What if Goff looks terrible, for the rest of the season...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
They also said that about Ryan Leif, Akili Smth, Joey Harrington, Ryan Tannehill, Blake Bortles,David Carr, Tim Couch Jamarcus Russell and others in Goff's position.
No team bats 1000 in the draft.
You're failing to recognize the guys like Aikmen, Manning, Carr, Marriotta, Newton, Wilson, Wentz, Prescott, Rothlesburger. ......and so on. All guys that started their first year. Most started the first game of the year. Also. Most had some tough games early on, but grew into the position.

Goff is an incredibly smatmrt Football player. He wasn't just playing in a basic air raid offense in college. He would run variations of it in the huddle depending on the defense. Combining different routes and looks. All things he took upon himself to create.

Goff is the best QB prospect in this draft. And it was good draft for qb's.

Just enjoy the ride.

JackStraw

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
And Marcus Mariota, Jameis Winston, Russell Wilson, Andrew Luck, Cam Newton, Matt Ryan, Be Roethlisberger etc
Whats the point?
Basically that Goff did not appear to be a can't miss QB like the guys you mentioned. I think it's fair to say this years QB prospects were maybe the least exciting over the past 20 years.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Basically that Goff did not appear to be a can't miss QB like the guys you mentioned. I think it's fair to say this years QB prospects were maybe the least exciting over the past 20 years.
Are you trying to say that your list was "cant miss" prospects? That's silly

JackStraw

Rookie
Goff is an incredibly smatmrt Football player.

Goff is the best QB prospect in this draft. And it was good draft for qb's.

Just enjoy the ride.
The verdict is still out on whether Goff being an incredibly smart football player
This was not a great year for QBs. Goff/Wentz is nowhere close to Winston/Mariotta

Goff played great in the Pac 12. I don't know how much you've been paying attention to NCAAF this year but the level of defense in the Pac 12 is downright laughable compared to the Big Ten and SEC. That's been the narrative for the past 10 years.

Trust me, I HOPE I AM WRONG. I want Goff to be amazing. I want his number retired. I want him to shatter Aaron Rogers career statistics. I just have not seen anything for me to believe any of that is realistic .

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Really? less exciting than Ej Manuel and Geno Smith? Gaggert, Ponder, Locker? Tebow, Clausen? Russell, Quinn, Kolb? Young, Leinert, Cutler, Clemens? Carr Harrington, Ramsey? Pennington?Tony Banks?

Half of these players were in draft with one good starter QB. This draft has Wentz, Prescott playing good and we don't know what we have with Goff yet nor Lynch. Give him time before trying to figure out what excuse we should use.

JackStraw

Rookie
Are you trying to say that your list was "cant miss" prospects? That's silly
No. But they were all first round QBs, which are guys drafted expected to succeed in the NFL for many seasons.

No matter the position, first round draft picks generally don't reach expectations and lots of times don't get a second contract. I think a lot of it has to do with paying them so much money out of the gate. A 4th rounder has so much more incentive to commit to excellence. The potential to get a second contract is the greatest form of motivation.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Derek Carr looked bad his rookie season, Raiders took their lumps and managed to make an excellent QB out of him. Bottom-line is, don't judge a QB (or a team) based on one-year.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
The verdict is still out on whether Goff being an incredibly smart football player
This was not a great year for QBs. Goff/Wentz is nowhere close to Winston/Mariotta

Goff played great in the Pac 12. I don't know how much you've been paying attention to NCAAF this year but the level of defense in the Pac 12 is downright laughable compared to the Big Ten and SEC. That's been the narrative for the past 10 years.

Trust me, I HOPE I AM WRONG. I want Goff to be amazing. I want his number retired. I want him to shatter Aaron Rogers career statistics. I just have not seen anything for me to believe any of that is realistic .
Nobody has seen anything, because he hasn't played in an actual NFL game.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I'm not the one with over 20 posts bitching and moaning about Jeff Fisher and Case Keenum despite the two of them setting us up for finishing with our best record since 2006 and winning games vs two divisional rivals. Anyone who believes Rams beat both AZ and SEA with Goff at QB is downright crazy.

So by that logic, Nick Foles should still be starting. Oh, and for someone who hates bitching and moaning....there sure seems to be a lot of it coming from you on this thread. Jes sayin.

Oh, and I was not one of the people you targeted with this post either. I trusted fisher and crew to play the right guy every week.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No. But they were all first round QBs, which are guys drafted expected to succeed in the NFL for many seasons.

No matter the position, first round draft picks generally don't reach expectations and lots of times don't get a second contract. I think a lot of it has to do with paying them so much money out of the gate. A 4th rounder has so much more incentive to commit to excellence. The potential to get a second contract is the greatest form of motivation.
So many 1st rounders have made it, and some have not. Got it
What's the point of this thread again?

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
So many 1st rounders have made it, and some have not. Got it
What's the point of this thread again?
giphy.gif

Sleepy1711

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Whats not exciting about a QB and has peyton mannings footsteps, great pocket presence, killer arm, deadly accuracy? I've haven't been this excited about any Rams QB since warner.

They pretty much said Sam Bradford was exciting and look how that turned out.

It's damn exciting and I can't wait til this weekend to see glimpses of what is to come in the many many years ahead? I don't mind waiting a bit to have that, its not like freaking aikman or manning lit up the league in their first year.

JackStraw

Rookie
Oh, and for someone who hates bitching and moaning....there sure seems to be a lot of it coming from you on this thread. Jes sayin.
I came to the internet in a shitty mood. I'm already regretting a lot of things i've said but just needed to vent.
The blind optimism that Jared Goff on the bench is the reason Rams are only 4-5 really rustles my jimmies.

