Trust you're own eyes...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks max.

Wow! Mosley? Did he say why we'd pick an ILB?

He said Mosley is a great leader and coach on the field with a high football IQ. He can play MLB or SLB. He thinks Mosley is a Fisher guy.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
I felt the same way. Gabbert had a great arm but terrible timing and below average accuracy. If you could have put Chase Daniel's head on Gabbert's body you would have had the perfect QB.

Yeah. Why didn't Mayock see that? My view is that Mayock is a hard worker with a lot of connections but he's not the sharpest tool in the shed.

tbux

Rookie
Yeah. Why didn't Mayock see that? My view is that Mayock is a hard worker with a lot of connections but he's not the sharpest tool in the shed.

because he missed on one? you remember how many people loved Clausen? Rivers? it happens- you can look the part on film in college, but not translate for any myriad of reasons. I assure you if you scout hundreds of prospects- you are going to miss on many- it happens to the best of them- Mayock is good- he simply missed - tell me who doesn't.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
because he missed on one? you remember how many people loved Clausen? Rivers? it happens- you can look the part on film in college, but not translate for any myriad of reasons. I assure you if you scout hundreds of prospects- you are going to miss on many- it happens to the best of them- Mayock is good- he simply missed - tell me who doesn't.

I think he's ok. He works his tail off, he's very passionate about what he does, and he does have a lot of connections in the NFL, so he gets a good read on what teams are thinking.

I just don't think he's all that smart or insightful. I remember when Vermeil was doing the Combine, man, DV was sharp as a tack.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Why in the heck would I trust my own intuition when there are so many people smarter than me who already have it all figured out? I don't know about you, but I enjoy being a Zombie.

Long Live Zombie-hood!

little-red-riding-hoods-zombie-bbq-20080917044453288_640w.jpg

tbux

Rookie
you're in the minority of those who think Mayock isn't smart or insightful.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
They are all just guys with opinions. I listen to them all and make my own opinion using their insight, highlights, articles, forums...etc.

Alan

Legend
Sum1BTRthnU using logic:
They are all just guys with opinions. I listen to them all and make my own opinion using their insight, highlights, articles, forums...etc.
You know Sum, you should learn the advantages of being more herd like. It's good to be part of a herd. Leading is good too though. ;)

OR

I know, tough choice eh? :)

Sorry, that time of night. I'll stop soon.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
You know Sum, you should learn the advantages of being more herd like. It's good to be part of a herd. Leading is good too though. ;)

OR

I know, tough choice eh? :)

Sorry, that time of night. I'll stop soon.
No you won't. (y)

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
And I'm perfectly ok with that.

Although sometimes I wonder how many people say one thing and think another.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yep. For better or worse, I believe in what my eyes and my gut tell me when I watch these guys. It's why I take the time to watch them and it's why I'll tell you straight up if I haven't seen them or seen enough of them.

Maybe I'll end up being wrong but once I start to distrust my own eyes, it's really pointless to even spend the time watching.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Isn't smart and insightful? I don't really know how one quantifies or qualifies that. So I can't say for sure where I fall on this. But I would never consider Mayock's opinion over my own and there are some things he says that outright make me question if he's actually seen the guy play. Same with his rankings. IMO, he ranks guys before he's really evaluated their film and that hurts his credibility in my eyes.

I also have found myself very disappointed in Cosell this year. Haven't agreed with a lot of his analysis on this year's class. I typically think of him as one of the better guys but this year, have found that I strongly disagree with him on quite a few guys.

Bob McGinn is definitely a guy worth reading because he has so many contacts in the business and will get you actually scouts' opinions. Not that they change my own opinions but if you want accuracy in terms of projections and to read what the "pros" are saying, he's the best since Gosselin stopped doing it all.

Alan

Legend
Agamemnon reading my mind:
Mayock isn't as good as he used to be. imo
I've been thinking the same thing myself Ag. Ever since he became a full time talking head his analysis of players has gone down hill. Too much time on the set and not enough time looking at film?

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
Mayock is defiantly the best of the bunch when it comes to player evals and mock etc... He knows his stuff unfortunately he does have to do his t.v. B.s. Of what the network wants for ratings compared to when he refused ( give a mock every week and talk about Tim Tebow) he seems he has warmed up to the idea of being more "T.V. Friendly". Either way with the added tv bs I think he has the most knowledge and logic than any other of the turds they say are experts and I like listening to him myself. I'm sure he's gotten it wrong on a lot of players but who hasn't?! Did Lombardi, Dick Vermeil, or Bill Walsh always get it right?! No, or else there team would of been full of 1st, 2nd, and 3rd string HOF's.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Isn't smart and insightful? I don't really know how one quantifies or qualifies that. So I can't say for sure where I fall on this. But I would never consider Mayock's opinion over my own and there are some things he says that outright make me question if he's actually seen the guy play. Same with his rankings. IMO, he ranks guys before he's really evaluated their film and that hurts his credibility in my eyes.

