When does Steadman Bailey start?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

When does Bailey start at WR2?

• Season opener

Votes: 11 16.2%
  • Before the 4th game

Votes: 14 20.6%
  • By mid-season

Votes: 18 26.5%
  • 2nd half of the season

Votes: 5 7.4%
  • Not until next year

Votes: 14 20.6%
  • Never - he's WR3 or WR4

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • Never - he's a career backup

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

WvuIN02

Starter
CoachO said:
WvuIN02 said:
The below excerpt was posted 2 hours ago from Stlouisrams.com

In the team’s daily routine of 1-on-1 drills between wide receivers and defensive backs in the red zone, WR Stedman Bailey stole the show as he finished the period in perfect form. Bailey affirmed his sure handedness when he came away with three touchdown receptions.

I think he will be starting before you know it :ww:

What does this really tell you? He beat 3 UDFA CBs in a ONE on ONE drill where they have the entire field to cover wih no pass rush. The OFFENSE is suppose to win this drill.

Can we get a little perspective here?

That was just anecdotal to add some info for this thread, but feel free to assume whatever it is you are assuming.

I'm basing my own opinion on watching him for 4 years in college for every snap and seeing him torch top 10 talent that he has faced in big games (Morris Claiborne from LSU for instance). Everything I have read from camp from Rams coaches and seen in preseason just reaffirms that for me.

And fwiw, my vote was mid-season if he remains healthy, so I'm not saying he will be starting right away.

The kid is a gamer and has some of the best hands I have ever seen.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
WvuIN02 knowing his man:
I'm basing my own opinion on watching him for 4 years in college for every snap and seeing him torch top 10 talent that he has faced in big games (Morris Claiborne from LSU for instance). Everything I have read from camp from Rams coaches and seen in preseason just reaffirms that for me.

Good to hear that. I think we're going to have some great competition this year. That can only be good for the Rams.

biggame1190

Starter
Name
CB
Im not too worried about truly starting this year because we will be interchanging WRs this season...But I hope to see him getting as many reps (or maybe more) as Pettis and Quick soon. I hope Fisher gives him some time with Sam in this preseason.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
What's truly amazing is that Snead has drafted 2 WRs in the 4th and 3rd rounds in consecutive years that look like hits.

Do you guys realize how hard that is to do?

A55VA6

Legend
Stedman Bailey will be a star in this league. I believe in this kid more than any WR on this roster.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
Although I believe Sted will have the best career of any of the other current receivers, he really seems to be more of a backup to Givens this year. If something happens to CG, the gameplan would remain the same with Bailey taking those reps. I don't think we will see him at the X (Split End) position very often -- I see Quick and Pettis more in that role. Cook and Austin will get most of the Y routes (Slot), and Givens and Bailey will see the most Z routes (Flanker).

This camp the Rams have determined that most receivers should learn all positions -- but the regular season will shake out mostly as I just outlined. Bailey, for instance, may get some Y and X routes, but not very often. You may occasionally see Givens line up in the slot. Heck, I like Cook at Split End, but that's just me. Schotty will move pieces around to confuse defenses and create favorable matchups. I don't know how they will handle "starter" status, but this offense will resemble a box of chocolates. A dizzying assortment of personnel groupings deployed in an up tempo pace will confuse and break down defenses all year long. It's not going to be fun to coordinate defenses against the Rams this year.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
leoram making his views known:
Although I believe Sted will have the best career of any of the other current receivers, he really seems to be more of a backup to Givens this year. If something happens to CG, the gameplan would remain the same with Bailey taking those reps. I don't think we will see him at the X (Split End) position very often -- I see Quick and Pettis more in that role. Cook and Austin will get most of the Y routes (Slot), and Givens and Bailey will see the most Z routes (Flanker).

This camp the Rams have determined that most receivers should learn all positions -- but the regular season will shake out mostly as I just outlined. Bailey, for instance, may get some Y and X routes, but not very often. You may occasionally see Givens line up in the slot. Heck, I like Cook at Split End, but that's just me. Schotty will move pieces around to confuse defenses and create favorable matchups. I don't know how they will handle "starter" status, but this offense will resemble a box of chocolates. A dizzying assortment of personnel groupings deployed in an up tempo pace will confuse and break down defenses all year long. It's not going to be fun to coordinate defenses against the Rams this year.

My mind is going so I might have already welcomed you but hey, who cares! :lol:

Welcome to the ROD! :zomg: :ja: :dancin: :nana: :wewt: :clap: :cheers:

Don't forget to pin your location on the members map just in case we want to stop by for free room and board. :whome?:

CoachO

Hall of Fame
leoram said:

Nicely done. This is EXACTLY how I see things shaking out as well. Its what has happened on a daily basis since camp opened 2 1/2 weeks ago.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
biggame1190 said:
Im not too worried about truly starting this year because we will be interchanging WRs this season...But I hope to see him getting as many reps (or maybe more) as Pettis and Quick soon. I hope Fisher gives him some time with Sam in this preseason.

Interesting that you say you want to see him get as many reps as Pettis and Quick soon. He IS getting those already. Every day in camp, both he and Quick rotate with Pettis and Givens, with the 1st unit offense.

In addition to those reps, he and Quick are also taking MOST of the reps with the 2nd offense as well. So its safe to say, combined, they may be getting the most reps of any of the WRs.

