Todd Gurley: Would You?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
I think that would be a colossal error. Both plans. Murray, McCarron or Mettenberger? Yuck. Sorry man but that sounds like a nightmare to me.

Waiting until the second seems like the best way to miss out on your guy. If there's nobody we like in the first, fine, wait. But it's the QB position. Most important position on the field, you don't skimp on that position.

The objective is to bring Sam back so you don't have to rush the rookie in and can be competitive right away. The objective isn't that Sam is the QB of the future. I mean, I hope he is, but I can't wait around for it anymore. If you're spending a 2nd or 3rd on a QB of the future, you better be damn sure the guy you're getting is going to be good and you better have a damn good reason why he fell that far.

Because, since 2000, the only QBs who have turned into long term starters from the 2nd round are Brees, Dalton, and Kaepernick. Dalton and Kaepernick are both average to above average QBs at best. Geno Smith, Garoppolo and Derek Carr are yet to be seen. That's out of 18 QBs. Even if all three of those guys pan out as long term starters, that's still only 6 of 18(33%). And if we remove those 3 entirely, that's 3 of 15(20%).

If you look at the first round, outside of the top 10 picks(assuming we're less likely to draft a QB if we're out of the top 10), you're talking 5 of 15(33%) if you remove Manuel, Bridgewater, and Manziel. If you assume they make it, that's 8 of 18(44%).

Finally, if you look at QBs picked in the top 10, you have 9 of 18(50%) if you omit Tannehill, Locker, Griffin, and Bortles, and that's counting Bradford as not being a long term starter which would end up being wrong. If you assume all those guys make it, you have 13 of 22(59%).

So, obviously, your best bet is picking a QB in the top 10 and the further you get, the less chances are of finding one. You're talking 50% in the top 10, 33% in the first round without the top 10, and 20% in the 2nd round.

As an aside, as much as I'd hate losing LaMarcus Joyner, I really wish we would have traded up for Teddy Bridgewater. This is with some hindsight because I thought Sam could be our guy and I never expected the injury but I also believe(d) that Bridgewater is going to be a really good NFL QB if given time and developed properly. The guy falling as far as he did was a huge mistake and one we could have capitalized on. But I can't say that I didn't disagree with what they did at the time. Just some hindsight speaking here.

I don't disagree one bit that if you want a starting QB, you should pick one at the top of the first....if he's good enough.

I don't agree on bridgewater. I think he'll be serviceable, but not great. And I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss Mettenberger. The kid dropped due to his knee, but showed some real promise in his pre-season time. Certainly better than our situation right now.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
I don't disagree one bit that if you want a starting QB, you should pick one at the top of the first....if he's good enough.

I don't agree on bridgewater. I think he'll be serviceable, but not great. And I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss Mettenberger. The kid dropped due to his knee, but showed some real promise in his pre-season time. Certainly better than our situation right now.

Mettenberger kind of reminds me of Ryan Mallett, great arm but not so great head, slow to make decisions and don't anticipate or see the field well . Poor or slow recognition of the defense just never improves really at the NFL level.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Gurley might be my favorite player coming out this year, but if the target is QB then you have to get the QB.

Fact is it's a QB driven league. Who is the last RB to carry his team to a SB?

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Mettenberger kind of reminds me of Ryan Mallett, great arm but not so great head, slow to make decisions and don't anticipate or see the field well . Poor or slow recognition of the defense just never improves really at the NFL level.

Rookie QB does not equal Mallett. What is this, his 4th season? I'm just saying, there's some promise there. Would I want Mettenberger to start for us right now, no. But the development looks more promising than Mallett at this point.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Mettenberger dropped because he's a statute that struggles to throw accurately when moved off his spot with character issues.(imo, of course)

jdhommert

Rookie
Mettenberger dropped because he's a statute that struggles to throw accurately when moved off his spot with character issues.(imo, of course)
Mettenberger fell due to character and medical. He was one of the few guys to fail the combine drug test, due to coke iirc...regardless what it was it's idiotic he knew that was coming for months on exactly what day and what time and still did stuff days before

paceram

Pro Bowler
If we didn't have a glaring need for a QB, I'd heavily consider it, even with the "RBs can be had in any round" these days logic.

Beast. Fast, bruising back, with elite vision, balance, and quickness.

Seems like the RB designed for Fisher.

Wish we still had multiple 1st round picks.

While I would love to see the Rams have an opportunity to get Gurley (Well, not really since I am hoping the Rams will NOT be drafting high enough to get him!) I just don't see the Rams passing on Marcus Mariota or even JameisWinston (if, the Rams are convinced his recent character issues or no longer an issues) due to the real uncertainty of Sam Bradford's future (Hopefully, he will get his health back and have a long, successful career with the Rams but I just don't know how much the Rams can gamble on that right now). If they are both gone by the time the Rams pick then maybe Gurley is the answer but I won't be surprised to see the Rams get a lot of production out of both Stacy and Cunningham this season which might make the Rams selecting a RB in the 2015 Draft more of a luxury than a need and since the Rams are not exactly void of needs on their roster I am guessing they will target another position. But, I will NOT complain if they do end up with Gurley (I definitely think he is the REAL DEAL!)!

