What Cardinals Fans Are Saying

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamzFanz

Damnit
The key to this game, just like all the games this season, is going to be the O-line IMHO. AD running around is a recipe for disaster.

If there was ever a week we should at least try to ground and pound and let our D do its thing, this might be it.

Keep AD in the pocket where he's effective. Get TM outside. TOs, sacks, TOs, sacks, TOs.

Big Game

Living The Dream
This will not be a cakewalk like a few of there fans believe it should be. Rams are playing good ball on the defensive side. If we can get the offense to move and score like they did the first 5 games we can go into there backyard and steal a victory.

What they failed to mention is we have been in every game this year and either mistakes on our part or some bad calls(we won't talk about that) have caused the outcome to be bad.

Only way the Cardinals really beat us if they throw a ton of quick 3 step drops and we can't stop there run game. Otherwise the Rams will be in this game.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
My God our interior line is about to get destroyed.

And hurt Palmer... the Rams could lose the game and end our season all in one
This^ pretty much describes what I think will happen!! except we are NOT going to lose!!:D

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I have faith the Rams can beat the Cardinals Sunday but I don't know if I have faith that they will. I guess I'm in "show me" mode before I can get too excited about this team. It's less painful that way.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
this game will hinge on our defense getting turnovers. not much faith in the offense. low scoring game is what we need. defense needs to either put points on the board or get our offense starting at near midfield

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://raisingzona.com/2014/11/04/arizona-cardinals-face-tough-st-louis-rams-pass-rush/

Arizona Cardinals Face Tough St Louis Rams Pass Rush
by Scott Allen

The Arizona Cardinals offensive line has played well so far but now they face tough test against the St. Louis Rams pass rush

Arizona Cardinals quarterback Carson Palmer has been sacked just six times in his five starts this season. As a team the Arizona Cardinals have been sacked just 13 times in eight games. We all know what a huge improvement that is over the last several years. Now the St. Louis Rams come knocking.

The St. Louis Rams come in with 14 sacks on the season. You might say through eight games that is an alright number that the Arizona Cardinals can deal with at less than two sacks per game. One problem exists though. The St. Louis Rams had just six sacks through their first seven games, meaning they had eight alone this past Sunday in their 13-10 victory over the San Francisco 49ers.

They may have figured it out now and no better time to figure your pass rush out than when you take to a road game in Glendale against the Arizona Cardinals. The guy they need to watch out for of course is defensive end Robert Quinn.

Quinn was very quiet early on but now has five of those 14 sacks for the Rams. Rookie defensive tackle Aaron Donald is figuring it out as well. He now has three sacks. The Arizona Cardinals also need to watch out for defensive end Eugene Sims. He has two sacks.

The Arizona Cardinals offensive line has improved though so there is no need to panic. Just need to be vigilant. The Rams can not be considered pushovers. That s something the 49ers and the Seattle Seahawks have learned already. If offensive tackles Jared Veldheer and Bobby Massie do their jobs all should be fine.
--------
http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/vb/f4/worst-pass-defense-in-the-nfl-214541.html

"Worst pass defense in the NFL"

The term "worst pass defense in the NFL" has been linked to the Cardinals for a few weeks now and I’m trying to figure out how that is even remotely the truth. The Cards are 9th in opponent passer rating, tied for 1st in interception takeaways, tied for 12th in passing TDs allowed, 16th in opponent’s yards per pass attempt and 14th in opponent completion percentage, but obviously they have "the worst pass defense in the NFL"…

All of those numbers would tell me that the Cards are actually one of the better pass defenses in the NFL at least somewhere in the top 15.
---------
With any kind of pressure on the QB, our secondary would be an elite group. But, as has always been the case in the NFL.........if you give a decent QB time, he will eventually find an open receiver
-------
This is false too. This defense is pressuring the QB constantly. While there are not that many sacks, there are a ton of throw aways, and forced throws. That's because the blitz comes up the middle.
-------
its based on a yards per game measure