To make it clear, I want Goff to perform at a high level as much as anyone. But i'm not like some people who can't wait to say 'I Told you so' after Goff plays well or goes silent if Goff has a miserable rookie campaign.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Who are all you Goffaholics and Fisher haters going to blame it on? Fisher for not playing him earlier? The OL for not transforming into a legit force to be reckon with? Boras, a OC that may not make it past one full season at the position?

Most of you 'Goff should have been playing since week 1' guys really rub me the wrong way.To me there were obvious reasons Goff wasn't given the ball. Reasons that us fans are rightfully in the dark over and are in no position to criticize. None of us watch practice every day....'but the media said he was ready...get real...'

Doesn't it occur to any of you that maybe Fisher isn't the only coach who would have chosen to not play Goff? Can we acknowledge that maybe Snead screwed this one up or that like in Tennessee with Bud Adams Fisher was forced into taking a player he didn't believe was the answer for long term success in the league? Does it occur to anyone that Boras hasn't exactly proven himself as a respectable OC. Do we really want a rookie plugged into a system run by this guy, putting the kid into a position to fail, creating irreversible damage to the psyche affecting the long run of young JG's career? Rookies are fragile. Confidence is so importiant in this league.

I just think it's hacky to bitch and moan over the HC of your favorite team and not hold any of the talent accountable for their poor performance.

If you hate Fisher so bad, just stop being a fan of the team. He's our coach. We should be rooting for the man and supporting all the difficult decisions he's had to make.

With all of my heart I can honesty pound my chest and scream Let's go Gof! I'm rooting for the kid so much

I hope he shocks the world and carries this team to the dreaded 7 seed. Of course we would have been 12-4 if Goff started since day one. We obviously would have beaten DET(a game were Case undeniably played lights out), Buffalo, NYG, Carolina and SF.

Personally i'm looking forward to watching KB18 finish to year with 1200 yards and 8 tds. Watching Cooper become a major player. Seeing Tavon get balls fired at his chest 2 yards off the line of scrimmage allowing him to get into open space and burning his shoes off. Seeing Brian Quick put up a 200 yard game at Seattle leading the team to Victory. Witnessing Lance Kendricks transfrom into a top 5 pass catching TE. And finally reading about the FA WRs added to the lineup because that want to play playoff caliber football with the phenom Goff in beautiful LA.

You chalk it up to experience and look forward to next year.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
I'd just focus on the OP topic...What is Goff looks terrible.

I say clean house, start over if that happens.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Who are all you Goffaholics and Fisher haters going to blame it on? Fisher for not playing him earlier? The OL for not transforming into a legit force to be reckon with? Boras, a OC that may not make it past one full season at the position?

Most of you 'Goff should have been playing since week 1' guys really rub me the wrong way.To me there were obvious reasons Goff wasn't given the ball. Reasons that us fans are rightfully in the dark over and are in no position to criticize. None of us watch practice every day....'but the media said he was ready...get real...'

Doesn't it occur to any of you that maybe Fisher isn't the only coach who would have chosen to not play Goff? Can we acknowledge that maybe Snead screwed this one up or that like in Tennessee with Bud Adams Fisher was forced into taking a player he didn't believe was the answer for long term success in the league? Does it occur to anyone that Boras hasn't exactly proven himself as a respectable OC. Do we really want a rookie plugged into a system run by this guy, putting the kid into a position to fail, creating irreversible damage to the psyche affecting the long run of young JG's career? Rookies are fragile. Confidence is so importiant in this league.

I just think it's hacky to bitch and moan over the HC of your favorite team and not hold any of the talent accountable for their poor performance.

If you hate Fisher so bad, just stop being a fan of the team. He's our coach. We should be rooting for the man and supporting all the difficult decisions he's had to make.

With all of my heart I can honesty pound my chest and scream Let's go Gof! I'm rooting for the kid so much

I hope he shocks the world and carries this team to the dreaded 7 seed. Of course we would have been 12-4 if Goff started since day one. We obviously would have beaten DET(a game were Case undeniably played lights out), Buffalo, NYG, Carolina and SF.

Personally i'm looking forward to watching KB18 finish to year with 1200 yards and 8 tds. Watching Cooper become a major player. Seeing Tavon get balls fired at his chest 2 yards off the line of scrimmage allowing him to get into open space and burning his shoes off. Seeing Brian Quick put up a 200 yard game at Seattle leading the team to Victory. Witnessing Lance Kendricks transfrom into a top 5 pass catching TE. And finally reading about the FA WRs added to the lineup because that want to play playoff caliber football with the phenom Goff in beautiful LA.

If Keenum was getting the team 24 pts a game, I could understand the argument to let Goff sit. Keenum had 3 games without a TD. He had one or two nice games and that was it. He sucks. I would rather Goff had gotten a full season of live game experience. This myth that Fisher believed in about making the playoffs behind Keenum was a laughable joke.

I don't care if Goff struggles, either. I expect him to and don't need to blame anyone for it. Peyton Manning went 1-15 in his first season. It isn't a big deal if Goff struggles this year. Goff is the future so he should have been getting into real action to get him ready for the future.

Coaches aren't God's. The are people that are capable of being wrong. Lately Fisher has been wrong a lot. Deal with it.

JackStraw

Rookie
I'm surprised a mod hasn't shut this down yet...
God forbid fans have conflicting beliefs. I was genuinely curious to how the Fisher haters would react if Goff were to fail miserably. I can already see Boras being the scapegoat. Which I would have a hard time defending. Lack of talent at the skill positions isn't the reason the offensive is struggling so much. The WRs have proven they can get open. Gurley has proven he can be a star. The OL has overachieved in pass protection(maybe because opposing defenses are not concerned with our passing attack?)

Keenum has been a big reason why this team has struggled to put up points. I really hope this Sunday our golden boy begins a stretch of 50+ consecutive NFL starts.