When does Steadman Bailey start?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

When does Bailey start at WR2?

• Season opener

Votes: 11 16.2%
  • Before the 4th game

Votes: 14 20.6%
  • By mid-season

Votes: 18 26.5%
  • 2nd half of the season

Votes: 5 7.4%
  • Not until next year

Votes: 14 20.6%
  • Never - he's WR3 or WR4

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • Never - he's a career backup

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Softli said today that Bailey should be in with the ones over Pettis. Wants to see him get more time with Sam; and let's not wait until the 3rd preseason game. Get him time now.

I tend to agree. I think we know what we've got in Pettis. And I would like to see how consistent Bailey is playing with Sam under game conditions. I believe Bailey will start sooner or later this year. What say you?

A55VA6

Legend
Season Opener. Givens and Bailey. Tavon Austin in the slot.
That's how this team SHOULD be. And rotate Quick and Pettis in frequently.

I feel this team will do alot of 4-5 wide.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
albefree69 said:
I think quick takes over from Pettis. Eventually.

I think Quick passes Pettis eventually, but I think Pettis gets passed by Bailey sooner.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
max said:
Softli said today that Bailey should be in with the ones over Pettis. Wants to see him get more time with Sam; and let's not wait until the 3rd preseason game. Get him time now.

I tend to agree. I think we know what we've got in Pettis. And I would like to see how consistent Bailey is playing with Sam under game conditions. I believe Bailey will start sooner or later this year. What say you?

This is the type of thing that makes me wonder what Softli is watching during practice, if he is watching at all.

BOTH BAILEY and QUICK are getting plenty of reps with the "1's" in that they are rotating constantly with Pettis and Givens. He say he wants Bailey to get more reps with Sam?...HUH?

Bailey, IMO, does not warrant those additional reps. IF anyone WILL supplant Pettis, it will be Quick. This wasn't as much about Bailey, as it was about Softli NOT liking Pettis.

Softli loves to find HIS guys, and he says whatever he has to, in order to promote his agenda. Saying Bailey doesn't get reps with Sam couldn't be further from the truth. Preseason games or not.

Too much is being made of the "depth Chart" with this group of receivers. They ALL are gonna be counted on to play a big role in what they want to do this year. I could care less who the "starter" is. I want to see them put in situations that they all can succeed.

Sgt. Ram

the present moment is all you will ever have
Bailey seems to have the "it" factor. I cannot explain it. It is just a gut feeling.

A55VA6

Legend
Sgt. Ram said:
Bailey seems to have the "it" factor. I cannot explain it. It is just a gut feeling.
Agreed. I have a feeling about him. He's going to be real good.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
CoachO said:
max said:

This is the type of thing that makes me wonder what Softli is watching during practice, if he is watching at all.

BOTH BAILEY and QUICK are getting plenty of reps with the "1's" in that they are rotating constantly with Pettis and Givens. He say he wants Bailey to get more reps with Sam?...HUH?

Bailey, IMO, does not warrant those additional reps. IF anyone WILL supplant Pettis, it will be Quick. This wasn't as much about Bailey, as it was about Softli NOT liking Pettis.

Softli loves to find HIS guys, and he says whatever he has to, in order to promote his agenda. Saying Bailey doesn't get reps with Sam couldn't be further from the truth. Preseason games or not.

Too much is being made of the "depth Chart" with this group of receivers. They ALL are gonna be counted on to play a big role in what they want to do this year. I could care less who the "starter" is. I want to see them put in situations that they all can succeed.

I think you're off a bit on Softli's point. He was saying Bailey should get time with Sam in the preseason games, not just practice. Some guys do look great in camp practices but never seem to bring that over to actual games.

I saw Pettis make great catches and bad drops last year, his 2nd year. And then again he drops a very catchable ball against the Browns. It's his 3rd year, and he's a plodder (I quote Bucky on this label), Pettis shouldn't be starting regardless of Softli's agenda.

So maybe Quicks comes on and takes that starting spot, fine. If not, I expect Bailey will be better for us than Pettis.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Sgt. Ram said:
I've felt that way all along. Pettis will be a rotation/situational guy. Quick will be pressed hard by Bailey at some point this season. I voted at the midway point.

I just feel that Quick won't really arrive until next season. Bailey will be ready first IMO.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
CoachO singing my tune:

I agree with all of that.

I'm not sure if I've said that I don't like Softli on this board but let me say it now. I don't respect Softli's opinion on almost anything. I feel like he always has an agenda and furthermore, he's in constant suck up mode in the hopes of getting back into the game in some capacity and/or getting tighter with the Rams FO.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
No public polls on this board?
Fess up fellas...whats your vote? Dont hide :ww:

CoachO

Hall of Fame
max said:
CoachO said:
max said:

I think you're off a bit on Softli's point. He was saying Bailey should get time with Sam in the preseason games, not just practice. Some guys do look great in camp practices but never seem to bring that over to actual games.

I saw Pettis make great catches and bad drops last year, his 2nd year. And then again he drops a very catchable ball against the Browns. It's his 3rd year, and he's a plodder (I quote Bucky on this label), Pettis shouldn't be starting regardless of Softli's agenda.

