Trumaine Johnson will play out this season under the franchise tag

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ram65

Legend
The Rams need to reel in the decisions on resigning players. If Fisher was giving the orders that could explain part of the recent bad deals or no deals. Tavon overpaid, JJ not signed and TruJo taking the Rams to the woodshed with bags of money. The Donald situation could be trouble because he will be overpaid.

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
Not really a surprise on this at all. But it's still kind of up in the air if this org knows how to pick the right talent. If they''re able to replace the product with a better or near equal product then by all means. But none of us like an obvious downgrade just for this team to save a few bucks. Reminds me of the hated Patriots, how they seem to get rid of a player (who gets too expensive) at the right time and just plug in another succesful yet cheaper part. Freakin' bastards.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Agreed. Demoff has been hailed as a salary cap guru, but he has been off his game the last few years for sure. Some of this has to fall on Snead as well.

Why? He has no say in the money other than, we want this guy or we don't want this guy. Demoff might just turn out to be another "bring them to their knees, John Shaw".

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Again I find this disappointing for a team that has not had a winning season since 2004 lately the Rams have been losing quality players. Before the move to Los Angeles I was confident with Kevin Demoff and his assistant Tony Pastoors negotiating contracts, but after the total whiff on Jenkins and now with Aaron Donald plus losing a quality like Johnson, I'm not very pleased and they better accomplish something for me and other Ram fans to feel better.

Whoa, whoa, whoa, den...

Jenkins turns out to have been a mistake. But it took hindsight to show us that. I'll confess that I was in the camp that favored letting him walk at anywhere near the $12 million mark, and I was far from alone. Turns out that he was worth even more AND turned in a Pro Bowl season, to boot. Oops!

Looks like we might lose TruJo after this year. But even if we do it's not the end of the world. When healthy, he's a good to very good CB. The bigger error was keeping him too long at too high a price rather than losing a player, if you ask me. TruJo was not a world beater "must have". They can find another starting CB for next year in the draft, if necessary, and Wade can develop him just fine.

AD will either be signed to a reasonable contract (for an elite DT) or he will play for another 4 seasons as a Ram at extremely affordable rates via tagging in '19 and '20. I'm betting that there will be a meeting of the minds this offseason. Either way, I'm comfortable with it.

Demoff has done a superb job of managing the cap while retaining the players that his coaches really wanted with the sole exception of JJ.

Demoff is mindful of the other UFA contract extensions coming up and is acting accordingly.

That's a pretty good record, if you ask me.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Whoa, whoa, whoa, den...

Jenkins turns out to have been a mistake. But it took hindsight to show us that. I'll confess that I was in the camp that favored letting him walk at anywhere near the $12 million mark, and I was far from alone. Turns out that he was worth even more AND turned in a Pro Bowl season, to boot. Oops!

Looks like we might lose TruJo after this year. But even if we do it's not the end of the world. When healthy, he's a good to very good CB. The bigger error was keeping him too long at too high a price rather than losing a player, if you ask me. TruJo was not a world beater "must have". They can find another starting CB for next year in the draft, if necessary, and Wade can develop him just fine.

AD will either be signed to a reasonable contract (for an elite DT) or he will play for another 4 seasons as a Ram at extremely affordable rates via tagging in '19 and '20. I'm betting that there will be a meeting of the minds this offseason. Either way, I'm comfortable with it.

Demoff has done a superb job of managing the cap while retaining the players that his coaches really wanted with the sole exception of JJ.

Demoff is mindful of the other UFA contract extensions coming up and is acting accordingly.

That's a pretty good record, if you ask me.

Really tough for me to swallow because I wanted Jenkins over TruJo all day everyday. I agree with Den though - very disappointing..

And how about this for a microcosm of a Jeff Fisher team:

Jenkins and TruJo were taken in the same draft, 2nd and 3rd rounds - seems unlikely that they both develop into fringe all star caliber players, but they did - good job Fisher

Because they were in the same draft, it was always somewhat apparent that we would only be able to keep one of them if they developed as they did...

Not only did Fisher pick the wrong one, but the one he picked he couldn't get a long term deal done....so now we will end up with neither. Exceeds expectations on one hand and with the other shows complete incompetence. Classic Fisher.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Amazing how different that RGIII trade looks if JJ is still on the Rams....

