What if Goff looks terrible, for the rest of the season...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
I don't think Fisher is a great coach but I think he's a brilliant OC away from being able to manage this squad into the playoffs for a few years in a row. I admire Fisher for willing to work with high risk personalities and keeping them focused on football, guys like Jenkins, Ogletree, Tru, Pac Man Jones,Britt, Higbee, McNair, Albert Haynesworth, etc
In general, I just get a sense that he's a coach players want to play for, which can be a double edged sword.
Bro.. I agree with you. I've been behind Fisher as long as the next guy but there comes a point when you have to realize the old mule, Fisher, is just too damn stubborn to change his philosophy. If he could get a real OC and just stay the fuck out of the way, we'd be consistently playoff bound IMO. Whether he can do that is the biggest question to the future direction of our team.

JackStraw

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
My biggest reason to support Fisher is keeping Greg Williams around and my irrational fear that whoever replaces him will set back this team another 3-5 years. I'm not prepared to go through another rebuilding phase. Also, Fisher's ability to prepare his team for divisional opponents is among the best in the NFL. Winning in AZ two years in a row and having a 4-1 record vs Seattle over past 5 games is borderline magic. My patience is just beginning to run thin because all of his draft picks are now in their prime, the team is healthy and the record isn't where it needs to be, I don't care how close some of the losses have been - gotta find ways to win those games.

No need to explain all of the negatives, i'm well aware I just choose not to stress over them.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
I've been a Rams fan before Fisher, and will be long after he's gone. I was told not to complain about previous coaches, yet none of those coaches brought a Superbowl. Until Fisher does better than 7 wins in a season, we have every right to complain. It gets really old getting your hopes up at the start of a season, only to be let down. Every single player in the NFL can play, it's on the coaches to get the most out of them. Blaming the players (who the coaches drafted/signed), while essentially giving the coaches a pass, is a losing mentality. While I do believe players need to be held accountable, it's also necessary to hold coaches accountable.

Fisher has been a head coach for 22 years, and has 6 playoff appearances. Find me another coach in the NFL that is no better than 8-8 that lasts 22 years in the NFL. It's time to hold him accountable.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Insanity, again IMO, is committing deplorable acts without taking into consideration the consequences
I'm sorry for the derail but I can't leave this just dangling without comment. Defining something like insanity isn't really an "IMO" thing, there are objective definitions. It means to be mentally ill or commit irrational acts etc (see exact definition). Everyone is free to have an "IMO" about what is an irrational act of course, but "deplorable" doesn't fit because that definition contains a moral judgment that an insane person wouldn't understand. It's the reason why there's that whole "not guilty by reason of insanity" thing, because society doesn't like to punish a person that doesn't have the mental capacity to understand his acts are criminal (or deplorable).
Betting black on roulette over and over and expecting different results is not very responsible, but it's not insane, it's actually a pretty reasonable expectation ;)
No, it's not reasonable at all. If red has come up 1,000 times in a row it is not reasonable to think black will be next. That's not how odds work.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
I'm surprised a mod hasn't shut this down yet...

Because then we would be accused of this...

giphy.gif

No what I was actually saying is that your post sounds like something some attention whore from post dispatch forum would post and that's
exactly what the post is.Garbage.

If you want to post a thought there's a better way to do it than labeling groups
of people and attacking them.You will find out quickly that that kind of BS doesn't
fly around here.

Ironically while lecturing a poster on proper ROD etiquette, you did the same thing you accused him of by using the terms "attention whore" and "garbage." Let's not go there.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Most of you 'Goff should have been playing since week 1' guys really rub me the wrong way.To me there were obvious reasons Goff wasn't given the ball.
I'm curious....what was this obvious reason? Because if any of it has to do with Case, after HIS performances, it's not a good reason. Case is one of the worst starting QBs in the NFL...there is no valid reason to not play a guy that probably could do better. No possible reason. None. The fact it took Fish 9 games to come to this conclusion baffles me.

I am not a Fisher apologist. I am a HC apologist in all sports. I've coached High School baseball for 5 years now in a town where there hasn't been raw talent outside of 1-3 kids every 2 years or so. It doesn't matter how much me and my assistants put into our coaching. At the end of the season, if a kid really struggles it's because he didn't want it bad enough. It's not my job to beg a player to increase their interest in the game. I shouldn't have tell them to go home and put in extra work. When I was their age I succeeded and my coaches had very little to do with it. Sports are like most careers, experience is the greatest teacher in the game.

As a coach, once you let your guard down and the kids see you as a cool guy it's almost becomes impossible to motivate them,I can get downright mean and they shake it off because what's really behind the curtain has already been exposed. On the contrary If you don't show your human side they think you're an icehole and will attempt to sabotage the program, because coach hates us.