I also have found myself very disappointed in Cosell this year. Haven't agreed with a lot of his analysis on this year's class. I typically think of him as one of the better guys but this year, have found that I strongly disagree with him on quite a few guys.

Bob McGinn is definitely a guy worth reading because he has so many contacts in the business and will get you actually scouts' opinions. Not that they change my own opinions but if you want accuracy in terms of projections and to read what the "pros" are saying, he's the best since Gosselin stopped doing it all.

Nice post, jrry.

I like McGinn too. Boylhart is different, I like him because he a bit of an iconoclast. I also like Dan Shonka. He's legit and he's a bit old school. Plus, he's a great guy. He's worth listening too on the Prime Sports Network Podcasts. btw, Shonka is a big Matthews guy, he has him #1. Thinks Matthews should be the Rams pick if they get stuck at #2.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Mayock isn't as good as he used to be. imo

Maybe, Ag.

But I often laugh when I hear all these media guys say how good Vick still is, and how he would be a great fit in so many places. Do they actually believe that garbage that they're spewing? It's so transparent that they just can't get themselves to diss Vick. The guy is done. Just say it, you gutless cowards.

Then you've got guys like Phil Simms saying Andrew Luck has a weak arm before the draft. The off the wall statements by Jaws on Kaepernick. Just crazy talk by these guys.

Some things are pretty obvious to casual observers like us, but still we read wacko comments by the so called experts. And Mayock has his fair share. He said the Rams should dump Bradford and draft a QB with the #2 pick. The guys goes off the deep end sometimes.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Maybe, Ag.

But I often laugh when I hear all these media guys say how good Vick still is, and how he would be a great fit in so many places. Do they actually believe that garbage that they're spewing? It's so transparent that they just can't get themselves to diss Vick. The guy is done. Just say it, you gutless cowards.

Then you've got guys like Phil Simms saying Andrew Luck has a weak arm before the draft. The off the wall statements by Jaws on Kaepernick. Just crazy talk by these guys.

Some things are pretty obvious to casual observers like us, but still we read wacko comments by the so called experts. And Mayock has his fair share. He said the Rams should dump Bradford and draft a QB with the #2 pick. The guys goes off the deep end sometimes.

To be fair to Simms, this is the quote:
But the one thing I don’t see, I just don’t see big time NFL throws. I don’t care what anybody says. I’ve watched a lot of him. He never takes it and rips it in there. And you can say what you want but, man, you’ve got to be able to crease that ball every once in a while. We see it every week in these games. Hey, he can develop it but even in the USC game, you know, he’s very careful with it, guides it a lot, Rich. That’s what I see. There’s not a lot of rotation on the ball and there’s not a tremendous amount of power. Not that you need to have that power arm. I’m not saying you’ve got to have that exclusively but, man, it sure helps when you can do that because there’s four or five plays a game it is about arm strength. And sometimes quarterbacks who don’t have it, they pass those plays up. Why? Well, they go, ‘I don’t know if I can make that throw,’ so they throw it short. That’s why I’m a little more reserved in my judgment than everybody else.

I actually agree with him. Luck's arm strength has improved some in the NFL but he still doesn't have a power arm. I'd label his arm strength as average for a NFL starter. IMO, Bradford has a stronger arm than Luck.

Luck is in that Matt Ryan tier of arm strength imo. And it won't stop him from being successful, as Simms said, but it's not ideal.

Then again, he's also proven he can make big time NFL throws now that he's in the NFL...but in college, he didn't make a ton of big time NFL throws. They were even more of a throw short offense than Bridgewater's Louisville offense. But that's the WCO.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
To be fair to Simms, this is the quote:

I actually agree with him. Luck's arm strength has improved some in the NFL but he still doesn't have a power arm. I'd label his arm strength as average for a NFL starter. IMO, Bradford has a stronger arm than Luck.

Luck is in that Matt Ryan tier of arm strength imo. And it won't stop him from being successful, as Simms said, but it's not ideal.

Then again, he's also proven he can make big time NFL throws now that he's in the NFL...but in college, he didn't make a ton of big time NFL throws. They were even more of a throw short offense than Bridgewater's Louisville offense. But that's the WCO.

Hey jrry, so what do you think of Bridgewater at this point? Have you changed your opinion that you would take him at #2?

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Yeah I mean the guys aren't completely incompetent but if you go back and review their mock drafts they aren't very accurate at all...just educated guesses which obviously is all you can do however, hardly makes them "experts" that some make them out to be. And as far as their player analysis if you really look closely they're they're not saying much that doesn't get tossed around by us fans on these boards, clearly more detailed as it should be but from a content standpoint...not too different.

Someone on the Herd did exactly that, went back and reviewed their draft predictions. It was funny how off base they both were yet they get paid a lot of money to run their mouths about what is going to happen and see that they get it wrong three quarters of the time.