Trumaine Johnson will play out this season under the franchise tag

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Rams Unlikely To Extend Trumaine Johnson

USATSI_9020592_168380616_lowres-213x300.jpg

by Dallas Robinson

The odds of the Rams reaching a long-term agreement with franchise-tagged cornerback Trumaine Johnson are extremely slim, according to Jason La Canfora of CBSSports.com. Los Angeles spoke with Johnson’s representatives regarding an extension only once, and the discussions weren’t fruitful enough to warrant another round of talks.Trumaine Johnson

If he’s not extended, Johnson will play under the franchise tag for the second consecutive season. As such, his fully guaranteed base salary for the 2017 campaign will be $16.742MM, a 20% raise over his 2016 salary and the highest figure among cornerbacks for the upcoming year. The 27-year-old Johnson will have earned north of $30MM for the 2016-17 seasons.

The Rams explored trading Johnson this offseason, and while the Browns and Saints reportedly expressed interest, Johnson is now expected to stay put in Los Angeles. New head coach Sean McVay recently indicatedthat Johnson “fits any system. You’re talking about a big corner who can run, he’s physical, he can tackle and he has great ball skills.”

The NFL has pushed back the deadline for franchise players to sign extensions to July 17, meaning the Rams and Johnson have a little less than a month to agree to a long-term deal.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Again I find this disappointing for a team that has not had a winning season since 2004 lately the Rams have been losing quality players. Before the move to Los Angeles I was confident with Kevin Demoff and his assistant Tony Pastoors negotiating contracts, but after the total whiff on Jenkins and now with Aaron Donald plus losing a quality like Johnson, I'm not very pleased and they better accomplish something for me and other Ram fans to feel better.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Good time to throw this rumor out if you're the Rams.

The next move is now in Tru's (and his agent's) hands.

Pretty sure that Tru mentioned that he really wants to stay in LA.

If he doesn't sign an extension... Tru is going to have to ball out like a boss if he expects to earn a good contract from someone going forward.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Again I find this disappointing for a team that has not had a winning season since 2004 lately the Rams have been losing quality players. Before the move to Los Angeles I was confident with Kevin Demoff and his assistant Tony Pastoors negotiating contracts, but after the total whiff on Jenkins and now with Aaron Donald plus losing a quality like Johnson, I'm not very pleased and they better accomplish something for me and other Ram fans to feel better.
Agreed. Demoff has been hailed as a salary cap guru, but he has been off his game the last few years for sure. Some of this has to fall on Snead as well.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Good time to throw this rumor out if you're the Rams.

The next move is now in Tru's (and his agent's) hands.

Pretty sure that Tru mentioned that he really wants to stay in LA.

If he doesn't sign an extension... Tru is going to have to ball out like a boss if he expects to earn a good contract from someone going forward.

Honestly TRU always held all the cards from the moment the Rams let Jenkins go. All the guy has to do is stay healthy and the next team is giving him at least 30 million guaranteed. He made his money already with the Tag and don't forget its 2 teams in LA now.

Tru played his cards right he leveraged the Rams and won. Next offseason he wins again. You're talking about a guy that's looking at close to 50 million in 3 yrs some CBS never see that type of money

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Some of this has to fall on Snead as well.

Not sure we can put that blame on Snead, he's not involved in the contract negotiation whatsoever, Demoff oversees it and Tony Pastoors is the one who works with the agents and gets the players to sign so I'm quite sure in this area Les Snead does not get involved unless it involves Demoff or Pastoors reaching out on the value of the player, which the coaching staff would also have some say.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Not sure we can put that blame on Snead, he's not involved in the contract negotiation whatsoever, Demoff oversees it and Tony Pastoors is the one who works with the agents and gets the players to sign so I'm quite sure in this area Les Snead does not get involved unless it involves Demoff or Pastoors reaching out on the value of the player, which the coaching staff would also have some say.
I meant to mention the coaches as well. I thought Snead worked with the coaches on personnel decisions though.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Honestly TRU always held all the cards from the moment the Rams let Jenkins go. All the guy has to do is stay healthy and the next team is giving him at least 30 million guaranteed. He made his money already with the Tag and don't forget its 2 teams in LA now.

Tru played his cards right he leveraged the Rams and won. Next offseason he wins again. You're talking about a guy that's looking at close to 50 million in 3 yrs some CBS never see that type of money

If he doesn't sign an extension before July 17th... this season's play from Tru will determine his value going forward. He didn't have a very good yr last yr,,, so he better improve his play this yr if he wants to continue NEAR his current pay grade.