TGZ

Rookie
Name
Dylan
Who remembers how we couldn't possibly pass on Mark Ingram with the 14th pick in 2011? He was the next elite back.

Then it was Trent Richardson who was the most elite back since Marshall Faulk in 2012? He was the second coming of Adrian Peterson.

Then it was Tavon Austin who was the next Percy Harvin and the most explosive playmaker in years? He was the next elite player.

This past year it was Sammy Watkins who was the missing piece to the offense.

My point is, you will excuse me if I don't immediately fall over myself over the next "elite can't miss" offensive player.

It has to be a QB and beyond QB, I'd imagine there will be players that fill bigger holes with similar talent.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious

He dropped to the 6th round because of his knee. He was a 3rd round pick before that.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He dropped to the 6th round because of his knee. He was a 3rd round pick before that.

Conjecture. He would have went higher if healthy but it's ultimately irrelevant. I don't think he's a worthwhile project and think the 5th/6th round was about where he should have gone. Hell, Aaron Murray tore his ACL as well and went higher than Mettenberger despite having far inferior physical upside.

Mettenberger just isn't that good imo.

ShaneFalco

Who remembers how we couldn't possibly pass on Mark Ingram with the 14th pick in 2011? He was the next elite back.

Then it was Trent Richardson who was the most elite back since Marshall Faulk in 2012? He was the second coming of Adrian Peterson.

Then it was Tavon Austin who was the next Percy Harvin and the most explosive playmaker in years? He was the next elite player.

This past year it was Sammy Watkins who was the missing piece to the offense.

My point is, you will excuse me if I don't immediately fall over myself over the next "elite can't miss" offensive player.

It has to be a QB and beyond QB, I'd imagine there will be players that fill bigger holes with similar talent.
The guy is light years ahead of Ingram, and Richardson.

Austin has yet to play in a offense with an actual qb and an actual offensive coordinator. His game against the Colts shows exactly what he is capable of.

Sammy Watkins was meh. He is alright.

Go watch some Gurley games, he is the georgia offense. Its him. He isnt some back like ingram where they hand off on 3rd and 3. They hand off to him most plays. And he eats up the open grass like he is a giant herd.

V3

Hall of Fame
Nope. We don't need another AP or SJax situation again. Get the QB. They've backed themselves into a hole. They have to go QB.

paceram

Pro Bowler
The guy is light years ahead of Ingram, and Richardson.

Austin has yet to play in a offense with an actual qb and an actual offensive coordinator. His game against the Colts shows exactly what he is capable of.

Sammy Watkins was meh. He is alright.

Go watch some Gurley games, he is the georgia offense. Its him. He isnt some back like ingram where they hand off on 3rd and 3. They hand off to him most plays. And he eats up the open grass like he is a giant herd.

How do you compare Gurley to ex-Bulldog Herschel Walker or is that an unfair comparison since Walker was a very, very special player/athlete? I have never really seen Gurley play (except for highlights) but if he is in the same class as Walker then the Rams probably would have a very difficult time passing on him IF they had the opportunity (which, I am hoping they don't!).

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Rookie QB does not equal Mallett. What is this, his 4th season? I'm just saying, there's some promise there. Would I want Mettenberger to start for us right now, no. But the development looks more promising than Mallett at this point.

I hear what you are saying and agree with your point. All I am saying is Mallett coming out of college reminds me of what I seen last year with Mettenberger. There skill set and play is very similar and as you might imagine, I'm not a big fan of either lol.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Funny you should mention that, Gary Danieldon compared him to Eddie George during the GA -S.Car. game yesterday ,as physical as he is and he returns kicks? And people kick away from him ,he's can't miss for someone

BTW jrry I like your QB does he have an NFL arm ?

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
Drafting solely based on need hasn't always worked out so well for the Rams.

Unless it's at a position that makes no sense (DT, in my opinion) they should probably draft the best player available wherever they end up picking. I know they need a QB, but would hate to reach for one.

Dr C. Hill

Rookie
Name
Doc
The Rams do not "have to get a QB" in the first at all. The last time I checked, Bradford is still under contract and on the roster, and despite his injury he should be ready to go next season. Not one of next years QB's are in the same league as a healthy Bradford IMO.

The Rams do need a QB to develop for sure, but grabbing a first round guy is not a must, unless they feel Bradford is not making progress or is finished. Take the best player for your system and keep rolling.

paceram

Pro Bowler
The Rams do not "have to get a QB" in the first at all. The last time I checked, Bradford is still under contract and on the roster, and despite his injury he should be ready to go next season. Not one of next years QB's are in the same league as a healthy Bradford IMO.

The Rams do need a QB to develop for sure, but grabbing a first round guy is not a must, unless they feel Bradford is not making progress or is finished. Take the best player for your system and keep rolling.

I thought Bradford being ready for next season is very IFFY?