UDFA Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Exactly. In order for an UDFA to make the roster, someone from last year's roster (or a draft pick) needs to be cut. That should be harder and harder to happen as the roster deepens.

Well, with all of the offensive linemen we've drafted, consider most of the holdovers (Washington, Baker, Bond, etc.) gone. The wide receivers aside from Britt, Quick, Austin, and Bailey are fighting for their jobs (Givens, Damian Williams, Devon Wylie, Emory Blake). McGee, Davis, and Bryant are at risk in terms of defensive backs. The defensive tackles aside from Donald, Brockers, and Fairley (unless he blows his chance somehow) are at risk. Dunbar, Herring, McFadden, and Toomer are all fighting for jobs. Guys like Michael Palardy and the majority of the other tight ends (Smelley, Cunningham, Brodine, and maybe even Bayer) are likely going to be cut. Davis or Keenum could be gone. Running backs like Pead, Reynolds, and Watts are going to be fighting for their jobs (even though I think that Watts makes it). One of our defensive ends could be dealt for a pick (Hayes and Sims seem to be the most likely candidates). Even some draft picks (namely Sasser, Ifedi, and Hager) could have a tough time making this team.

There's always room for UDFAs to make this team. Not many, but definitely a few. There's four that have caught my eye already (I've mentioned them), and I think that they all have a good shot at making this team. Maybe they won't play huge roles right now, but in the future? Definitely.

If I've learned anything from Daren Bates, it's to never count someone out, no matter how stacked the odds may be against them.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
There just might be an opening on the D-line next year because Brockers is going to be a FA I belive and with tough decisions to be made about JJ and Trumaine who will also be FAs we might not want to pay Brockers what the market for him will be.
Except that the Rams gave Brockers the 5th year option. He won't be a FA until 2017.

mikeyboy

UDFA
By my count, that's 8 RBs in camp this year? 5 on roster and 3 newcomers? It's like a reality show, Fisher will be handing out roses.

Seriously, Chase Reynolds you better special team like you've never special teamed before.

Pead, we hardly knew ya.

Except that the Rams gave Brockers the 5th year option. He won't be a FA until 2017.
Pead is gonna be our primary third down back..

Alan

Legend
Ram Quixote with good news:
Darn good news. Must have happened while I was in Jamaica.

Wasn't there another player we had to exercise a 5th year option on? I forget who it was but did we pull the trigger on him too?

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4

Wasn't there another player we had to exercise a 5th year option on? I forget who it was but did we pull the trigger on him too?

Barron. And not at $8 million.

paceram

Pro Bowler

You might be thinking of Mark Barron and if that is who you are thinking of my understanding is that the Rams decided NOT to exercise the 5th year option on him.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Pead is gonna be our primary third down back..

Don't think he adds a single thing to Cunningham. If Mason improves in the passing game we won't see much of him either after the knee heals.

Alan

Legend
Thanks guys. I hope those 4th and 6th round picks weren't wasted.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I'm most excited about Hagen. I think if he ran a 4.4 or better he would have been drafted. Running a 4.6-4.7 and coming from such a small school is what hurt him. The size is great and from the clips I've watched, the dude is a straight center fielder out there in coverage and a sure tackler. With a year of development, he may make McCloud very dispensable. Good luck to all these young men.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Coach, by my count, in this thread, we have added 12 UDFA's, is that accurate!?!:unsure:
thats what I came up with too. By my count, the roster stands at 85. (64 players already under contract/9 draft picks/12 UDFA)

CoachO

Hall of Fame
My guesses, without seeing the rest of the potential UDFAs:

Louis Trinca-Pasat (fourth defensive tackle in rotation)
Imoan Claiborne (cornerback/free safety backup and special teams)
Isiah Ferguson (fifth wide receiver and special teams)
Matt Longacre (practice squad, but if he impresses like Westbrooks did, don't be surprised to see him on the line in the near future)
-- no way Ferguson passes the likes of Sasser, Blake not to mention Givens.
-- 4th DT maybe as a camp body, but with the way Wauffle likes to slide Sims and/or Hayes inside on passing downs, along wiht Westbrooks being a swing DE/DT type, its doubtful IMO.

I just don't see many openings on this roster for the types of guys they are bringing in as UDFA.

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
For those wondering about Bradly Marquez (not the boxing match), he has posts all over his twitter account saying he signed with the Rams. Safe to assume he's not an Eagle.

Memento

Name
Jemma
-- no way Ferguson passes the likes of Sasser, Blake not to mention Givens.
-- 4th DT maybe as a camp body, but with the way Wauffle likes to slide Sims and/or Hayes inside on passing downs, along wiht Westbrooks being a swing DE/DT type, its doubtful IMO.

I just don't see many openings on this roster for the types of guys they are bringing in as UDFA.

Who says that Sasser, Blake, and Givens are locks to make the roster? Out of all of them, only Blake can play special teams. Ferguson has a ton of potential, and he has played special teams before. Draft picks aren't guaranteed locks to make the roster, as you know well.

And if they kept Carrington, of all people, as a fourth tackle for all of last year, then surely LTP, who is more talented at this point of his career, has more of a chance to make it, right?

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Who says that Sasser, Blake, and Givens are locks to make the roster? Out of all of them, only Blake can play special teams. Ferguson has a ton of potential, and he has played special teams before. Draft picks aren't guaranteed locks to make the roster, as you know well.

And if they kept Carrington, of all people, as a fourth tackle for all of last year, then surely LTP, who is more talented at this point of his career, has more of a chance to make it, right?
not seeing it,, but hey, thats why they go to training camp.

As far as DT, its "Fairley" obvious they intend on going with more of a 3 man rotation, with the emergence of Aaron Donald. And the "4th" guy will be a combination of Sims and Hayes sliding inside.

Memento

Name
Jemma
not seeing it,, but hey, thats why they go to training camp.

As far as DT, its "Fairley" obvious they intend on going with more of a 3 man rotation, with the emergence of Aaron Donald. And the "4th" guy will be a combination of Sims and Hayes sliding inside.

They'll still keep a fourth guy on the roster just in case one of them - and I hope to fate that they don't - go down with an injury or whatever.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
They'll still keep a fourth guy on the roster just in case one of them - and I hope to fate that they don't - go down with an injury or whatever.
Practice Squad? at best. They seem to bein love with what Westbrooks brings in terms of versatility. He most likely will slide inside this year and be the backup to the 3-tech. Although, doubt he is on the 46 man Active Roster on many Sundays, barring that injury you point out.

Memento

Name
Jemma
Practice Squad? at best. They seem to bein love with what Westbrooks brings in terms of versatility. He most likely will slide inside this year and be the backup to the 3-tech. Although, doubt he is on the 46 man Active Roster on many Sundays, barring that injury you point out.

I just feel that they're still going to keep a fourth true defensive tackle on the roster. That's what they've done every season they've been here. No reason why that should change.