if you look at QB rating allowed-- the Cards are middle of the pack

[EDIT]: up to #8 overall after yesterday in QB rating allowed. pretty solid
--------
Why in the world would supposed experts use something so simplistic as YPG to determine who "the worst pass defense in the NFL" is? It makes absolutely no sense. I would be fine with these so called experts saying that this defense gives up the most passing yards, but they actually say we are the worst against the pass.
----------
Also a lot of teams abandon the run against the Cards because they always shut it down early.
---------
Foles had over 400 yards as well(411 IIRC). But then again he had 62 attempts meaning he had a little over 6 yards per attempt. Not that great. The defense is averaging a lot of yard passing per game but the real test is in scoring. 19.5 PPG is pretty good considering. The Chiefs, who are tops in passing defense, give up 17.3 PPG so we're doing pretty good.
----------
Its true teams have passing yardage against us but who cares? They have to pass as we stuff the run, and even with all the passing we are not giving up alot of points! So let them all keep saying we are bad and let other teams believe it, I hope they all fall into the trap of believing our D is bad.
---------
YPG is meaningless. When a team has the ability to rack up that many yards they are more likely to earn more first downs. More first downs keeps that teams defense off the field and gives that offense more opportunities to score. The fact the Cards are finding ways to stop teams when it counts is pretty astounding. Combine that with being 2nd worst in the NFL for sacks per game....it's even more impressive.

On the flipside that says to me the Cards are relying on big time defensive plays too much. You have to give the Cards all the credit in the world for continually finding ways to win this season. It's just being 3rd against the Rush and 32nd against the pass, 2nd worst in sacks is going to be a nightmare anytime we face a team with someone like a Denver, Patriots, or any other team with a prolific passer. It's our main weakness IMO.

The offense still isn't clicking on all cylinders either but again it's a testament to the Cards finding a way to get it done. Normally when a team ranks 28th in Rushing yards you would expect for Passing to be lights out. However, we are in the middle of the pack at 16th. As long as the defense keeps making big plays this isn't as big of a deal. In fact, this is the one area I think the Cards can get better as the season goes along.
-----------
I think that the "worst pass defense" metric is relevant because it may speak to how sustainable the current success of the defense is. It's kind of like advanced metrics: Football Outsiders' DVOA ratings "hate" the Cards because the defense surrenders a ton of yards 19th overall in the NFL as well as 32nd against the pass, and the offense doesn't run on or head of schedule.

Those stats add up to what would seem like a mirage or outlier. If you give up enough yards, teams are eventually going to find the end zone against you. An offense can't survive if it has to convert third-and-eight-plus as often as we seem to.

The upside is that there's no law saying that we can't be a team that is an outlier, and the rate stats that a lot of people are pointing to provide an excellent solution to that problem. I also think that there's an averages problem working against us where we've had a QB like Peyton Manning destroy us through the air, but we barely kept Brandon Weeden under 200 yards.
------------
Rankings after 8 games vs NFL:
#5 Third Down Efficiency 45.4%
----------
All these are interpreted from the positive for the defense perspective.

#1` (Tied) for first in interceptions. (12)
#11 in average yards per attempt (7.4)
#14 in completion percentage against (62.8)
#8 in pass attempts against the defense (320)
#11 (tie) in TD's scored against pass defense. (13)
#7 in opposing QB passer rating. (83.1)

This "worst pass defense in the NFL" only has one more TD scored against it than it does interceptions. Compare that to the "best pass defense in the NFL" in KC that has given up 13 TD's to 4 INT's.

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler
Like someone said earlier, this is the worst 7-1 team I have ever seen. They've had some luck in those wins and I'm hoping we bring their fans back down to Earth on Sunday. I would be more confident if this game was at home, but home games haven't done us well thus far, so...

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
i can understand the pass defense misperceptions. just like the Rams with the run defense.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Far as I know, Niners OL is a lot better than ARZ's. This is especially true in the interior. Palmer isn't known for escaping pressure.

All I ask is we don't give the WR's a bunch of cushion. We got away with some super soft coverage at the snap last week. Palmer turns those into first down.

Cards will struggle in the Red Zone, too.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/vb/f4/cards-vs-rams-could-be-brutal-214603.html

Cards VS Rams could be brutal-----
Sunday's game against the Rams in Glendale could become a very brutal battle that will be decided in the trenches. I say that for a couple of reasons.

First, the Rams have diligently worked to build a defensive front seven that is young, extremely talented, and now is beginning to believe in themselves. As if to punctuate that last point, they used a game-ending goal line stand to not only stop the 'Niners Sunday, but they forced a fumble and recovered for the win with no time left on the clock.

