What is the mystery with Pead?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Athos

Legend
It always bothers me when posters make these sort of statements about a player. How can you possibly know that? Are you sitting in the meetings? Have you sat down and had an in depth conversation with said player to form a legitimate evaluation to be able to stand by a statement about a player's "mental aspects"?

Why make the statement? I just don't get it!!!!

Pretty sure there was an article after Pead's rookie year that all but touched on Pead's lack of being all there mentally as to why he rode the bench. He expected the job to be handed to him as a 2nd rounder, and when he stunk up the joint and didn't do what the coaches wanted, he pouted. In fact, he all but admitted he'd go to his house and sit in the dark if I remember correctly.

Seems to back up him not being all there mentally, from people actually around him. Not sure why you need to be so hard and heavy in defending every Ram player. Many are gonna bust. Pead's time as a Ram seems to be dwindling though with the drafting of Mason, who'll, between Benny, get most of the reps pre-season I imagine to see what they can do.

And as for Pead and his #s. Small sample sizes cannot be extrapolated out like that. People really think Pead is a #1 back? At most he's the change of pace guy who blocks. His vision has shown to be poor. Great first step. Just doesn't know where to go.

Better rush average? What non-nonsensical drivel. He had 10 attempts in 2012. One of those went for 19. He best after that was 7. I'd hardly hang my hat on his "#s" in a Patsy blowout in the UK.

And Stacy was one of our only offensive weapons when Sam went down and teams focused on stopping him and he still pretty much averaged 4ypc.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Some situations just don't work out for some people. If he doesn't excel in pre-season I suspect he's a goner. I also think he has the talent to play. Just not here.

Yeah, that's the sad thing. Sometimes the only thing that will wake a guy up is being let go by their first team. I honestly think that's what happened to Marshall Faulk of all people. There were reports from Indy that he was a real diva there. Never was a problem for the Rams thankfully.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
For those who are optimistic on Pead, what do you see him as? An every down RB?

I like his ability in space. I want to see that utilized. I think he could be a decent slot WR. I always thought the same about Reggie Bush too, so what do I know.
I think Pead's only limits are mental,he has all the tools to be a feature back IMO ,fumbling is a concentration problem ,decision making is as well, I think if and when we cut him he could become special elsewhere and maybe that's what he needs is a fresh start.
Here's my whole thesis ,the combine, the pro days, the film all indicate the physical ability a player possesses, the mental part is what becomes the place where the separation occurs, whether it's the ability to absorb the playbook, the willingness to prepare, the inability to overcome the limits one places upon themselves where they refuse to take that next step or believe they are trying "hard enough" .
It's not what a coach tells a player that carries him through,it's what he tells himself.

Brian Smith HC of Mizzou wrestling has a pyramid he posts on the wall of the facility the bottom line the foundation is BELIEVE,believe if you do what your taught you will succeed,believe in it enough to do it when the time comes,believe when you train it will produce ,it all starts there and that's mental The NFL has a long history of talented athletes who never made it,the mental part is and always will be the place where the draft becomes a crap shoot.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Isaiah Pead Emerges From Misery
By Paul Dehner Jr. on April 22, 2013 2:12 PM | No TrackBacks

After one of the greatest careers by a running back in Cincinnati history, Isaiah Pead surprisingly slid down the St. Louis Rams depth chart after being selected 50th overall. He emerges one year later from a year of self-proclaimed misery with renewed hope to live up to lofty NFL expectations.

In the darkest moments, Isaiah Pead sat inside his expansive house tucked in the suburbs of St. Louis and bounced a tennis ball against the wall. Alone.

He'd lay on his bed, staring at the ceiling, music playing, with the loneliness only matched by the frustration.

Pead left the Unviersity of Cincinnati known as much for an outgoing personality and contagious laugh as explosive cuts and game-breaking speed.

Yet, one year after being selected by the Rams as the second running back taken in the 2012 NFL draft, he's recovering from a rookie year spent buried as deep within his own mind as his third spot on the depth chart.

"Honestly, I would call it miserable," Pead said. "Miserable life. Miserable four-five months."

