We got to add at WR, right?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Tutu has been way better than Benny Skro, who has done little to impact the offence.
I'm not a huge Fan of Skowrenek, but I see his value. He is a very good lead blocker when utilized. He has good hands when targeted. And he is a very good special teams player. I don't think he is going anywhere.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
I agree with those that think Receiver is a need going into the Draft.
However, I think there is a "type" that works with what the Rams do. And, I'm not sure I completely understand all of the traits, but I can make some educated guesses by who's on the existing roster and what works.
McVay will probably stay with the 11 personnel and utilize the Bunch formation most of the time, with receivers in close as opposed to out wide. They seem to have an average but strong build, above average hands, ability to block, functional speed and quickness that allows then to separate, they have good enough speed to generate yards after the catch, but don't really time that well in the forty. Tutu is the exception, but then again sees a minority of the snaps. So ,I think if they draft someone, they will fit this mold.

Ricky Pearsall (Florida), if he lasts to the third round might be the perfect fit.. 6'1" - 192 lbs. 4.50/40 ..arguably the best route runner in the class. Only knock is he will have to work on his blocking. Had an outstanding QB rating of 115 when targeted
Javon Baker (UCF) an Alabama transfer, possible 3rd or 4th round ...... 6'1" - 208 ... 4.48/40 .... great production along with QB rating of 110 when targeted
Luke McCaffrey (Rice) .... 2 year starter at WR after transferring from Nebraska as a QB. 6'1" - 202 lbs ... 4.45/40
Has the most to learn of the 3 but has the pedigree to be great. 5th round would be good value IMO
All 3 had had good week's at the Senior Bowl.... and we know the Rams put alot of stock in players that show well in this venue.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Possibly the best deep threat in the draft aside from Nabors, is Brian Thomas from LSU. He's 6'4" and 204 lbs. He's predicted to be a late first round pick. If the Rams were to pick him, he could give an important added dimension to the offense.

Ladd McConkey from Georgia is 6'- 0" 185 lbs. He could be an even more valuable asset than a pure deep threat. He can do everything. He can get separation underneath and he can go deep. He's got a high football IQ and seems to be the perfect McVay/Shanahan weapon. He's projected as an early second round pick. I would not be shocked if the 49ers took him at pick 31. He would be an awesome weapon for McVay. I really want to see the biggest needs filled on defense. However I would not be disappointed with either of them instead.

The Rams did pick Van Jefferson and Tutu Atwell in round two. They haven't had a first round pick in years. So, its not accurate to say that they don't take receivers in the first round. An argument against taking a receiver early is Kupp and Nacua being 3rd and 5th rounders, and both are very good receivers.

I was listening to the PFF podcast interview of former GM Rick Spielman. He said if a draft is very deep at a position, and weak at a position of need, that a team will usually take the player at a position of need first, knowing that they can get a good player at the deeper position later. This would fit the Rams situation this spring. There are around 10 receivers that could get first round grades, but not many edge rushers or corners rated that highly. Personally I like BPA at a position of need and in picking at 19, this April, a WR could be the BPA.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Rams do love them some round two receivers boy.

oldnotdead

Legend
Like Puka showed talent can be found in all rounds. They won't be looking for breakaway speed. Catch radius, and route running, toughness (breaking tackles and blocking) count for more than pure speed. You can find these guys in the mid-mid rounds. The sub 4.4 speed guys go in the first and second round.

I think the draft might break down:

1. QB
2. CB
3. OT
3. Edge
5. RB
5. WR
5. DB
6. LB
6. PK
6. OL
6. DB

It's all guesswork at this point because so much depends upon the flow of the drafts. Anticipating who is a priority on their board will dictate the order of the picks. I'm assuming they extend Demarcus Robinson for at least 2 (more likely 3) years. I also anticipating them packaging Atwell in a trade up.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
I don't see Atwell going anywhere because he is the receiver with the ability to stretch the field opening up everything for Puka, Kupp and Higbee underneath.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
There's some cap relief in moving-on from Atwell (just under $1.5M) but it doesn't seem to make sense to me.

Good or Bad, Atwell is the Rams' #3 WR right now, and the Rams play mostly three wide receivers. Furthermore, the two guys in front of him (Kupp and Nacua) are terrific but they take a lot of hits, and neither may prove to be very durable. After that, the Rams don't have much at the position.

Now if the Rams add a couple guys ... say they re-sign Robinson or a free agent (Darnell Mooney anyone?); and draft a WR in the 1st through 3rd rounds ... I could see them moving-on from Atwell, as I don't see him getting an new contract for 2025. Otherwise, I think he remains on the Team in 2024.

Now, if Atwell plays like Van Jefferson did last year, and becomes a complete Non-Factor ... then Yes, move-on.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I don't see Atwell going anywhere because he is the receiver with the ability to stretch the field opening up everything for Puka, Kupp and Higbee underneath.
I don’t see why they’d keep him
There's some cap relief in moving-on from Atwell (just under $1.5M) but it doesn't seem to make sense to me.