If the previous paragraph was not warning enough that this upcoming game might be seriously tough, a young and talented Dallas defensive front exposed the weakness in our interior offensive line, and exploited it pretty darned well last Sunday. Seeing that, (and knowing that the Rams defense sacked Kaepernic 7 or 8 times last week), one can easily wonder if the Cardinals can keep a much less mobile Carson Palmer up-right and healthy this weekend.

This seems to point to an offense consisting of short, quick passes, which will only subject Palmer to more targets for the Rams defensive front. Barring that, is a game of screens and draws, which is not something that we have thus far shown a real proficiency for; or a more greater reliance on the run, which not only would result in a brutal war in the trenches, but could pile further injury on top of an already hurting Ellington.

In any event, the coaching staff will be challenged this week to find ways to keep from turning the ball over to the Rams ferocious defense. The results could be brutal, and costly for the Cards. The Cardinals coaching staff, and their offensive line will more than earn their pay this week I fear.
----------
I can't imagine anyone is thinking this game will be easy. The Rams absolutely destroyed our offensive line last year in the first game.

To think they added Aaron Donald to a D-line that has Robert Quinn and Chris Long already on it, is downright scary. They have played better in recent weeks, and have already won games against SF and Seattle.

The screen pass has worked well for us and I would like to see Arians and Company make these D-Lineman run. Plenty of screens to WRs, Ellington, and maybe throw Grice one or two
smile.gif
. If our defense does the job and can force quick 3 and outs, I think our offense can wear down the Rams' D.
---------
Maybe I'm wrong but I will say what I said in RMFN's post. I think we win by at least 2 touchdowns. Yes the Rams have a decent defense but this isn't Levi's stadium where half the crowd goes home at halftime to get out of the sun. Also, the 9ers are a very sad sack team right now and the Hawks weren't exactly setting the world on fire when the Rams beat them at home.

The Rams' have a terrific, young d-line but they got eight sacks on a team that is playing with no heart and a coach that's just mailing it in. They did little to adjust to the Rams' pass rush and just looked like crap. I'll be back to eat crow if I'm wrong, but I just don't see it happening. This is the game that the Rams come back to Earth and the Cardinals put the hammer down on a much lesser team.
--------
Don't think you're giving them enough credit Redneck. I'm not worried about winning so much as keeping Palmer alive. We could probably win this game with Stanton.

But the Rams have a ferocious pass rush and we have two bad guards, which happens to be where they attack from. Their stunts are going to work our guards hard all day.

One lucky hit on Palmer and our season is finished, whether we win this game or not--and we probably win in most scenarios.

Frankly, I don't trust either guard to keep Palmer healthy. But I do trust BA enough to pray we run a lot, use whatever screens we have, and get the ball out of Palmer's hands quick. I don't even want to see any deep stuff. Palmer getting laid out isn't worth their sorry team.
---------
Question ????

If Kap doesn't fumble that ball at the 1foot line , how much hand wringing would there be right now??????
---------
Confused about the question.

I think SF sucks frankly. Defensively they're good. People keep saying when they get players back they're fine, but their problem isn't on defense, it's on offense. With all the weapons they have they suck bad. They have multiple weapons on offense, more than we do. They have a really bad offensive line though. It's bad. Kaep can spin a ball, but their OL sucks major ass.

However if you mean hand wringing over the Rams, from our perspective, I'm still stressing even if they lose that game. They sacked that mofo 8 times dude. And he's a lot more mobile than Palmer back there. They beat him up, I saw the game, he took a beating, and when he wasn't sacked he was harassed and stressed. If Palmer has to endure that he will either get hurt or throw INTs, there's no question in my mind. I just trust BA to get him out of it.
-----------
Don't get me wrong, I don't trust our guards either and yes, I've seen their pass rush as well. It's as good as it gets. But BA is a pretty creative guy and I trust he's going to be game planning like a mofo (that's good football lingo, huh?) to offset it a bit. Like you, I hope we run a lot and utilize the screen. We will still take our shots down field, however, (BA can't help himself) and we'll have some success.

On the other hand, the Rams offense isn't very good and their D will be on the field a lot on Sunday. As Cardinal fans, we know what that can do to a defense.

I'm no coach, but I trust ours and nothing that I've seen so far out of him tells me they will be playing scared. Again, I may be wrong, but I think the Cards come out of this one flying high.

Like you said though, it only takes one lucky hit. Of course, you can say that about any game. We shall see. Palmer's proven pretty tough so far.
----------
Half of their sack total came from 1 game.. before that they were as inept at getting to the QB as we are.

