Weight Loss

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I've been cooking dinner for the family (as I usually do), and I use that bone broth in place of butter or oil and it makes everything taste better. I also made my own butter for them as well. Just whipped up a bunch of heavy cream, and in one batch I added honey - in the other, herbs and garlic. Good stuff.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
X said:
I've been cooking dinner for the family (as I usually do), and I use that bone broth in place of butter or oil and it makes everything taste better. I also made my own butter for them as well. Just whipped up a bunch of heavy cream, and in one batch I added honey - in the other, herbs and garlic. Good stuff.

Sounds great. I've never tried making my own butter. Does it taste better or fresher? Part of my problem with butter is that you really don't know how long ago it was made. Don't get me wrong, I love butter but it has such a long shelf life that the "best by" date means literally nothing.

So you found some bones then? The day after I ordered mine, I was talking to a friend of ours who raise organic free range meats. They said they could get me organically raised bones for less than I paid for the ones I ordered. Doh! Oh well, these are working out well.

Try our first cup o broth (as a regimen) tomorrow morning.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
RamFan503 said:
X said:

Sounds great. I've never tried making my own butter. Does it taste better or fresher? Part of my problem with butter is that you really don't know how long ago it was made. Don't get me wrong, I love butter but it has such a long shelf life that the "best by" date means literally nothing.

So you found some bones then? The day after I ordered mine, I was talking to a friend of ours who raise organic free range meats. They said they could get me organically raised bones for less than I paid for the ones I ordered. Doh! Oh well, these are working out well.

Try our first cup o broth (as a regimen) tomorrow morning.
The butter tastes great. You can season it anyway you like, or just use it plain. It reduces really well when cooking, so you get that clarified butter which is awesome to cook with. All you do is dump some heavy cream in a bowl and go at it with the mixer for about 2-3 minutes. Once it separates and turns yellow, you'll see lumps of butter and a bunch of buttermilk (which is also awesome for baking). You have to rinse it out with ice-cold water though - which just entails dumping iced water into the bowl and mixing it some more until it gets hard. Then just mold it up and put it in a paper towel and squeeze. Boom. Butter.

I get the bones from the Supermarket. I go to the meat department and they wrap up whatever joints they have laying around (joints are the best as that video explained). They're definitely not organic, but it's better than nothing. I can try the health food store down the road and see if they have any, I suppose. The two batches I made were with beef and pork neck bones and a knee/shoulder I got from the meat guys in back.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
X said:
The butter tastes great. You can season it anyway you like, or just use it plain. It reduces really well when cooking, so you get that clarified butter which is awesome to cook with. All you do is dump some heavy cream in a bowl and go at it with the mixer for about 2-3 minutes. Once it separates and turns yellow, you'll see lumps of butter and a bunch of buttermilk (which is also awesome for baking). You have to rinse it out with ice-cold water though - which just entails dumping iced water into the bowl and mixing it some more until it gets hard. Then just mold it up and put it in a paper towel and squeeze. Boom. Butter.

I get the bones from the Supermarket. I go to the meat department and they wrap up whatever joints they have laying around (joints are the best as that video explained). They're definitely not organic, but it's better than nothing. I can try the health food store down the road and see if they have any, I suppose. The two batches I made were with beef and pork neck bones and a knee/shoulder I got from the meat guys in back.

Gonna have to try the butter thing. I think on the bones it is mainly that they should be hormone and steroid free. The cases of beef I use at my restaurant all say raised without added hormones or steroids. Even farmers of grass fed beef use antibiotics though so good luck getting away from those unless you go full organic. As far as antibiotics, grass fed has the same requirements as grained cattle - which is the same with all meat products. The producer just has to withhold the antibiotics for a period of time before slaughter. Supposedly, this gives the cattle, pigs, chickens, etc... sufficient time to "get rid of it" before they are burgers, steaks, and other yummy proteins.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
Check out this site, leangains.com

Intermittent fasting shreds weight off, fat pretty much melts off you. you need to be mentally prepared though because it takes a lot of commitment and hard work.

Good luck brother, I hope you reach your goal through whatever way you choose to handle it. I'm happy for you wanting to be healthier.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
X said:
Will farms sell you Raw Milk (unpasteurized) in Florida? If you can get unpasteurized milk from a grass fed cow, it's unbelievably good tasting and good for you. Further, the butter it makes is just out-of-this-world, both in taste and nutrition. The pasteurization just destroys the goodness in the milk, and leads to digestive problems that cause weight gain. One way to weight loss is to dump pasteurized dairy from your diet. It can be more expensive, but it pays for itself in improved health.