High expectations crumbled to a rubble of humility by the time Pead packed his bags at season's end. The moment the Rams completed their 7-8-1 season with his exit interview, he arranged a flight and wasted no time bolting town and an empty house that symbolized unfulfillment.

"I took off and I didn't come back until it was time to," Pead said. "I just wanted to stay out of this area, I came back for a couple days to pack up then all the memories and walking back into my house by myself, had a couple days by myself, I just needed to get out of that area."

The second-round pick and 50th player selected overall sparingly touched the field, surprisingly beaten out by seventh-round pick Daryl Richardson early in the season, both behind veteran Steven Jackson. He played a total of 42 snaps. Pead carried 10 times for 54 yards and caught three passes for 16 yards. A mediocre half for him at UC, an entire healthy season in St. Louis.

"I was literally fed up with football," Pead said. "Not a quitter, not quitting, I was just tired of football. Tired of practice for the day and I would just lay there play video games and whatnot because it was so miserable, so stressful."

Pead can't explain how his situation reached these ugly depths. He honestly doesn't know. Twice during the year he says he arrived late for meetings, though, those discretions came after the backup position he thought would be his fell to the 252nd overall pick out of Abilene Christian. Combine disappointment on the field with an unattached life off it living away from a social scene, teammates, without a girlfriend and even having his grandparents take his dog back to Ohio in order to allow keener focus.

In uncertain surroundings and football suffocating every moment, the season snowballed.

Lessons like those learned by Pead last season can't be coached. They can't even be taught by parents. They can only be endured.

Long battles inside his own mind stemmed to simplistic roots. Not necessarily his roots racking up 4,009 yards receiving and rushing with the Bearcats. Or even breaking Archie Griffin's Ohio high school rushing records at Eastmoor Academy. His coping mechanism went deeper.

"I find myself taking all the way back to Day One when I first started playing football," Pead said. "I went through progressions with myself. What is going on? What am I doing wrong? What can I do right? How can I change this situation? (Moved) to the point I just stop worrying about it, just went to practice every day. Did the best I could."

He employed the same strategy as Season 2 began last week in St. Louis. Jackson moved on to the Falcons and a wide open running back room awaits with Pead in position to seize the day. Coach Jeff Fisher believes Pead can easily live up to his draft-pick status. ESPN Insider Adam Schefter even pegged Pead as his 2013 NFC breakout player during a recent interview session with Sports Illustrated's Peter King. Despite all that's gone wrong for Pead, the future remains ripe with opportunity.

"He just didn't get a chance because of the other two," Fisher said to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, referring to Jackson and Richardson. "But he'll get his opportunity this year. ... He's got a chance to make a lot of big plays for us."

Few understand better than Pead no position comes predestined, no opportunity given. That's especially true for a player with an empty year anchored to his 23-year-old body.

Months removed from the situation in the supportive grasps of friends and family helped provide perspective. He feels renewed and focused on improving his mental approach. Earlier to rise, earlier to bed, more time in the playbook, less time opting for fast food. All small aspects of being a pro which partially contributed to his disappointment.

"Whole new era, whole new attitude, whole new team, whole new Pead," he said.

Humbled and hopeful, Pead doesn't sugarcoat his expectations. He feels capable of breaking out into the player that made him a fan favorite and national star at UC, but admits no matter how hard he tries the decision ultimately rests in the hands of others.

He's come to terms with an unpredictable reality, only prefers to keep blinders on while tracking his personal finish line.

"Now I'm just getting back to what I know what got me here and that's being the best in the workout that day, going home, coming back and giving my best in the workout that day," Pead said. "My goals, I really don't have one. I want to win every day and be the best person every day."

He views the concept of opening the season as the starter more as a complete 180 than desired accomplishment. His goals don't stretch beyond a championship and a chance. Contemplating anything further drags him in the direction of last year's misery.

"I just want to play," Pead said. "I'm not even asking to be the starter, I just want to play."

Touching the field represents the next step toward officially burying those long nights staring at the ceiling or bouncing the tennis ball against the wall. A declared man of action rather than talk, he's finally able to start running toward daylight.