Amazing, after one good game they are suddenly the second coming of the steel curtain.
---------
I think we're more talented than the Rams in most every position group, but their D Line is formidable. Unless our crack squad of Larsen, Sendlein, and Fanaika crumble under the pressure, we should be okay. Then again....
---------
All games in our division are physical. That's a given. Doesn't matter who is playing who.
--------
The strength of the Rams D is the outside rush. We will match up well with our tackles. I hope Cooper comes back this game because he has the feet to match up well against both stunts and their inside rush. Play calling will be huge in this game. We can't let the Rams D be able to just tee off on Palmer. I believe we win this game because we have better coaching.
--------
Seven other teams only allowed them to get to their QB less than once a game. The fumble at the end of the game really wasn't caused by the Ram defense. If you watch the snap there was a poor exchange between Kap and his center. He never really quite got a good grip on the ball which was the real cause of the fumble. It actually rolled up his center's back a bit before he got his hands on it. The Rams had nothing to do with it other than recovering it.
----------
ANY NFL team should ALWAYS be EXTREMELY wary of ANY division football game just because of the familiarity and the out-sized impact it has on the playoff picture.

This is universal.

Having said that it's not about the Rams it's about the Cardinals, show up and they will be fine, get some kind of idea in their head they are all that and bad things ALWAYS happen.

Stay hungry.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I don't know what to make of the Rams from game to game. For a while it looked like our only chance was on the offense. The defense struggled mightily and Davis was looking pretty good.

Now Davis is looking like the undrafted rookie he is and the defense was lights out.

I have a feeling the second half of the season we'll settle down to a pretty good defense with an offense that will struggle at times. That's what I thought we'd be way back when.

azcards

UDFA
Far as I know, Niners OL is a lot better than ARZ's. This is especially true in the interior. Palmer isn't known for escaping pressure.

All I ask is we don't give the WR's a bunch of cushion. We got away with some super soft coverage at the snap last week. Palmer turns those into first down.

Cards will struggle in the Red Zone, too.

I'd say this year the Cards have had a slightly better then average o-line as far as pass protection goes. Run blocking sucks which is why Ellington runs way better on the outside. The 9ers oline seems to be doing a horrendous job this year according to their fans.

With that being said, Palmer will face pressure just from your front four, and I expect an RB to help with pass protection. An empty backfield worries me this game to say the least haha.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wouldn't it be awesome if the Rams played good games in back to back weeks, seems like a rarity under Fisher.
Really?
I think the Rams teams have been streaky under Fisher.
2012 they won 3 out of 4 and then 4 out of 5
2013 they won back to back games 3 seperate times
This year hasnt seen the streak yet, here's to hoping that the current 2 of 3 streak turns in to 3 of 4. 4 of 5 etc....

Really?
I think the Rams teams have been streaky under Fisher.
2012 they won 3 out of 4 and then 4 out of 5
2013 they won back to back games 3 seperate times
This year hasnt seen the streak yet, here's to hoping that the current 2 of 3 streak turns in to 3 of 4. 4 of 5 etc....

2013 we weren't anything special against Jacksonville or Tampa, although we did win, and there was a bye between the Colts and Bears games, so they don't count :unsure:.

Penguin.

Rookie
We'd be lucky to score ten points on them. Unless our defense plays lights out, we are toast.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://mmqb.si.com/2014/11/05/nfl-bruce-arians-arizona-cardinals-interview/

bruce-arians-960-aggi-2.jpg

Alex Goodlett/Getty Images

Bruce Arians: ‘Have Fun! Throw It!’
The NFL’s midseason frontrunner for coach of the year on his football life, getting fired in Pittsburgh, babysitting Tiki and Ronde, and lessons learned from Bear Bryant, Peyton Manning and Wally Pipp
By Peter King

One of my great memories from the first year of The MMQB came in June 2013, when I got to sit in on an offensive play-installation meeting at the Arizona Cardinals’ facility in Tempe. Head coach Bruce Arians prowled the front of the room, changing the tone and timber and urgency of his voice often, so the players didn’t get bored, and went through some pass plays that would be featured that day on the practice field.

What interested me the most was a certain attitude Arians had about the passing game that runs counter to the approach of most other teams—actually, just about all other teams. Arians won’t turn down those move-the-sticks completions. But his mantra, stated two or three ways, was best summed up after watching a Carson Palmer checkdown from the previous day’s practice.

