When does Steadman Bailey start?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

When does Bailey start at WR2?

• Season opener

Votes: 11 16.2%
  • Before the 4th game

Votes: 14 20.6%
  • By mid-season

Votes: 18 26.5%
  • 2nd half of the season

Votes: 5 7.4%
  • Not until next year

Votes: 14 20.6%
  • Never - he's WR3 or WR4

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • Never - he's a career backup

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

EastRam

Pro Bowler
Bailey starts day one! He be like Torry Holt. He will be that good

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
I voted by the 4th game. I do see him taking that number two spot. You don't get 1600 yards and 25 TDs in college without having tremendous talent. It does not matter what conference you're in. He may look like Gibson now but keep in mind that it took Gibson 3 years to get to that level. Once Bailey gets a better understanding of the playbook and the game slows down a little, he will pass up Pettis.

He (basing after college tapes) runs great routes, gets decent seperation, and can catch in traffic. Those are traits needed to be a solid number 2. He will be it...but that doesn't mean that Quick won't pass Bailey up by the seasons end.

It will be a fun one to watch.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
HitStick said:
I voted by the 4th game. I do see him taking that number two spot. You don't get 1600 yards and 25 TDs in college without having tremendous talent. It does not matter what conference you're in. He may look like Gibson now but keep in mind that it took Gibson 3 years to get to that level. Once Bailey gets a better understanding of the playbook and the game slows down a little, he will pass up Pettis.

He (basing after college tapes) runs great routes, gets decent seperation, and can catch in traffic. Those are traits needed to be a solid number 2. He will be it...but that doesn't mean that Quick won't pass Bailey up by the seasons end.

It will be a fun one to watch.

Quick really should be a WR1. That is, if he ever plays up to his measurables. But that won't happen this year or maybe ever with Givens around.

Another thing on the Pettis comparisons. No one should be under the impression that Pettis is a bigger target than Bailey. Bailey has longer arms and bigger hands than Pettis. So it's not like Pettis is a bigger target than Bailey, Pettis is taller, but his hands aren't better than Bailey's.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
I voted mid season because this kids got hands but it will take some time to show with all the depth we have at WR. I think he will fill the void we have had and always come through with the catches. I don't think he will start right away because we have 3 guys in front of him that are 2nd year+ and Tavon that got drafted the same year/Higher round. I do think he will get his catches here and there at first but end up taking a spot eventually.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
I think Quick should be given the first chance at that spot, just because he's a physical freak. If he doesn't pull it off, we can put Pettis back in, or put Bailey in there. That way, at least we know if he's going to cut it or not.

It wont hurt us a bit to let Bailey red shirt this season, and use him in limited packages as he learns the NFL.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
I've been following Sted since he was a Jr at WV and was overjoyed when we drafted him because I think he has similar tools to Steve Smith & is more natural as a flanker despite his lack of height. The pick reminded me of Givens because we got a starter in the mid rounds.

If he's given a chance to consistently work with the 1s I think he can beat out Quick & Pettis. Probably the most natural WR catching the rock, runs crisp routes (for a rook), and has incredible body control in the air. Not to mention he has underrated downfield speed. I love this kid & think if he's given a chance he can start week. Work in Quick & Pettis situationally, but I prefer Bailey on most downs

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
CoachO said:
max said:
Softli said today that Bailey should be in with the ones over Pettis. Wants to see him get more time with Sam; and let's not wait until the 3rd preseason game. Get him time now.

I tend to agree. I think we know what we've got in Pettis. And I would like to see how consistent Bailey is playing with Sam under game conditions. I believe Bailey will start sooner or later this year. What say you?

This is the type of thing that makes me wonder what Softli is watching during practice, if he is watching at all.

BOTH BAILEY and QUICK are getting plenty of reps with the "1's" in that they are rotating constantly with Pettis and Givens. He say he wants Bailey to get more reps with Sam?...HUH?

Bailey, IMO, does not warrant those additional reps. IF anyone WILL supplant Pettis, it will be Quick. This wasn't as much about Bailey, as it was about Softli NOT liking Pettis.

Softli loves to find HIS guys, and he says whatever he has to, in order to promote his agenda. Saying Bailey doesn't get reps with Sam couldn't be further from the truth. Preseason games or not.

Too much is being made of the "depth Chart" with this group of receivers. They ALL are gonna be counted on to play a big role in what they want to do this year. I could care less who the "starter" is. I want to see them put in situations that they all can succeed.

Well said.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
albefree69 said:
I think Quick takes over from Pettis. Eventually.

Me too. Quick, Givens and Austin will be our top guys sooner than later.

Who knows? Pettis had a drop, but who is to say he won't come on strong?

Givens
Austin
Pettis/Quick
Bailey
Radaway
Helmick

That's how I see it. I sure hope Radaway and Helmick make it to our PS.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
They are all going to play, it will just depend on the situational match up. That is how this team is being built.

lockdnram21

Legend
I want to see bailey go against some of the 1st string cbs before we anoint him starter. I think he is slot receiver. And like somebody else said I think quick will get a shot at starting first.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
max said:
CoachO said:
max said:
Softli said today that Bailey should be in with the ones over Pettis. Wants to see him get more time with Sam; and let's not wait until the 3rd preseason game. Get him time now.

I tend to agree. I think we know what we've got in Pettis. And I would like to see how consistent Bailey is playing with Sam under game conditions. I believe Bailey will start sooner or later this year. What say you?