PS. Glad to hear you're liking the bone broth. That stuff will help you heal your gut, and that alone will make you healthier and help you lose weight.

PPS. You can also replace all of your vegetable oils with either virgin olive oil or coconut oil. Real Virgin Coconut oil is very good for you, and will also help keep you digestion system healthy, and thus help to keep weight down.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
RamFan503 said:
X said:

Gonna have to try the butter thing. I think on the bones it is mainly that they should be hormone and steroid free. The cases of beef I use at my restaurant all say raised without added hormones or steroids. Even farmers of grass fed beef use antibiotics though so good luck getting away from those unless you go full organic. As far as antibiotics, grass fed has the same requirements as grained cattle - which is the same with all meat products. The producer just has to withhold the antibiotics for a period of time before slaughter. Supposedly, this gives the cattle, pigs, chickens, etc... sufficient time to "get rid of it" before they are burgers, steaks, and other yummy proteins.
Do the farmers that supply your meat use Soy in their feeds? or just corn and other grains?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Stranger said:
Do the farmers that supply your meat use Soy in their feeds? or just corn and other grains?

I honestly don't know but I suspect they do use soy. We are not in a market where I could even think about specifying all the things I may want. We buy from a local farmer when I can and to run specials.. I do know that they do not use soy but when you look at a restaurant's tiny margins, it's not like I can opt for paying almost three times the normal protein costs on most menu items. I can WANT in this hand and .... well - you probably know the rest.

And no - we don't use peanuts in our slaw. We actually try to stay away from commonly known allergens - real or just perceived. Besides, that to me doesn't sound very appetizing.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
RamFan503 said:
Stranger said:

I honestly don't know but I suspect they do use soy. We are not in a market where I could even think about specifying all the things I may want. We buy from a local farmer when I can and to run specials.. I do know that they do not use soy but when you look at a restaurant's tiny margins, it's not like I can opt for paying almost three times the normal protein costs on most menu items. I can WANT in this hand and .... well - you probably know the rest.

And no - we don't use peanuts in our slaw. We actually try to stay away from commonly known allergens - real or just perceived. Besides, that to me doesn't sound very appetizing.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.armadillowillys.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.armadillowillys.com</a> includes peanuts in their slaw, with a spicy mayo dressing, and it's incredible. I'd never had that before until I ate their once, and while the bbq was average, the slaw with peanuts really struck a good chord with me.

Spicy Peanut Coleslaw Like Armadillo Willy's
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.food.com/recipe/spicy-peanut-coleslaw-like-armadillo-willys-477148" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.food.com/recipe/spicy-peanut ... lys-477148</a>
picjKSP4S.jpg

Ingredients:

6 cups cabbage, chopped (green)
1/2 cup red cabbage, chopped
1/2-1 small carrot, shredded
1/3 cup cilantro, chopped
1/2 cup peanuts

Coleslaw Sauce

1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon hot sauce (Tabasco)
1 teaspoon kosher salt
pepper

GcBean

Rookie
Name
Gil
I really haven't tracked this thread too much, but I too have been a little heavy. I'm 5-8 and I was at 236 a few months ago, and now I'm down to 210. I haven't really tried any extreme diets, I just monitor what I eat through the myfitness pal app on my iphone and started working out. I also wear a heart rate monitor for all my workouts to help me gauge how effective my workouts are. The harder I workout, the more calories I can take in! That's the fun part. After all workouts and food intake, I'm taking in about 1400 calories a day. I should aim a little lower, but this has been good for a very gradual weight loss.

This link is to a bunch of videos my wife and I do. Kettlebells have been my workout of choice lately. This couple below runs their own youtube channel called fitnessblender. Check them out!

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=fitnessblender+kettlebell&oq=fitnessblender+kett&gs_l=youtube.3.0.0l8.12007.12638.0.14709.5.4.0.1.1.0.137.393.1j3.4.0...0.0...1ac.1.11.youtube.F1Z19ABTQrs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... 1Z19ABTQrs</a>

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
GcBean said:
I really haven't tracked this thread too much, but I too have been a little heavy. I'm 5-8 and I was at 236 a few months ago, and now I'm down to 210. I haven't really tried any extreme diets, I just monitor what I eat through the myfitness pal app on my iphone and started working out. I also wear a heart rate monitor for all my workouts to help me gauge how effective my workouts are. The harder I workout, the more calories I can take in! That's the fun part. After all workouts and food intake, I'm taking in about 1400 calories a day. I should aim a little lower, but this has been good for a very gradual weight loss.