At all levels in any sport all a coach can simply do is help their students who are passionate who actually want to be become better players. If the athletes don't care it's a wash.
HC apologist....Couple of things...I see coaches primary job as a motivator. Teacher of course, but who can motivate the athlete...to perform/compete/practice at his highest level. On a every day basis...
You say once they see you as cool...Would Fish fall into this category? Or, is it only the high school level when this is bad?

If Goff fails, he fails...I just would put out there, had he played in weeks 1, 2, 3, or 4...he'd have a better chance to succeed now. In the toughest part of the schedule. Yet we wasted 10 weeks on....your boy. Career backup...

tavian

Not me.I am waaaay uglier

giphy.gif

Ironically while lecturing a poster on proper ROD etiquette, you did the same thing you accused him of by using the terms "attention whore" and "garbage." Let's not go there.
I felt you're critique of my post was just hurtful and I am going to my room.

th

JackStraw

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm curious....what was this obvious reason? .
I think Goff may have struggled with the playbook and perhaps he had the yips .Again, I don't know why it took so long for him to play, but I think there was a huge red flag holding him out. Would love to know what the problem was but I believe there HAD to have been something, probably something kept hush hush to protect Goff/Team's image and hope he's taken care of it...why is that so difficult to believe???

I'm not a Keenum fan, I was simply content with him. I like a pitcher's duel.

For the record i'm not having fun in this thread:dizzy:. Just stop replying to anything I say.

Ellard80

Legend
Wellllll....

See we know keenum is (DELETED Really?)... Goff may be DELETED also... but he could also be good.

We need to find out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
Luckily for the most part I don't care what other people think so it doesn't bother me when we don't think the same way. Some like Fisher and some don't. Don't care either way.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I'm surprised a mod hasn't shut this down yet...
Not sure why we should. I may not agree with a lot of the posts or what appears to be the premise the OP is putting out there but I don't see a bunch of personal attacks either.

Last edited:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What if I see a three eyed albino tree frog in the bushes in my front yard this weekend?

Personally I think my question is something worth discussing more than a pessimistic view of our franchise QB in the making.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
I assume it'd be chalked up to either rookie play or seeing as no amount of mixing and matching and usage of his guys have made the Rams anything but mediocre on offense, it'll just continue to lend more credence to the idea that Fisher and offensive football mingle about as well as mongeese and snakes.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
I think Goff may have struggled with the playbook and perhaps he had the yips .Again, I don't know why it took so long for him to play, but I think there was a huge red flag holding him out. Would love to know what the problem was but I believe there HAD to have been something, probably something kept hush hush to protect Goff/Team's image and hope he's taken care of it...why is that so difficult to believe???

I'm not a Keenum fan, I was simply content with him. I like a pitcher's duel.

For the record i'm not having fun in this thread:dizzy:. Just stop replying to anything I say.

Every post you make is another day more that keeps @-X- from ever returning :LOL:

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
I'm confident Goff will exceed Keenum's production for the rest of this year. If he did look bad, hey he's learning on the job and should correct those mistakes quickly if he's worth anything. If he looked Gabbert bad, I'd have an open competition with Mannion next year. Then I'd draft a project who can really run and try and develop him.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
What if you are forced to see Rosie O'Donnell naked?
Sick bastard! I almost had to lock this thread for this one line.:puke:

Speaking about talking sports, I don't exactly hear any none Ram's fan talk about how Goff is going to end up being a great NFL QB. The consensus seems to be, 'man, the Rams freaked up' and I really hope all those mouths have to eat dogshit while watching a historic NFL renaissance occur in LA
And you are expecting to hear what exactly? The sheep in the media see one thing and keep regurgitating it. He hasn't played and was the #1 pick. He must be a bust. They have no more clue about Goff's abilities and future than any of us - probably less than many here.

IF my Aunt had a set of balls...

She'd be my Uncle.
Some of you may have never seen @Selassie I 's uncle:
57756452568bb64d78dd178ba0208dc2.jpg

Bro.. I agree with you. I've been behind Fisher as long as the next guy but there comes a point when you have to realize the old mule, Fisher, is just too damn stubborn to change his philosophy. If he could get a real OC and just stay the freak out of the way, we'd be consistently playoff bound IMO. Whether he can do that is the biggest question to the future direction of our team.
He's probably not going to change his philosophy but I'm also not sure he has the same sense of urgency as the fans. I would agree that as a fan, I'd like to see him get one. But I can't tell you we would be better or more quickly served by one of the other coaching options being floated out there. I'll be interested to see how it goes with Goff. I'm ok with a change at HC. I'm also ok with waiting to see what happens in '17 first.

giphy.gif

Exactly what I was thinking. Finger pointing can have an interesting side to it.

there is no valid reason to not play a guy that probably could do better. No possible reason. None. The fact it took Fish 9 games to come to this conclusion baffles me.
Actually there are and they have been mentioned numerous times. You can say you don't understand the reason or don't agree with the reasons being offered but it is still just your opinion. Until you coach a winning NFL franchise, your "no valid reason" argument doesn't hold a lot of water.