of Marylands yardage and touchdown total in history as a running back in high school. 34 rushing tds his senior year, its just insane what an athlete he is.

A55VA6

Legend
WvuIN02 said:
You cannot ever put a LB on Austin. The only way teams in college had any success vs Austin and Bailey was to bracket both of them, which left other guys wide open or the running game made huge gains.

Its a huge problem since most corners are on the outside as a defenses best athletes, but the slot position changing and putting guys like Austin versus nickel backs or safeties is a massive mismatch. Versus Texas last year they tried to put Kenny Vaccaro (the top 15 pick for the Saints) on Austin and he made him look absolutely stupid.

If BS is smart, he will use Austin on sweeps in motion and put him everywhere. I cant imagine how much stress that would be for the opposing DC. As a pure wideout Bailey I think is better, but other than maybe Harvin there isnt a player in the NFL as versatile as Austin in what you can do with him. I mean, he holds the state of Marylands yardage and touchdown total in history as a running back in high school. 34 rushing tds his senior year, its just insane what an athlete he is.
Very nice post!

CoachO

Hall of Fame
WvuIN02 said:

Not sure how often they will employ the "jet sweep" with him in motion, but they have at least shown it once or twice in practice. Just having the threat can sometimes mean as much as actually running it.

The biggest plays that Austin has been involved in at practice thus far have been off the same play. Same formation.

They line Austin and Cook in the slot, with Quick/Pettis on the outside, in a 3 by 1 formation. Givens /Bailey flanked on the opposite side.

They run both Austin and Cook up the seam, and cook breaks to the post, forcing the safety to go with him. If and WHEN Austin beats the slot CB off the LOS, which he did on both these occasions, its just and easy throw (Bradford hits him within 15-18 yards of the LOS, and he is off to the races.

Now, there have been a couple of occasions they have run the play, and Austin gets jammed at the LOS, but if he can get a step on that DB, its over. ITs a quick read on Bradford's part, and its a big play just waiting to happen.

jjab360

Legend
CoachO said:
Zaphod said:
That kid can really catch the ball, so in that regard I'd really like to see Bailey and Givens starting against the Cardinals.

I guess it's a good thing I'm not a coach :)

They are playing the same position. So not likely.
:huh: Bailey played both X and Z receiver against the Browns, and I think might have played a few snaps in the slot, I'll have to go back and see.

Regardless, I think it's clear that he is capable of playing any receiver position, as well as Givens. Not to mention he shows the toughness you could only dream Quick had as a "possession" receiver. I put possession in quotation marks because Bailey was also a great deep ball receiver in college, though I can't say if that skill has translated to the pros yet. He can pretty much do it all, and from what I've seen, Quick is still as raw as a practice squad receiver. Even the "great" catches he makes only came after he has run sloppy routes, he makes everything look much harder than it has to be, IMO. Bailey makes everything look so smooth and easy, and we'll never have to worry about hands being a problem.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Does he struggle off the line that much that they would rather use Quick as a split end or do you think it's more to do with what routes the players are more comfortable with?

I guess we'll have to wait and see. I understand that Quick is going to look great on high throws, but what bothered me about his drop against the Browns is how he didn't commit to the low ball with his body which would have made it a much easier catch.

It's not like he's a seasoned veteran just going through the motions, so if I'm the coach, I want the guy who shows he's going to pick up those yards.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
CoachO said:
LesBaker said:
CoachO said:
Too much is being made of the "depth Chart" with this group of receivers. They ALL are gonna be counted on to play a big role in what they want to do this year. I could care less who the "starter" is. I want to see them put in situations that they all can succeed.

I agree with this but no matter how many times I have said it, and you and others say it, we still hear the #1, #2, #3 and so on thing come up. These guys are going to be used as moving, interchangeable parts based on different situations on the field. There is no true #1 or #2. I bet 4 guys get 700 yards or more each too.

My guess is that we almost never see a two wide set and that we will see 4 wide nearly as often as 3 wide. That way it allows the play calling to get really creative and it keeps the defense guessing. I think they are going to use a ton of motion too.

There is gonna be a lot of spreading the ball around this year.

Obviously, I agree with most of what you say. But unless you are including having Cook split out as part of your "3 side sets", you might be disappointed in the actual percentage they are in "two wide" sets. It certainly will NOT be "almost never".

I anticipate as many "12" personnel packages, single back, with 2 TEs, which means TWO WRs as the 3 and 4 wide sets that you seem to think they will employ.

But the point you are making is a very valid one. They will be diversified and will indeed spread the ball around ALOT.

most of givens' big plays will come from the 2 wide sets. hopefully they will be tds.

as an example, manning to harrison was the most dangerous threat to defenses in that formation.