"I'm not going to sit and linger on something, but I am one to not forget about a situation," Pead said. "I am moving on from last year, last year is last year, but I have not forgot about last year. I wouldn't call it revenge, but the chip that I put on my shoulder is just a little bigger."

This article is from last off season, and he didn't really have that great of a year, basically near the same as his rookie year. I wonder how he handled it this off season? Hopefully better than after his rookie year...

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Pretty sure there was an article after Pead's rookie year that all but touched on Pead's lack of being all there mentally as to why he rode the bench. He expected the job to be handed to him as a 2nd rounder, and when he stunk up the joint and didn't do what the coaches wanted, he pouted. In fact, he all but admitted he'd go to his house and sit in the dark if I remember correctly.

Seems to back up him not being all there mentally, from people actually around him. Not sure why you need to be so hard and heavy in defending every Ram player. Many are gonna bust. Pead's time as a Ram seems to be dwindling though with the drafting of Mason, who'll, between Benny, get most of the reps pre-season I imagine to see what they can do.

And as for Pead and his #s. Small sample sizes cannot be extrapolated out like that. People really think Pead is a #1 back? At most he's the change of pace guy who blocks. His vision has shown to be poor. Great first step. Just doesn't know where to go.

Better rush average? What non-nonsensical drivel. He had 10 attempts in 2012. One of those went for 19. He best after that was 7. I'd hardly hang my hat on his "#s" in a Patsy blowout in the UK.

And Stacy was one of our only offensive weapons when Sam went down and teams focused on stopping him and he still pretty much averaged 4ypc.

Not sure if you are responding to someone else along with my post, because I have never tried to intimate that his production is anything more than it has been.

But as to the topic at hand, I see it more as immaturity than having "mental issues". I also, am basing my defense of him fro what I have seen firsthand at the last two training camps.

What is virtually never discussed, from their rookie camp, is that Pead came in behind the learning curve due to his college's trimester system, and was given almost ALL of the early training camp reps. All while Richardson sat on the sidelines nursing a strained hamstring. Jackson was not used much on practice, so Pead got almost 75% of the reps. I imagine in hindsight, it was both out of necessity, and an attempt to get him "caught up".

By the time Richardson was healthy enough to participate in practice, Pead and the rest the team had the proverbial "camp legs", and Richardson came in and was NOTICABLY quicker, had more burst and supplanted Pead entering the season. Fisher openly admitted, that once the season got underway, there just weren't enough reps to go around for 3 RBs, especially when one of them (Jackson) wanted to be the "bell cow" of the group.

Now, we get to last year's camp, and both Pead and Richardson alternated throughout the entire camp, sharing 1st unit reps from day one. But with the knowledge of his suspension looming, of course they were going to defer to Richardson as the "starter" entering the season.

Now, what happened after that, none of us really know. There were reports of Pead being late for a position meeting, which coming off the heels of his suspension, most likely put him in the proverbial doghouse. I get all of that. But again, this is more a sign of immaturity and being "stupid". But from what has be discussed (at least publicly) by Fisher, he managed to dig his way out of the doghouse and found ways to get on the field and contribute.

I will be the first to admit, he needs to show up (on time) with the determination that is necessary to show he belongs, and let his talent dictate. I used to tell my players, if you want to playing time, make it impossible for the coaches to take you out of the game. Do your job, and your ability will show you belong. If he does that, then he will be the player he was drafted to be. If he doesn't, he wont be here.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

And who is hanging their hat on his stats? The thread was a conversation. The statistics were used to point out there is some reason to think he hasn't really been given a fair chance and maybe there is some untapped potential their.

Describing peoples thoughts, comments, input or whatever you want to call it as Non-nonsensical drivel is about as rude as you can get. Fourteen posts and that's the kind of garbage your already dishing out to the community here? No thanks. Welcome to my ignore list buddy.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
But O maturity is mental ,I don't know how to separate them,I'm rooting HARD for Pead I think he's got star potential,but his head IMO is what's held him back so far,and if he never makes it I will always believe it's what defeated him.

Then again,I was allin on LaMichael James and he seems to have paralleled Pead and has fallen from favor in San Fran

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
If something is non-nonsensical, wouldn't that mean it makes sense?

