What is the mystery with Pead?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
Why has this guy been tossed to the side and never given a real chance? I don't get it.

Since coming into the league. The Rams/ Fisher have given Pead 17 chances to run the ball during the regular season. He put up 75 yards for a 4.4 ypc average. He had zero fumbles during those measly 17 attempts. He's also regarded as the best blocking back on the team by some of the camp watchers.

As much as I like Stacy. His numbers are inferior to Peads. So the question has to be asked why is Pead continuing to be a bench warmer while Fisher gives a fair opportunity to all the other backs on the team?

In fact every RB the Rams have had under contract since drafting Pead have been given more opportunities to play than Pead. And it doesn't make sense to say the reason is because of off the field issues. There are players on this team who have violated team and league rules. Some received suspensions and went right back into the lineup when they returned.

I think it's a huge blunder to not have found a way to use this guy by now. Especially on a talent deprived offense.

So what do you guys think is the story with Pead?

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I too think pead deserves more of a shot to show his talents and have no idea what exactly is holding him back. However, saying Stacy's numbers are inferior to peads is just silly.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
He must not be showing enough in practice. He has also not seemed that great to the naked eye in the preseason.

I'd like to see more of him, his skillset should fit in pretty nicely with Stacy and Mason.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I too think pead deserves more of a shot to show his talents and have no idea what exactly is holding him back. However, saying Stacy's numbers are inferior to peads is just silly.
Why is it silly when it's a fact? As it is Pead has better numbers. Would he maintain those numbers if he had the same number of carries as Stacy is the big question.

jjab360

Legend
Why is it silly when it's a fact? As it is Pead has better numbers. Would he maintain those numbers if he had the same number of carries as Stacy is the big question.
Better numbers how? If you mean YPC, Pead only average 3.0 YPC last year. Even if he did have a high YPC, it would be pretty silly to extrapolate 7 carries to the amount of carries Stacy had last year.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
I think what he is getting at is having fewer carries makes his numbers less impressive.

I mean, a guy can have 2 carries in his career...the first one goes for 100 yards, the 2nd one for 0. I wound't say you look at his 50 YPC average and say it's better than Adrian Petersons.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
Yeah. The point is that Pead's numbers are a small sample, AND that he hasn't been given a chance to show that he might be able to keep it going. The carries he got in the Dallas game were like an after-thought; the game was out of hand by the time they gave him the opportunity.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think what he is getting at is having fewer carries makes his numbers less impressive.

I mean, a guy can have 2 carries in his career...the first one goes for 100 yards, the 2nd one for 0. I wound't say you look at his 50 YPC average and say it's better than Adrian Petersons.
Exactly

RamsAndEwe

Rookie
I think Pead gets a shot at 3rd and long running back. Pead didn't drop a pass last year.

RAM$

UDFA
Hopefully Pead gets a lot of touches during preseason, like 10 carries a game. If he looks good maybe we do get a trade done for him if he's still in the doghouse.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Better numbers how? If you mean YPC, Pead only average 3.0 YPC last year. Even if he did have a high YPC, it would be pretty silly to extrapolate 7 carries to the amount of carries Stacy had last year.

The point is that Pead just sits there on the team unused. His numbers although a small sample are on par or even superior to the other RB's on the team who have been given chances to play. So the question is why wouldn't they increase the sample size on this guy and see if he can play. Maybe he isn't better but maybe he is. I'd give more than 17 carries over 2 years to find out.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
The mystery, right now, is just that. A mystery.
I don't think anyone *really* knows why he hasn't been given significant reps.
But I did ask Demoff, so we'll see what he says.

jjab360

Legend
The point is that Pead just sits there on the team unused. His numbers although a small sample are on par or even superior to the other RB's on the team who have been given chances to play. So the question is why wouldn't they increase the sample size on this guy and see if he can play. Maybe he isn't better but maybe he is. I'd give more than 17 carries over 2 years to find out.
Like I said, I'm still confused on what numbers you're talking about. As for why they haven't given him more chances, I'm sure they've given him plenty of chances. In practice. Also a ton of time in preseason in well. If they weren't impressed I don't see much of a reason to force him in the game in the regular season where it matters when you have guys who have already proven they can be capable NFL RBs in Stacy and Cunningham.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Thus far, in his limited rushing reps, he hasn't shown much vision though he'd probably fit far better in a Texans/Redskins type zone blocking scheme. But, I still say that he's a pretty good 3rd down back waiting to happen and could like the Patriots Shane Vereen who really didn't do much until his 3rd season. The way things sorta look it'll probably happen with another team.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Knowing that Fish and Company are willing to forgive past fuck ups like we saw with our players being forced to run the bleachers in SF... and then have their starting jobs back the next week leads me to believe that Pead ain't the sharpest tool in the shed. That would be my guess.

But we will more than likely never know the WHY in this Pead Mystery.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I'd take Stacy, Mason, and Cunningham over Pead, to be honest. Yogi Berra once said that 90% of baseball is the mental aspect. I think that applies to every sport, to be honest. Pead has never really shown that his mental aspect is all there. If push came to shove, I'd rather have Reynolds than Pead because of special teams. I know that he's a second round pick. I know that he has a lot of potential. But I don't see him taking carries away from Stacy and Mason, and I want Cunningham to get his fair share as well.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW

Normally I wouldn't argue, but Stacy had a ton of carries and had a 3.9 avg. So it really depends. I mean you can see the speed and ability he has but for whatever reason he hasn't had enough chances to show it.

That said Pead drives me nuts. I actually loved the pick and from a pure talent standpoint he IMO is #1 on the team. I think he's had some attitude issues that have kept him off the field more. This might be his last chance to impress on this team. I really wish he'd show up like he did in college.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Pead has never really shown that his mental aspect is all there. .

It always bothers me when posters make these sort of statements about a player. How can you possibly know that? Are you sitting in the meetings? Have you sat down and had an in depth conversation with said player to form a legitimate evaluation to be able to stand by a statement about a player's "mental aspects"?

Why make the statement? I just don't get it!!!!