What 49ers Fans Are Saying

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://www.scout.com/nfl/49ers/forums/1922-49ers-hardcore/14232512-game-thread-49ers-rams

GAME THREAD 49ERS @ RAMS

Line: 49ers +8 Prediction: Rams 31, 49ers 9 and Gabbert gets some playing time.

Rams are allowing 19.8 pts/game, compared to the Seahawks 18.3 pts/game. 49ers offense is a monumental disaster and the defense is on the field way too long.

Lowest per game scoring average:

2015 49ers 14.7

2014 Jaguars 15.6

2013 Jaguars 15.4

2012 Chiefs 13.2
--------
Eh, I don't think the Rams are gonna be able to score THAT much. As bad as the Niner's Defense has been at times, their Run Defense has been fairly solid. So, unless Foles & Britt & Austin go out of character & just go off, I think (or HOPE, at least) we'll be able to handle Gurley...if not, it could be a looong day, as we have shown we are NOT a good road team this year!
confused.gif

---------
What makes you think we can stop Gurley? I wish I owned him in my league this week, he's primed to go off on Sunday. I'd guess he ends up over 100 with at least one score.

We handled Peterson but he never does good against us, it was his first game back, and that was the high point of the 49ers season.

32 year old Williams went off for 3 TD's and 77 yards week 2 (his only TD's to date)

30 year old Johnson went off for 110 yards and 2 TD's in week 3 (his only multi TD game and 2 of his 3 to date)

Lacy didn't score week 4 but he still managed 90 yards with a 5 yard average per carry. As a team the Packers had 162 rushing yards and a TD.

The Giants didn't need to run when they had a QB passing with ease on his way to 41 completions, 441 yards and 3 TD's. FWIW both Jennings and Vereen averaged over 4 yards a carry on their limited touches (Jennings 4.2 Vereen 4.8)

Week 6 did see 30 year old Forsett kept in check on 17 carries for 62 yards. Flacco had to throw 53 times playing from behind.

Lynch plowed through the 49ers defense for 122 yards and a TD, it was his best game of the season, though he had been dealing with an injury.

Gurley has been a monster since he started getting regular work. He had 146 yards with a 7.7 average and a long of 52 against Arizona, 159, 5.3, 55 against the Packers and 128, 6.7, 48 against the Browns. Those are ridiculous numbers and its no surprise to see him listed as one of the top RB's this week in every ranking I've seen.
--------
Uuuh....I'm seeing only TWO 100 rushers in 7 games thus far. That's pretty good. That 30 yr old Chris Johnson is playing lights out (like he's CJ2K again), Lynch is Lynch & he's gonna get his. And Williams is not playing anymore because Le'veon Bell is back, so of course he's not going to get opportunities for TD's anymore!
--------
We'll just have to revisit this Sunday afternoon, after Gurleys big game.
---------
The run defense has been 'ok' but not stellar. They do a good job up the middle to some extent (Williams, Dial, and Dorsey have been pretty good at the interior), but if they get past the interior or play away from it, they've had a lot of big runs, as the 49ers tackling in the second level has been suspect.

Very iffy on containment on the outside, too, where they've overrun the pursuit, allowing backs to cut inside and get to the second level. Gurley's proven to be a pretty elusive back, and, once in the open field, he's been as good as anybody. That's where I'd be concerned. If Gurley is being tackled by the safeties and ILB a lot, it could be a long day.

To be fair, they did stiffen up in games where players were gouging them early, but they got gouged, nonetheless. Tartt, Reid, Wilhoite, Bathea.. they all failed to wrap up at times, and that led to big gains. Against Gurley, that could be real trouble.
-------
That's all true. Although, most of the other teams we've played thus far (aside from most them being really good teams) are much more balanced, where the Niner's Defense really needed to focus on the passing games of Roethlisberger, Palmer, Rodgers, & Manning.

Obviously not against the Seahawks, but Lynch always gets his 100yds or so against us. If they are allowed to focus more on the run game, maybe they can slow Gurley down enough to put the game in Foles' & Britt & Austin's hands.
--------
Gurley is 3rd in the league right now with 3.5 yards after contact, and he has more 20 yd runs than any player in the league despite having only played 3 full games (and a quarter). In his last game, he gouged the Cardinals (a top-10 run defense) for 146 yds on just 19 carries.

Consider that Arizona would be a top-4 run defense if they took away Gurley's numbers, and it speaks to how good he's been. I think the fact that a back like Lynch 'always gets 100 on us' is not a good answer when thinking the team can stop Gurley, because he runs with as much power as Lynch, but is far, far more elusive. Don't forget, Gurley's a 6'1, 225 lb back. He's big by any standard; he's a lot like Adrian Peterson.. and, for the Rams, he rightfully conjures up memories of Eric Dickerson.

I hope they figure out how to shut him down, and, to be fair, the sample size for Gurley in the NFL is still small, but he's already doing some historic things in his first few starts, and his college resume suggests it's not a fluke at all. I don't think he's going to decimate the 49ers defense, but I think he's going to do enough on the ground to give Foles and his WR opportunity to make plays.

Foles and the passing game have struggled the past few games, but if the 49ers can't generate a pass rush, Foles is a good enough QB to find the open receivers. Jared Cook, at TE, is a weapon that, given the 49ers difficulty covering TE, could be exploited in the game plan.
-------
Well CRAP
frown.gif
Maybe I was wrong about that 31-9 prediction, HBB...
http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/hyde-will-not-play-vs-rams
---------
BTW - Hyde has been ruled out against the Rams. That certainly lowers the likelihood of a 49er victory, imo, because now the 49ers could be forced to rely on Kap's arm, and that's against one of the best defensive fronts in the game. This will be a good test of Chryst's game planning ability. What will he do to try and reduce the pressure Kap is certainly going to feel? How will he keep the Rams off-balance without Hyde to help carry the ball.

Will Mike Davis or Reggie Bush be given the 'next man up' treatment and handed the ball to run? Or will he find other ways to try and make use of them out of the backfield?

I'm not optimistic given what we've seen in the first seven games. Pressure on the QB and no run game has meant disaster for Kap mostly thus far.
---------
How about we just let Kap AIR IT OUT?!? 4 wides with Torrey Smith, Jerome Simpson, Patton, & Ellington! Bush & Hayne in the backfield. The Rams front 4 is awesome, but their back 7 isn't exactly world-beaters! Heck, why not?!? They'll never see it comin'
tongue.gif

--------
I agree! Maybe he'll get back some confidence if he connects on a few of them.

A viewer’s guide to the 49ers’ upcoming loss

LINK