Unless he's got retirement on his mind... and in that case... I'd rather not have him signed for years to come.

His performance on the field this year will determine his football future... both in dollars and cleats.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm getting tired of the drama, actually. Hope they can work something out, but if not, "don't let the door hit ya where the Good Lord split ya!"

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Johnson did not earn the money he got last year and I have my doubts he will do so this season.

Demoff needs to stick to their numbers and Johnson needs to prove he is worth a big contract. He's had 1 excellent year otherwise is an average player who has been hurt regularly.

Contract negotiations take both sides and I'm sure Johnson is the one being unreasonable.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
The Rams explored trading Johnson this offseason, and while the Browns and Saints reportedly expressed interest, Johnson is now expected to stay put in Los Angeles. New head coach Sean McVay recently indicated that Johnson “fits any system. You’re talking about a big corner who can run, he’s physical, he can tackle and he has great ball skills.”

In that context, he sure does seem like a coach who's interested in trading a player.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Rams Unlikely To Extend Trumaine Johnson

USATSI_9020592_168380616_lowres-213x300.jpg

by Dallas Robinson

The odds of the Rams reaching a long-term agreement with franchise-tagged cornerback Trumaine Johnson are extremely slim, according to Jason La Canfora of CBSSports.com. Los Angeles spoke with Johnson’s representatives regarding an extension only once, and the discussions weren’t fruitful enough to warrant another round of talks.Trumaine Johnson

If he’s not extended, Johnson will play under the franchise tag for the second consecutive season. As such, his fully guaranteed base salary for the 2017 campaign will be $16.742MM, a 20% raise over his 2016 salary and the highest figure among cornerbacks for the upcoming year. The 27-year-old Johnson will have earned north of $30MM for the 2016-17 seasons.

The Rams explored trading Johnson this offseason, and while the Browns and Saints reportedly expressed interest, Johnson is now expected to stay put in Los Angeles. New head coach Sean McVay recently indicatedthat Johnson “fits any system. You’re talking about a big corner who can run, he’s physical, he can tackle and he has great ball skills.”

The NFL has pushed back the deadline for franchise players to sign extensions to July 17, meaning the Rams and Johnson have a little less than a month to agree to a long-term deal.
Personally I always thought that IF it got done it wouldn't be until the Last minute! The Rams obviously wanted to see how he would fit in Wade Phillips Scheme! Now they are analyzing what they know! I still think it will be at the last minute or not at all. In which case he'll be gone next year, at these prices!

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
The contract negotiations have been ugly for us. Johnson is one thing but they cannot be allowed to botch the Donald contract in this way or this front office should be sent packing.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I meant to mention the coaches as well. I thought Snead worked with the coaches on personnel decisions though.

Personnel Decisions yes, but contract negotiations are totally different. Demoff & Pastoors oversee the cap and they handle all contracts.

Ken

Starter
Name
Ken Morris
Franchise tagging him this season is the one misstep I think this new regime has made. Couldn't they have transition tagged him for a few mil cheaper? If someone signed him for more than he's worth, you let him walk and maybe then draft a CB instead of Everett, etc. Could have had more dollars to possibly have the AD extension done by now.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Title say LaConfora but the article is credited to somebody else. If it's JLC we can bet a deal will be signed very soon with his record of being wrong.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
All the guy has to do is stay healthy and the next team is giving him at least 30 million guaranteed.
And the way he was playing at the end of the season, staying healthy is his primary objective.

If true it means he's not a fit in son of bum's scheme....and we effed up in one of the deepest db drafts in years.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Johnson did not earn the money he got last year and I have my doubts he will do so this season.

Demoff needs to stick to their numbers and Johnson needs to prove he is worth a big contract. He's had 1 excellent year otherwise is an average player who has been hurt regularly.

Contract negotiations take both sides and I'm sure Johnson is the one being unreasonable.
This x1000

fearsomefour

Legend
In term of pending FAs Donald, Ogletree then Johnson in that order.....and it ain't that close.
I think Tru is worth about $12M a year. No CB is worth $17M in my opinion.
Like I said in a different thread if it comes down to those three and one has to go, it's an easy choice. See ya Tru. I only one can be saved that is easy as well, AD obviously.