What is the mystery with Pead?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ram4life11

Rookie
I'm sure theres 1000 nfl suffering mentally about during the season or during TC, but I'm sure there not going around complaining making it a excuse for there poor preference on and off the field..

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I'm sure theres 1000 nfl suffering mentally about during the season or during TC, but I'm sure there not going around complaining making it a excuse for there poor preference on and off the field..
Yeah, Pead's not doing that either. It's merely speculation by fans as to why he hasn't progressed as of yet.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Yeah, Pead's not doing that either. It's merely speculation by fans as to why he hasn't progressed as of yet.
Exactly. Maybe I missed it but I haven't even seen where Pead used his school schedule as an excuse either. Most of it seems to be speculation from fans and the media. I realize Pead talked about what could be thought of as depression but IIRC it was more about being depressed because he wasn't playing not that depression was why he wasn't playing.

FRO

Legend
Is there examples of RBs not contributing much until their 3rd year? Usually RBs have the smallest learning curve and the main thing they struggle with early is pass protection. I know Pead hasn't seen the field much, but there is a reason for that. There was a reason a UDFA got the reps when Stacy went out. I understand Pead has physical talent. Most guys picked in the second round do, but there is something missing with him.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Okay, but "mental problems" makes one think of Titus Young. I don't think maturity is as insurmountable as some believe. In fact, his maturity issues could be as simple as entitlement. I would hope the last 2 years have served as the proverbial 2x4 upside the head.
I've never "surmounted it"

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
And yet, Richardson was INACTIVE for the last 7 weeks of the season, while HEALTHY, and is now a NY JET. While Pead is still here and apparently still in their plans.
Which speaks to his obvious potential

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I have never seen where they've said anything like this about Pead. Can you show a link or is this just BS? Please don't go putting words in our coaches mouths in an attempt to bolster your position on a player. I don't think anyone has a problem with opinions for the most part but I think you will find this kind of fabrication to be pretty irritating to most here unless you can actually back it up. Clearly Pead spent most of his time on the field last year playing special teams. But I'm going to go out on a limb here and say the coaches did not and would not say what you are alleging.

Pead is what he is. We are going to see if he puts it together this season. I think it is pretty obvious that the coaches saw more upside in Pead than DR or they would have kept DR and released Pead. Is it just a special teams role and emergency back-up? Maybe. I doubt it but that is just my guess. To my knowledge the coaches haven't said anything that would rule out the idea of him playing a role in the offense this year. If they have, I will eat crow but you're going to have to provide the link.
I think Pead has the tools, and skills, physically, to be an ideal 3rd down back. Pass pro? Check. Good hands? Check. He started out behind the curve, by his own fault. I hope he turns it around. He's a good fit for a 3rd down, passing down, back.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
At least Pead has a lot of miles left on his legs for a 3rd year back. :whistle:

Speeps

Starter
It's Peads mental makeup. The coaching staff doesn't trust him. He is talented yes, but he was immature. I think the reason he is still on the roster is because they realize he has talent and are willing to help him mature. I expect him to be on this roster next year.

Athos

Legend
Now, what happened after that, none of us really know. There were reports of Pead being late for a position meeting, which coming off the heels of his suspension, most likely put him in the proverbial doghouse. I get all of that. But again, this is more a sign of immaturity and being "stupid". But from what has be discussed (at least publicly) by Fisher, he managed to dig his way out of the doghouse and found ways to get on the field and contribute.

I will be the first to admit, he needs to show up (on time) with the determination that is necessary to show he belongs, and let his talent dictate. I used to tell my players, if you want to playing time, make it impossible for the coaches to take you out of the game. Do your job, and your ability will show you belong. If he does that, then he will be the player he was drafted to be. If he doesn't, he wont be here.

I get that, but at this point, I think he's just too little too late for this team. Part of that may very well be his slow grasp because he was one of the last to come into camp because of Cincy, but at the same time, like you said, he was afforded every opportunity to prove himself. When you are given that, and screw it up through missed meetings and suspensions, you aren't going to be given the benefit of the doubt anymore.

And clearly Fisher has gone hard after RBs since arriving. He found a great 5th rounder and a great UDFA. Now they spend a 3rd on a RB when they could have gone another needed direction when quality players were still there.

I get Pead's talents as a blocker in the passing game, but at what point is it worth it to keep that RB when all he can do is pass block and play special teams?