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I don't trust Trumaine enough to lock him up long term. So if I'm the GM I'd draft CB next year and let him go.

And anyway it seems that he's hell bent on getting top money. If that's the case I would hope Snead passes. We have the defensive staff to draft and develop, just keep Tru this year on the tag then let him walk (collect that round 3 pick) and go get some younger legs for the defense.

tempests

Hall of Fame
Nothing I've heard on this topic tells me the Rams were ever more than lukewarm about resigning TJ. His rookie contract expired a year and a half ago. They've had one conversation that didn't warrant further talks? They want to wait to see how he fits in a new scheme? They're dangling him as trade bait? No part of that suggests they were in it for the long haul with this guy.

Rams money is earmarked for their defensive line, an approach that was almost universally hailed on these boards not so long ago.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...s-trumaine-johnson-will-reach-long-term-deal/

Report: No way Rams, Trumaine Johnson will reach long-term deal
Posted by Michael David Smith on June 27, 2017

502629338-e1485722794730.jpg
Getty Images

Rams cornerback Trumaine Johnson will apparently play for $16.7 million this season, then hit free agency next year.

The Rams and Johnson aren’t close on talks about a long-term deal and won’t get a deal done, Adam Schefter of ESPN reports.

Johnson signed the franchise tender and said he’s happy in Los Angeles, so there’s no reason to believe the two sides being far apart is causing any animosity. It’s just a matter of Johnson thinking he can make more by hitting free agency next year than the Rams are offering him now.

This is the second consecutive year that Johnson got the franchise tag, meaning he’ll get true unrestricted free agency next year. Under NFL rules, franchising Johnson for a third time next year would require the Rams to guarantee him at least $24 million for the 2018 season, which would be prohibitively expensive. So Johnson is one season away from getting to shop his services to the entire league.

RamsFlash80

Pro Bowler
Kind of a double edged sword situation for the Rams. If he balls out its good for the team but could be hard to keep him considering we cant tag him again. He will be able to test the market next year and will get top CB money if he has a good year and he may feel a little disrespected for the Rams not giving him the long term commitment this season. It all comes down to how bad he wants to stay with the team etc. Him having a great year is better all around for the Rams in general because if we lose him for big money we should get a 3rd round comp pick at least. I think Tru probably wants top 5-10 CB money and the Rams are basically saying show us your worth that money. Its risky but we shall see.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams gave him an inflated sense of his value by tagging him.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Bonsignore: With no long-term contract in sight, Rams defensive back Trumaine Johnson faces make-or-break season

As the months dragged on without the Rams and cornerback Trumaine Johnson coming to terms on a long-term contract extension, it became obvious Johnson was facing a make-or-break 2017 season to secure his long-range future with the team.

The sixth-year defensive back is slated to make $16.7 million under the franchise-tag distinction, the second consecutive year he’ll play under the tag. Upon tagging him again in March, the Rams indicated they first wanted to see Johnson perform in Wade Phillips’ new 3-4 defense during offseason practices to get a better handle on his fit in the new scheme.

The sentiment being: They wanted to make sure Johnson was a match before investing more years and money in him.

Well, OTAs have come and gone and no new contract is forthcoming. And based on reports surfacing Tuesday, there won’t be one coming anytime soon.

ESPN’s Adam Schefter reported via a source that Johnson and the Rams are far apart on a long-term deal and no new contract is expected. .

Technically the Rams and Johnson have until July 17 to wrap up a new deal. But that appears a longshot at this point, which means Johnson will play 2017 on the one-year franchise tag.

The bigger issue is next season and beyond.

Johnson, for all intents and purposes, faces a year-long audition to show he’s worthy of a longer investment at the pay rate he is seeking. Especially with deserving defensive standouts lsuch as defensive tackle Aaron Donald and middle linebacker Alec Ogletree up for significant pay raises.

Yes, the Rams were being forthcoming in saying they wanted to make sure Johnson is a fit in their new defense before talking about a long-term deal.

But it goes beyond just the X’s and O’s.

Much more important is how Johnson fits under their salary cap given what appears to be an inevitable – and hefty – extension for Donald and a new contract for Ogletree before he reaches free agency in March.

