What to do with Brian Quick?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

What to do with Brian Quick?

• Give him another shot

Votes: 50 42.4%
  • Time to move on

Votes: 68 57.6%

• Total voters

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
He's a FA. It's not going to take much to sign him. Or is it time to move on?

I understand the frustration with Quick... 4 years of promise, with little production to show for it.

We spent a primo draft pick on the guy, but is that reason enough to cling to the hope he'll break out?

Do we concede to the fact that his ceiling is as a depth WR?

How much of Quick's lack of production can be pinned on the fact that nobody is particularly excelling in this offense and with these QB's?

Quick showed considerable promise early 2014. His shoulder injury ended that season, and by all accounts was serious enough to be considered career threatening.

Then there is this from the Rams website;

In the midst of a breakout season in 2014, Quick had already established career highs in catches (25), receiving yards (375) and touchdowns (three) when he suffered a career-threatening shoulder injury in a Week 8 loss at Kansas City. Still working his way back to top form, Quick played in 13 games and made three starts this season, finishing with 10 catches for 102 yards.

“He spent the whole offseason rehabbing, so he didn’t get to spend (time) preparing from a football standpoint,’’ Fisher said. “I think he was set back. But he’s healthy now; he’s lucky to be playing. … He needs to have a really good offseason this year and become much more consistent.’’

So... What do we do? He's only 26yrs old.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Bring him back on the cheap and make him compete. Prior to his injury on '14 he did everything we would want from a WR. He struggled this past season but every WR we had did for most of the season.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Time to move on. He's not the future of this corps. Not even the present, really. Time to get some actual upgrades.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
From what I've seen from him on the field during the last half of this season... I'd wish him well and thank him for his hard work. I wouldn't offer him another chance as a Ram.

Ram Man

Rookie
Best of luck to Quick. Probably better for all to let him move on and see if he can have success elsewhere.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
I have no problem bringing him back on the cheap as a #4-5 guy. But we do have to be realistic, you can't have a team full of those type of guys. Tavon is likely our #2/3 receiver, assume Britt is back as #2/3 receiver, we all assume that the Rams are going to sign a guy or draft a guy to be a #1, Marqez is likely to be kept as a #5/6 guy. So 3 spots already filled, 1 spot he can't get (#1 WR), leaves 1-2 spots where he might compete for a job, depending on how they like guys on the PS or if they find someone else of "high-potential" in the FA (another Britt type who is cheap on a prove it contract), or any WR taken late in the draft.

No one should assume that Quick is going to step up or even get much chance to become a #2/3 receiver to start the season, and he is likely to only get a shot at it if we have injuries higher up the depth chart (I say this because as a #4-5 he just isn't going to get the snaps to displace Britt and they aren't going to displace Austin....)

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
The gut reaction is of course bring him back, I'm a big fan of him, it's not like he's going to break the bank. I want to give him a shot to come back from the injury, pick up where he left off and those flashes of #1 potential we've seen can finally blossom. But reality is there are only so many roster spots. In an environment where roster spots are so crucial every guy on the roster has to produce wins, not just have potential. I was shocked to see Quick played 37% of offensive snaps, I thought he barely played, but no he was out there, just invisible. Compare that to Marquez who played half as many snaps as Quick yet had more catches than Quick. A guy like Marquez's production needs to be the last receiver to make the roster just because of his special teams contribution, we don't have the luxury to carry potential with the worst passing game in the NFL.

Last edited:

fearsomefour

Legend
Assuming Britt stays the Rams will have him, Austin and Marquez coming back.
I see no harm in signing Quick on the cheap. Marquez was a good find in terms of ST play. The Rams are going to have to add several WRs. Resigning Quick would not preclude drafting a WR or two or bringing in another FA.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
25/375 equates to 50/750 for the year. OK, but nothing special. I think he's had his chance.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Resign the kid cheap

Then the new OC can stop imagining Tavon Austin is anything more than a gadget player and replace Tavon with some actual WR's

Draft 2 stud WR's - Boyd and Carroo

Britt, Boyd, Carroo, Quick, Marquez

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
25/375 equates to 50/750 for the year. OK, but nothing special. I think he's had his chance.
Actually it was 70/1100.
He played in 7 games in 2014. But you have to assume his productive would have progressed as the season went on.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Move on. Please...for the love of God...move on.

We need some proven vet WRs on this team, and a new crop of young guys.

Stel

Starter
Hard to say without knowing what was going on with him this season (not sure about his health). Quick took the third most snaps by a wide receiver (behind Austin and Britt). He was on the field for 351 snaps but was targeted only 32 times. Again, only Austin(86) and Britt (72) were ahead of him. Our wide receivers were targeted only 258 times all season (and 86 of those were Austin, so I'm not sure they all should really count as WR targets). That said, at vet minimum he at least knows the system and QBs to be the 4th or 5th WR behind Britt, Austin and the WR to be named later.

Moostache

Rookie
Brian Quick is a bust, pure and simple. Add to that the Rams inability to bring in ANY WR of quality beyond bottom of the barrel in the last decade and its easy to see why the offense is such a joke. Time to move on...if he wants to sign at the veteran minimum and try to win a job, Id let him, otherwise thanks for your effort and good luck kid.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
At most, resign him at a vet minimum and use him as depth. Give him a chance to compete, but either way, we still need to go out and get other WR's. IMO, we need to somehow get at least one other decent vet this offseason and draft someone else as well.

I like Quick was thrilled by his emergence last season prior to the injury ... but man, it really set him back bad and makes me wonder if he can ever get to his 2014 pre-injury level again.

If they let him walk, I'll wish him well but will understand the Rams decision.

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
On a cheap deal yes I would bring him back I think he can produce given a decent Qb and OC.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
How much of Quick's lack of production can be pinned on the fact that nobody is particularly excelling in this offense and with these QB's?
This exactly...it's not like we have some other-worldly numbers by any other player, particularly receivers, on the team. I blame it on the system with the QB's....We've had chances to move the ball, even with the conservative system, but remain unable to execute.

Brian Quick....if we were bringing in a entirely new system, by all means move on. Since it remains the same, keep him. He still is the most physically gifted player we have at wr. Hands down.

I only wonder, why is it the Rams seem to need a certain kind of player to excel on offense? I have no doubt, if he was with Green Bay this weekend, they could use a player like Quick...or Britt...or even Cook....

Until we get a QB, every receiving position is almost impossible to evaluate.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
'
Actually it was 70/1100.
He played in 7 games in 2014. But you have to assume his productive would have progressed as the season went on.

Actually', it would be 57/800. Teams might have started double covering him as well.
Despite my post, I did vote to keep him - he's got freakish athleticism (total opposite of Cook). But something's definitely missing.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
I keep him on the roster and let him battle like a newly acquired mid level free agent with a 50% + chance of making it on the 2016 roster.
We really don't have much at wideout. Austin and he is best as a role player that you aren't trying to have run routes like a bigger more physical receiver like we were forced to. Britt at a fair price, whom is a good support player and can see many snaps and compliment if he isn't the only capable big receiver on the field most down. I love Marquez and thin he stays, he is fairly priced and a valuable asset especially on special teams but should be a 4th or 5th option at this stage. Welker has value at the right price for another season, he brings leadership and savviness.
Beyond that I don't see anyone on the roster as necessarily being a must sign. We need at least 2 new contributing faces IMO one downfield threat and one tough sure handed guy over the middle that is reliable on 3rd down and can run routes.