Stacy is a for sure. Benny likely as well, especially as it seems NOW is when he's fully healthy and 100%. Then Mason. Definitely not enough reps for Pead for this team and I imagine we only keep 3 RBs, though 4 is definitely doable as Pead is a ST. But at this point, unless he absolutely explodes in camp and pre-season, he won't see the field much, if at all, as a RB.

In that case, he's pretty much a 2nd round bust in a 2nd round that had some damn good quality talent available.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I get that, but at this point, I think he's just too little too late for this team. Part of that may very well be his slow grasp because he was one of the last to come into camp because of Cincy, but at the same time, like you said, he was afforded every opportunity to prove himself. When you are given that, and screw it up through missed meetings and suspensions, you aren't going to be given the benefit of the doubt anymore.

And clearly Fisher has gone hard after RBs since arriving. He found a great 5th rounder and a great UDFA. Now they spend a 3rd on a RB when they could have gone another needed direction when quality players were still there.

I get Pead's talents as a blocker in the passing game, but at what point is it worth it to keep that RB when all he can do is pass block and play special teams?

Stacy is a for sure. Benny likely as well, especially as it seems NOW is when he's fully healthy and 100%. Then Mason. Definitely not enough reps for Pead for this team and I imagine we only keep 3 RBs, though 4 is definitely doable as Pead is a ST. But at this point, unless he absolutely explodes in camp and pre-season, he won't see the field much, if at all, as a RB.

In that case, he's pretty much a 2nd round bust in a 2nd round that had some damn good quality talent available.

A couple of things about your post I would like to respond to.

Its not really fair to lump the missing meetings and the suspension together as they happened at different times. The offense that garnered the suspension actually occurred sometime the previous year, and it wasn't addressed until training camp of 2013.

He was given all the reps that first training camp, I didn't say he was given every opportunity. As long as Jackson was here, the best he would have had to hope for was the role that eventually went to Richardson in 2012. And I kind of eluded as to what happened once Richardson got his chance, Fresh legs, and was noticeably quicker than any other back, and skill player at that point in camp. So its easy to see why he "won" the backup job at that point.

The other point you made was asking at what point does his pass blocking skills not be enough to keep him around any longer. I'd say, simply until they have someone they feel they can trust to get the job done. Unless or until Stacy/Cunningham improve dramatically, they aren't there yet. And Mason has little to no experience or has not shown the ability to do that.

Look, I get that Pead is a polarizing member of this organization. There are those who just plain don't want him around anymore. But until either Fisher or Snead make that call, I will continue to think he has a role here, and can contribute.

Last edited:

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
Ah. There's a difference between the wisdom required to suppress one's immaturity, and the desire to never grow up.
Yeah you spend the first 16 years of your life wanting to "grow up" the rest of your life regretting it

GreenMays

UDFA
The Rams/ Fisher have given Pead 17 chances to run the ball during the regular season. He put up 75 yards for a 4.4 ypc average.

The majority of Pead's yardage has been late in blow out losses...

2013: 11 yard run down 24-0 DAL 3rd qtr.
2012: 19 yard run down 45-7 NE 4th qtr, under 6 minutes.
2012: 5 yard run down 45-7 NE 4th qtr, under 6 minutes.
2012: 8 yard run down 45-7 NE 4th qtr, under 6 minutes.

While I appreciate Pead's effort down 24+ points in the second half, it's just not a realistic indication of how he would/did perform against normal defenses. His ypc average is under 3 in competitive game situations.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
The majority of Pead's yardage has been late in blow out losses...

2013: 11 yard run down 24-0 DAL 3rd qtr.
2012: 19 yard run down 45-7 NE 4th qtr, under 6 minutes.
2012: 5 yard run down 45-7 NE 4th qtr, under 6 minutes.
2012: 8 yard run down 45-7 NE 4th qtr, under 6 minutes.

While I appreciate Pead's effort down 24+ points in the second half, it's just not a realistic indication of how he would/did perform against normal defenses. His ypc average is under 3 in competitive game situations.

Small sample sizes mean nothing.

At this point he's better out of the backfield on third and long. I saw that mentioned somewhere else in this ridiculously long thead. Seriously guys? This many replies on a thread about our current 4th RB?

@CoachO, you were right...Pead is a polarizing figure.