What complicates things even further is figuring out who Johnson really is, relative to what kind of pay he is demanding and what the Rams are comfortable paying.

Johnson had a breakout season in 2015 with a career-best 71 tackles, seven interceptions and 17 passes defended. And it’s important to note Johnson went into 2015 fighting for his starting job with then-second-year corner E.J. Gaines. In fact, Johnson’s starting role wasn’t secured until Gaines when down with a season-ending foot injury in training camp.

To Johnson’s credit, he put together a Pro Bowl-caliber season and was in line for a major pay raise, and he hit free agency along with fellow starting cornerback Janoris Jenkins and safety Rodney McLeod.

Jenkins and McLeod left the Rams after scoring big-time contracts with the Giants and Eagles, respectively. While the Rams wanted to secure Johnson long-term, they couldn’t reach an agreement.

Unwilling to let him walk, though, the Rams secured him under the franchise tag.

And while Johnson went into 2016 intent on justifying his demands and earning the kind of contract he was seeking, his production slipped to 57 tackles and just one interception.

That meant he and the Rams arrived at a bit of an intersection in March when contract talks reopened. And at that intersection, the two sides still stand.

On one corner, you have the Rams wondering if 2015 was an aberration and weighing the prudence in paying Johnson long-term as one of the top cornerbacks in the league.

On the other, Johnson remains convinced his pay should reflect his status as an elite NFL corner.

With no middle ground to be found, the Rams are content letting this season play out and giving Johnson the opportunity to decide, once and for all, whether he really is one of the best defensive backs in the league.

Meanwhile, Johnson is betting he’ll do exactly that.

If so, he’ll either force the Rams’ hand in paying him what he’s worth or hit free agency next year as one of the best cornerbacks on the market.

If not, that middle ground – if it’s still available – will look a whole lot better.

And while he won’t have sacrificed a penny the past two years in pushing all his cards to the middle of the table – the $30 million he’ll make between 2016 and 2017 is in line with what top cornerbacks make over two-year periods – he’ll be dealing with a completely different Rams salary cap landscape with Donald and Ogletree now in the picture.

Should make for an interesting season.

And a motivated Trumaine Johnson.

http://www.ocregister.com/2017/06/2...season/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I saw this coming way back when. Johnson has no reason to sign that contract until the offseason he is going to make another 40 million guaranteed easy on the open market. That's 70 million in guaranteed money by playing off of Jenkins talent, that's what's really crazy

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
He's gotta get his money now because he knows he's not worth it long term.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
TruJo is a very good player, just not at this contract level.

I suspect he walks after this season on a modest, but not JJ level deal.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
TruJo is a very good player, just not at this contract level.

I suspect he walks after this season on a modest, but not JJ level deal.
I am ok with this, especially if his ability can mostly be replaced by another. AD is the true MUST RESIGN,guy.

Memphis Ram

Legend
The Rams need to reel in the decisions on resigning players. If Fisher was giving the orders that could explain part of the recent bad deals or no deals. Tavon overpaid, JJ not signed and TruJo taking the Rams to the woodshed with bags of money. The Donald situation could be trouble because he will be overpaid.

Many vehemently disagree, but I still don't believe Brockers is worth the approx $10 Million per he is getting either. Run stuffers are just easier to find than pass rushers.

Ram65

Legend
Many vehemently disagree, but I still don't believe Brockers is worth the approx $10 Million per he is getting either. Run stuffers are just easier to find than pass rushers.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/los-angeles-rams/michael-brockers-9824/
Michael Brockers signed a 3 year, $33,250,000 contract with the Los Angeles Rams, including a $3,000,000 signing bonus, $24,396,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $11,083,333. In 2017, Brockers will earn a base salary of $1,250,000 and a roster bonus of $9,000,000, while carrying a cap hit of $11,000,000 and a dead cap value of $17,500,000.

It's actually 11 Mil plus per year. I agree they are going to have watch who and what they pay. Seems like they could have had Brockers for less. He good but, not a pass rusher. That is close to JJ money. They have to start drafting better and developing players to replace ones that take too much cap to keep like the Patsies do. He is the 7th highest paid DT in the NFL.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/average/defensive-tackle/

Michael Brockers
DEFENSIVE TACKLE $11,083,333