That you don't notice Bailey as much as Quick, might because he isn't "targeted" as much when he is out there. Most of his "highlights" in practice have come in ONE on ONE, or SEVEN on SEVEN drills.

Please don't think I don't like the kid. I think he has very good skills, but lets not make him out to be more than he is AT THIS POINT. And that's a role player who will have his chance in this offense, like ALL of the others on this unit.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
That kid can really catch the ball, so in that regard I'd really like to see Bailey and Givens starting against the Cardinals.

I guess it's a good thing I'm not a coach :)

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Zaphod said:
That kid can really catch the ball, so in that regard I'd really like to see Bailey and Givens starting against the Cardinals.

They are playing the same position. So not likely.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
CoachO said:
Too much is being made of the "depth Chart" with this group of receivers. They ALL are gonna be counted on to play a big role in what they want to do this year. I could care less who the "starter" is. I want to see them put in situations that they all can succeed.

I agree with this but no matter how many times I have said it, and you and others say it, we still hear the #1, #2, #3 and so on thing come up. These guys are going to be used as moving, interchangeable parts based on different situations on the field. There is no true #1 or #2. I bet 4 guys get 700 yards or more each too.

My guess is that we almost never see a two wide set and that we will see 4 wide nearly as often as 3 wide. That way it allows the play calling to get really creative and it keeps the defense guessing. I think they are going to use a ton of motion too.

There is gonna be a lot of spreading the ball around this year.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
LesBaker said:
CoachO said:
Too much is being made of the "depth Chart" with this group of receivers. They ALL are gonna be counted on to play a big role in what they want to do this year. I could care less who the "starter" is. I want to see them put in situations that they all can succeed.

I agree with this but no matter how many times I have said it, and you and others say it, we still hear the #1, #2, #3 and so on thing come up. These guys are going to be used as moving, interchangeable parts based on different situations on the field. There is no true #1 or #2. I bet 4 guys get 700 yards or more each too.

My guess is that we almost never see a two wide set and that we will see 4 wide nearly as often as 3 wide. That way it allows the play calling to get really creative and it keeps the defense guessing. I think they are going to use a ton of motion too.

I think Givens will get close to 1000 yards this year. And at least 6 TDs.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
LesBaker said:
CoachO said:

Obviously, I agree with most of what you say. But unless you are including having Cook split out as part of your "3 side sets", you might be disappointed in the actual percentage they are in "two wide" sets. It certainly will NOT be "almost never".

I anticipate as many "12" personnel packages, single back, with 2 TEs, which means TWO WRs as the 3 and 4 wide sets that you seem to think they will employ.

But the point you are making is a very valid one. They will be diversified and will indeed spread the ball around ALOT.

RamEERS

Pastor
one thing that you will never hear much about is also his run blocking.... sure he's probably not on par with NFL standards, but he was always willing to block when needed to in college... that's one thing you'll notice when watching tavon or some other RBs going for long runs, is that bailey does his job and keep the CBs detained... after all, that's how he got to see the field so fast in his sophomore year..

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
CoachO said:
LesBaker said:
CoachO said:

Obviously, I agree with most of what you say. But unless you are including having Cook split out as part of your "3 side sets", you might be disappointed in the actual percentage they are in "two wide" sets. It certainly will NOT be "almost never".

I anticipate as many "12" personnel packages, single back, with 2 TEs, which means TWO WRs as the 3 and 4 wide sets that you seem to think they will employ.

But the point you are making is a very valid one. They will be diversified and will indeed spread the ball around ALOT.

In clear cut run situations and goal line yes for sure there won't be 3-4-5 wide sets. Unless Martz is back in town!

I meant more along the lines of the rest of the time.....they have these weapons and they are going to get as many as they can on the field.

A55VA6

Legend
RamEERS said:
one thing that you will never hear much about is also his run blocking.... sure he's probably not on par with NFL standards, but he was always willing to block when needed to in college... that's one thing you'll notice when watching tavon or some other RBs going for long runs, is that bailey does his job and keep the CBs detained... after all, that's how he got to see the field so fast in his sophomore year..
I've seen a few plays from college, and Bailey was full effort and did well in blocking the run.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
RamEERS said:

No doubt about it. I noticed him all over Austins highlight video, he is a willing blocker for sure.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
LesBaker said:
CoachO said:
LesBaker said:
CoachO said:

In clear cut run situations and goal line yes for sure there won't be 3-4-5 wide sets. Unless Martz is back in town!

I meant more along the lines of the rest of the time.....they have these weapons and they are going to get as many as they can on the field.

As do I. They have been very good about getting the same mismatches they have talked about, by using 2 TE sets, with one of the (Harkey) lined up in the backfield as a FB. IT forces the defense into their base 4-3, and isolates Cook on a LB. I'll take the mismatch every time. They have also used Austin in the slot out of the "2 back" formation, and had him covered by a LB.

They are going to be able to do just about whatever they want, to dictate these types of mismatches in an assortment of formations.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Zaphod said:

Disagree. I think you would make a fine coach, haha. I can totally see those two starting together by week 1. Bailey already reminds me of Bruce and Holt, with a little bit of Steve Smith mixed in. Yep, all that from a few snaps in a preseason game. I trust my eyes.