Arians was ticked off, and let Palmer know.

“We never, ever want to pass on the home run to complete a short fade,” Arians said.

That day, kicker Jay Feely told me, “Bruce is Rex Ryan without the bravado. Accountability is his big trait. He knows exactly how to get his point across.’’

It’s working. Arizona is an NFL-best 7-1 and the only team unbeaten in conference play at the season’s midpoint. His best call of the first half came 10 days ago against Philadelphia, illustrating his philosophy perfectly: Trailing by three with 1:33 left, on a third-and-five from their own 25-yard line, Palmer threw an all-or-nothing bomb. The 75-yard TD pass to John Brown beat the Eagles.

So, in this episode of Unplugged, we begin with just where Arians developed that coaching boldness.

On his offensive style

“I think just through the years, people I’ve been around, have taught me this way. Starting with my head coach in college, Jimmy Sharp at Virginia Tech. Take chances. If the chances make sense, take ’em. I was a quarterback, and we ran the wishbone. On our one-yard line, if they pressed our wide receivers, even though we got 99 yards to go, and we need to get away from goal line, he wouldn’t care. He’d call the ‘go’ route. It’s always been my approach. We’ll build a play with first-down capabilities, but also touchdown/downtown capability too. My quarterback has to know: If you have the right matchup, take it.

“When I came here we got Drew Stanton, who I had at Indy [in 2012], and who I knew had that mentality. That was one. That’s why we wanted Carson Palmer. When he was in Cincinnati, he had Chad Johnson and Chris Henry there, and I was coaching in Pittsburgh, and Carson used to drop bombs on us all the time. Henry, especially, was dangerous. So I knew Carson would be right for us—he could play the way I wanted to play.’’

On indoctrinating his quarterbacks

“Oh, yeah, veteran quarterbacks especially, they always want to take the completions. Which is good mostly. But when Carson first got here, he looked at me like I was crazy. I’d tell him, ‘Have fun. Throw it! This is what we do.’ He was like, ‘Really? I can look at the deep ball like that?’ Our reads are often checkdown or touchdown. With the young quarterbacks, it’s easier. Like with Andrew Luck [in Indianapolis, 2012, when Arians was his first offensive coordinator in the NFL]. He loved it. I would say, ‘Andrew, this is easy. I don’t care if it’s third-and-three, if you’ve got T.Y. Hilton deep, throw it.’ We got along great. He was the perfect student.”

On bitterness

“No. Are you kidding? Coaches have to make decisions that are best for the team. That’s what they felt. I have always believed things happen for a reason. I started working for an agent a couple days later. I was tutoring Justin Blackmon before the draft. I was going to retire and just work with some players.’’

‘Things happen for a reason.’

“My wife and I are driving along in Georgia right after I left the Steelers. A couple days after. My phone rings. On the screen it says, ‘CHUCK PAGANO.’ He just got the Indy job. My wife says to me, ‘S—, you’re gonna take this job.’

“Things happen for a reason. Think about it. Chuck’s the defensive coordinator in Baltimore. They just lost the AFC title game in New England. If that kid [Lee Evans] doesn’t drop the touchdown at the end of the game for Baltimore against the Patriots, Chuck’s in the Super Bowl and this never happens. The Colts hire someone else. That’s what I mean: Things happen for a reason.

“So I answer this phone call from Chuck. I could tell in his voice how excited he was. Peyton Manning was still there, and obviously I had a relationship with Peyton from my years coaching him in Indy. I had just talked to Peyton maybe a week before, about maybe coming to work out with him, to throw some with him. Then I went to meet with Chuck. There was great emotion that day, because I loved Indy when I was there—loved Mr. [Jim] Irsay. The decision was easy. I wanted to work for Chuck, and he wanted me to be his offensive coordinator.’’

On replacing Pagano while he was out with leukemia

“I made that real easy for myself, and for everyone there. I never allowed anyone to call me the head coach. I never assumed I would be the head coach. Chuck was the head coach every day he was gone. I simply expanded my role, like, ‘We’re going for it on fourth down.’ I made sure everyone knew who the head coach was. We had Chuck’s locker set up every game. No one took his seat on the bus. No one ever turned the lights off in his office.

“I never feared losing but two times in my life.