This is the type of thing that makes me wonder what Softli is watching during practice, if he is watching at all.

BOTH BAILEY and QUICK are getting plenty of reps with the "1's" in that they are rotating constantly with Pettis and Givens. He say he wants Bailey to get more reps with Sam?...HUH?

Bailey, IMO, does not warrant those additional reps. IF anyone WILL supplant Pettis, it will be Quick. This wasn't as much about Bailey, as it was about Softli NOT liking Pettis.

Softli loves to find HIS guys, and he says whatever he has to, in order to promote his agenda. Saying Bailey doesn't get reps with Sam couldn't be further from the truth. Preseason games or not.

Too much is being made of the "depth Chart" with this group of receivers. They ALL are gonna be counted on to play a big role in what they want to do this year. I could care less who the "starter" is. I want to see them put in situations that they all can succeed.

I think you're off a bit on Softli's point. He was saying Bailey should get time with Sam in the preseason games, not just practice. Some guys do look great in camp practices but never seem to bring that over to actual games.

I saw Pettis make great catches and bad drops last year, his 2nd year. And then again he drops a very catchable ball against the Browns. It's his 3rd year, and he's a plodder (I quote Bucky on this label), Pettis shouldn't be starting regardless of Softli's agenda.

So maybe Quicks comes on and takes that starting spot, fine. If not, I expect Bailey will be better for us than Pettis.
:plus1:

stewymark

Sgt. Ram said:
Bailey seems to have the "it" factor. I cannot explain it. It is just a gut feeling.
Exactly....For some reason I have the feeling he's gonna be a great receiver in the nfl. I'm so glad he's playing for us.

Memphis Ram

Legend
• Rookie receiver Stedman Bailey had another strong practice in what is now turning into a long line of them. He was essentially perfect in one-on-one drills and continued to get open and catch everything thrown his way in team drills. It remains to be seen if he can do it against the top corners but he’s having his way with the backups on a regular basis.

• To balance out Bailey’s success, Rams safety Rodney McLeod had a strong practice. He got beat early in one-on-one drills but bounced back with textbook coverage on his next three repetitions. He capped it off with in an interception in 7-on-7 work.

<a class="postlink" href="http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/106399/jeff-fisher-says-bernie-kosar-issue-dead" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/ ... issue-dead</a>

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
Memphis Ram bringing gifts:
• Rookie receiver Stedman Bailey had another strong practice in what is now turning into a long line of them. He was essentially perfect in one-on-one drills and continued to get open and catch everything thrown his way in team drills. It remains to be seen if he can do it against the top corners but he’s having his way with the backups on a regular basis.

• To balance out Bailey’s success, Rams safety Rodney McLeod had a strong practice. He got beat early in one-on-one drills but bounced back with textbook coverage on his next three repetitions. He capped it off with in an interception in 7-on-7 work.

Great stuff to hear! :bg:

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
I watched him a bit in college last year, I got quite enamored by the firepower of the WV offense and actually thought he had a chance to be a better pro than Geno or even Tavon. he is a more prototypical wide out, really smooth and rangy with route running skill.
I really hope I eat my words and he is great and Tavon is special.
My vote though is next year, Pettis by all accounts has had a great off season and it is his job to lose. If he does lose it I think the coaching staff are really behind Quick. No matter what happens Injuries not withstanding I believe that too much time will elapse this season for Bailey to win the start over Pettis and Quick.
Although like previously mentioned it will be more of a title than a factor. They will all play and if Bailey plays well he will play a lot. There is only 1 ball and multiple receivers on any given play. Play well and get targeted by Sam that is what We really should hope for

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
A55VA6 said:
Season Opener. Givens and Bailey. Tavon Austin in the slot.
That's how this team SHOULD be. And rotate Quick and Pettis in frequently.

I feel this team will do alot of 4-5 wide.
would we be the only team in the league with a starting wr set all under 6'?

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
Stranger said:
A55VA6 said:
Season Opener. Givens and Bailey. Tavon Austin in the slot.
That's how this team SHOULD be. And rotate Quick and Pettis in frequently.

I feel this team will do alot of 4-5 wide.
would we be the only team in the league with a starting wr set all under 6'?

Bruce, Holt, Az, Proehl were all 6' and under

WvuIN02

Starter
The below excerpt was posted 2 hours ago from Stlouisrams.com

In the team’s daily routine of 1-on-1 drills between wide receivers and defensive backs in the red zone, WR Stedman Bailey stole the show as he finished the period in perfect form. Bailey affirmed his sure handedness when he came away with three touchdown receptions.

I think he will be starting before you know it :ww:

CoachO

Hall of Fame
WvuIN02 said:

In the team’s daily routine of 1-on-1 drills between wide receivers and defensive backs in the red zone, WR Stedman Bailey stole the show as he finished the period in perfect form. Bailey affirmed his sure handedness when he came away with three touchdown receptions.

What does this really tell you? He beat 3 UDFA CBs in a ONE on ONE drill where they have the entire field to cover wih no pass rush. The OFFENSE is suppose to win this drill.

Can we get a little perspective here?

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
CoachO said:
WvuIN02 said:

What does this really tell you? He beat 3 UDFA CBs in a ONE on ONE drill where they have the entire field to cover wih no pass rush. The OFFENSE is suppose to win this drill.

Can we get a little perspective here?

Isn't Brandon McGee also mixed in with the 2s?