Good or Bad, Atwell is the Rams' #3 WR right now, and the Rams play mostly three wide receivers. Furthermore, the two guys in front of him (Kupp and Nacua) are terrific but they take a lot of hits, and neither may prove to be very durable. After that, the Rams don't have much at the position.

Now if the Rams add a couple guys ... say they re-sign Robinson or a free agent (Darnell Mooney anyone?); and draft a WR in the 1st through 3rd rounds ... I could see them moving-on from Atwell, as I don't see him getting an new contract for 2025. Otherwise, I think he remains on the Team in 2024.

Now, if Atwell plays like Van Jefferson did last year, and becomes a complete Non-Factor ... then Yes, move-on.
Robinson took Atwell’s spot as the third receiver. Robinson was a post draft signing. He was more valuable to the offense and made more plays than Atwell did per game. So how valuable is Atwell to the Rams? He’s basically a fourth receiver. If a starter is injured, he cannot replace their production, even if it is the number three production that Robinson provided.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Like Puka showed talent can be found in all rounds. They won't be looking for breakaway speed.
Speed is precisely what they should be looking for. It is what our receivers that we find in "all rounds" lack.

Basically Puka & Kupp are like TEs in their strength, physicality, and blocking ability. Both block better than your typical "pass game TEs" that often go higher in the draft, and all you're giving up is a little bit of size. But the bottom line is those two guys are underneath possession options and the Rams can make that work however if you recall McVay discussing a pass game that cannot stretch the field he was quoted as saying he didn't want to live like that (paraphrasing).

Now I don't know if they can fit in the addition they require on offense in this particular offseason and draft. But this WR class is elite and loaded. And we have 4 picks in the first three rounds. If the desire to do so is there, in regards to filling those other needs vs what that wideout gives our offense, the option should be there for them.

Personally I think it's worth it because we have the QB. Not adding that deep threat removes some of the advantages of Stafford. So my guess is they will in fact be targeting speed in this draft. Barring a situation where they go sign a FA to finish up the offense. But the only needs we have on offense are WR (X role) and C.

The other needs like say TE and QB... They have a young option with a year under his belt at TE so it's depth and a blocking role minimum which does not require first three round investment. Same with QB where it's a backup we need which should be fillable midrounds to late as you can take a guy with a limited arm. But don't sleep on what an explosive threat can do for this offense given the QB quality we have behind center.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There's some cap relief in moving-on from Atwell (just under $1.5M) but it doesn't seem to make sense to me
That 1.5 should be spent on Robinson, if they can afford both then so be it. But if cap is tight and only 1 can come back, it would be crazy to bring back Tutu instead of Robinson

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Like I clearly wrote in my post above "Good or Bad, Atwell is the Rams' 3rd WR right now ..."

Are you suggesting that is not a true statement?
Technicalities. My point is that he is not good enough to be a number three in this offense. He was best out by a stretch free agent who had to learn the offense.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Technicalities.
Writing that "Atwell is the Rams' 3rd WR right now" is ... Technically ... Entirely Accurate.

My point is that he is not good enough to be a number three in this offense.
So then just say that.

By-the-way, I also clearly wrote in my initial post ...
"... if the Rams add a couple guys (re-signing Robinson / draft choice) I could see them moving-on from Atwell"

So "technically" ... we agree.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Writing that "Atwell is the Rams' 3rd WR right now" is ... Technically ... Entirely Accurate.

So then just say that.

By-the-way, I also clearly wrote in my initial post ...
"... if the Rams add a couple guys (re-signing Robinson / draft choice) I could see them moving-on from Atwell"

So "technically" ... we agree.
My point is he’s not really that good. Yes he’s a third right now but shouldn’t be considered a third. One injury and he becomes the number two. We don’t want that. Like you said, signing Robinson is more important

Memphis Ram

Legend
My point is he’s not really that good. Yes he’s a third right now but shouldn’t be considered a third. One injury and he becomes the number two. We don’t want that. Like you said, signing Robinson is more important
I believe that Atwell is actually a pretty good WR. The problem is simply his size and that he offers nothing on special teams.

If he were a returner, too I wouldn't even consider that the Rams would move on from him.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This part of the season always frustrates me. The draft is a crap shoot and aside from the first couple of picks in the first round, nobody knows anything. Even the teams with all their resources have a large draft board of possibilities and no certainties until it's their time to pick.
On top of all that, when I do start liking a college player, it's certain the Rams won't pick him...lol. So I am going to save myself some time and energy by researching the players we do pick, after the draft, and getting pumped up about the new Rams when it's all real.

WestCoastRam

Legend
This part of the season always frustrates me. The draft is a crap shoot and aside from the first couple of picks in the first round, nobody knows anything. Even the teams with all their resources have a large draft board of possibilities and no certainties until it's their time to pick.
On top of all that, when I do start liking a college player, it's certain the Rams won't pick him...lol. So I am going to save myself some time and energy by researching the players we do pick, after the draft, and getting pumped up about the new Rams when it's all real.
Okay, hear me out, tell us all the players you like and we can eliminate them from our draft boards...

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
1708476817567.png