“First time was in 1982 on the staff at Alabama. It was coach Bryant’s last game, the Liberty Bowl against Illinois. We all knew we could not lose coach Bryant’s last game. Nobody could live with himself if we let coach Bryant down. And we won that one.

“Second time was the first game Chuck was out. Mr. Irsay said, ‘We’re gonna win this game and go give Chuck the game ball.’ That’s some pressure right there. And we’re playing Green Bay! We’re down 21-3 at the half. My son’s on the sidelines that day and I bounce an idea off him. I say, ‘I think we’re gonna go no-huddle in the second half. I think it’s our only chance to win.’ So we come back and win 30-27. You talk about emotional relief.’’

On having the NFL’s best record despite the defensive losses

“Injuries happen to everybody. Free-agent losses happen to everybody. I preach and preach and preach, ‘The most valuable player on the team is not Larry Fitzgerald. It’s who’s gonna take his place after Larry Fitzgerald gets hurt.’ It happened to me. I was the next man up. I was the assistant coach, and 20 hours after Chuck goes down I am running the team. You’re expected to raise your level of play, no matter what your job is.

“I always tell the Wally Pipp story, even though the players never know who he is, that he’s the guy Lou Gehrig replaced and Wally Pipp could never get his job back. The worst part? They don’t know who Lou Gehrig is.’’

On his favorite phrase: ‘Son of a b—-’

“I don’t know how that happened. But it fits me.’’

On not seeing color

“My freshman year at Virginia Tech, 1970, I had an African-American roommate. J.B. Barber, who became Tiki and Ronde’s father. We were the first inter-racial roommates ever at Virginia Tech. That never bothered me. I was the perfect fit, an inner-city kid [born in Paterson, N.J.]. I played on mostly African-American teams growing up, so it was no big deal to me. J.B. was really cool, but it was a shock to a lot of the southern guys at Virginia Tech. J.B. and I kind of grew up together, playing together and then coaching the year after we got out of college together at Virginia Tech.

“We used to babysit the twins sometimes. Tiki would always get sick; he had fevers and some convulsions. So we would just have Ronde sometimes while they took care of Tiki. Man, the pictures from those days are priceless. I used to have a big perm, this wild hairdo.’’

On his first head-coaching job, at the age of 30, at Temple in 1983

“Extremely frustrating. They had a Division III mentality trying to play a Division I schedule. I scheduled Alabama, Tennessee, Florida, Florida State, Nebraska, BYU. I wanted to model the program after what Howard Schnellenberger did at Miami—playing the best teams in the country. That part was fun. The losing, not fun. We had some good wins. First year, we lost to Pitt 35-0. Next year, at the Vet, we beat Pitt [13-12] on an out-and-up route on third-and-18 late in the game. That was a thrill. Twenty minutes after the game, I’m on stage with the Beach Boys, who were doing a post-game concert there. That was fun.”

On being Peyton Manning’s first pro quarterback coach

“I always think coaching’s more fun in the hard times, when they’re just learning. I loved coaching Peyton Manning. The early times were great. I remember in New England his rookie year, he’d just thrown about his fifth interception of the day [actually third] and we’re getting killed [29-0 early in the fourth quarter]. He comes over to the sidelines and I say, ‘Dude, you’re not coming out of the game. We’re going no-huddle now. You’re gonna learn something now.’

“Watching him grow, watching Ben [Roethlisberger] grow, watching Andrew [Luck] grow, now watching Carson re-grow I guess you’d call it … That’s coaching. That’s coaching, boy.”

On the most misunderstood player he coached

“Tim Couch. Hell of a player. Tim was no bust. It kills me when people call him a bust. His arm was just so torn up he couldn’t play anymore. He would have been a real good one.”

On the coaching life

“Oh my God, it’s been the best life you could ever have. I couldn’t imagine doing anything else. I’ve had kids from Temple on my staff—and offered other kids I had at Temple jobs. I cherish my relationships with so many guys I’ve coached—Ben, Hines Ward, Reggie Wayne, so many others. They see me, they call me coach. That means everything. To get a call from any of my former players asking advice, that’s the biggest thrill in the world I could have.’’

On the lesson he cherishes from Bear Bryant

“Coach ’em hard. Hug ’em later.”

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2013 we weren't anything special against Jacksonville or Tampa, although we did win, and there was a bye between the Colts and Bears games, so they don't count :unsure:.
I think you forgot to use the blue font....