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
But O maturity is mental ,I don't know how to separate them,I'm rooting HARD for Pead I think he's got star potential,but his head IMO is what's held him back so far,and if he never makes it I will always believe it's what defeated him.
Okay, but "mental problems" makes one think of Titus Young. I don't think maturity is as insurmountable as some believe. In fact, his maturity issues could be as simple as entitlement. I would hope the last 2 years have served as the proverbial 2x4 upside the head.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
I am incompletely unconfused,but I have a hunch that I'm certain all the real discussion in this thread is probably over.
Time for a nap.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I am incompletely unconfused,but I have a hunch that I'm certain all the real discussion in this thread is probably over.
Time for a nap.
Go get some nonugly sleep. Lord knows you need it. :D

Ram4life11

Rookie
Now, we get to last year's camp, and both Pead and Richardson alternated throughout the entire camp, sharing 1st unit reps from day one. But with the knowledge of his suspension looming, of course they were going to defer to Richardson as the "starter" entering the season.

They split carries all of TC and PRESEASON last year, and for you to under play Drich's performance of beating out Pead again in year 2, by saying the coaches only deferred to DRich because of Peads suspension is completely false.
Drich had a great TC and Preseason and easily won the starting job,
While Pead struggled in all area's except maybe blocking. He lacked vision, quickness, and ball security as he did fumble. He was also embarrassing as a KR averaging about 10 yards per return, while also fumbling the ball but recovering it in the crowd...
Long story short, Drich earned the starting job, Coaches didn't defer to him because of the suspension...

CoachO

Hall of Fame

They split carries all of TC and PRESEASON last year, and for you to under play Drich's performance of beating out Pead again in year 2, by saying the coaches only deferred to DRich because of Peads suspension is completely false.
Drich had a great TC and Preseason and easily won the starting job,
While Pead struggled in all area's except maybe blocking. He lacked vision, quickness, and ball security as he did fumble. He was also embarrassing as a KR averaging about 10 yards per return, while also fumbling the ball but recovering it in the crowd...
Long story short, Drich earned the starting job, Coaches didn't defer to him because of the suspension...

And yet, Richardson was INACTIVE for the last 7 weeks of the season, while HEALTHY, and is now a NY JET. While Pead is still here and apparently still in their plans.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
I thought Stacy and Cunningham both had a fumble last year.

True though, I think it's a confidence issue. That's why I think Fisher integrated him on special teams, to just get him playing football and build up his confidence.

On top of that he did get used in the backfield on third down situations and he at least did his job when put out there.

Does it all contribute to him taking on a much larger role for the team in 2014? I don't know, but the optimist says yes.

FRO

Legend
I think Stacy came late due to the graduation issue too. I don't think he was messed up by the learning curve.

I'm not bashing Pead supporters just like I don't bash Quick supporters. Optimism is a great trait to have and I wish I was an optimist. The guys have talent, but there are plenty of guys with talent that have failed. I never saw Pead as a starter, or primary back in a rotation. I saw him as a change of pace third down back. I think he can still be used as a receiver and be effective. I think he has a skill set that can be used.

Ram4life11

Rookie
And yet, Richardson was INACTIVE for the last 7 weeks of the season, while HEALTHY, and is now a NY JET. While Pead is still here and apparently still in their plans.
What's your point? My point is you were wrong about the coaches deferred to Drich because of Peads suspension. Is he really in the plans, they tried trading him before the draft, then they draft Mason... The coaches have also stated he's ntg more then a special teamer at best... In plans? I think not, he's a extra body there for TC

Ram4life11

Rookie
I thought Stacy and Cunningham both had a fumble last year.

True though, I think it's a confidence issue. That's why I think Fisher integrated him on special teams, to just get him playing football and build up his confidence.

On top of that he did get used in the backfield on third down situations and he at least did his job when put out there.

Does it all contribute to him taking on a much larger role for the team in 2014? I don't know, but the optimist says yes.
Yeah I believe your right they did all fumble last season....
I believe Stacey had 150 plus carries last year a fumble is expected...
Cunningham had 50 plus carries last year, u can expect a fumble about every so many carries...
But Pead only had about 10 carries and still managed to cough of up the ball... That's not expected