This link is to a bunch of videos my wife and I do. Kettlebells have been my workout of choice lately. This couple below runs their own youtube channel called fitnessblender. Check them out!

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=fitnessblender+kettlebell&oq=fitnessblender+kett&gs_l=youtube.3.0.0l8.12007.12638.0.14709.5.4.0.1.1.0.137.393.1j3.4.0...0.0...1ac.1.11.youtube.F1Z19ABTQrs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... 1Z19ABTQrs</a>

1400 is actually a good number if they arent empty calories and you're working out. Some of the videos were good. Especially the Brazilian Butt one. That dude had me in stitches when he said "the butt is complicated". :mrgreen:

classicpony

Starter
Name
Jim
I will have my girlfriend test out all the stuff posted first.

Attachments

• au26.jpg
    au26.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 193

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
To all those involved in the contest, how's it going? Can a guy get an update.

BTW if anyone is in the process of trying out new diets, I have followed an IF diet over the past few weeks and have had fabulous results. May wanna check it out

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
libertadrocks said:

BTW if anyone is in the process of trying out new diets, I have followed an IF diet over the past few weeks and have had fabulous results. May wanna check it out
Which IF are you following. I am following the 24 hr IF myself

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
Rabid Ram said:
libertadrocks said:

Yep I'm doing the same. I align my fast days with my workout schedule, so I fast once one week and twice the next. You like it as much as I do?

The fast days arent easy but I have been able to maintain muscle mass while shedding fat.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
Intermittent fasting(IF)

For those that may not be familiar to the term,intermittent fasting is just taking “intermittent” times of fasting (no food) and working them into your lifestyle. This can be either daily or a couple times a week (will get into that more below).

From what I have read/learned from years of independent research on reduced calorie intake (CR) and IF (**studies listed at end), the conclusions are that using short-term calorie restriction/fasting may be effective when it comes to:

Reducing blood glucose and insulin levels (improving the state of the overall glucose metabolism)

Increasing fatty acid oxidation with increased FFAs (through increasing lipolysis hormones GH,glucagon and adrenaline)

Sparing and preserving muscle tissue (lean mass)

Increasing various health factors (lower inflammation,lower blood pressure, reduced oxidative stress,increased protection against neuro-degenerative diseases,and more)

Keeping the metabolism strong/healthy (as eating more meals does not “speed up” your metabolism)

More can be found here

Info above is from here
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.theiflife.com/intermittent-fasting-101-how-to-start-part-i/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.theiflife.com/intermittent-f ... rt-part-i/</a>

<a class="postlink" href="http://m.wikihow.com/Adopt-an-Intermittent-Fasting-Diet" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://m.wikihow.com/Adopt-an-Intermittent-Fasting-Diet</a>

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
libertadrocks said:
Rabid Ram said:
libertadrocks said:

Yep I'm doing the same. I align my fast days with my workout schedule, so I fast once one week and twice the next. You like it as much as I do?

The fast days arent easy but I have been able to maintain muscle mass while shedding fat.
Yea i currently fast 3 times a week until i get my weight down to where it should be. The fast days can be tough at times but i have found it more to bordem hunger then actual hunger.

Once i have my weight where I want it i plan on transition over to a 16 controlled fast where my caloric intake is during and 8 hour span of the day with good for me food tge rest of the 24 hour period is fast

had

Rookie
I'll tend to get a little flabby and fatty around the waist (beer has to go) (and my son a couple of years ago accused me of having man boobs, which set off a sh*t storm in my world), and I realize that this will likely not be very useful to anyone, but I've found that the quickest way to get rid of the flab is bananas and water. I just start eating bananas and drinking water. For like 4 days. I eat bananas until I'm full and drink water.

It sucks for dinner, but just work through dinner and you don't mind so much.

Good luck with it.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
Rabid Ram said:
libertadrocks said:
Rabid Ram said:
libertadrocks said:

Yea i currently fast 3 times a week until i get my weight down to where it should be. The fast days can be tough at times but i have found it more to bordem hunger then actual hunger.

Once i have my weight where I want it i plan on transition over to a 16 controlled fast where my caloric intake is during and 8 hour span of the day with good for me food tge rest of the 24 hour period is fast

Are you a fan of "Engineering Alpha: Man 2.0"?