Todd Gurley: Would You?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Athos

Legend
If we didn't have a glaring need for a QB, I'd heavily consider it, even with the "RBs can be had in any round" these days logic.

Beast. Fast, bruising back, with elite vision, balance, and quickness.

Seems like the RB designed for Fisher.

Wish we still had multiple 1st round picks.

ShaneFalco

i dont care what needs we have. You draft Gurley if he is on the board at your spot. Once in a decade type of player. His vision on the field is amazing.

Will be alot better then Stacy or any other back we have.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Would I? Without thinking twice. But we need a QB.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Fuck yes, Gurley is a stud. The next elite back in the NFL without a doubt. Stacy, Mason and Cunningham are great but they don't compare.

Though that would leave the QB situation left unanswered, and that unsettles me.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I don't see RB as a need for this team. Definitely other priorities.

Athos

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Would I? Without thinking twice. But we need a QB.

Oh, I know. But Gurley.....

Damn that kid is on another level of RBs. This is no Trent Richardson, Mark Ingram, bust type. If he stays healthy, he's going to make teams very, very happy. Reminds me of Lynch. Definitely the prototypical RB that would take pressure off your QB.

Again....I wish we had another 1st rounder in our pocket.

And if we hadn't spent a 3rd on Mason, I'd be all in, QB or not. There aren't really any can't miss QBs next year.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Oh, I know. But Gurley.....

Damn that kid is on another level of RBs. This is no Trent Richardson, Mark Ingram, bust type. If he stays healthy, he's going to make teams very, very happy. Reminds me of Lynch. Definitely the prototypical RB that would take pressure off your QB.

Again....I wish we had another 1st rounder in our pocket.

And if we hadn't spent a 3rd on Mason, I'd be all in, QB or not. There aren't really any can't miss QBs next year.

Frankly, it sucks because this draft class is stacked at the top. I wish Sam was playing and the guy so we could potentially grab a Todd Gurley or an Amari Cooper or oe of the other studly players.

But we likely need a QB. Hopefully, we can get a studly one at that position haha.

Athos

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Frankly, it sucks because this draft class is stacked at the top. I wish Sam was playing and the guy so we could potentially grab a Todd Gurley or an Amari Cooper or oe of the other studly players.

But we likely need a QB. Hopefully, we can get a studly one at that position haha.

Yep. Such a damned bummer. Amari Cooper opposite this new and improved Quick would be insane. Gurley would be incredible.

But the gods hate us. Putting Gurley with a healthy Sam would make me delirious.

Agreed. Better prospect than Watkins imo.

I loved Watkins to death, but agreed. Cooper runs the full tree and is equally as fast. Better short area quickness too.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There will be WRs other than Cooper if we want one in this class. Still, Cooper has it all except elite size...but he plays big.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Agreed. Better prospect than Watkins imo.
Agree 100%. Been on the Cooper train for a while. If we had a QB i'd say grab him. Cooper, Quick, Austin and Bailey. Now that would be a badass wr group.

Gurley is a beast as well and would love to have him. Guy is a pure playmaking beast.

Maybe we deaft a QB in the 2nd or move back into the 1st to grab one and use the original 1st on one of them...

Its a nice dream.

Memphis Ram

Legend
If he's the BPA on the draft board at their pick then sure. Of course when I think of is all the losing Viking teams Adrian Peterson has been on over the years I'd guess that players at the QB position might get a boost in some draft grades.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Agree 100%. Been on the Cooper train for a while. If we had a QB i'd say grab him. Cooper, Quick, Austin and Bailey. Now that would be a badass wr group.

Gurley is a beast as well and would love to have him. Guy is a pure playmaking beast.

Maybe we deaft a QB in the 2nd or move back into the 1st to grab one and use the original 1st on one of them...

Its a nice dream.
Yep.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Who says we have to take a QB in the first?

If the objective is to resign Sam at a reduce price, and draft a guy to compete, do you spend a first on the guy you are having a competition with? If we are doing this I'd draft a guy in the second.

This leaves Cooper and Gurley still on the table, and we still get a talented QB who can develop, or step in if Sam goes down again. Or we could trade a 3rd or 4th for Murray, Mccarron, Mettenberger. All three of these SEC guys will have one year in the NFL, and might be better than any of the second round guys this year. Perhaps a 3rd of 4th is too high for one of them though....but you get the idea.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Who says we have to take a QB in the first?

If the objective is to resign Sam at a reduce price, and draft a guy to compete, do you spend a first on the guy you are having a competition with? If we are doing this I'd draft a guy in the second.

This leaves Cooper and Gurley still on the table, and we still get a talented QB who can develop, or step in if Sam goes down again. Or we could trade a 3rd or 4th for Murray, Mccarron, Mettenberger. All three of these SEC guys will have one year in the NFL, and might be better than any of the second round guys this year. Perhaps a 3rd of 4th is too high for one of them though....but you get the idea.

I think that would be a colossal error. Both plans. Murray, McCarron or Mettenberger? Yuck. Sorry man but that sounds like a nightmare to me.

Waiting until the second seems like the best way to miss out on your guy. If there's nobody we like in the first, fine, wait. But it's the QB position. Most important position on the field, you don't skimp on that position.

The objective is to bring Sam back so you don't have to rush the rookie in and can be competitive right away. The objective isn't that Sam is the QB of the future. I mean, I hope he is, but I can't wait around for it anymore. If you're spending a 2nd or 3rd on a QB of the future, you better be damn sure the guy you're getting is going to be good and you better have a damn good reason why he fell that far.

Because, since 2000, the only QBs who have turned into long term starters from the 2nd round are Brees, Dalton, and Kaepernick. Dalton and Kaepernick are both average to above average QBs at best. Geno Smith, Garoppolo and Derek Carr are yet to be seen. That's out of 18 QBs. Even if all three of those guys pan out as long term starters, that's still only 6 of 18(33%). And if we remove those 3 entirely, that's 3 of 15(20%).

If you look at the first round, outside of the top 10 picks(assuming we're less likely to draft a QB if we're out of the top 10), you're talking 5 of 15(33%) if you remove Manuel, Bridgewater, and Manziel. If you assume they make it, that's 8 of 18(44%).

Finally, if you look at QBs picked in the top 10, you have 9 of 18(50%) if you omit Tannehill, Locker, Griffin, and Bortles, and that's counting Bradford as not being a long term starter which would end up being wrong. If you assume all those guys make it, you have 13 of 22(59%).

So, obviously, your best bet is picking a QB in the top 10 and the further you get, the less chances are of finding one. You're talking 50% in the top 10, 33% in the first round without the top 10, and 20% in the 2nd round.

As an aside, as much as I'd hate losing LaMarcus Joyner, I really wish we would have traded up for Teddy Bridgewater. This is with some hindsight because I thought Sam could be our guy and I never expected the injury but I also believe(d) that Bridgewater is going to be a really good NFL QB if given time and developed properly. The guy falling as far as he did was a huge mistake and one we could have capitalized on. But I can't say that I didn't disagree with what they did at the time. Just some hindsight speaking here.