We Are NOT Losing to Case Keenum

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I don't think Keenum has a good day Sunday.

I don't think Goff does either though.

IMO, this one's a nail-biter.
I was hoping for a Goff photoshop. I walked you right into it and instead i get analysis.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I was hoping for a Goff photoshop. I walked you right into it and instead i get analysis.
Sorry. I serious'd on ya.
I have a different meme for Goff.
I'll unveil it soon enough.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
How so?
This is an entirely different defensive coaching staff.

However, it's not an entirely different staff. Further, our defensive players faced Case in practice every day. We have a lot of film on him over the past two years. We have nothing on Bridgewater since 2015.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
You don’t think the players are allowed to give insight? I bet Robey-Coleman is dying to play him again.
I am sure the players can give insight and will have input but the final play calling and game plan will be the coach's decision.

What is the Robey-Coleman and Case Keenum connection?
I'm missing that.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
However, it's not an entirely different staff. Further, our defensive players faced Case in practice every day. We have a lot of film on him over the past two years. We have nothing on Bridgewater since 2015.
I'll buy the tape and the fact that SOME of our defensive players have faced him, (in practice) but we have an entirely new defensive coaching staff this year.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'll buy the tape and the fact that some of our defensive players have faced him but we have an entirely new defensive coaching staff this year.

Why would the old defensive coaching staff have the goods on Keenum (they aren't scheming to stop their own QB)? It's the offensive coaches who saw what other teams did to shut him down last year and tried to work around it. We still have offensive coaches from last year's staff with the team.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Why would the old defensive coaching staff have the goods on Keenum (they aren't scheming to stop their own QB)? It's the offensive coaches who saw what other teams did to shut him down last year and tried to work around it. We still have offensive coaches from last year's staff with the team.
Of course our defensive coaches were trying to stop Keenum in practice.

Do you think they'd want to destroy the ego of the defense by letting Keenum pass all over them?
And all we have left over on our offensive staff is the running backs coach Peete.
I don't think Peete would know how to stop Keenum unless he sees a flaw in how he hands off the ball.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Of course our defensive coaches were trying to stop Keenum in practice.

No, they were planning to stop our opponent. That's how you practice. You run the opponent's plays with your scout team.

Prior to the season, they were simply installing plays. There would be no point where they would be actively game-planning for Keenum. You don't expend energy game-planning for your own players.

Do you think they'd want to destroy the ego of the defense by letting Keenum pass all over them?
And all we have left over on our offensive staff is the running backs coach Peete.
I don't think Peete would know how to stop Keenum unless he sees a flaw in how he hands off the ball.

We have Dickerson and Peete. Both of whom sat in on the offensive meetings.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I didn't say they were "game planning for Keenum" I said they were trying to stop him in practice.

I would say we have a half assed familiarity with Keenum but not necessarily enough to stop him while he's playing in a real offense and a different offense.
I just don't see it as necessarily a big advantage personally.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I didn't say they were "game planning for Keenum" I said they were trying to stop him in practice.

I would say we have a half assed familiarity with Keenum but not necessarily enough to stop him while he's playing in a real offense and a different offense.
I just don't see it as necessarily a big advantage personally.

I see it as a huge advantage. We know exactly what confuses him, frustrates him, and shut him down last year. We don't know those things with Teddy. And if they were trying to stop him in practice without game-planning for him, wouldn't it be our defensive PLAYERS who have the best insights?

Hell, from watching Case last year, I know how to defend him.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Hell, from watching Case last year, I know how to defend him.
Well are you going to suit up or are you going to tell us how to stop him?

Because he's got some weapons, a running back and a solid o line in front of him this year.

It'll be a hell of a game and a real test.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well are you going to suit up or are you going to tell us how to stop him?

Because he's got some weapons, a running back and a solid o line in front of him this year.

It'll be a hell of a game and a real test.

I've told y'all how to stop him. (y) Contain him in the pocket, collapse the pocket, clog the throwing lanes, and take away his lines of sight. When that happens, Case struggles to see receivers in the underneath passing game, gets a lot of passes tipped at the LOS, and tends to force passes down the field.

Now, the Vikings love using roll-outs, boots, and QB sprints to get him out of the pocket. We have to counter that with blitzes off the edge to put him under immediate pressure and force him to make quick decisions on the move. That puts him in a position to make a mistake and takes advantage of his underwhelming arm strength.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I've told y'all how to stop him. (y) Contain him in the pocket, collapse the pocket, clog the throwing lanes, and take away his lines of sight.
I promise you I'm not trying to be a smart-ass here but isn't this how you try to stop all quarterbacks?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I promise you I'm not trying to be a smart-ass here but isn't this how you try to stop all quarterbacks?

No. That's how you defend short QBs who like to scramble. That approach will give a QB more time in the pocket because you're not attacking the edges with the same vigor. A taller QB like Brady or Big Ben will pick you apart.

BTW, I just remembered that Wade Phillips was the DC in Houston when Case was there, so our defensive staff is familiar with him. ;)

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
BTW, I just remembered that Wade Phillips was the DC in Houston when Case was there, so our defensive staff is familiar with him. ;)
Hey, I like Philips too but he's not an entire one man staff.

And how many quarterbacks was that ago anyway?

The rest I agree with but we're obviously playing a very well-coached team here.
I'm not sure we are going to be able to blitz off the edge or collapse the pocket consistently.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hey, I like Philips too but he's not an entire one man staff.

And how many quarterbacks was that ago anyway?

The rest I agree with but we're obviously playing a very well-coached team here.
I'm not sure we are going to be able to blitz off the edge or collapse the pocket consistently.

Against that OL? We better be.