So maybe Quicks comes on and takes that starting spot, fine. If not, I expect Bailey will be better for us than Pettis.

While I wont disagree with your assessment on Pettis, for me, I could care less who starts. I care about how they use ALL of these guys. In much the same fashion as the RB situation, this group of WRs all being something unique to the mix.

Pettis certainly is a huge part of what they can become as a unit. He has earned the role. He is a very reliable target in the RedZone. He is clutch on 3rd down. He USUALLY is very consistent in catching the football.

Say what you want about Bailey, he IS STILL A ROOKIE. For me, and I already know this will looked upon as a slam, its not..... He is Brandon Gibson with much better hands. He can do all of the things that Gibson did, AND catch the ball.

For all the grief Gibson took because he was miscast as a "starter", he turned into a very serviceable WR, who could make the circus catch on occasion, was just fast enough to get open when he had to.

Bailey, to me, does all of this, and yes, he has exceptional hands. But lets not make him into Isaac Bruce just yet.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I'll say midseason. He's gonna be the Trumaine Johnson of WRs this year. Gonna have Austin Pettis play then eventually he'll get moved up.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Yeah - I think I'm with CoachO on this one. I don't even know that I'll pay attention to who is starting at WR this season. I think they will all share a lot of snaps. I will be interested more in how they use the different players. It's all very interesting to me because I don't see two receivers on our team with the same skill set. I think Bailey will get significant minutes by the middle of the season. Don't know if he will ever be a "starter" this season but I also don't really care. I'm guessing he'll make some plays for us this season but then so will Givens, Quick, Tavon, Cook, and Pettis.

That all being said, I voted by mid season. I think there very well may be defenses where Bailey's skill set presents a better mis-match than say Quick for example. If that is the situation, I could see them starting him.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I voted "next year" but like CoachO and 503 I'm not sure it matters in this offense.

Personally, I expect Quick to get the starting nod opposite Givens come week 1.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
CGI_Ram said:
I voted "next year" but like CoachO and 503 I'm not sure it matters in this offense.

Personally, I expect Quick to get the starting nod opposite Givens come week 1.
Me too, Bailey may start this year because of injuries, but IMO we're not gonna see two rookies starting otherwise.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
CoachO said:
max said:
CoachO said:
max said:

While I wont disagree with your assessment on Pettis, for me, I could care less who starts. I care about how they use ALL of these guys. In much the same fashion as the RB situation, this group of WRs all being something unique to the mix.

Pettis certainly is a huge part of what they can become as a unit. He has earned the role. He is a very reliable target in the RedZone. He is clutch on 3rd down. He USUALLY is very consistent in catching the football.

Say what you want about Bailey, he IS STILL A ROOKIE. For me, and I already know this will looked upon as a slam, its not..... He is Brandon Gibson with much better hands. He can do all of the things that Gibson did, AND catch the ball.

For all the grief Gibson took because he was miscast as a "starter", he turned into a very serviceable WR, who could make the circus catch on occasion, was just fast enough to get open when he had to.

Bailey, to me, does all of this, and yes, he has exceptional hands. But lets not make him into Isaac Bruce just yet.

No one said Bailey is even remotely close to Bruce. That's hyperbole on your part.

And if Gibson has great hands then he'd be a valuable WR instead of a bum, to use Faulk's label.

Vince Lombardi and Belichick said the same thing about WRs. Their main job is to get open and catch the ball. If Bailey does both of those things very well, he'll be a step up from Pettis regardless of whether he's a rookie or not.

I just don't see all these WRs getting significant playing time to the point where a WR5 like Pettis becomes a huge part of the offense. Sure, Pettis can be some sort of role player, catch a ball here and there. But how many WR5's in this league make huge contributions? Just doesn't make sense to me.

fastcat

Pro Bowler
I think if quick continues to play like he did Thursday, he will be a rotational starter with Pettis. Givens is the clear cut #1. Austin in the slot, and Bailey getting plenty of pt. All of these guys are gonna play, I can't see none of them not getting a few targets a game at the very least. With givens getting the lions share of the targets. We may just be in a position to have a very good problem which we couldn't say for about 5 or so years. I personally don't care who starts all long as they catch the ball when it hits their hands... I don't want to relive the 2010 and 11 seasons.

I can see all wrs finishing with 400-800 yds and givens over 1k

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Based on what I've seen so far, and the more I read and understand about how completely dedicated he is to improving his craft, I believe he'll be a season opening starter. He won't get a ton of snaps, but I think he'll absolutely be folded into the offense.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
X said:
Based on what I've seen so far, and the more I read and understand about how completely dedicated he is to improving his craft, I believe he'll be a season opening starter. He won't get a ton of snaps, but I think he'll absolutely be folded into the offense.

That's kinda how I feel. Sure, I'm worried about the rookie thing. And I'm very interested in how he is doing with his routes.

CoachO called him Gibson with good hands. I think he can be better than that if he can run great routes.